Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

A5H posted:

Sack it, just picked up another 4GB card.
So now I have 10GB total. Should be enough.

If need be you can always switch to jpeg if you feel your running low on space.

Somehow I've ended up with 32gb's worth of SD cards, why in the world I would ever need that much I have no idea, can never be to careful though I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

spf3million posted:

Also looking at a ton of other peoples pictures and thinking about why you like them and reading other peoples' critiques and why they like or dislike those shots really helps me be more creative and get stuff I'm happier with.

This is really important.

Once I (and anyone new to photography) has learnt the basics the only logical next step is to shoot more and look at more. Looking at more has helped me immensely, not just in learning what makes a good and interesting photograph but the ideas and thoughts behind it.

A big inspiration is James Nachtwey, and although I will never shoot in the places he does or get to photograph the people he does it makes you think alot more about your own goals and what the point of you picking up a camera is, and this really helps in driving creativity, at least for me.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Does zone focusing work in apeture priority? or do i have to set the apeture manually on the lens?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Probably ben asked a thousand times already, but im getting an imac on monday (oh god cant wait) and dont know whether to go with what i know and get lightroom or try aperture.

What does everyone prefer?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

does anyone know where that required reading list went? i cant remember who posted it or in what thread, but i cant find it anywhere.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Jahoodie posted:

Perhaps it was the reading list posted by the A Photo Student blog?

http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

Thanks

brad industry posted:

I can't remember who compiled this, but here's a RAR of all the PDFs from those links: http://rapidshare.com/files/324614737/Photography_Reading.rar.html

And thanks.

Aiming to massively grow my photographic book library, both theory and bodies of work.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Ive got the 2009 24" imac and love it, completely different than editing on a laptop, couldnt go back.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

He might have nice work in other areas, but those are pretty awful portraits of very unattractive men.

You never speak that way about Thom Yorke again!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Wait, increased pixel density affecting AF speed? What? As far as I know, the only two things pixel density affects is noise (like you said), and the aperture at which diffraction becomes an issue.

Even then I didn't know 8mp was the magic number for decreasing noise quality.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Anyone do any microstock? worth it?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not really, look in to Getty's Flickr collection.

I find it so hard to shoot stuff for stock, all of my stuff has people in it.

do you submit to the getty collection and then get invited to be a contributer?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Do any of you guys sell images to stock/microstock websites?

Which one(s) are the best? I created an account on shutterstock and istock because it looks like most people have good luck with things there.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm planning to try, but I figure I may as well make a few attempts at making extra cash through those types of sites.

http://www.microstockdiaries.com/

I've been reading this for a while, pretty good site.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Fungah posted:

Its outdoors but as I said, I have no idea what to expect as I've never been before.

Expect sore testicles.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Nausea posted:

Yeah, sorry - forgot to mention that important part.

I'm mainly interested in photojournalism, documentary photography,

You can go out and build an amazing portfolio doing this right away, without any kind of schooling. But its alot easier said than done.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Are there actually alternatives for learning to speak art?

Yes just learn it yourself, talk art with artists, read alot, "getting it" isn't some holy grail that you can only obtain through art school.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Im also with hostgator.

There's a thread up in SAmart with a good signup coupon.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Let me just say, designing even the simplest website with no prior knowledge of html/css/flash or any coding is destroying my brain.

4 days and this is what I have, 4 loving days.

https://www.christopherineson.com

When it finally does get finished i WILL be proud.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's why a lot of people outsource designing their websites. A bit like hiring a photographer for a job rather than teaching yourself photography :v: What you have so far looks great though, I like it.

Thanks, and believe me, If i had the money it would be going to someone else straight away.

I love reading about the web design though, many hours Ive wasted just looked through really great layouts of other peoples sites.

http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/minimalism-around-the-web-design-inspiration-wordpress-themes/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/20/the-showcase-of-big-typography-second-edition/

http://speckyboy.com/2010/03/25/50-examples-of-large-photography-backgrounds-within-web-design/

Tincans posted:

I don't mean to belittle what you've done so far but have you considered other ways of forms of portfolio hosting such as Wordpress, Smugmug and so on?

I used to have a wordpress photo a day thing, I liked it and it was nice and minimalistic but I really fell behind updating, I want this to be something really simple that i can just leave, a few gallery's, contact info, small blog and that's it.

I thought of using wordpress again but its easier (although hard work and alot longer) to start from scratch, no code bloat and I know where and what everything does.

No. 9 posted:

What font are you using for your name?

Its chunk, found in this list i think.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/05/beautiful-high-quality-free-fonts-for-your-designs/

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Dreamweaver makes websites super simple. I made this one in a day with no code writing, just using the UI.

http://www.mr-chompers.com

Nice and simple, I like it, especially your non flash gallery.

Is that simple to do?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

I think the lightroom backup is for your catalog information and not your pictures.

Apart from trying a restore utility i cant think of a way.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You could also make a little diffuser out of an empty film canister if you have any.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

torgeaux posted:

But, it's a thin line. You can also get the "jeez, you've got your camera again?" from people.

Yer sometimes I have to force myself to leave the camera in the bag (I always have it on me though, what if the bar gets taken over by mercenaries, or a bomb goes off, or or...) because sometimes you've just got to enjoy yourself/get drunk.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

William T. Hornaday posted:

You need to learn and practice post processing, I cant say that enough, it might be alot of work to get a nice colour image out of that picture but whats the alternative? Throw it away? Make a lovely auto black and white?

That monkey picture isn't even that hard of a fix by the look of it, just looks a bit washed out. But the black and white is pretty bad anyway, it looks only a little bit better.

Its just as hard to make a good black and white as it is a good colour photograph.

William T. Hornaday posted:

but I guess right now I just don't really have the confidence in my abilities to make it work well. And trial and error hasn't really given me anything promising yet. I guess I'll just have to keep trying until I get better at it.

Go buy a processing book, or go the library, or look at the thousands upon thousands of articles and guides on the internet. Nobody knows this stuff right off the bat, you learn it like anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

baka kaba posted:

What are the differences between Lightroom and the Camera Raw feature in Photoshop? And for anyone who has both, what do you generally use Photoshop for that you can't/don't like to do in Lightroom?

I basically only use lightroom for management and a little bit of colour correction, curves, cropping and stuff like that, and even then very rarely, usually on photos I dont care about or want to get a general idea of what I want. Other than that all my editing is all done inside photoshop, I just prefer to work within layers and for me you have a much finer control of the image in photoshop than you do in lightroom.