Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

DaNzA posted:

Just stock up when sandisk's rebates roll around. They always have some ridiculous prices during the rebate periods eg. extreme iii 16gb for 30~ dollar each.

you're in luck b/c there's one going on now. I'm picking one up soon.

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD8GE3.html 8GB ExtremeIII for $37.95 w/ free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Synctoy 2.0 is also pretty handy. http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
If you haven't seen https://www.whattheduck.net its the worlds niche-iest webcomic.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Over the weekend I went to a night club with some buddies for a bachelor party. I had my SB-600 mounted on the camera and AF assist was on and working great. Then the club really dims the lights and in the darkest corners my AF assist doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know what would cause this? I changed batteries in the flash and it didn't help. I made sure that the AF setting was AF-A on my D90.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

The AF LED always comes on on my 900 when using AF-A or AF-S. Does you still have that problem or was it a one time thing?

not sure, haven't tried it again since sat. It was just really odd that it worked just fine, and then stopped working. I'm hoping it was just operator error.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

What does anyone think is the best (Windows based) program for tagging massive amounts of flickr images? I have a bunch of images that have little or no tags and I'd like to fix this as easily as possible without having to look at each image and adding many blanket tags and individual tags.

I'd like to select a wide group of images and tag them all with the same thing, then go through each and tag them with specifics.

flickr has a built in organizer that can batch add tags to multiple images, you just pick the ones you want and tag away.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Mannequin posted:

Well, using a 4x5 is a pain, and how many 4x5 setups are digital and affordable at the same time? I really don't know to be honest, but at least with digital you can get the results pretty quickly. As far as faking it in Photoshop, I think it's hard to fake shallow depth in Photoshop without a lot of work.

I found a better write-up of this technique here and the photographer giving a video overview of how it works on facebook, here. (Here is a video of him doing it on flickr). From the video, you can see it only takes 10-20 seconds to acquire the shots needed for the panorama, and it probably takes 10-30 minutes of photoshop work later?

Eh.. it's an interesting idea I guess, which might be useful for certain key shots that are important.

I would think that with enough practice, this wouldn't be so difficult. He mentioned using small jpeg format. If you take a bunch of small resolution pictures and put them together, do they form a normal full resolution shot eventually? I mean if he does this for clients, I assume that it blows up to a 8x12 nicely.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dunno posted:

Use some fuji instant 4x5 film in some big old hand-carried speed graphic, or better yet, an old polaroid land camera, you have a beautiful colour print in about 45 seconds (that will scan to about 15 MP of resolution on a cheap flatbed, or 28ish for 4x5) at a cost of about a dollar (two dollars for 4x5), then consider the cost of a half hour of your time spent stitching in photoshop.

the cool thing for me was not the fact that, yes, you could use a MF camera, but this photographer created his own process for it. not only that, he actually shared it with the rest of the world. you have to give him props for those two things.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

A5H posted:

How do you shoot images in a nightclub that look 'cool' and not necessarily photographically great? Is it just, use the flash, open the shutter for a while and then move the camera around a bit once the flash has fired to get light trails and poo poo?

yea thats pretty much it. I stopped down to about 5.6/8 to make sure i had everything in focus, I also like to bounce my flash of something, I have a stofen omni bounce and just point it toward the ceiling. Wide angle lenses also help get that look, its just more fun to get whole bodies with arms and legs and booths and tables. it took me a couple frames to get the flash power right, but after that it was just adjusting the shutter speed for letting in more or less ambient and swirly lights.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

It's easier with front curtain, but you can do both. Rear curtain can look nicer.

with people, i would think front curtain is easier, because they expect the flash right away. when people pose for a picture they only hold it for a moment and then move away. if you had it on rear curtain, you might miss the posed shot depending on how long you open the shutter.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

I would think most, if not all, professionals at least previsualize whether they sketch it or not. It's a good habit to get into anyways.

edit: basically for real shoots you have to have some kind of plan, idea, or whatever to go straight into when you get there. Sometimes I scrap it as soon as I walk into a location and see something better but you gotta have a starting point and be prepared. I also always research the subject before the shoot so I just do it as a part of that.

I've been thinking of larger scale ideas that involve more people. In the last couple of weeks I've been going to locations and trying to take pictures. Yesterday I biked from my house to the oceanfront for a couple hours to figure some poo poo out and I want to go back again today. Photography has done so much to get me out and thinking. Its just so incredibly tough to get the idea out of my head onto paper. Then beyond that, getting 4 or 5 people to help me out.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jackpot posted:

All you need is a truck with a pinhole.

that is awesome as fukc.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

I got in touch with him! Gonna stop by his place on Friday or Saturday to chat with him and see his equipment, and do a photo story on the whole thing. :)

oh man thats cool, is he in the hampton roads area? need an assistant on anything regarding the shoot?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

McMadCow posted:

Newbie question... no, not me.

I'm trying to teach a friend of mine the basics of shooting, and she's having trouble coming up with inspiration to start burning through film. Is there anything out there that anyone knows of that's sort of like an idea list for beginners? I can teach her how to work the camera and I can offer up suggestions for composition, but she's got to be the one that is inspired to point it at something. Any help would be appreciated.

When I started film in high school, I took rolls and rolls and skateboarding shots. Are you into any group activities? Maybe it would be easier to just try and document something. Give you something to focus on, set it on aperture priority and just get comfortable with it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

A little late, but my camera truck feature finally got published in our student paper this week.

Print photo story: http://www.thecaptainslog.org/pdfs/Volume41/Issue10/pg2.pdf (only PDF, sorry, for some reason our online editor doesn't put up the Page Two feature section in our online edition)

Soundslide show: http://www.thecaptainslog.org/multimedia/Camera_truck/

That is really cool, I like the audio slideshow. More news stories should be done like that. What are the prints like? Did you get to see an imaged focused inside the truck?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jackpot posted:

And finally, note the elegant simplicity of the poses. As you see, everyone in all my portraits looks comfortable, relaxed, and not as if they were manipulated into a pose. :)

Seriously though, thanks; I used to have this link and lost it, people always post it when someone asks a question like mine.

It is a long read, but the info is pretty timeless. Its in the OP of the portrait thread if you need to find it again.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
hey peoples looking for schooling. I found this http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/ its a college class that is also a podcast for freezies. I've listened to the first three clases from Fall 09 to make sure its not terrible. I've been learning alot so far because I have zero knowledge of the history of art or photography. The professor seems to be pretty organized and is an easy listen. It feels very much like a typical survey intro course, so his jokes tend to be pretty cheesy.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

This is really interesting. I only took one photo class in school and it was pathetic all around. Before about two years ago I couldn't even name one photographer other than Ansel Adams. I've become more more interested in history, am beginning to dip my toe into theory, and this course is really great. I'm learning a lot of stuff that I've felt I should know for a while now.

I'm greatly considering going back to school in two to three years, and I plan on soaking up stuff like this and the big batch of reading material posted earlier to get me back into the right frame of mind.

Thank you.

the cool thing for me so far is to realize that photography is still very new, and that not much has changed. just listening to the history makes me feel better about everything im doing.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
my nonphoto stuff is hosted on squarespace. its also where i host my blog and portfolio and i use smug mug as a client gallery only where people can buy prints of their event.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
i want wireless tethering with a big tablet. control everything from the tablet and just walk around the subject making adjustments to it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Shmoogy posted:

What kind of tethering and adjustments? If you have a laptop and iphone you can tether the camera to the laptop and control: aperture, shutter, iso, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMu77-ldEw

You can also use live view through it.

Or you can just VNC into your laptop and use the actual windows software which lets you control the shooting, like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5egbFHhTs&feature=related

i dont have an iphone, but it would be sweet to just hold something thin and about 8 or 9 inches of screen that controls the camera without having to tie it to a laptop first. I want a tablet to just wirelessly connected to the camera. I just thought of this, but how sick would it be if it could do augmented reality too and you use your finger or stylus to create exposure masks in real time! Or adjust colors in real time in live view mode.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Has anyone used Kelbytraining.com or Lynda.com for photoshop, workflow, lighting training? I know alot of stuff is already online for free, but it's $200 for a year at Kelby and if I can save time searching for tutorials then its worth it for me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

King Nothing posted:

Over in the Canon thread they're talking about how your minimum shutter speed should be 1/focal length for...maximum sharpness I guess? How does this apply to P&S cameras? My S90's lens is 6.0-22.5mm, which is a 28-105mm equivalent in 35mm. So if I'm fully zoomed out, does that mean I should aim for a 1/28th second minimum shutter speed? Does the f-rating of the lens matter at all?

Generally when people use this rule, they are already shooting 'wide open' at the largest aperture because there isn't enough light. The sharpness you're referring to is the steadiest an average person can hold the camera still while taking the picture. Your're S90 should also have some image stabilization built in. On my Fuji p&S, that IS makes a good bit of difference in low light.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Cyberbob posted:

I saw his photos in an Audi mag a while back... while technically very good, they just wern't appealing to me at all..

edit: they're all on his website.

edit 2: I guess that's what makes photography an art. I'm sure many people would say comments similar to mine above with regards to Martin Schoeller's work, which I hold in the highest regard

You know I went to google Martin Schoeller and he's got a greyed out link for downloading and viewing his portfolio on the iPad already. The Future

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

phootnote posted:

getting the correct exposure is the best way to go, but would it be a better idea to have a photo overexposed or underexposed to fix later?

This is always a tough battle, but really the answer depends, when you have a wide dynamic range of a given scene. I've generally better luck increasing exposure in post, rather than pulling it back down.

If the scene is really dark like an indoor bar, I will try to push my histogram values towards the right without clipping because if you underexpose an overall dark scene it will be noisy in the shadows when you bump it up in post, like Bobthecow said. But, as I recently found out with snow photos, if the scene is overall bright, underexposing ~1 stop is beneficial to preserve all the easily blown highlights.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Where did you go to get the stuff appraised?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Have you checked out the super dorky photo vests? It seems like your running out of space on your body. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/buy/Vests/N/4289358074

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Ration posted:

How do you get passed your biggest hurdles? I've been trying to get into photography for a month or two and it's hard. My source of information has largely been here, POTN and books. I read books about quality composition and I understand the concept. I look at pictures in PAD and SAD and some are appealing, but the vast majority I just don't get. None of it makes sense. In one of the books by Bryan Peterson, there's a picture of a box of tomatoes. Why is a box of tomatoes important enough to justify a place in the book, or a shutter actuation for that matter. On the other hand, in PAD, I have seen images that truly moved me as a viewer but those are far less than the ones that just make me grab my head and wonder.

Aside from equipment, subject matter and the real act of photography... the concept of what is good and what is bad is broken to me. I understand that it is subjective to a certain degree but when learning, what do you focus on? After reading and reading these random images that are referenced just boggle my mind as to why they are considered good. Do I just disregard these in an attempt to keep my sanity or will my appreciation for those grow with time?

Keep at it, are you looking at any photo blogs not about gear or technique? You just have to look at a ton of images. Go through the photo inspiration thread and get the names of some of the photographers mentioned in there and google them. I like finding videos on youtube about their inspiration and thought process.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think school in general is important, and you should finish a 4 year degree in anything you want. The pure mechanical nature of business or art can be learned or worked into. But schooling gives you the framework to test out those mechanicals and figure out poo poo for yourself.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jonus posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a thread here for compact cameras, perhaps I'm just not seeing it? Unless you want to be 'that guy', sometimes its inappropriate to bring along a huge DSLR. I'm interested in an affordable compact camera that will work both for hiking, and for parties. Any particular recommendations, or things that I should avoid?

I was not aware of the 'that guy' label for people who turn up with SLRs. I started taking mine everywhere and taking photos of everything. But the secret sauce is when people see how awesome they look and I make the party seem 10x more crowded and lively, they can't wait to see more.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I finally got Lightroom 3, and it now imports my video files automatically. I'd rather have them go to a separate video folder, but I can't seem to find a way to do it? Has anyone else figured it out? I don't want the video files getting imported into my photo folders.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

aliencowboy posted:

How feasible is taking a panorama handheld? I have a tripod, but it's pretty terrible at keeping a consistent horizontal level.

Don't forget to rotate around the nodal point of the lens and not just twist your body.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's correct. Also, it's not silent like the video might lead you to believe; the shutter fires for each shot.

kacheek-kacheek-kacheek-kacheek-kacheek-kacheek

How does this mode deal with moving people in the shots? In the example they show a static field of soccer players, but if you've got a kid running through it, does it differentiate him?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've used an Xrite that was really easy to use, and the difference is huge in calibrated vs non calibrated. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465156-REG/X_Rite_EODIS2_i1Display_2_Colorimeter_Monitor.html

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've been using smugmug with zero problems, support is top notch for me. But I might try out zenfolio next year because its cheaper, but not sure what the tradeoffs are.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

torgeaux posted:

Are you using it because it "protects" your lens? Or because it helps you get the chicks. If the later, you're fine.

Now I'm confused, I thought chicks dig it when you use protection?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Has anyone here messed around with stereoscopic photography? Things always come in waves, people used to keep parlor books of photos to entertain with, and now there's facebook. Stereo images were super popular at the turn of the century, and now 3D is all the rage. I want to figure out the cheapest way to play with it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

3D photography is going to be the next HDR.

I actually want to do 3D HDR animated gifs, its gunna b awsum.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
But really, who's got info on how to get started on stereo images? I'm particularly confused when it comes to viewing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I do all of my printing through smug mug now, and I chose the Bay Photo option. The stuff looks great and is packaged really well. http://www.bayphoto.com/