Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
nowadays for longer trips I just grab my laptop and a 320 gb usb external drive for redundant copies. Storage is getting cheap and I regret buying a sandisk extreme IV when I could have bought a extreme III for double the capacity.

But then, if I go to the wilderness for a week, a laptop won't help so much at all. Not like I would go on long camping trips nowadays... Or dare to carry my DSLR. Point and shoot, with spare AA batteries sounds like the better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, lightroom is not so great to handle multiple copies and different catalogs. Importing files from a network only imports the location instead of making a new copy. I'm using an econo Lenovo G430a / win7 so performance is not as ideal.

I use the open source FreeFileSync. It's a bit simple to use with a GUI. You first compare 2 directories. Then you choose which action to do, update, mirror, two-way, and customize.

Unfortunately, you can only compare 2 places at a time. I wish there was something freeware like conduit for windows. Manual updating is "safe" by being certain, but it can get tedious. Would appreciate if someone has better options, I checked the sh/sc thread and found 1 or 2 pages.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Wensey posted:

So I recently came across a hysterically awful camera at a garage sale, the Anny-35 Super De Luxe.

Is this camera like the holga or LOMO?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

How do you shoot images in a nightclub that look 'cool' and not necessarily photographically great? Is it just, use the flash, open the shutter for a while and then move the camera around a bit once the flash has fired to get light trails and poo poo?

I think you can use the speed light's second shutter sync. It basically sets the flash to fire near the end of the shutter cycle instead of the usual right after the initial shutter opening.

something like this http://digital-photography-school.com/an-explanation-of-2nd-curtain-sync-flash-or-slow-sync-flash ?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I personally like brighter pictures by over exposing a little bit but then I get weird halos and blown unrecoverable highlights if I try to manipulate it with post:( Brad, can you post a sample photo of a blown picture and not blown out?

What I am experimenting now is to shoot underexposed when shooting people outdoors to get the clouds and then add a fill flash of some sort and fix it with post.

But then this makes the person look kinda dull and I'm terrible at post production, or the problem is just me :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
can you please elaborate some more about that picture you posted please? and if you can, educate us digital neanderthals about slide film =D

caberham fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 10, 2009

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

notlodar posted:

The technicals of the picture or the subject?

and the subject of the picture please. So the picture was suppose to be really dark and almost black at -2 EV yet after post production the red body shape became noticeable?

quote:

Slide film is awesome. I think wikipedia does a better job at it explaining it than I can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversal_film

Seems like very few people develop slide film nowadays. So if slide film had superior perceived colour fidelity, how did you get it printed? Were there any other special processes needed to turn a slide film into a 4R? And loading slide film is just like regular film right? It's just that the technique to shoot is very much different than regular film where you overblown things a bit and bring them back??

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
LR3 beta is not compatible with the older catalogs so I'm not to keen on switching.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

scorntic posted:

I was wondering what file types you guys use to print out pictures. I have a nikon d80, and I know there are different file types on the actual camera to choose from when you're shooting...and I know you can change them in photoshop aswell. I'm asking cause everytime I have them in jpeg format they never print out decently at a kiosk. And its for every digital camera I've ever owned..so I was wondering if there was a special technique I'm missing or something.

thanks! I'm kinda new to post-processing so I'm completely lost

check out https://www.drycreekphoto.com for lots of more info and the print thread. Brad Industry and others have lots of insights. If there are a few keepers, I recommend shooting in RAW because it's much easier to do post processing work. You can fine tune white balance and the colours more than JPEG.

I'm a newbie at this too but it's not really the file type that's the major concern. It's the printer's ICC colour profile which affects how your picture looks on paper. When you make adjustments, adjust your monitor's ICC profile to your designated printer.

If they don't have a ICC profile, then ask if they print in sRGB or CYMK. CHange your settings accordingly and hopefully the pictures turn our right.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I black tape my stuff because I'm too poor to afford a black paint Leica :downsrim:

For me, it's not the theft issue but that Hong Kong is a city of gear fags (myself included). I have seen people putting 5Dii straps on their rebels to fool non DSLR holders how awesome their camera is :suicide: I rather not be part of the circle of people where they like to compare a 40D vs 50D vs 60D vs D90. Plus it's also very fun for me to see how ridiculous can people be in their quest to uncover my xD's identity. I'm also planning on taking some black modeling paint and cover the red rings (except the white one zooms, not much you can do about that can you?)

I even had a few store keepers think that my camera is a 5Dii and give me better service because they think I'm rich :ughh:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
backblaze, carbonite, flickr, smugsmug etc...

so which one to pick? Sure, different services for different needs and I'm sorry for being lazy but file management is starting to be a pain in the rear. Like tagging photos, it has to be done and somehow I think I would be better off in taking fewer and more quality photos so cataloging things would be easier.

Since I'm just an amateur, I think I would like to have flickr pro service since it's integration with facebook and lightroom3 seems very attractive and easy to use. I will probably wait until USB3 disk drives come out and back my photos as a 2nd storage and use flickr as my file dump, I mean portfolio showcase. It's not like I'm going to be relying on photography as a living anyways.

My cousin just gifted me an iPad for Christmas and it looks like a fun toy to play with. However, like previous threads, photo management does feel somewhat constricted based on initial impressions. My albums can only be 1 sub folder from the itunes sync and folders 2 sub levels down the directory are not classified as a unique album. And apparently, the camera connection gear is limited in file transfer capabilities? Maybe I'm using the ipad like the PC but if there was a lightroom app or more fluid synchronization that would be awesome.

Anyone here have any recommended settings for exporting to ipad? Never seem to figure out the % quality for jpegs.

Or the ipad is a huge magnifying loupe to show my inadequacies that I can't focus properly :suicide:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me I want to loving vent.

Just trying to manage and backup my lightroom catalog into a newer drive yet everything takes forever. I have mini-catalogs by year from 2007-2014 and it's brisk enough. But then there are missing files dangling all over the place. Exporting one giant catalog takes freaking forever and sometimes the program crashes already.

God drat it, if I'm paying for Creative CC might as well have a better digital workflow + catalog workflow as well. ARRRRGGG :suicide:

Man, I might just shoot myself in the head and buy some 3 TB SSD and deal with it or something

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Think my biggest gripe with light room is that its workflow is getting out dated. It doesn't have much online capability, team collaboration doesn't exist, and lightroom catalogs dont play nice with multi devices.

Putting it on a network nas or share is disastrous.

As for the subscription model yeah it took me some time to get used to. I pay for drop box, and for the Photoshop plus light room combo. I see it as atoning for all the years of :filez:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

RangerScum posted:

Oh man, I hope for your sake that you upgraded to LR4! Performance not withstanding, LR4 was a huge increase over LR3 when it comes to how it processes photos... almost like night and day. Give it a shot if you haven't!

Excuse me windows vista and win 8 are bad. So that's why I still like to use win XP.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

I remember reading a pretty good argument that Adobe didn't mind that much that their stuff was wildly pirated by individuals, students, hobbyists, etc because it meant that all of those people coming up in the field had working knowledge of their suite already, making it easier for them to transition into industry careers with a preference for and previous experience with their products. Then, they can enforce licensing for companies with, you know, budgets for that sort of thing.

With CC, I think they're trying to hit both markets, as well as the growing freelance and independent markets.

Anyone tried the newer version of dark table/inkscape/gimp?

I used to tried using open source for everything but nowadays I just give up and stick with CC and windows. I actually like adobe bridge and how programs just seamlessly switch and integrate with each other.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be like me. Learn how to use lightroom.

Be more organized. If you are using lightroom, have everything set up as smart collections and tag all your videos and photos. Tag the poo poo out of them.

I set up my photos like some old school file manager tree and managing it sucks ball after 6 years of hobbyist on and off photography.

Import everything by date and use judious amounts of virtual copies instead of physical ones. Make more smart collections and chop your catalog to bits for easier import or export. I literally spent a week backing up and exporting everything to another USB 3.0 portable drive. This loving sucks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are not running a business, don't call your camera gear an investment. Buy whatever you like or can afford and shoot whatever. The what if I upgrade to full frame argument is kind of silly for amateurs and hobbyists. Full frame is expensive as hell and definitely has its merits and perks. Crop sensors are fine and you really can't blame its limitations for your own short comings*. You can always get a nicer tripod, flash, bags.

*for general purposes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are one of those bird photography types, I think you are better off buying a better tele-extender, a super comfortable chair + tent, and a mono-pod. Bird/wild life photography is tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just get lightroom and be done with it.