Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
The Camera Rescue group has lots of stuff on servicing old film cameras as a business and how hard it actually is just to even test if they're working properly. (guess what they're selling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Is the Canon 50mm f2.5 Macro a solid option for documenting plants and fungus I find in the woods? My EF 50mm obviously struggles with closeups of small objects.

I have a similarish lens that I really like for the same purpose. Here's a review of it that shows how close you can get with it.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-olympus-om-zuiko-auto-macro-50mm-13-5/

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/cleaning-what-appears-to-be-foam-from-om-1.84639/

The Olympus slrs have a common issue of foam degrading the silvering on the prism and this looks very similar to yours. I think the only fix is to change the prism but it won't spread to other parts.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't know Darktable but it looks like some open source nerds basically tried to copy/paste Lightroom

100% and the ui is horrendous. Can't find it now but on some photography blog there was an interview of the main developer and they basically said that there's 5 modules (tools) that can handle 99% of editing any photo but for some reason they have 50 and lot of them overlap. Why not hide the extra 45 modules behind some menu? No idea.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

But the base question is is a 50mm lens always a 50mm lens and the answer to that is, as far as I know, yes. I think lenses designed specifically for APS-C might be less girthy?? I'm not sure about that.

Could there be a difference in vignetting in lenses designed for cropped sensor vs full frame? I've understood on some fast film lenses they kinda made the lens oversize so it would have less vignetting fully open. An equal lens, say f1,2 50mm, wouldn't need it on a crop sensor? Or am I thinking this wrong? Probably more difference between lens designs so this is a very academic point.