Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

sorry if this has already been asked, but what are the best ways to deal with super harsh shadows when shooting in bright sunlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Brawnwrong posted:

I've been meaning to try out some long exposure stuff at night for ages now. The problem I have is how do you focus?

I might have missed something blindingly obvious but I find it difficult to focus my shots manually when it's so dark.

Any tips?

zone focusing :frog:

or just use a small aperture with an even longer exposure time to maximize your DOF.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Beastruction posted:

Compare the price to the Ikodot.

lol do people actually buy this? you would obviously still have to use the rangefinder to focus properly, so what's the point?

e: and won't parallax be a huge problem for portrait type shots?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2010

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So basically you get to pay $100 to transform your leica into a holga

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

swagger like us posted:

Whats a good online source/tutorial on first timers to developing film? The OP in the film thread didnt have anything (unless i missed it)

halfway down the first page :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270#post344262317

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mannequin posted:

I've got a question about this photo:

Click here for the full 1404x993 image.

what the hell is going on with the bottom right corner of this image?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

what exactly does the 'definition' slider in Aperture do?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Whenever I upload photos from my EP-1 into lightroom it seems to run some sort of automatic adjustment that makes any shadows look really grainy. Is there any way to get it to leave my shots alone?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the posted:

I shot some Ilford 35mm b/w that I sent away for developing.

I got it back and I scanned it in and it looks like this:

Is that a problem with my scanner? 35mm color film shoots fine with this camera.

It's hard to tell from the scan but it looks like the negative might be dirty as hell? Also the coding at the bottom doesn't quite seem to be in focus so you might have not had the film loaded in the carrier correctly.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

nemoulette posted:

Just got my hands on a Zenit TTL for 12 euros, decent buy? Battery hatch is hosed but should be fine without it, right? Can I get a light meter for an Android or something instead, or should I just shoot wide open and just go 1/500 in decent daylight?

Not sure how fast your lens is but 1/500 wide open will probably overexpose a bit in daylight unless you're using very slow film. The general rule for daylight is 1/ISO speed and f/16.

Regardless, $12 is a pretty good deal for any SLR with a lens thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Are there any free (or very cheap), lightweight photo editors/managers? I used to have lightroom 5 but lost it when I bought a new computer, and have zero interest in paying a monthly subscription to Adobe.

I don't need any advanced features, just photo organization and basic editing (curve control would be nice). Sort of like what Picasa used to be.

I've tried free open source stuff like Darktable, but they all seem to run like poo poo and I would never use 90% of their features.