Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are there any "must read" books about composition I should read? My birthday is coming up and people are asking for gift ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

The Photographer's Eye seems to be pretty well recommended.

By Michael Freeman or John Szarkowski?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

dakana posted:

:ohdear: I got a sudden tightening in my chest at the sight of that.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm very curious to know which movie/scene this is :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm getting sick of waiting for Lightroom to render my RAW files. I'm running a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM, what should I be looking at upgrading to increase Lightroom's speed?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Interrupting Moss posted:

Are you using the 64-bit version?

Does LR utilize the GPU much? If so, maybe look at that?

Running Windows 7 64-Bit, and the LR 3 Beta.

What's that? I need a new video card to replace my 2 year old 8600GT? I better tell the wife you guys advised me to upgrade...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Anyone use the Cheetah Stand? I'm looking at ordering one, but I'm not sure if there's something better available.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Aaaaaaaaaaand they want to charge $53 delivery to Australia. loving stupid arse end of the world country.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

phootnote posted:

would it be illogical to go from 450d to a 40d? i think i want something more substantial....
I went from the 350D to the 7D so... ehhh

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is more of a photoshop/lightroom question but whatever.

I want to be able to export my images with a white border and my watermark as below. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm missing?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is it possible to do that for both landscape and portrait oriented images in one action? I'm almost a complete photoshop newbie :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Thanks! I'll have to try it out, I'm always happy to pay for decent software :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Speaking of which, I just got it set up and working. £5 donation sent to the author.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Can anyone explain how Joey L is so successful at such a young age? It boggles my mind.

He is a great photographer, but he must have had some connections to get where he is so quickly.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

brad industry posted:

Self-financed medium/large production shoots and spent a lot of money marketing the images. If I had a trust fund I'd do the exact same thing.
I thought it might be something like that. If I'd been given a shitload of cash at such a young age I'm pretty certain I would have just wasted it on stupid crap.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Photography cheat sheets if you want them.

TheFuglyStik posted:

Pick up some books on composition and use of color in photos to start off if you want to 'get it.'
I've got a couple of books on composition, but can you suggest anything on colour?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Search ebay for "1950s fabric" there's a shitload of results, hopefully something in the size you're after :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Obscurum posted:

I tried this out with the D90 and there really is no way to wedge in a card. If other nikon cameras have the same built in flash setup that the d90 does then this won't work for nikons. :(
Just another reason why Canon is the far superior brand :smug:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I shot a charity event today and now that I'm in post, I'm very glad everyone was wearing a nice white nametag. It's really helping sort out my white balance issues :cool:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm doing a 10 week (3 hours a week) lighting course that is costing me $295. At just under $10/hour it feels like a bargain.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Hop Pocket posted:

That's something I'd REALLY be interested in. How did you find the class?

It helps if you're Australian and live in Sydney - http://www.acp.org.au/

I'm actually doing the "Advanced Flash" course

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Obviously there's stress, but it seems fun enough to balance out :)
If you think that's stressful, try shooting a wedding!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Additionally, shoot in portrait orientation.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I purchased a Tamron 24-75mm lens three years ago and only realised that it had been sold to me with a filter attached to it today. I seem to be losing a little bit of light when shooting through it, but not a great deal so I don't think it's an ND filter...

I feel stupid as hell, but as I'm about to sell it I can advertise it as completely scratch free! :v:

This is the only labelling on it, anyone know what kind it is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

Alright, I'm going to have to save this to bring back up every time you say anything I remotely disagree with. "Wait, aren't you the guy who shot thru a filter for 3 years without noticing?!?!"
All I have to say is :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
smugmug isn't really an option for me in Australia, so I use [urlhttp://lr.theturninggate.net/html-galleries/ttg-highslide-gallery-pro/]this[/url] - it integrates with LightRoom, has a few payment options (including Paypal), and I just get the prints made up myself.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
You want this:

http://lr.theturninggate.net/html-galleries/ttg-highslide-gallery/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Sell a couple of prints and it pays for itself very very quickly. I spent a good month or so looking around for something vaguely decent before someone suggested Highslide.

It integrates really well with LightRoom and looks great. I'm really happy with it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

Move AF to another button. Once you do it for a while, you'll wonder how other people do the whole half-click recompose thing.
Huh, I didn't even know about this. I've just enabled it on my camera. It'll take a little getting used to, but I like the idea.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've had a couple of people I know working at jewellery shops ask me about doing photography for them. At the moment I don't even own a macro lens so I've had to politely decline, but I can see it being a way of making some cash if I can turn out a quality product.

Anyone done this? I'm assuming I'd need some kind of light tent set up like this.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

If you can do it where they can't see you (cause it will look like a hack-job), you can do this for super cheap. Buy extension tubes, enough to get lifesize. Make a light box out of a normal cardboard box. Line the inside with white paper, and cut out a square from both sides and cover with white paper.

If you start doing a lot and making money, get a good macro and a real collapsible tent, but you could dip your toe this way and see how profitable it would be.
I'd be photographing a lot of valuable jewellery so I'm assuming they'd probably want me to do it onsite, so I think I'd need something a bit more professional than a cardboard box. I'll definitely set one up to play around with at home though :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

brad industry posted:

Scrims would be the more professional version and they are relatively cheap / easy to rent.
Wouldn't a 16" light tent do the job and still look decent anyway? I can get one of those for around $50.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This might be a long shot (badoomtish) but maybe check into renting a lens in Africa?

The 55-250 is pretty light though, I'd definitely take that instead of the Bigma.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to risk just taking my Sigma 30mm, or take the 10-20mm and 85mm along as well.

or just buy the Fujifilm X100

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
For people waiting on the X100, from my local discount camera store:

quote:

A word on the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Disasters:

As you would be aware, the current grave situation in Japan has resulted in wide-scale destruction and loss of life.

Our thoughts and well-wishes are with all those affected in Japan and we hope for the speedy recovery of their beautiful country.

During this time please be aware that several of our suppliers have been affected, namely Panasonic’s LUMIX factory, several Sony factories and Nikon. Please be aware that Fujifilm has also been affected, and there will be delays on shipments of the new X100. Please take this into consideration when placing orders for out of stock items.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
When people share really garish, horribly processed photos on Facebook and they end up with 100 people saying WOW OMG THIS IS AMAZING it makes my heart cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

you should try joining some local facebook photography groups if you want to see some poo poo
I'm in a group for my suburb and that's bad enough. A dude in there is always sharing poo poo like this and it usually has people gushing over how amazing his photos are: