Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Anyone have print services they recommend for some medium sized prints? I liked the stuff I got out of Mpix but I saw that Bayphoto looks a little cheaper for some larger prints that I'd like to do (some 8x10s or 11x14s, a couple 16x20s or maybe 20x24s, a 3:1 pano print or two) and has some nice Fuji paper selections that are a little mystifying to me for their basic photo prints... not sure any of those fine art papers are actually worth it for just hanging around home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah that sounds about right. I'd only take the 5D if you're skipping the zoom. When I've traveled with a second lens/camera, I expect to use it for only 5-10% of the shots, so it really depends on what I want those shots to be. I'm on a trip right now and I have a Canon Elan 7ne with a 40mm pancake and a Fuji GS645S, which both are very similar focal lengths. My primary camera is the Elan 7ne because it has AF, but I decided to take the GS645S instead of a second EF lens with a zoom because I figured that instead of extra reach/width, I would want to take photos with extra resolution on occasion.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

huhu posted:

Wait, so I can use my Nikon Z5 with a tripod and one of those backlighting light boxes and get better quality scans than the lab?

Sometimes. You also need a decent macro lens and something to keep the film flat. Also the light source is pretty important too. But the poor quality of lab scans is probably because they are using the lower quality settings on their lab scanner. I didn't have a DSLR when I first started scanning film at home so I just picked up a used dedicated scanner and that has been more than enough.

I guess while we're on the topic of scanners - anyone here use one of the Coolscan 8000/9000s for 35mm+120? I have an epson v850 and a Plustek 8200i, they're both good so it's mostly just wishful thinking but I've been curious how much better the Coolscans are, and if they're worth the hassle of setting up all the Firewire stuff. My main frustration lately has been scanning 35mm slides on the Plustek, they are so dense that the shadows scan very poorly and it is tough to correct - I had the impression the Coolscan was better at slides.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Last I remember reading, the Coolscan 9000 doesn’t do 35mm as well as the Coolscan 5000. The 9000 would be an upgrade from the V850 and 8200i combo though. I personally do the V850 and Coolscan 5000 combo, though there are times I wish I had the 9000 for 120.

Hmm I am more than happy with the 120 scans on the V850, but yeah the 35mm might be tempting eventually. I shoot a lot more 35mm nowadays. I took a quick look on the ebay though and wow the prices for the 5000 are almost in line with the 9000 or 8000. Guess I'll just look at some more comparisons for the 5000 vs 8200i and see how they compare.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Should be the yellow mark since that is what mates to the flange on the camera, and flange distance is measured from the camera flange to the film plane. Red is on the same level as the aperture pin, green is just a flap to fit a gel filter. So red green and blue are past the camera flange.