Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Absolute noob here, as in first couple days with a dslr (I bought a very cheap d40). Is there a standard way to process raw images? I have been shooting with raw instead of jpgs because I understand they are uncompressed images, but then the camera doesn't apply the "finishing touches" to the image - what is the fastest way to get them done? I bought a dslr for an upcoming trip and don't have a heap of time to learn the ins and outs of editing. The following pics I've used darktable and have pretty much just used the automatic settings for white balance, exposure etc and messed with the filmic rgb plugin (generally on auto) on some of them. It was a very bright summer day in Australia and these were shot at about 11 in the morning but the processing has resulted in (what i feel like) are slightly warmer and darker images than i was expecting? They look nice, don't get me wrong. Maybe I'm just overthinking it? I shot with the automatic setting on the camera and I think they were all around 200 iso.

Also, in the final image something has happened where the brightest whites have gone almost purple? I think this is from the software lowering the exposure or something? I would just like to figure out a workflow that includes the minimum amount of me sitting at the pc scratching my head lol. I'm open to eventually buying some software but for now i'd like to stick to something free/open source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

When starting out I think it's always a good idea to shoot raw+ jpeg. It takes up more room but memory cards are cheap and will allow you to share stuff with friends instantly but have the raws to come back to when you wanna try and improve the photo yourself.

With this you can also try matching your cameras output with your raws as a way to learn.
You say you use darktable? Its great but complicated to begin with, lots of duplicate modules.

https://pixls.us/articles/darktable-3-rgb-or-lab-which-modules-help/

This was written by one of the devs of darktable, you don't need to read it all, just skip down to the recommended beginner workflow bit, it helps a lot.

That last image with the purple whites, the chromatic aberration module should help with that.

There is also this channel which does very good tutorials on each module and what it does
https://m.youtube.com/@audio2u

If you like film styles then try these https://github.com/iblazhko/darktable-filmstyles

Just remember to have the box ticked to replace the previous style as you go through trying them out, otherwise it's gonna apply them on top of each other and look weird.

:dafuq:

Thanks so much for the detailed response, I will check out all of those tutorials asap! Although my camera only allows me to take low quality jpegs at the same time as raw (can't shoot high quality jpegs simultaneously for some reason?) using them as a guide seems like a great, and in hindsight obvious, idea. I'll have a tool around with those styles as well.

I'm not married to darktable but it seems pretty good for free software! The plugin based workflow makes a bit of sense coming from an audio daw background, at least.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

In my opinion, unless you really love editing just shoot in jpeg. As long as you don't over expose you'll be fine, a little under exposing is ok and can be easily fixed.

Or this.

Honestly I will have a go at this too - I've not really mastered using a camera yet and generally shoot in auto or one of the priority modes, once I get a better grasp of manual mode I like this idea a lot more lol.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just started messing around with long exposure stuff and I'm having wierd marks show up - you can see it on the fountain and one in the foreground in this pic. I've cleaned the lens and filter off, is this like, dirt on the sensor or something? I haven't taken the lens out and cleaned the back end. These don't show up on shots with a fast shutter speed. Any ideas?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks guys, ill pick up a cleaning kit.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Viginti Septem posted:

Forgive me if I'm reading that wrong, but I think you're saying that in order to maintain exposure, if shooting a longer (slower) shutter, you would maybe need to balance it with a smaller aperture, which could show dust more.

Which, while we're here, OP, what were your settings?

I was just using the shutter priority mode and a 10 stop nd filter, here's (i think) the relevant stuff from the exif data

Exposure Time 30 sec
F-Number f/36.0
Exposure Program Shutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Have any of you tried cheap Chinese lenses, and how were they? Specifically I'm looking at the yongnuo 35mm f mount.

I have a manual focus 35mm prime, but I'm going overseas and would prefer to use an autofocus - I miss focus semi often with manual focus, it's not a big deal around here when I can reshoot but I don't want to miss once in a lifetime shots. I need it in the next 2 weeks or so, so can't gently caress around with lowballing on ebay and I don't want to spend much more than about 200au (this is 150 new).

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

Is the nikon 35 1.8 not good enough? Its an excellent lens and not even that expensive.

The Australian used market sucks (usually get stuff from japan but its a crapshoot whether it shows up in 2 days or 2 weeks). Anyway, ended up getting a good deal on a sigma 30mm 1.4 which should be more than adequate!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Is snapseed still the go to for editing on Android? I don't mind spending a couple bucks for something with a better ui. Will be using a tablet if it matters.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

jpeg or raw?

sorry, should have mentioned. Raw, .nef in particular.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Biggest problem with local printers is their hours. :negative:

Acclimating to a new city and there's 2 decent shops and they can be insanely inconvenient. One closes at 4:30 every day and is closed Friday-Sunday and the other is over an hour away. They close at 5 and are also not open on weekends.

My dumb rear end gotta take time off work just to print pictures.

might not be applicable but most of them here will accept mail in orders, or have a couple of drop boxes at local cafes/bars etc, could be worth looking into

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just don't use it enough to pay a subscription, there's no way to just outright buy it anymore is there?

I'm OK with darktable, but I'd love to be able to look at people's lightroom presets etc and break down what they're doing.

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 29, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I can't do the forced session either, I just don't feel like it results in interesting pictures for my tastes. I feel like having a subject is the most important thing for me, but I respect people who can be bothered to work purely on the technical side of photography and get the reps in. For me I have a bunch of hobbies I rotate through, it's not the end of the world if my camera sits unused for a couple of weeks.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just recieved a voightlander vitoret that I thought was going to be a rangefinder, but it's an even older model that I guess needs an external rangefinder (no dot or prism just a straight viewfinder). Until I get one of those, is it finally time to learn about hyperfocal stuff/zone focussing and get real good at estimating distances or is attempting to use it futile? I guess I can just stop down as far as is reasonable and use infinity focus? I gotta start researching impulsive ebay purchases better lol

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

i've been reading up on zone focus and yeah it can't hurt to give it a shot, seems like a cool skill to develop. I'll check some fomapan in it and see how it goes!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Practiced doing a bit of zone focussing on my d40 with a manual lens and was surprised how manageable it is. I've started taking some shots with the vitoret, seems very satisfying, all works perfectly mechanically but it will be interesting to see how the lens is.

While it's kind of my fault for putting 400iso film in it (all I had on hand), how would you guys go about taking shots in full sunlight if the fastest shutter speed you have is 1/125? I've taken some at 16 and 22 to see the difference once they're developed but I can't imagine the lens will perform well at 22. According to sunny 16, the light meter phone app I tried, and common sense they'll be over exposed as hell in the aus summer sun.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

any recs for a cheapish camera bag that will fit 2 bodies and an extra lens or 2? sling/over shoulder rather than backpack would be ideal.

E: way to store a small tripod or whatever would be great too

field balm fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 26, 2024

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I did the same thing last year (beginning photography on a trip) and id recommend starting before hand. I shot on auto pretty much the whole time and the photos are mid (they're great as far as holiday snaps go but have no artistic value). Learn the exposure triangle and some basics about framing at the very least. I'm going to Japan again later this year and will be taking a fully manual film set up and a mirrorless with manual lenses and I reckon the photos will be way better.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Any recommendations for a "Lightroom but for music" software?

Looking for a software where i can catalogue my music files
*Must be compatible with FLAC
*Must be able to edit file metadata so that i can get a good structure in iTunes
*Being able to export the files from FLAC to MP3 is also a requirement i think? (I don't think iPhone supports FLAC)

I don't need to be able to edit the music in the files or anything.

Have tried googling the topic and found results, but not sure they are what i am looking for. All the results are from music forums/reddits and i am getting the impression many of the answers were from users that had to google what Lightroom was. Many of the suggestions seems to be music editing software rather than cataloguing software. I figured i'd ask photographers that knows what Lightroom is instead

I use musicbee for bulk renaming and tagging etc, not sure if it will transcode stuff for ya (I use wavosaur plus lame enc for that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any advice on portrait stuff? I've never done it before, but my partner and some of her friends are doing shave for a cure on the weekend and I'd like to take some nice photos for them. I'll probably use an olympus m43 mirrorless with a yashica 50mm f1.9 (for 100mm full frame equivalent). I also have the option of a nikon dslr but would probably have to use kit lens or a zoom. I assume I'll use the fastest aperture for solo shots and maybe stop down a little for group shots?

I don't have anything other than the on camera flashes, so will try and take them in daylight. I will definitely use a tripod because i've no idea what the light will be like at the place they're doing it at. I also have a black mist filter I'm considering using. Any tips?