Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just tried to sell my Sigma 24-70m f/2.8 on eBay. Even though I listed it as a US-only auction, the winner asked me to ship the lens to the Ukraine (which I'm obviously not going to do). Is there any point in reiterating that I will not ship internationally in the item description, or am I going to have to deal with this every time I sell a lens on eBay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Masa posted:

There's an option you can enable when you create or edit an auction that will only let people bid if they're in a country you ship to. It should be under "Buyer Requirements" or something similar. You can also enable it by default in the site preferences section in the account part of MyEbay.

Wouldn't have mattered in this case - it was a hijacked account from someone in Michigan. Ah well, guess I'll try eBay's 2nd Chance option and sell to the 2nd highest bidder.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edit - never mind, moving this to the photo business thread.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 11, 2009

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sorry to double post this question, but I never got a response in the camera gear thread. I'm a Sony shooter, so my biggest problem is high ISO noise. Currently, I use Lightroom 2.6, which does a decent job of noise reduction. Is Noise Ninja so much better that it's worth the purchase? I rarely shoot at 1600 and, even with a good noise solution, I doubt I'd push it past 2500.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

HPL posted:

Try DxO Optics Pro. It has wicked noise reduction and great image processing overall. It doesn't cost much more than Noise Ninja.

EDIT: Just checked. It's $30 more than Noise Ninja until the end of the year, but you get a ton more program for the money.
Nah, $130 for me - I use an a850, so I've gotta pick up the Elite version for $200. DXO is pretty nice, I was just seeing if Noise Ninja would give me an "almost as good and a whole lot cheaper" solution.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A guy I know has a small art gallery in a hip, cool section of Seattle. He didn't know I was into photography and asked me to send him a portfolio. So, two questions:

1) What sort of stuff is popular in galleries these days?
2) I see that MPix offers a hardback photo book with a suede cover. Would that be appropriate for showing someone a portfolio, or should I consider something nicer/different/etc?

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 28, 2009

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

That might be a better question for the Canon thread. I'm not a Canon shooter, but a couple of possibilities come to mind.

1) Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? With a JPEG, what you see is what you get, but RAW files occasionally look a little different when you view them on your computer.

2) What are you using for post-processing? Some photo editing software can, when it loads files, apply presets to your images based on your camera body. Maybe your software thinks it should ignore your custom settings and just display a neutral image?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Regarding the iPad and photos - it's buried somewhere in the giant SHSC thread, but there are going to be two official photo-related dongles that appear to plug into the charging port. The first will let you attach a camera through a USB port. The other adds an SD card reader. Hopefully, the iPad will let you download RAW as well as JPEG, but who knows.

Edit - oops, Shmoogy pretty much already said all of this, my mistake.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 29, 2010

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hot Cops posted:

Apple is pretty keen on keeping iPhoto updated with camera profiles. I wouldn't be surprised.
I've never used iPhoto, does it do at least basic photo editing - crops, contrast, exposure and so on? If so, the iPad might be perfect for vacations. Fill my card during the day, clean up the photos in the evening, use the hotel's WiFi to upload everything to Flickr overnight. Yeah, I could go for that.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

DaNzA posted:

Sorry if I missed this, but this there a general, dorkroom recommended online/offline place to do large prints? like 11x14 to a few feet.
MPix.com is the bee's knees. If you don't need something that nice, Costco (at least the one near me) does prints up to 20x30 for $8.95 or something like that.