Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
you can also open up each of the images as layers in photoshop, use your inside-metered image as the background layer, then mask off the outside-metered image so that it is only visible on the windows. since the windows are probably a fairly simple shape that may work better, photomatix will probably leave some halos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

JaundiceDave posted:

If anyone wants to try out Lightroom, the beta of Lightroom 3 is up for free download on adobe, and will last until April 2010. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Be careful, it is a beta so it might do horrible things*, and they disabled some stuff, such as Luminance noise reduction. definitely keep lightroom 2 around and use that for important stuff

*probably not

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I just made a new catalog and imported a few folders to play with. I use .xmps though. It won't even touch your lr2 catalog so I wouldn't worry too much.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Cyberbob posted:

this might sound strange, but I'm making a greyscale zone card for myself..

Would it make a big difference if the dynamic range that was covered was in the very low end of shutter speeds?

I did some test shots last night and zone 0 was 30 seconds, all the way up to zone 10 which was about 1/30 IIRC.

Would you expect a greycard to look any different if the shutter speed ranged in that range, compared to doing it on a bright sunny day where zone 0 had to be done at 1/4000, covering a completely different range of shutter speeds?

It shouldn't matter, assuming that zone 5 is 18% percent or whatever and you're metering off zone 5 and the rest of the zones are getting the same light.

30 seconds and 1/30th are about 10 stops apart so I think you're doing it right. Did zone 5 meter at 1"?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Spectracide posted:

I used to think ISO 100 was the "best" ISO. Now, it seems most high-end cameras start at 200. Can someone explain this to me? I am thinking it has something to do with the switch from CCD to CMOS sensors.
I skimmed the Wikipedia article and found this relevant bit:

Is a sensor that "begins" at 200 really worse than one that starts at 100?

You really can't generalize, it just depends on what sensor and what body you're talking about. Most Canons go to ISO 100, most Nikons start at 200.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Ansel Adams did seminars and wrote books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I wouldn't show them intentionally, but it'd be something they'd find if they googled my name. Probably not really worth it either way though - I need to start getting some shows lined up for this year before it's too late, but a police station is a pretty weird place to do that.

They won't Google your name. Even if they do they aren't going to investigate.