Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I just put all the exported JPGs into Google Photos. Works well for sharing both individual photos and albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Are there any good resources on learning how to b/w? I love black and white photos and looking at photobooks and b/w photos that other people took but my own ones always suck (moreso than my colour photos, that is). I'm not sure where to start other than just shooting. But then the raw always has colour info anyway and more often than not, I find that my photo works better in colour.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

How are you getting from digital color to B&W, are you using a mode on your camera that automatically dumps a monochrome jpg? some sort of monochrome preset in your editor?

Yeah I put my camera in black & white mode, mostly just to see b&w on the camera screen, but I shoot RAW and edit in lightroom, so it doesn't actually make any difference to the actual picture. And then when I do the editing I usually notice that it looks better in colour (which is just one click away).

shame on an IGA posted:

My suggestion is to load up a few of your favorite color photos and a few more of those b&w with color raws you were disappointed by into photoshop or gimp or what have you and play with the channel mixer for a few hours.

There's a reason everyone in the B&W film era carried a bag of color filters around all the time and you're going to understand it.

That's a great idea, thanks!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, scanning with a camera is much more labor intensive.The lab I go to has a Hi-Res DSLR scan option which is a higher resolution than their highest-res scanner option, but it's 35€ extra per roll or something.