Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The reason that tilt-shift works so well is because people for some reason intrinsically know what shallow DOF macro photography looks like and associate it with tiny things, even though most people dont know what DOF or Macro means.

There is no visual effect that we associate with images of huge things, mainly because images of huge things generally approximate our field of view, assuming we're back far enough.

I think Dr. Cogwerks is right, its all about perspective. Make it look like the image was shot from a tiny viewers perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Other than the pretty large increase in noise I think it looks good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would guess on the sensor, if it was on the lense, both bokkkkkkehs would show the same dirt specs, no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm wondering if my new Canon 50mm f/1.8 is miscalibrated at infinity focus.

I shot some stars tonight, and they came out blurry. The focus ring was all the way counterclockwise when looking through the viewfinder, which I assume is focused all the way out to infinity.

The shots still came out blurry though. I'm pretty sure the tripod didnt move, as all three shots came out just as blurry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So maybe just before the full stop is infinity? I'll give that a shot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unfortunately the nifty fifty has no focus markings, so I guess I'll just have to eyeball it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ration posted:

How do you get passed your biggest hurdles? I've been trying to get into photography for a month or two and it's hard. My source of information has largely been here, POTN and books. I read books about quality composition and I understand the concept. I look at pictures in PAD and SAD and some are appealing, but the vast majority I just don't get. None of it makes sense. In one of the books by Bryan Peterson, there's a picture of a box of tomatoes. Why is a box of tomatoes important enough to justify a place in the book, or a shutter actuation for that matter. On the other hand, in PAD, I have seen images that truly moved me as a viewer but those are far less than the ones that just make me grab my head and wonder.

Aside from equipment, subject matter and the real act of photography... the concept of what is good and what is bad is broken to me. I understand that it is subjective to a certain degree but when learning, what do you focus on? After reading and reading these random images that are referenced just boggle my mind as to why they are considered good. Do I just disregard these in an attempt to keep my sanity or will my appreciation for those grow with time?

Of course much of it is subjective, there are people who think the Mona Lisa is ugly, after all.

Much of it has to do with composition, exposure, lighting, the angles and lines involved, and a myriad of other things that dont immediately jump out and make you say "Wow I want a print of that picture of tomatoes", but are pretty universally agreed upon to be the makings of a good photograph.

Perhaps take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343

It might shed some light on why certain pictures are considered good and aesthetically pleasing.

At the end of the day though, a lot of it boils down to personal preference. I personally like the look of heavily processed images and HDR's, many people despise them. It doesnt mean that either of us are right per-se, just that we feel differently.

Rontalvos posted:

Astrophotography is the only reason I have ever used live view ever, aside from a few macro shots. That 10x digital zoom allows you to easily see whether you're at infinity focus or not.

I'll give this a shot next time I do this, I may be able to get it dialed in with the magnified live view.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 16, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

squidflakes posted:

Figure out what you like and photograph it. Photograph it because you like it. gently caress everyone else.

Really, unless someones paying you to get a certain shot or look, just shoot what you like, and eventually you'll figure out your style and what looks appealing to you.

Photography is like the painting world. Certain paintings can move some people to tears and have no effect on others. Its a very personal thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The http://www.americansuburbx.com/ link needs a wwww.

The non-www. just leads to a squatter page.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm not talking about hoity-toity modern art "you just don't understand" but just being able to know that critiques are not attacks, recognizing a person's artistic intentions and helping them along that path instead of fighting them to adhere to yours, recognizing how to match a person's vision if they are in charge, etc.

This sounds more like learning not to be a dick than anything else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Interrupting Moss posted:

There are five companies pushing their presumably "unlimited space/bandwidth but not so unlimited CPU power" web services in SA Mart. I'm moving away from smugmug and hosting my own site, just need something basic that will also handle perl.

Does anyone use these to host their personal websites? Any experience with downtime?

I would skip the ~goon hosting~

I was with one for a while, and it was nothing but problems. I have an unlimited account with Hostgator that I pay like $8/mo for, and I've never had any downtime in the year I've been with them. I do use it too, I run a pretty popular forum with it, and sees a good amount of load.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SmirkingJack posted:

I assume that any budget hosting is a server in someones basement/dorm room run by a single guy. Now this is fine for my personal blog, I don't care if that goes down for a week because it doesn't have anything important on it and doesn't affect my image. If I were to do something professional then I would get a $20/mo VPS from Slicehost or RootBSD or prgmr, no question.

Exactly, if you're hosting lolcats images, then goon hosting is fine. If you have any sort of uptime requirement though, go with a real host.

As far as I could tell the goon hosting I was with was run by two people who had a couple servers in a datacenter, and that was it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While we're talkng LR, is there a way I can split my catalog? Having a ton of RAW files on my laptop is eating up space very quickly. Can I move half the catalog off to a backup disk or something, and keep just the newest half on the laptop?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have my facebook account linked to flickr, so that when I upload things to flicker, it posts a little blurb on facebook.

Is there a way to tag pictures so they dont get posted to facebook as well? I dont necessarily want something going out every single time I post a picture on flickr.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

squidflakes posted:

WOAH! Where I do get me some of that pro-quality light?

Pro-quality light only comes from distant stars and is captured and packaged in speedlights, this guy doesnt know what he's talking about

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've discovered that I really like taking lightbox shots, but I'd like to take it to the next level. I have a small PVC lightbox with a posterboard back right now, but I'd like to scale it up and make a larger studio backdrop so I can take seamless shots of larger things like motorcycles and whatnot.

I've been inspired by this: http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-rk67?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Bikeexif+(Bike+EXIF)

You can see in the second shot, based on the reflections in the bikes paint that these were shot outside in some sort of giant lightbox/studio backdrop scenario.

How does one go about replicating the setup to do this? I can weld, so fabbing up a frame for this isnt the most horrible thing on earth. What do you use for a backdrop, where do you find something that huge and perfectly white?

Any suggestions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How can I get lightroom 3 to apply the "Camera Standard" profile to every picture imported? I cant seem to find an easy way to do that, although I'm sure I'm just overlooking it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any good tutorials on tone and exposure mapping? Everything I google for leads me to HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! websites that invariably mention photomatix. I'd like to take multiple exposures to bring out colors and up dynamic range, without making glowy melty crayola messes.

Think Dread Head style images.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The above example is really impressive, you cant even read the plate in the original. Some of the examples on the page just make it look like "Topaz unsharp mask" though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks. I also found this on the same site that seems to focus on making realistic images. http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-retouching/hdr-tone-mapping-with-layers-in-photoshop.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its like that pedo guy who got busted because he used the whirlpool/twisty function in photoshop to hide his face in pictures, and someone just ran it in reverse to identify him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is literally no way to ask a girl who you are not close friends with if you can photograph her outside of an event where she actually wants to be photographed and not come off as creepy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know where else to ask this, so I guess I'll put it here. I know we have a DSLR video thread, but is there one for people just shooting video on normal video cameras? I dont shoot DSLR video, but I'm imagining the processes are somewhat different than using other more conventional non-professional video cameras?

Any interest in one?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spf3million posted:

Well there's this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982. Not sure if that's what you were thinking about though.

Yeah, thats really on the professional side of things though.

Maybe I'll just start a thread, if it flies, great, if it dies, I guess I have my answer on the interest level.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How are airlines about photography equipment? I'm planning a trip and will be bringing my DSLR, two lenses, strobe, a GoPro HD, and some other stuff. All will be contained within a backpack, and will be carried on.

Anyone have problems getting through airport security with any camera equipment?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RizieN posted:

I flew domestically a few weeks ago and they didn't give a poo poo, I asked if I was going to need to take my camera and lenses out and they said just my laptop. Obviously your mileage may vary based on the employees working, their stress levels, and the specific airport.

Hopefully with the recent osama bin laden news it wont be too tough, as I'm sure the airports will be on high alert for a while

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any good tutorials out there on how to do masking and combining of exposures in Photoshop?

For example, I know I could have totally saved the below picture by also grabbing a shot with the city properly exposed behind the bike, and then combining the exposures to make one good one.

I understand the concept of masking, but I dont know how to do it effectively. Bear in mind, I am not interested in HDRZ, obviously, just combining exposures.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Legdiian posted:

I thought that's what HDR was?

Technically, it is, but I'm interested in making a realistic looking picture out of them, not blowing everything out to 110%, is what I meant

It could be more than two exposures as well, but I'll start simple.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RangerScum posted:

I'd like to second this. Get in the habit of it and your photos will look leaps and bounds better than before. Nice lines are loving sexy.

I dont understand why they still look weird, I applied the lens correction in lightroom. :sigh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RangerScum posted:

It's a distortion problem caused by a wide angle lens that can be fixed in photoshop with the "Lens Correction" filter.

Is this different than the one in Lightroom? Its enabled in lightroom, and takes a ton of barrel distortion out of that picture, but as evidenced, its not correct yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Augmented Dickey posted:

what exactly does the 'definition' slider in Aperture do?

If its like the clarity slider in Lightroom, it affects contrast (mainly edge contrast and mid-tone contrast?), highlights, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I think I'm displaying my fundamental lack of understanding here. I've got two images each on a layer, a mask in between them, and I'm painting away the mask. I'm down to the details. How on earth do I get the mask painted away on all the little fiddly bits like the lamp pole, in between the railings, the places where the cityscape pokes between the parts of the bike, etc? I cant have to trace all that out, theres no way to do that accurately, and the round or square brushes dont line up with angled railings and other things in the picture.

I'm guessing I'm missing something fundamental about masks here?

Here is where I'm stuck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, thanks to the help of all of you, I've got the magnetic wand masking down, I'm to the point whee I'm dealing with imperfections on the level of a couple of pixels.

In the below image, you can tell that the lamp post and the railings are just a bit off, they have some artifacting from the layer underneath. Whats the process for cleaning up the mask when you're dealing with areas maybe only a few pixels wide?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please read my last like 5 posts in this thread, and the replies to them, layering exposures is exactly what I'm doing. The bike picture two posts above is my first-shot outcome at exactly what you're talking about.

EDIT: start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184774&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=98#post394829059

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a Rebel XS owner, I get to mock everyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats the best way to shoot a timelapse with changing light conditions (day to night, vice versa)? AV mode? I'm thinking full manual would net you progressively more unfixable images.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure F/4 is F/4 regardless of how many elements it has to go through.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I currently own just two lenses. The canon nifty fifty, and the kit 18-55 that came with my Rebel XS.

I love the 50mm for how sharp it is (and how cheap it was), and I like the 18-55 range, but hate how not-sharp the lens is, as well as the general crappyness of the pictures it takes.

Are there any cheaper lenses in the 18-55-ish range that are decently sharp (decently sharper than the kit 18-55)? Doesn't have to be Canon brand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There used to be a nice (and I think free) time lapse calculator app on the apple app store. I can't for the life of me find it anymore. Anyone know if it exists and what it's called?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I came across an old TLR camera at goodwill today and couldnt pass on it. Apparently its a Sears Tower 120 Flash, which is a rebranded Ising Pucky (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Pucky)

The mechanicals all seem to work, the shutter, zoom, aperture and auto/bulb mode all work fine, but the thing is dirty as hell in the lenses. Its hard to even see out of the viewfinder. Anyone have any advice on cleaning it? It looks like mostly dust, and not mold or something like that. If I cant, its still not a bad shelf ornament for :10bux: