Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

If I were going on a trip, I'd feel compelled to shoot in RAW even moreso than usual. Memory cards are pretty cheap -- my vote would be to simply pick up another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

So I've just ordered quite a few prints at various sizes (8x10, 8x12, 11x14, etc) and I am interested in finding a relatively cheap way of ordering some basic, decent frames that aren't complete poo poo. I don't like to have a lot of decor on my frames. Mostly just a wooden black frame maybe with a neutral mat. Any recommendations on a good place to order these online?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Dread Head posted:

Not sure what shipping would be like on frames, you may want to check out any art stores you have locally. I have one that is like an art supply store that has decent basic frames for a reasonable price.

Good point, hadn't thought about shipping. I've bought some frames from stores like Michael's and Sam Flax with some success. Probably will head back out that way when the prints arrive. To be honest, I didn't know that ordering large prints was so expensive until I started doing it.

When I bought my camera, I thought, "Man, that's pricey!"
When I started buying lenses, I thought, "Ah, the real cost of photography"
And now that I"m starting to print things, I'm seeing how expensive this awesome hobby can get :)

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

^^^ thanks, too.

TokenBrit posted:

Don't just stick a photo in a frame.

Get it matted and mounted. You might not know the difference now, but go to a gallery and have a look at correctly presented prints. Well worth it for photos you care about.

I'm trying to keep costs down, really. I appreciate what you're saying, but the most I've done so far is to buy a pre-cut mat (a double mat if I'm feeling crazy) and put it into a frame myself. I do have a couple, though, that I really really like. Perhaps I"ll go that route for those select few. Thanks.

Edit -- American Frame is really nice and seems to have pretty decent prices. I like that you can upload your own images in order to get the right fit of frame, mats, etc.

Hop Pocket fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 24, 2009

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

jackpot posted:

Ha, I've finally made it, I have arrived:

:downsgun:

I got that for the first time a month ago. She: "Wow, your camera takes really great pictures!". Me: "thanks".

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I think I would buy noiseninja if it didn't force me to create a new TIFF for each image I wanted it to work on. I'd love it if it would, instead, work non-destructively on the photo the same way the native Lightroom adjustments do.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

caberham posted:

LR3 beta is not compatible with the older catalogs so I'm not to keen on switching.

Yeah, that's been what's keeping me from using it. That and if it were I'd be paranoid that I'd have catastrophic catalog failure. That being said, the allure of better sharpening tools and the Flickr integration will probably get the upgrade price out of me.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I have a somewhat odd question.. I've shot with a number of different cameras using RAW sometimes, and JPG other times. A lot of the photos I took when I first started I took in RAW which then got converted to DNG in Lightroom 2.

Many of these older photos, though, I'd like to simply be converted to JPG, replacing the DNG. Mostly because space is becoming an issue and I don't want to buy another hard drive for my laptop.

Lightroom 2 has a Library => Convert Photo to DNG.. but no Convert DNG to JPG. Is the only way to do this to export to JPG and then re-import into LR2?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Just use 1.5x? :confused:

Something to keep in mind is that a beginner might not be able to actually keep 1/(effective focal length) stable, so having a bit of a buffer can help when your start.

For this reason, using 2x is easy enough and gives you the buffer as well.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I have a 5d2, and in camera the video has never been choppy or skippy. Only when playing back 1080p on an already-busy computer. Can't speak for video on some of the others, but I'd be surprised if they would release a DSLR with video function that couldn't keep up with the fps.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Bahama.Llama posted:

Oh god I'm going to Ding Darling tomorrow and I'm not sure what the layout is. I see the map online... but can I assume they have good information at the visitors center?

I checked the low tides already and timing it accordingly... but I'm just nervous :ohdear:

You're probably already there, but if not, it's a big loop. In general, there will already be a cluster of photographers wherever there's a good shot. Have fun!

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm wondering if my new Canon 50mm f/1.8 is miscalibrated at infinity focus.

I shot some stars tonight, and they came out blurry. The focus ring was all the way counterclockwise when looking through the viewfinder, which I assume is focused all the way out to infinity.

The shots still came out blurry though. I'm pretty sure the tripod didnt move, as all three shots came out just as blurry.

I've noticed the same thing, always have to manually adjust the focus a bit on multiple lenses when shooting stars / the moon.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

There are five companies pushing their presumably "unlimited space/bandwidth but not so unlimited CPU power" web services in SA Mart. I'm moving away from smugmug and hosting my own site, just need something basic that will also handle perl.

Does anyone use these to host their personal websites? Any experience with downtime?

I've found a rather cheap but reliable VPS provider at prgmr.com. I've got a gallery3 site running on it without issue. They give you a pretty barebones VM but after the initial setup it's breezy.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Seems somewhat underexposed, though..

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

psylent posted:

I'm doing a 10 week (3 hours a week) lighting course that is costing me $295. At just under $10/hour it feels like a bargain.

That's something I'd REALLY be interested in. How did you find the class?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

tuyop posted:

My parents are guilty white people and they go to Cuba a couple of times a year. This last time they brought a shitload of gifts, like some used laptops from 2001 that they had scrounged, video games, drug samples from a Cuban doctor here, and a bunch of other stuff that's hard to get in Cuba.

I gave them an old smartphone and my Coolpix S51 with a broken screen, which led to one of the people they know there showing off how much he loves photography and stuff, but he's running some film SLR and can never get a regular supply of film. I was thinking that it would be great to get a really old DSLR and kit lens or two to send down to them. Accessing and modifying the pictures isn't a problem because the camera would be given with an old laptop, and they can print fairly easily.

I was looking at the price of 10D's and they're only like 85 bucks, as well as old powershots which are like 30 dollars. I'm wondering if it would be better to go with another 10D or a D60 (I'd also pick up an 18-55IS or something for each one as well) or a couple of powershots considering that the DSLRs will probably need cards and batteries and the shutter might wear out in a couple of months.

There's no hurry because their next trip isn't for a few months, but what do you guys think?

That's a cool idea. I can't speak to what would be a good deal or what would make sense financially, but I'd get behind a group effort to send some cuban a camera. I don't have white guilt (ok, a little, but not for this) but I'd love to see some of the pictures to eventually make their way online.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Zach Arias has a small how-to on building such a setup using white seamless.

http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Mannequin posted:

I'm 97% sure I'm going into New York tomorrow. Want to catch an early-ish train and be there by 10:00 a.m. Not sure what I'm going to photograph. I am really nervous about it. Here's hoping I don't waste a whole day, waste $30 bucks or so, kill my feet, and ultimately feel completely disappointed in myself... again.

I know exactly how you feel. I get the same way before I go on a photo trip/walk. I'd suggest an hour of care free snapping when you get there. That always warms me up and helps me get in my groove.