Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Just stock up when sandisk's rebates roll around. They always have some ridiculous prices during the rebate periods eg. extreme iii 16gb for 30~ dollar each.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if I missed this, but this there a general, dorkroom recommended online/offline place to do large prints? like 11x14 to a few feet.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks bros, will try and print out a few from each one.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

What is that kind of photography called that makes everything look like really finely detailed scaled models? Sorry if thats vague.

'Making of a smaller government' :smug:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/4311870364/

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It might also be the glass, check all the elements and front glass by shining a flashlight through it.

I remember seeing a 'crack' in the out of focus blur on one of my old old lens before. It turned out to be a line of fungus on one of the element, and the shape corresponds to the crack I saw.

Also I've seen it when there were water droplets on the front element.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also check for possible firmware update? Yeah I read that you are only using 1600 but it wouldn't hurt to try.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos7d/firmware.html

quote:

Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Extends the timing at which the high temperature warning indicator is displayed and the timing of automatic shut down of the camera due to a rise in internal temperature during Live View or EOS Movie functions.
2. Optimizes program shift when the ISO setting of the camera is set to AUTO.
3. Corrects a misspelling in the French-language menu.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which vertical magenta-colored banding appears in still images taken in movie-shooting mode.
(This only occurs when in Manual exposure mode and when the ISO speed is set to "H". Note that this phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.0)

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The water is grossly under exposed while the near pure white feather on the horny ducks are blowing your highlight. It's just a really lovely lighting situation all around.

You could probably save it by framing the ducks only and leave the water in the shadow or try exposing for the water and dont give a gently caress about the ducks.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I had that lens for a while and I don't it's even worth paying money for. Your best starting lens is probably the tamron 17-50, if you can't pay that much then get the 18-55 IS, which is a huge improvement over the non-IS and can be had for about 100 bucks.

Save some money and try to get the body by itself for around 200.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 21, 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if the sweep panorama mode will out put as a single raw file?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

chef posted:

Any recommendations or things to watch out for on photo scanning services?

I have a box of old photos I'd like to digitize, nothing fancy but I don't want some guy with a crap home scanner of course. I'm a little bit leery about mailing them off but it looks like that may be the best option pricewise.

It's on the same page :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307521

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McMadCow posted:

Holy crap, is that the park on Roosevelt? I used to live right there on the corner.
There really needs to be a SF Dorkrom meet and greet, or something.
:respek:

And yep looks like it's Corona Heights Park.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Because it's actually mpix.com :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well the 1200mm is great for enlarging the sun :v:

Click here for the full 1024x760 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just remember some people actually like terrible things such as over-used HDR. And how do you know that she isn't just pretending to be happy with the new shoot just like how she was satisfied with your one?

Also I think the shot you took was a bit bland and the skin tone was too yellow. And I can see how they'd like the new shoot in a more fancy setting even though it has a terrible shadow from the flash.