Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

xzzy posted:

Seems like a really sound business model, toss your prices into a blender every so often and spend a week getting poo poo on by the internet for doubling the price for no reason.

When you have the monopoly that adobe have you can do what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

I'm headed to Ireland for the first time on vacation in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out what, if any, additional gear I should get before. I only got into photography last year and am still inexperienced (although happy with the way my shots of Iceland turned out last fall).

Here is what I have so far:
Canon Rebel T6
18-55mm (kit lens)
75-300mm (kit lens)
50mm 1.8
10-18mm wide angle
spare batteries and memory cards
manfrotto tripod
lens brush
flashlight/headlamp (maybe both)
some sort of cable-release, haven't purchased this yet

Ditch the 50mm - I love mine but for travel it's not worth the weight when a good mid range can fill its role.
Ditch the lens brush - just get a pack of cloths off amazon.
Consider ditching the 10-18mm wide angle. how heavy and big is it? Your 18-55mm can reporoduce a lot of the same shots with some repositioning, it's a great focal length to own but its something I'd consider leaving it at home if I was travelling.
Don't bother with the cable release - unless you get seriously into landscape the timer on the camera will be fine, if you really want one maybe get a wireless remote (if your camera supports it) amazon basic one is like £6 and works fine.
Maybe leave the flashlight depending on what your doing? - I used to always take my flashlight but except for the one time we explored some caves on holiday, I've not used it once while travelling.
As for filters, as others have said it takes some learning to use them well and decent ones are more costly than you would think.

To add to all this, make sure you have a really good bag, from the sounds of things you're gonna be walking a LOT and none of those cool looking peak design messenger bags are gonna cut it. If you haven't already invest in a solid respected full backpack with all the various extra straps to proportionally spread out weight. You look like a dork but your back will thank you 3 hours into that hike.

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm a big fan of the Sigma/Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 as a general purpose walking about lens for APS-C. It's not crazy expensive and it's a definite step up from the 18-55 kit lens in terms of image sharpness and the fixed aperture through the zoom range.

Seconding this. I own the Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 and its a really truly great lens for APS-C, probably the only negative you can put against is its a little on the heavy side compared to most kit lenses of the same focal length but the quality is so much better its worth it. It stays on my camera probably 85% of the time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nitramster posted:

I'm taking my a6000 with a 20f18 35f18 and the kit 18-55 to the Sequoia's this weekend. Any tips for shooting in the forest? How do I get cool sun streaks through the trees? (I'm a n00b)

A Tripod. When taking pictures in a forest, low light is the biggest obstacle.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Got a new phone and reinstalled the Flickr app (Oneplus 7 Pro, Android 10). I use the Flickr app to download images from my Flickr account to my phone so that I can then reupload them to Instagram (or share them on Line or w/e). The old version of the app has been deprecated and there's now a completely new one. Ok, I got that and signed in as before.
If I try to download anything now I get a 'Download started' notification, and then nothing. No download complete notification, and no downloaded file in any gallery album or download folder. The Flickr app has all permissions granted including storage, I have data saver off and no usage caps on my mobile data package.
I tried googling for answers, but all the threads I could find are about the previous app version, and were resolved by giving the app storage permissions - which it already has.

Does anyone here have the same problem? Did you fix it?

For me flickr creates a folder in the DCIM folder called flickr and dumps it there.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Hmm, so it does, however that folder is only viewable via file maangeer and not via the gallery app. Do you know how to make it visible so that it behaves like any other app media folder?

It's viewable and sharable in my gallery app which is the default one on a oneplus5 which I'd assume be the same as yours?

Just looked and you can also share it from the Google photos app.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that’s where I was expecting to find something, but all I get is generic stuff.

Strange but not the end of the world, if my phone stays logged in. Have moved over to Google Photos using an unofficial Lightroom script. Not a massive fan, but eh.

Are you using the current Flickr app or the discontinued one?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m planning on getting a computer just for editing photos. I wanna setup an area away from my main computer dedicated just for it so I don’t get distracted with all the games loaded on my PC and so the hard drive is just for photos. I was looking a iMacs because of the big 5K displays but there’s so many options and I feel like a lot of them would be over kill for just PS/Capture One. I also know Apple tends to overprice as all hell for what you’re getting. Are iMacs good for photo editing and if so what kind of model should I be looking at or are there cheaper options that work just as good if not better?

Any reason a second hard drive you duel boot into wouldn't also fulfil your needs? To play games you'd have to shut down and boot into the other HDD, id think that be just as much effort as changing seats would be and substantially cheaper?

I have this exact setup for programming for similar reasons (but also because windows sucks for that).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Only issue with Flickr for back ups, it doesn't back up raws.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

While I agree Flickr isn't a storage site, the sharpening is only applied to the resized images, not the original upload. And they added a bulk downloader some time ago.

Personally I'd love it if they expanded into this space, I'd be happy to pay an extra few £ on top of my pro to backup raws but whenever I've emailed them about the idea they have very much said its not something they are interested in.

Right now I use amazon prime for my raws, as I'm already paying for it anyway for other benefits.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Any $20 reader on amazon will do fine. It won't be the fastest speeds but it will certainly be better than what you get through the camera.

I have a cheap Chinese one (uGreen) and it happily churns out pretty close to 5Gbps. You can get better than that but you have to go up market to big memory brands like SanDisk etc who charge far more.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

How often does the adobe photography package (photoshop/lightroom) go on sale? I'm interested in getting back into some photography, but I wouldn't mind waiting for a sale.

I managed to grab it for £89.99 a few months back for 12 months. So it does happen from time to time but I don't think there's much rhyme or reason.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've just recently started being super aggressive with deleting. If I'm not gonna process it and share it, I'll just delete the raw.

Once I've processed and shared it, i move the raw to a new location, separate from my mass storage.
I only recently decided to start doing this after realising I have thousands of raws, taking up terabytes that I've not looked at in years and it made finding those I actually liked and wanted to go back and edit impossible.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

I like to savor my failures, so I import in lightroom onto a NAS, wait to let it build previews on my SSD, and then cull 99% of everything I took. You really start to appreciate how bad you are when it takes an afternoon to go through all the trash.

The worst is when your coming up to a shot in your import which, in your head thought was gonna be amazing, and it's a dud.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Darktable is one that gets good reviews but is not available (and probably never will be) for Windows - poke around the website and the FAQ includes "Windows?" with the answer: "Install Linux"

Darktable has had a windows release for 3 years now.

For many peoples needs darktable is good enough. Personally I pay for lightroom as I don't enjoy post processing and lightroom allows me to spend as little time as possible doing it.

Also of note, you can buy 1 year subs of "Adobe photography plan" (lightroom classic + Photoshop). I hunt around and often get them for around £90, making it £7.50 a month instead of the usual £10.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 8, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm having a galaxybrain moment and can't seem to find it, if there is one:

What's the recommended "kit lens upgrade"? I bought a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 years ago from a wonderful gooon on here, but that lens has now poo poo the bed and it would cost more to fix it than to buy something new. It seems, however, that specific lens is no longer made, and I have no idea what the next best thing is. Again, sorry if this is information posted somewhere, I am just blind and stupid.

If its APS-C sensor then my go to recommendation is always the sigma 17-50mm f2.8. The price/performance of that lens is just wonderful.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It depends what part of the hobby you enjoy.
If it's just the end result then a phone is fine for most photography. I personally enjoy the actual taking of the photo the most and with a phone that feels kinda soulless to me, everything is either automatic or incredibly fiddly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I use the rear screen for odd angles only. I feel too detached from the image just looking at a screen on the back.
I picked up a fuji x10 for a small quality camera to have on me at all times and it's lack of view finder made me end up selling it, just took the fun out of taking pictures for me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well they are wrong, digital dwarfes film but film has had a resurgence in popularity.
You can get lots of high quality equipment incredibly cheaply and it's kind of a back to basics experience. It's fun to not know what you got until you develop the film and cameras are often mostly manual so it's sort of a test of your skills.

It's kind of like how some people enjoy model aeroplane kits, why not just buy the model pre-built?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Also who doesn't like collecting toys.
Look up nikons old AIS lenses and tell me they aren't gorgeous.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm only trying to advocate more thoughtful discourse. Thinking differently about photography is not a bad thing! You are welcome to ignore me but I thought there was purpose to our discussion

Could you do it via the edit button instead of making multiple posts though please? Unlike film, editing posts aren't destructive, you can edit them as much as you like!

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 23, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Personally I use manual with auto iso as I found aperture mode failed me for anything that wasn't still life, which as a dog owner, is a lot of my 'work'. And cranking the dials is faster in my nikon than switching modes so I ended up just using it for everything.

I also think there is some real value of learning on manual. The modes definitely have their place in your tool box, and anyone why claims pros don't use them is speaking our their arse. But manual forces you to learn how shutter, aperture and iso work together to balance light. And when the modes arnt gonna work for you.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 1, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

No Nikon 870 then. A lot of people were holding out hope.

Makes sense though R&D is expensive and Nikon just do not have the money to do both.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you are taking pictures with a camera , you're a dork. Everyone seeing you taking pictures thinks you're a dork. Accept it.

I personally have both a sling and a backpack.
The sling is for the camera + 2 lenses. Usually take this for city stuff.
For hiking etc I take the backpack as even if instill only take 2 lenses, the weight is much better distributed.

Both these setups have the side entrance for the camera itself which I prefer for quick access.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just make sure it's the G2 and not the G1. Huge difference in quality.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If a lens comes with a hood I use it.
Lots of benefits with very few downsides.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't have any hoods that aren't attachable reversed to the lens, so bag space has never been a problem for me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rawtherapee or darktable

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've traveled back to 2009 and am mostly using Flickr again. It takes some cultivating, you need to prune groups which are just picture dumps and follow people you like. Explore is also completely hit and miss, but there is good stuff in there and lots of goons to follow.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Capture one pro is the goto for high quality but not subscription (all though it has that option)

Best free options are rawtherapee and darktable.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Flash street does look cool but I think I read once that if you took away the camera your effectively just sneaking up on people and shouting boo in their face.
So if you want to be that kinda person, go for it I guess? But be prepared to take a punch or have your gear smashed.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you took my picture I wouldn't care. If you blinded me with a flash I would care.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe an example would help.

https://youtu.be/kkIWW6vwrvM

I think you probably can do flash without being an arsehole. But Gilden definitely is one.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's just a prank art bro

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

This debate started about unexpected flash photography, I don't generally have a problem with street photography, but I would not like to have a flash go off in my face without my knowledge.

Yeah it's this for me.

I think 99% of people don't care about street photographers and if I saw one I'd think 'neat'. However someone jumping into peoples paths, putting a camera and flash right into their face, blinding them and probably scaring them half to death in the process? (what Gilden seems to do to get some of his shots) Yeah I'm gonna think they are an arsehole.
And I wouldn't care if it's for Art.

However I get the impression some others are against any photography without strict consent? Which to me kinda makes a lot of photography (not just street) impossible.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

When starting out I think it's always a good idea to shoot raw+ jpeg. It takes up more room but memory cards are cheap and will allow you to share stuff with friends instantly but have the raws to come back to when you wanna try and improve the photo yourself.

With this you can also try matching your cameras output with your raws as a way to learn.
You say you use darktable? Its great but complicated to begin with, lots of duplicate modules.

https://pixls.us/articles/darktable-3-rgb-or-lab-which-modules-help/

This was written by one of the devs of darktable, you don't need to read it all, just skip down to the recommended beginner workflow bit, it helps a lot.

That last image with the purple whites, the chromatic aberration module should help with that.

There is also this channel which does very good tutorials on each module and what it does
https://m.youtube.com/@audio2u

If you like film styles then try these https://github.com/iblazhko/darktable-filmstyles

Just remember to have the box ticked to replace the previous style as you go through trying them out, otherwise it's gonna apply them on top of each other and look weird.

Megabound posted:

Has anyone ever taken your photo before or are you just that delicate of constitution that any time someone takes a photo of you you need someone to rush over with smelling salts?

:dafuq:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 10, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got the impression that a lot of people got a DSLR for a specific need then tried to play around with photography to justify the expense, rather than justify the expense to pursue the interest in photography.

Now phones fulfill the general need the latter doesn't happen.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you want to shoot with people, look up if your town/city has a photography club. Mine does even though it's not q particularly large town, I went to a meet once and it was a good 60+ people.

I ended up not joining though, I prefer shooting alone and the competitions and talks didn't interest me much personally. I should probably reconsider, would probably help me get better.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

No it's locked at that. It's an intentional limitation of the camera to keep it away from the z6.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just don't use Instagram. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't share my hobby with friends except in person, but to be honest I think barely any of them even still use Instagram.