Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I think that's pretty clever. I've done similar tricks to open up a matte before, but nothing as meticulously-planned like that. Sounds insane, but the end result is very :cool:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

^^^I thought the same thing, I suppose it's trickier since you're trying to create a photo that is traditionally impossible, there's a handicap on the frame of reference; it's harder to fake something you haven't seen.

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I think it's the effect of having very shallow depth of field without flattening the image like a telephoto would. At least, that what it looks like to me.

edit: Yeah, notlodar's got it. It looks like a large format photo... although why you wouldn't just use a 4x5" I'm not sure.
As he explains, there are no MF lenses that are that fast. Whatever the science reasons behind the technical limitation, it remains a limitation, those lenses don't exist. It's very cool and I'd love to try it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Cool, I've got an Omni and a Fong dome (somewhere), I'll trial them both.

The AF assist beam will be tricky to get pointing perfectly if I'm shooting in dim conditions, but a bit trial and error is part of the fun :p
I remember being kinda amazed (coming from Nikon) when I discovered Canons didn't have AF-assist lights in-body. It would suck not having that little light. :(

That said congrats on the kit, and good luck with the lighting.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SquallStrife posted:

2. Are you getting mirror slap? Hold some black card in front of your lens as the shutter opens.
I can't believe I never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Could someone post a link to whatever this is that's being discussed?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Same size as the camera did. I shoot at L, for my D40 it was 3008x2000, for my D90 it's 4288x2848. 12 on the compression setting.

For film scans I ask the lab to scan at 3000x2000, in tiff format. 6 MP is plenty for prints and any larger it's a big jump in price.

pwn
May 27, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

I remember seeing an image with a girl on a bridge shot with various lenses to demonstrate the effects of background compression with wide v. tele lenses. Does anyone have this image? I'm having trouble tracking it down.
I've never seen that, though this is a demonstration on how focal length affects facial features.

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

Reminds me of "Hope this helps" posts in Lowtax threads.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

This is why lens designers drink.

"You want a lens that, pointed forwards, can see your feet, and also fast enough to shoot at midnight during a lunar eclipse? And you want it to cost less than your car?"
And weigh less than it, too! :argh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

The reason that tilt-shift works so well is because people for some reason intrinsically know what shallow DOF macro photography looks like and associate it with tiny things, even though most people dont know what DOF or Macro means.

There is no visual effect that we associate with images of huge things, mainly because images of huge things generally approximate our field of view, assuming we're back far enough.

I think Dr. Cogwerks is right, its all about perspective. Make it look like the image was shot from a tiny viewers perspective.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Interrupting Moss posted:

Does anyone have a link to the thread where woot fatigue explained his process?
:allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

ISO, bro. ISO.

Take your camera out of Auto ISO and learn to judge what each exposure's setting ought to be. Learn to do test shots. It's digital, you're not "wasting" frames to learn from results. You've got this new toy, pick a still life and take a bunch of shots at different ISOs and shutter/aperture combinations, see what they look like. You should be dying to do stuff like that. When I get bored at work I'll try poo poo out on stuff in the office and learn about magnification in relation to depth of field and a million other things. Stick with it and it'll soon become more intuitive. If you're leaving it on autopilot you're not getting your hands dirty and it's like a glorified P&S in that application.

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 19, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

psylent posted:

I shot a charity event today and now that I'm in post, I'm very glad everyone was wearing a nice white nametag. It's really helping sort out my white balance issues :cool:
<3 :respek:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I stopped using Phorumr when I found this one: allSizes

pwn
May 27, 2004

General Gingersnap posted:

Where can I check that out?
A mod really, really, really needs to somehow sticky this post forever. It continues on the next page. woot fatigue is the man.

edit: ack :argh:

Martytoof posted:

How did you get into the business? I'm incredibly interested and it seems like an insanely fun thing to do, just go around taking photos of people's houses.

Obviously there's stress, but it seems fun enough to balance out :)
I'm seriously considering trying my hand at it. wooten*, I have a question. Would you ever feel comfortable doing your job on film? Trade off bracketing for higher dynamic range?

*architectural photographers like to woot a lot evidently

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 13, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I'll ponder this on my way down to the ATM machine.
There used to be a GCO (Georgia Carpet Outlet) in town and their sign proclaimed, in huge letters: GCO Carpet Outlet. :ughh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Haggins posted:

Once again, being from Florida, the only time I wear gloves is when I'm cleaning the toilet.
On the other hand, Heat and Humidity Death starts in May and ends about now.

pwn
May 27, 2004

spog posted:

I used black electrician's tape - the slightly stretchy stuff that you can use to tape up wires.

A good quality tape will have an adhesive that is strong, lasts a long time, does not ooze under heat, yet removes cleanly without leaving behind any gunk.
The black electrical tape I've encountered in my life is the opposite of those things. Gaffer tape however owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Royking Dreper, bastard son of Don Roy King and Don Draper. (No really, what's that mean?)