Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yesterday I went to a prison to visit someone, got there, then was told that I had to wait a half hour before I could get in. So as a photographer in a scary looking place, I did what came natural to kill the time. I took some shots then came back to wait for entry. As I was waiting, the Dept. Of Corrections Officer told me to delete the photos I took. In such a situation I'd normally tell the guy to gently caress off, however, this situation was different and I complied.

So my question is, what software can I use to reclaim these photos? I use a mac but I could go into windows if I really have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

DaNzA posted:

Just stock up when sandisk's rebates roll around. They always have some ridiculous prices during the rebate periods eg. extreme iii 16gb for 30~ dollar each.

When does that happen?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

brad industry posted:

Recommendations for noise-reduction software for Mac that will let me just dump a batch in and hit go?

I'm a big fan of Nik dfine which I use with Aperture. You can tweak the settings on each photo fairly quickly if you want, or if you prefer, it will do batch editing with a single click. I don't use it anymore, but I assume it's the same for Lightroom.

They have a whole suite of plugins, and all of the ones I've used so far are of high quality. The plugins cost $80 and up on their own, however you can get the whole set for $300, which is a steal. The main ones I use are Color Efx, Silver Efx, and Sharpener. Color is a set of stylized filters (mimic film types, soft focus, and other PP techniques). Silver is for black and white conversions. Basically you send a photo to it and scroll through the presets until you get close to the image you want. After that there are TONS of options and sliders that allow you to tweak the image just the way you want. You can also make your own filters if you want to.

Now these may sound like they're made for newbies, but I assure you they're not and there are several compelling reasons why a professional should get the pack. First off, these programs allow you to process photos much faster than going into Photoshop. Secondly, even though it's faster, the results you get out are as good as, if not better than what you can do by hand in PS. There is no sacrifice in quality for speed. Finally, even if you are very adept in photoshop, it helps a lot to scroll through the list and see what the filter will do with out having to do any work. I might have an image I want to convert to black and white and I'll have an idea in my head of what I'd want it to look like. If I send it through Silver Efx, I might see a better look for that photo that I wouldn't have thought of in my head. I now do all my black and white in Silver Efx and I often get complements on my conversions. Same with Color Efx; I'm able to see what works and what doesn't very quickly.

/fanboy off

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Here is example what of a weather sealed camera can do

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I used to use noise ninja but now a days I'm a fan of Nik dfine. If you buy it, I'd highly recommend just going ahead and getting the complete collection since the other plugins are pretty kick rear end and you get a good deal on it. Each plugin is $99, but you can buy all 7 for $300. I use the hell out of SilverEfx, ColorEfx, and Sharpener is a must have for me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

fronkpies posted:

Probably ben asked a thousand times already, but im getting an imac on monday (oh god cant wait) and dont know whether to go with what i know and get lightroom or try aperture.

What does everyone prefer?

I started out in Lightroom on windows and switched to Aperture when I got a mac last year. The big thing for me was at the time in LR, if I wanted use a filter like noise ninja or what ever, I'd have to go into photoshop. In Aperture, filters don't require Photoshop. I've heard they've made it less painless in LR now a days, but I think most filters require that you have Photoshop installed. Probably not a big deal if you already own it.

I think the new LR 3 might be a bit better than the current Aperture 2, but we're due for Aperture 3 and who knows what's in store. One advantage is that LR will always have is that there is a lot of support material for it. You'll find a lot more books, websites, and goons using it than Aperture. I thought about switching back to LR but it'd be a lot easier to stick with the horse I got than trying to relearn everything.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have any experience with mail in rebates from B&H? I hate MIRs but I trust B&H not to screw me over. Term says 60 days, is that about right?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

ryan at altarsofradness dot com

I'll throw it on my mobile me when I get it and we can max that bitch out.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Probably don't need it now but here is a mirror

http://public.me.com/altarsofradness

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I wouldn't worry about the issue. Even if you do get a dud you can just take it to the store and swap it out no problem.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was most likely going to buy a used one (locally would be great, although may go with eBay) so I'm assuming I won't have that option. An Apple refurb is a possibility though.

I think even if you buy it used the one year warranty is still good and you can just take it to the store if there is a problem. Getting a refurb from Apple is a great idea since it'll be in perfect condition (hell, probably better than new since they inspect them closely) and you save a lot of money. Also you get the same warranty as a new machine. I've been pretty happy with my refurb MBP I bought last year.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Tincans posted:

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

The "Click to Look Inside" bit will show you a contents page that'll help you decide if it's what you're looking for.

Seconding this. I learned a lot from it and think back to it almost every time I take a photo.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

brad industry posted:

Some kind of portable tablet version of Aperture would be amazing.

This would be great and I think all the stars are aligned to make this a possibility within the year. For one thing we're due for a new Aperture some time this year. Apple has a little catching up to do with Adobe and I have a feeling they'll do a few things to take the lead in the race.

Secondly, based on the presentation this afternoon, it's clear that Apple sees the iPad as not just a media watching/reading/browsing device but also as a content creation tool. This can be seen by the inclusion of iWork and Brushes. Apple does a lot to support photographers and I can't imagine them not wanting to give us a reason to pick up a tablet.

On the camera side I think we're going to see more and and more first party support and third party solutions for on camera wifi. For example not long ago Canon released a wifi battery grip for the 7D. From my understanding this grip will dump your shots to where ever you want and allow you control the camera remotely. It seems like all that is needed for wireless tethering is the proper software support on the iPad.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I doubt it could run a full version too. Editing would be nice but I'd be more interested in just using it to check images for flaws, catalog, metadata, and do some cool things to control the camera. Then it could act as a storage device until I sync it to my computer where it'll put everything in it's organized place (all the albums, tags, whatnot I specified on the iPad).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think it'll have a USB or FireWire port but it does have the same iPhone/iPod port. I would think that it could easily act as a USB port. Someone has to make something, there will be a lot of money in it for them.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Apple's RAW camera support is pretty much on par with Adobe and I'm sure it will continue to be. They have to be on the ball with that stuff considering Aperture is in direction competition with LR.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Has anyone used Kelbytraining.com or Lynda.com for photoshop, workflow, lighting training? I know alot of stuff is already online for free, but it's $200 for a year at Kelby and if I can save time searching for tutorials then its worth it for me.

I've used Kelby a bit and it's got some real good photography and lighting videos. There is a decent amount of content but I doubt there is enough to keep you busy all year. You can probably breeze through all the videos you want to see in a month or two.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think it's better to overexpose without clipping. When you bring shadows up, you get nasty noise you have to deal with. When you overexpose you don't get any quality issues.

Also I just wanted to post to say I finally got my gear insured. I went with Metlife for renters and got the standard insurance for the stuff in my apartment with replacement value riders for my camera gear and laptop. I got about $4000 coverage for my camera and $2500 for my computer gear for commericial use. I'm paying something like $370 a year total. Well worth it IMO.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Where did you go to get the stuff appraised?

I haven't gotten that far yet.

Ration posted:

Would it be possible to get a centralized reference for quality books? Perhaps added to the FAQ? I understand that there are links and what not of stuff to read online, and that is great, but I would like to have some books to reference when I'm not on the computer.

The only ones that I have found thus far are "Digital photography..... grab yourself a 2 mp camera and let's get this point and shoot working for you!!!" and it's quite annoying. I've found a few throughout all of the threads in this forum, but I think a centralized point of reference would be beneficial to all of us new guys.

I started a short review thread but only one other goon posted before it died

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ration posted:

I searched every forum and nothing came up. If you happen to find it, I'd be in debt to you.

It looks like it fell off. If there is enough interest I'll give it another try. I know a lot of us read a lot of books and I think it'd be an asset for the forum. I was hoping the last thread would turn out something like this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1667350

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Are you talking Ken Light? The project was called "Coal Hollow"
http://coalhollow.org/

Pretty amazing series even if that's not who you're thinking of. He was actually one of my professors a few semesters ago.

Pretty cool, I wanna check that book out now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Fiannaiocht posted:

I have a question about libraries in Aperture 3. I'm trying to free up space on my computer so I have my library file copied to my external hard drive and switched the library in the app. However making adjustments is way slower now. My library contains both the versions and masters and I was thinking I could increase performance by having the masters referenced on the external and the library on the internal or figure out how to move completed projects from the internal library to the external library. How do you guys deal with this?

I'm guessing it's slower because your library is on a USB external drive. Though I haven't tried it, I assume a firewire 800 drive might be fast enough to where you don't see a decrease in performance.

Regardless, what I do and what I suggest you do, is break up your library into several libraries and throw your older images on the drive. I've been making separate libraries for each year of photos and throwing the past years (the ones I don't need to access often) on my external. Aside from saving space, you'll also get a performance boost as Aperture tends to slow down around when the library hits 10,000 images.

To split libraries what you need to do is make a new library, then import your current library into the new library. Next, in the new library, delete whatever you want to keep in the working library then switch back to your working library. In the working library delete everything you added to the new library. Be sure to make a back up of the original library and keep it around till you're certain everything is still in tact.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spf3million posted:

How about 3D, fake tilt shift, hdr timelapses?

If by fake tilt shift you mean make big things look small, stoners across the world would eat that poo poo up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't really see anything wrong with flickr. I don't get why people bitch about generic comments, if you don't like it you can ignore it or delete it. You can't really expect random people to spend hours and hours critiquing every photo they see whether they were asked or not. If you want good feedback there are some really good groups (forums) on the site that can help you out. You just have to search them out.

Flickr is really made for people who are "into" photography to:
A. Look at photos from photographers they know and don't know
and B. Post photos in a place where a lot people who have an interest in photography can find them.

If I'm looking for inspiration, flickr is the first place I'll go. There is more good content on there than a single person could look at in a life time. I really can't think of any other site like it.

As for posting to flickr, I post my work there for one simple reason: The more eyeballs that see my work, the better.

Other than being involved with other photographers/people into photography, as others have mentioned, flickr isn't really a good place to send friends/family/clients/people not really "into" photography. You probably want to consider more than one solution. With modern tools like Lightroom and Aperture, managing more than one hosting service is almost effortless.

As for me, I'll post all my artistic shots to flickr, snapshots to facebook (mostly drunk photos of friends), a custom website with a very selective portfolio for clients, and I'll use mobileme to host photos for private galleries for people to view and download if needed. One day when I feel like taking blogs seriously, I'll add a blog site into the mix.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Once again, being from Florida, the only time I wear gloves is when I'm cleaning the toilet. However, I have heard great things about these: http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/aquatech-sensory-gloves.html

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I almost want to get one of those camo cover things for my white 70-200. Not because of thieves or anything, just to twart off the annoying stop and chats about photography.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

While we're on the subject, anyone have any problems with tripods? I'm going to Cancun tomorrow and I haven't flown internationally since 2002.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, made it past the tub stacking authority with my tripod. Still got one more flight to go before Mexico though. I brought my tripod case (which I keep my nano lightstand and compact umbrella in anyway) and shoved it in my carry on incase something goes wrong and I have to check it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Haggins posted:

Welp, made it past the tub stacking authority with my tripod. Still got one more flight to go before Mexico though. I brought my tripod case (which I keep my nano lightstand and compact umbrella in anyway) and shoved it in my carry on incase something goes wrong and I have to check it.

Update:

Had no problems with the tripod but I got busted by Mexican TSA for the tool kit which contained allen wrenches and a mini wrench. I just had them throw it out because I didn't want to check anything. At the time I was thinking it was going to cost $25 to check a bag but in retrospect I probably could have checked a bag for free anyway since it was an international flight. When I hit came back to the states in Miami, my last stop before flying home to Orlando, I had to check my duffle bag anyway or throw out my tequila.

I guess that's what happens when you book an international trip on a Saturday then fly out on a Monday. Oh well, I'm sure I can replace what was lost for $10 at home depot.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Allen wrenches maybe because they're pointy and metal? I really don't get why they'd take the wrench though, it's not really any different than an oval shaped bottle opener. As retarded as it sounds, spog has the best theory I've heard.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Are there any good tutorials on tone and exposure mapping? Everything I google for leads me to HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! websites that invariably mention photomatix. I'd like to take multiple exposures to bring out colors and up dynamic range, without making glowy melty crayola messes.

Think Dread Head style images.

I think you got it backwards. Tone mapping = that tacky stuff that no one likes while HDR simply means what it stands for.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It looks like it's time to stop deleting out of focus shots. Topaz Labs just came out with a new product called Infocus, which supposedly fixes out of focus images. Looking at the examples on the site it seems pretty impressive.

http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/#4

Right now, and until tomorrow, it's on sale for $30, which is $40 off. I went ahead and picked it up since the price was right. I haven't had time to fully test it yet, but what little I messed with seems promising.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If anyone is curious on how Infocus works, if you go to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_W_f4Ft7PE

Then fast foward to the 1:39:30 mark, Ray Maxwell explains how it works. It's not sharpening and it's not something you can do in Photoshop.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Manny Calavera posted:

How can I tell to what extent a photographer has used post-production to achieve the look of their photos? How do I know if a really good looking photo has only slightly been altered (if at all), when it was the photographer's skill with his or her camera settings that achieved the majority of the quality?

As an example, look at jackpot's recent excellent thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368162
To what extent has post production been used for most of the photos?

I'm still relatively new to photography (compared to the skill levels of most people here), and I'm still a far cry from achieving photos of this standard. I have the equipment for it, but not the skill. But like I say, I'm finding it difficult to learn from others when I'm not sure how much of what I'm looking at is artificial.

Unless it's some kind of photojournalistic photo, what does it matter if it's been altered?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

So I just installed the Carbonite free trial with the intention of buying if everything went smoothly, but I'm finding I can't use Carbonite on either of my external drives, which makes it pretty worthless for me, or at least a major pain in the rear end to back everything up. Am I missing something?

http://www.backblaze.com/ will back up your external drives. You just have to make sure it gets plugged in at least once every 30 days. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

jackpot posted:

Anyway, back to my original question: has anybody seen Bryan Peterson, and was it worthwhile?

Without fail, I always learn something new and useful every time I attend a workshop or presentation. Regardless if I think the subject is under me, over my head, or not in my area of interest. Needless to say I try to attend every photography presentation/workshop in town that I can.

With that said, you have to kinda make up a cost/benefit ratio of what's worth it to you. If he was charging $200 I'd forget about because I doubt you'd get your money's worth due to the subject matter. However, IMO, for $60 that seems like a good deal. Plus, his hot wife could be there :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I want dabble in food photography and the only thing I know is there is a lot food photography that I don't know. Does anyone have any good know any good resources for food photography? I'm mostly interested in books but I wouldn't mind checking out some websites and blogs.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

I'm going to be trying to climb a mountain in the next couple of days and the top is going to be all snow and glaciers. I've never really photographed in snow before, are there any useful tips to know? I'm going to be taking my Pentax K-x with the stock 18-55 and a polarising filter. Also any special care for the camera at altitude (it'll be around 6000m at the top) beyond the usual "don't drop it in the snow"?

To complement what subx said, I'd also bracket your shots as a precaution since you probably won't be back there any time soon.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

Thanks, but I don't know if my 430EX gets that hot.

I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point, but I've held my hand on top of the flash before and it barely even feels warmer.

I'll pick up those cards from B&H anyway though. At 1.95, why not?

If you want something a little nicer, honl has a nice system for speedlite modifiers. You start with getting a speed strap for $10 (which is needed for all their modifiers) then pick up a gel color filer kit for $20. They have a few other kits including color correction and a couple themed colors. It is a little pricy, and you could do this DIY to save a few bucks (check out strobist), however this stuff is pretty elegant, durable, and professional looking. After all this is something you can buy once and be done with and relative to the cost of other camera gear, it's very cheap.

I myself use couple speed straps, the color gel set, the color correction gel set, honl grid, and 8 inch reflector/snoot. I was going to buy the honl softbox but it's pricy ($80) and I'm not sure it's the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

I like taking panoramas, but whenever I stitch one together with more than four or five RAWs (using LR edit in photoshop), which are only 8mp out of my 40D, the resulting file comes in at 2-6gb depending on the number of images. This totally crashes my computer due to search indexer and the file has to be deleted in DOS.

I'm not running shoddy hardware either, Win 7 64bit, Intel i5, Radeon HD 5700 GPU, 4gb of RAM...

Right now I just export them as much smaller jpegs and then stitch those together to bring the file size down. Is this standard practice for large panoramas?

Yes. Do all all your level adjustments in lightroom first, then export them as full resolution jpegs, and finally, open them up in Photoshop. You don't have to do it that way all the time; just experiment to see what that magic number is. I know on my machine once I start going over 10 tiffs, my computer gets so slow it's unusable. This is on a mac too so it's a problem with all computers, not just your setup.