Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

A5H posted:

How do you shoot images in a nightclub that look 'cool' and not necessarily photographically great? Is it just, use the flash, open the shutter for a while and then move the camera around a bit once the flash has fired to get light trails and poo poo?

I have a few nightclub here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luisx_net/sets/72157601441159508/

Some of them have a description on how I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

spf3million posted:

It seems like they'd only really need to be still for a couple seconds while you fire off a panorama's worth of shots all at once. That guy used 62 different photos but that seems excessive to me. 20 or 30 should be plenty. And when you stitch, you don't really need to take alot of time recomposing, just point, shoot, move the camera little, shoot again. 7-10 seconds max should be plenty.

Meh, I think it will take 1-3 seconds per frame, so you are looking at 20 to 180 seconds per subject. Which in all honesty not too bad either.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I like beyond compare for my PC mirroring needs.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Any recommendations for a plastic covering for my lens+body? (5dmkii, 25-105mm lens OR 16-35mm lens). I will be shooting Savage this weekend in Florida, it is going to get muddy.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I prefer my 70F degree weather, thanks.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Depending on the object size and distance, that could work. You can also use a mirror, depending how diffuse/directional you want the light to be.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
What is it about photography that attracts scientists and engineers?

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

Mr. Despair posted:

got a problem with it?

No, I got a M.S. in Computer Science, and another photographer that I know also went for a technology degree as well. I find this fact interesting and something that I have noticed lately. I am probably falling into the correlation != causation fallacy.

In other news, a colleague of mine got their photo used without the photographer's permission. This happens all the time (no surprise there), but now people are defending the company that used the photo in the first place:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151824985761861&set=a.10150616692721861.380805.251061411860&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

Top comments-> 3rd reply or so, thread with 8+ replies.

Do people really think just because a photo is on FB its acceptable to use it at will?

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

SoundMonkey posted:

If I remember the privacy policy correctly, Facebook certainly feels it is :v:

Careful now, this is a slippery slope!

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

RangerScum posted:

Lol that is me.

Hi 5 buddy, thanks for the defense!

Edit: I just recently got into Instagram, and I am glad I did. Who would have thought that a social media site where you mainly communicate with photos would be good for photographers?

Going to get a tumblr account as well

LuisX fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Second what mr. despair said.
Controlling light is one of the major aspects of photography. If you want, experiment casually by using the sun as the main light, and take photos of the object in multiple angles, at different times.
Another approach is to study the lighting of photos you like, and attempting to recreate it.