Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Got my Rebel XSi yesterday and I have a question. I attached the strap but took it right back off, as I found it really hard to grip the camera comfortably with my left hand, the part of the strap that connects with the eyelet constantly got in my way. Does anyone else find this to be the case, am I attaching it wrong and is there a different way to do it? I do want the strap on as it's pretty convenient to let it hang from my shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

HPL posted:

Why are you gripping the camera with your left hand? You should be supporting the lens with your left hand.

I am, the strap hangs right there, sometimes it flops over in front of the viewfinder, it's just distracting and annoying.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Cool, I had no idea about either of those, thank you.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Dumbass question time: When people say "I metered off his face or the wall or whatever" do they mean pointing the camera at something, pressing the shutter halfway down and letting the camera get a reading and set the exposure? Is that how you meter something with your DSLR?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I'm heading down to FL to stay at my parent's house for about 5 weeks and I haven't really taken a picture in almost 2 months. I'm giving myself a project, which is to take a black & white portrait of everyone who lives in that house. The question is when you guys shoot black & white do you set the camera to monochrome or do you shoot in color and do all your B&W stuff in post? (I'd be working in LR) Any general tips for getting great B&W shots of people?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I'm probably going to head over to the ball drop in White Plains, usually a few thousand people turn up, maybe I can get a good photograph or two. Any advice on settings and such? I'm assuming it will be well lit, I'll try to keep the shutter as fast as possible to minimize shake but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

Are you using an slr? If so, which lenses do you have acces to?

Yep DSLR, XSi, and just the kit lens.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

if I've been running lightroom backups weekly those backups include all my changes, edits, etc. correct? stupid question but I'm going to uninstall lightroom and I want to make sure the backup can be imported again whenever and I won't lose anything

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

The backups and your original catalog can both be used on your new install. Uninstalling LR won't delete your working catalog anyway.

If I just manually delete the working folder it's no problem to import from the backups though, correct?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you mean by working folder?

If I format the drive will the LR backup, upon import, have all my edited images exactly as they were? I know this is the point of a backup but I want to be sure before I format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Yes. Also you don't "import" your backup, just open it in LR and off you go. It will have all your edit up to the point in time the backup was made, obviously.
Easiest is really to just copy your working catalogue somewhere and use that once you've reformatted.

I was going to do both, good to know, and thanks for all the answers.