Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

terriyaki posted:

If you're really annoyed by it you could get a looped strap like the Op-Tech Pro Loop. They fall away from the eyelets a lot easier than band straps. I think you can get them for around $20 USD or less from the POTN store.

http://www.procameragear.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/141

While it's rather ugly, it really is a great strap. Very very comfortable and distributes the weight in a way that makes everything feel lighter. I've contemplated switching to something more hipster a few times but just can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

HPL posted:

It looks like a great strap, but I'm not a fan of all the ugly printing on it.

Yeah, that one has even more than mine does. I completely agree though. The printing is unnecessary and unwelcomed. Even still, it's a great strap.

Granted mine isn't as bad as the one linked to, it just says Op/Tech USA in the center in about pt 16 font.
http://www.amazon.com/37012-Strap-Camera-Equipment-Black/dp/B00007E816/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250366748&sr=8-2

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

8-Bit Dracula posted:

How is this done practically?

EDIT: The photographing part

It requires a tripod (unless you're Ken Rockwell), and some ways are better than others.

If you can, bracket the exposures. You might not know what bracketing is but I'm fairly certain any dSLR has the option. It will allow you to take a shot at 3 different exposures one after another. So you could do -2, 0, +2 for example. This is nice because you won't have to touch the camera to make adjustments between shots. You should also shoot this with a cable release, IR remote, or if all else fails set the camera timer and take your hand off the camera.

In an imperfect world, like it tends to be, bracketing might not work because evenly changing the exposure across the three pictures might not be ideal. Unless your goal is poo poo HDR in which case -2, 0, +2 is perfect! However, you can't bracket be extremely cautious when you touch the camera, even on the tripod, because the slightest movement can be irritating to deal with when it comes to editing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

thefreshmaker posted:

I have a question about my camera and the elements. I'm a newbie and I just got my first SLR camera (Rebel XSi/450D). I'd like to take it out and shoot around the city. Is it bad to expose it to several hours of winter temperatures? Do I need to worry about condensation, warping, etc.?

I've taken my XT/5D/5DMKII into the Chicago winters on several occasions. Someone might come in and tell me I'm insanely stupid but here's what I got for you...

Overall it's fine, wait a little bit to let it "cool down" after you get outside for the first time but it should be fine. There was only once (the kind of day you wonder if your pee would freeze before it hit the ground) that the camera started acting funny.

Your batteries won't last as long and you should look for some gloves that will allow you to change settings on your camera.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

torgeaux posted:

Yes, this. going from dry to moist is the problem, and cold to heated usually fits the bill for those conditions. Equally applies to going from air conditioned interior to humid hot exteriors, e.g. tropical locations.

I assume the reason I probably haven't had any issues with this is I have never gone from cold to warm. Always cold, to cold car, to warming up car, to warm.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

brad industry posted:

How many photos do you process at once, because I have this exact same set up and it's pretty speedy.

Alternatively, take up smoking.

I had to upgrade my Core2Duo setup that was similar to an i7 when I went from 5D to 5D Mark II. The 22MP shots were killin the thing... especially when exporting to photoshop and back a lot too (though i think a lot of disk is also involved in that)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Eutheria posted:

Does anyone have a good, yet fairly basic, overview on the physics of lenses? I'm mostly looking for something that describes the way that light passes through the lens, how and why the interior layout of the groups matters, and the role the lens' focal length plays in all of this. Preferably something with handy diagrams.

The wikipedia entry on optical lenses isn't enough to help with your homework?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BobTheCow posted:

I'll wear a green visor and go as a blackjack dealer. I'll get access anywhere!

I think I'm going with khakis and dress shirt, with a tie in reserve if need be. I've never been to an inauguration before, but, now that I think about it, of course it'll be more formal than most events I'm used to shooting. Durr.

don't wear khakis and a tie. Wear black or gray dress pants and a tie with a button up dress shirt. I guess you could wear khakis and a tie but you'll look like the manager of a Best Buy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hybr1d posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Mac-based Lightroom/Flickr export/workflow manager? I'd like to be able to dump small groups of shots to my Flickr Pro account from Lightroom.

Not that it matters right this second but Lightroom 3 integrates that feature.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bahama.Llama posted:

I think this has been brought up before, but I apparently suck at searching or search doesn't search this sub-forum.

Has anyone had any luck with using a GPS device such as this and using it to plot exactly where a picture was taken by time stamp? I've always been really curious but haven't found many solutions that doesn't involve another piece of software that sucks.

If you have had experience and success with this, are you up for a run down?

This is probably way too much work but I use my Garmin Watch to perform a workout. After I pull the feed from the watch and sync it in lightroom with a free plugin some guy developed. It was very useful for cruising around Ireland when we had no idea where we had been. Fun to look at later.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16907042

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Fists Up posted:

Will I be able to take a photo backpack and a small shoulder bag on an international flight as carry on? I've heard mixed responses about what they consider photo gear as.

I might just ring thai airways as their website has nothing.

Yes. It's like when women carry a purse and a carry on. I have personally traveled with a backpack and my camera bag internationally and within us many times.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ola posted:

Quick and dirty test. No other edits apart from resizing to 800x600.

Quick and dark test. I can see results but can't help but not care unless you want to expose your poo poo correctly.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ola posted:

But I wasn't testing high ISO was I? Geez, is there a pretty-threshold for anything posted in this thread? I took a picture to maximize the noise and then tried to see what the app could do. It's not a pretty picture of a pack of cigarettes that's going on my Flickr, it's a picture of noise. Is this hard? I can take a pretty one afterwards if that makes you happy.
Stop defending your poor test.

Testing something like noise removal should be done in a real life example. Why would I care that you can remove noise from a mostly black lovely picture? That tells me absolutely nothing. There is not enough detail and color range to accurately judge if that's doing a good job or not.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Shmoogy posted:

e: bad test is a little harsh--

I don't think poor test is really that inaccurate of a statement though; I did not say bad test - though I guess those words are almost interchangeable. And while the initial image might be underexposed in real life the noise would likely occur from a person trying to bring it to the correct exposure. I guess moral of the story is... no one would ever use that image as is so it's not entirely useful. I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to do some real world testing but if they're going to do it wrong it's going to waste everyone's time and possibly give less knowledgeable people misconceptions.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Shmoogy posted:

Agreed, that's why I felt that you were correct in stating that it was a poor test, and why my edit said that I felt it was not a very useful test.

Oh sorry, it seems I just came in and got all defensive and confused myself ;D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Paragon8 posted:

I rarely if ever take my camera with me unless I know I'm going to be photographing something but there are plenty of people who do take their camera with them because they get a lot out of street shooting or just finding stuff on the street.

I'm with you on this. I generally only shoot planned things and don't take my camera out to explore. I did while on vacation but that's about it.

When I first started in photography I used to take photo trips to downtown chicago where I did sit and walk around with my camera snapping pics like I was a tourist on crack. Every picture I took was my own personal master piece. I also shot exclusively in manual. I would never do this now because I think maybe my expectation of work quality is higher and more demanding on originality but I believe this type of activity is essential to really getting your feet wet with the photography world. Doing this will give you an understanding of exactly what your gear can and can't do plus just learning basic photo mechanics.

Another piece of advise I'd give, which is unrelated to travel, you won't be an over night success. People might tell you the work you're doing is good, but, are they the right people? Don't let the ego boost you get from your friends go to your head then think you're mr. Big boy pants. Your style, technique, everything always has room for improvement. You will never take a perfect photo and the photo you do take someone has already done the same thing or better. Always strive to better yourself from the last shoot you did. People who let their perceived "incredible talent" go to their head get lazy and stop innovating. Then they come here and post cat photos in SAD for us to see or end up as FlickR superstars.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 26, 2010