Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The R-strap is fantastic, I highly recommend it. Comfortable, out of the way, and keeps the camera out of the way when you want it to be. Easy to remove when you want to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Any of you guys members at Sportsshooter.com? Worth the $25 a year? I just got "sponsored" for an account and the couple images I uploaded are currently being reviewed. Seems like a bit of a hassle, with lots of very specific instructions, but I think I'm actually happy with that. Weeds out all the morons that seem to populate most of the photography-related forums outside of SA I've come across.

Actually, I'm thinking of starting a thread devoted to photography resources on the web. I'm sure there are lots of great resources in the form of blogs, forums, communities, etc. out there that many of us just don't know about it. Think there'd be enough interest to keep something like that up, likely with a continually updated OP?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

that is awesome as fukc.

That is really cool. Also, looks like he lives in my area! Just fired off an e-mail to see if I can do a story on him. Thanks!

Not sure where this question belongs, but it probably doesn't warrant its own thread, so I figured I'd try here for traffic's sake. I just got confirmed for a media pass for a rally in Norfolk that President Obama will be attending to campaign for gubernatorial candidate Creigh Deeds tomorrow afternoon. I assume I'll be up on a platform back away from everything a little ways, with a bunch of crowds in between us and the podium.

I'm sure it'll be fairly straightforward stuff, I've attended these rallies before, but I was wondering if anybody had any neat ideas for different types of shots to look for that I could blatantly steal in my attempt to bolster my portfolio as much as possible tomorrow. :)

Obviously I'll have every democrat that could squeeze his way onto the bill speaking at the podium, and probably some Obama fanatics, and maybe some conservative protesters as well, but I'm sure there must be other things to look to shoot.

I'm planning on bringing two bodies, with a 70-200/2.8 and 17-50/2.8, as well as a 1.4 extender. My buddy will have a 400/2.8 that I'm going to try desperately to borrow for a short time.

e: Ooh just thought of a couple more ideas. I should document the way in to the rally, including security and local candidates shaking hands and such, and if I have time/access, the mess that will result from tons of people showing up in traffic and crowds and such.

Sorry, seems like I'm just sort of thinking out loud more than anything at this point.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I got in touch with him! Gonna stop by his place on Friday or Saturday to chat with him and see his equipment, and do a photo story on the whole thing. :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

oh man thats cool, is he in the hampton roads area? need an assistant on anything regarding the shoot?

He's in Richmond, I'm gonna stop by on my way up to northern Virginia for a Halloween party.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I met Shaun this afternoon, the camera truck guy. He showed me the truck and talked about the process, then pulled out a couple enormous finished prints to take a look at, which were super cool.

The photos I took are nothing special at all, basically quick snaps while he was doing a few things. I was focusing more on the reporting aspect, since I'm gonna write a story on him. All the same, when I've put that stuff together in the next day or two I'll share it here. :)

He's a really cool guy, by the way. He's not a photographer by trade. He's in marketing, just always been interested in photography and decided to try out his crazy idea.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
A little late, but my camera truck feature finally got published in our student paper this week.

Print photo story: http://www.thecaptainslog.org/pdfs/Volume41/Issue10/pg2.pdf (only PDF, sorry, for some reason our online editor doesn't put up the Page Two feature section in our online edition)

Soundslide show: http://www.thecaptainslog.org/multimedia/Camera_truck/

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Whoops, guess I should have explained again in this post. I'm not the camera truck guy. Somebody posted that link, I discovered he was nearby, so I wanted to get out to meet him. I put together the stories after interviewing him. :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That is really cool, I like the audio slideshow. More news stories should be done like that. What are the prints like? Did you get to see an imaged focused inside the truck?

Thanks, I've enjoyed playing around with Soundslides. It's a really easy program to use.

The prints are super cool. I'm really not even sure how to describe them... parts are incredibly sharp and crisp, generally toward the middle, while portions to the edges are sometimes a mess, since the developing process is so absurd. They definitely have a handmade feel to them that I enjoyed. Also, they're just huge. It's neat to stand next to an 8x4 foot print and look at the original photo, not something that's been hugely blown up.

It was a pretty overcast day when I visited him and the truck was parked under some trees, so it wasn't optimal for making an image. However he did seal everything up as best he could and opened up the lens and hung some paper, and sure enough, you could see the beginnings of a photo with the light that came through.

I'd love to go out with him sometime when he starts shooting with it again to get a better idea of what the process is really like.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey guys,

This is a pretty weird question to ask, but I'm not sure who to turn to. I'm shooting the inauguration of the new Virginia governor, Bob McDonnell tomorrow. I've shot political rallies before, but never an official ceremony. Is there any sort of expected dress code for photographers?

There's no mention of anything in the press packet, and I'm a guy, which is probably important.

I was planning on wearing jeans and a nice sweater, but I can kick it up a notch if need be. Just don't want to sway too far in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'll wear a green visor and go as a blackjack dealer. I'll get access anywhere!

I think I'm going with khakis and dress shirt, with a tie in reserve if need be. I've never been to an inauguration before, but, now that I think about it, of course it'll be more formal than most events I'm used to shooting. Durr.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Just so this discussion about clothing can end, I'll update you all. I wore khakis and a nice button-up shirt, no tie, and I was more dressed up than most of the rest of the photographers in the press corp. The guys working for the governor were wearing suits though.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey people who use smugmug, do you have your own hosting for things like .pdf files that smugmug doesn't support? I have written work that I need to include, but don't want to host it with some other site like filebox. But I'm an idiot who can't figure out how to be able to access any files on my own hosting, since the CNAME records redirect to my smugmug site.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Greybone posted:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugVault maybe? I'm not 100% sure that it lets other users download stuff or not though.

I wish! That was one of the first things I checked on, but no dice, smugvaults are only accessible by me.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm gonna be at work all day, but for anybody who may be interested, Chase Jarvis is doing a shoot today which will be live webcast the whole time. I can never decide what I think about this guy, but it could be a neat experiment all the same.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/01/live-broadcast-of-our-photoshoot.html

http://www.chasejarvis.com/live

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Shmoogy posted:

I don't think intuitive is the proper word for it, I don't think I've really ever heard of people using a dedicated autofocus button instead of priming the shutter button, and I'm sure most people would probably back me on that. Although, I am very new to dSLRs, so maybe it's something that I just haven't really read about.

In my experience it's actually exactly the opposite, quite a bit more common for folks to prefer back-button focusing. That's especially true in the sports world, where tracking a moving subject quickly while blasting the motordrive would be nigh impossible all with the shutter button.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Farrok posted:

I have a question about the capabilities of Canon software. I guess most importantly I'm wondering if the metadata of transferred images contain the settings of a DSLR, such as aperture size and so on. Is the camera aware of various lens types? Is the metadata only available in certain type of image such as jpg or raw? Are there other neat things that Canon's transfer software can do?

You can do all of that without touching any of Canon's crappy software. I know that Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge (Adobe products), as well as Photo Mechanic, all maintain metadata, and I assume alternatives like Aperture, iPhoto, and the like do as well.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
On the flip side, if you're shooting at extremely high ISO to salvage low available light, noise will be worse in shadows than highlights.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
The better question is why are you using the filter to begin with? If you don't have a very specific reason to use it, you probably shouldn't, as obviously it's detrimental to image quality. It would make more sense to simply not use a filter than try and undo the damage in post (assuming, again, you don't have a specific reason to use one).

This thread has had a lot of filter discussion recently: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=88

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

therattle posted:

Bob, must disagree with you too - I know of no easy way to accurately recreate the increased colour saturation and loss of reflection that a polariser provides. I do not believe that it is easy to recreate in post the effect of a polariser (that said, I know very little about PS etc). I would rather create an image that is close to how I want it as possible and minimise post tinkering.

Good, that's what I wanted to hear. :) Like I said, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to use that sort of filter, and it sounds like you know what you're doing with it. There are just too many people who use filters without really understanding why, at which point it isn't helpful and will only cause problems.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
You might consider an R-strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/

I use mine pretty frequently and it works well. I just tried it with a backpack on, and it was a little awkward, but I'm pretty confident that if you spend some time fine-tuning the adjustments with you and your pack it would work fairly well.

The only problem I can think of is that it will bounce around against your hip a little as you hike, but I can't think of any system that would prevent that at all.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Rontalvos posted:

I have never found a store that even knew what the R-Strap was. I wish you the best of luck.

Yeah, I only found out about it because my buddy had one and I got to play with his. :( Also never seen one in stores.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Rontalvos posted:

How do I get out of the cycle of overshooting and now that I've got 10's of gigs of worthless images how do I go about sorting them out without getting discouraged?

Every time you press the shutter, think about what makes what you're about to capture a good image. Before you take another picture, think about what's different between the two. Soon you'll start anticipating shots you want before they happen, and wait for the right moment, instead of motordriving yourself to insanity hoping you accidentally make a good image.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Billy Hunt phogotgaphyyyyyyyyyyyy... bahahah that was threat.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

hybr1d posted:

I'm getting ready to go for some long hikes, taking several cameras with me. I have a basic Bogen/Manfrotto tripod, and I honestly have no idea how to carry it on my full size pack. I tried putting it where the sleeping bag/roll goes down on the bottom, but it just slides around. Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks!

External or internal frame pack?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
If the broken down tripod isn't too much longer than the pack is wide, you might try attaching it under the top part of the pack that disconnects. If it's significantly longer than that and must be attached vertically, could you sacrifice one of the external water bottle pockets, stick one in end that and the other end through the strap a foot or two above it?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Let's none of us forget to heed the directive of the thread title. :v:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Nikon's spokesman: Ashton Kutcher
Canon's spokesman: Its own goddamn business card :cool:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

orange lime posted:

I know a guy who shoots with a (literally) $15 640x480 camera that doesn't even have a screen, but it has a flash, which he uses to optically trigger a handheld speedlite, and gets these awful grainy low-resolution photos with wonderful lighting.

Hahahaha what the hell? Why? Any examples you could share?

e: I feel like I should contribute this product to the conversation: http://www.lightscoop.com/

I don't really have anything constructive to add other than yes people do buy a $30 mirror to bounce their underpowered on-board flash. I don't know who, but the man makes a profit. I'm with orange lime, I'd assume that when you reach the point that you understand and appreciate diffused light, even if you consider bouncing your onboard flash, you wouldn't be happy with the power/direction/diffusing/control/etc. and would invest in a speedlite for off-camera work.

...but judging by the existence of the Light Scoop I suppose that's not really the case! :confused:

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 22, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

squidflakes posted:

But that's an Adobe business card...

...damnit. :doh:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I maintain that the Olympus Stylus series is the ultimate party camera. Waterproof, shockproof, basically idiotproof, I regularly just leave it lying around at parties and just see what people do with it the next morning. Plus, taking pictures from inside a glass of beer is a fun gimmick.

On the flip side, it's not a serious contender for making outstanding images. It's fine for a party camera/take anywhere P&S, but there are no manual controls. But I love mine!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Although it's not necessary, I find a beer or two loosens me up nicely when doing street/candid photography.

At first I read that as "street/child photography" and got really creeped out. "Hey kid, want a beer? I'll take your picture!"

I hang out with photographer friends pretty frequently, and something that I've noticed that cracks me up is how much they're like lots of people in that they hate having their picture taken. Considering we're a group of people that spends lots of time photographing other people, you'd think we'd be secure/trusting enough to get over it. What I'm getting at is, maybe ya'll could do some portraits of each other. :)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

psylent posted:

I shot a charity event today and now that I'm in post, I'm very glad everyone was wearing a nice white nametag. It's really helping sort out my white balance issues :cool:

And effortless cutlines! You bastard!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
A workshop thread could be really useful, I say go for it. I'm skeptical of workshops in general as well, but I've attended one really useful one myself, and I know there are other worthwhile ones out there as well!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

orange lime posted:

You could probably go to the theater department of your school and beg/steal some scrap gels from their lights. As long as you get ones that aren't scratched/punctured/melted you should be fine. Just hold them in front of the lens.

This is a good idea that I meant to share a while ago. My buddy used to tech for our university's theater, and they had enormous rings of "sample" gels from companies that just happen to be the perfect size to fit a speedlite that he was more than happy to give away.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

spog posted:

And to add to this: LR is incredibly forgiving of your moving your photos around. You can move all the folders to a different driver letter, inside a different subfolder sand it literally takes about 5 clicks for LR to cotton on and sort it all out.

Compare this to iTunes where simply changing the driver letter required about 4 hours of farting around, editing xml files, using undocumented commands and still losing stuff.

This is actually an excellent comparison and, silly as it is, probably enough to get me using Lightroom to start catalogging my poo poo. I had a horrible iTunes experience a year or two ago and now I have multiple copies of all of my songs in different locations, with dead listings in iTunes and it's just a mess. I was worried that switching between different externals might cause the same problem with Lightroom, but I guess Adobe got their poo poo together better than Apple on that front. Thanks.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've used Target's 1-hour (not instant) photo processing for 5x7 prints a few times before, and while I wasn't blown away, they were more than acceptable for what I needed. Certainly better than a home inkjet, and shockingly cheap.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Figure out your exact situation yourself, with the power of math!

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Not a tripod, but I've flown with a monopod a few times, and they only notable reaction I've ever gotten was one TSA photo nerd who wanted to chat gear and all I wanted to do was get on my plane and sleep because it had been a really long week okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Extenders provide a lot of flexibility for sports shooters as well. If you've got a 70-200, 300/400, and 1.4x and/or 2x extender, you've suddenly got a LOT of options for focal length with only two lenses/bodies.