Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've had good luck with SanDisk's RescuePro software in the past, which isn't free, but I do have a couple codes for free copies at home. If you can wait 'til Sunday when I'm back home I'd be happy to hook it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I used to be the type that frowned upon any sort of post processing as not "real" or genuine or whatever, but that's definitely not the case anymore, and after reading a few comments, it's definitely thanks to looking at lots more photos and developing a visual literacy, as well as increased practice working on my own photos.

I still don't often do much more than crop/levels/dodge/burn/sharpen, but even with just those light tweaks I can make images really pop nicely that otherwise wouldn't have straight out of camera.

Totally corny and cliche, but it's Ansel Adams so gently caress it: "The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways."

Alternately: "Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I guess this is the right thread for this, but if you've got a better suggestion I'll happily move it. Seems like most of the same posters frequent the same megathreads regardless. Here goes...

Hey folks, I'm having a strange problem. I began using a new external hard drive a few weeks ago while swapping photos around between a few devices. Everything was working fine, both storing and retrieving, but now one of the folders throws the following error when I try to access it:

The disk in drive G is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

Obviously I've selected no, because I don't want to lose the data. I get the same error after restarting the computer, using any USB port, and after testing on a different computer.

The drive: Verbatim
The computer: Sony Vaio, Windows XP

I initially formatted the drive on this computer before storing anything on it. All of the other folders operate normally, only the one specific directory throws the formatting error.

In Googling around, I found lots of instances of entire drives or partitions becoming corrupted, which makes more sense to me, but nothing about a specific directory like this.

Anybody know what's going on, or how I might be able to fix it, or at least recover the photos from that folder? I've used RescuePRO before to recover from CF cards, but it's not helpful recovering from a hard drive.

Sorry for the word vomit, just wanted to make sure I was thorough in my explanation. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I posted the question in SH/SC simultaneously, and the issue was resolved! Hurray!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ :argh: Mine's got extra special director's cut never-before-seen posting though!

Roger! The thread's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372211

Alereon posted:

Try running CHKDSK on the drive. Go to start, run, enter "cmd" and press enter, enter the command "CHKDSK E: /F /V" (replace E: with the drive letter of the external drive). This will check and fix the filesystem on the drive, but can't fix the problem if the drive is actually dying.

That produced a bunch of lines informing me about recovered orphans or something, and then I could access the directory just fine again.

I was then advised to run Crystal Disk Info to read the health data of the drive, which comes up as "Caution," so it may just be a lovely drive out of the box. It was a freebie, maybe for a reason.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I use Carbonite, and it's been good to me. I recently just added a new hard drive, I copied everything over and it essentially just picked up where it left of after I reinstalled everything. I was freaking out about it at first because I thought I would have to re up everything.

So I just installed the Carbonite free trial with the intention of buying if everything went smoothly, but I'm finding I can't use Carbonite on either of my external drives, which makes it pretty worthless for me, or at least a major pain in the rear end to back everything up. Am I missing something?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

evil_bunnY posted:

You have to be real loving careful when deleting links so as to not delete the contents of target.

...and that's enough to scare me away, haha. I'll check out some of these other online options.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Also, at the same aperture (say, f/2.8) the background will be more out of focus at 200mm than 50mm, if that's an effect you're going for.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

GWBBQ posted:

FYI if you use an inkjet the moisture will ruin that corner of the print.

Ruin? Or creatively enhance? The artist has just personally, uniquely identified that print as a genuine one-of-a-kind masterpiece!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ExecuDork posted:

You make some good points, and I'm not trying to call you or anybody else out here, but "Everyone here owns thousands of dollars worth of cameras and lenses" is not true. I've spent about $1000 total for my DSLR, my lenses, and all of the accessories I've accumulated so far. Everything, with the sole exception of a holster-type bag, has been second hand, mainly from ebay. This has wrecked my already pathetic budget, but I did it because I really enjoy photography. It's a hobby to me, and will never be my day-job; it's unlikely I'll ever get paid to take a picture.

Lots of people get paid, and paid well, to do this, and that's fantastic - enjoying one's job is a wonderful thing. This is why we have a photo-business thread, right? But not every shutterbug goes on to professional status, or even makes a few bucks here and there to help cover expenses. I'd like to be able to spend thousands and buy really top-of-the-line stuff, but it's not going to happen.

For what it's worth, brad may have thought this was the business thread, I definitely got mixed up myself throughout this discussion. It was business advice and for the business crowd those assumptions are perfectly reasonable.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
These? Love this series! http://www.v1gallery.com/artist/show/3

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah I don't know about Nikon, but on Canon, some of the newer L lenses not only have an option between IS on/off, but also a choice between two different types of IS, one of which is designed to assist only in the horizontal axis, so for panning. No clue how effective it is practically, as I'm terrible at panning regardless.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

xzzy posted:

It helps with vertical shakes.

You really don't want horizontal IS when doing panning, because the lens will try to compensate for your panning motion, making your picture a horrible disaster.

Durr, thanks. That's what I meant, just used backwards terms. :downs:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

TheLastManStanding posted:

http://www.dickblick.com

What an unfortunately named web site...

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

aricoarena posted:

My CF card died on the second to last day of vacation and causes a "Card Error" message to appear. Everything I put it in just wants to reformat the card. Are there any free programs for trying to save the pictures that were on it?

Shoot me an e-mail, I've got a code for a license of SanDisk's RescuePro software you can use. It's worked well for me in the past.

ryan@ryanmkelly.com

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah hotshoe flashes get really, deceptively hot, very quickly. Be careful burning paper, or even your skin.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Rurutia posted:

:neckbeard:

Thank-you!

Be gentle and take your time, though. Maybe I just have sausagefingers, but I busted the poo poo out of the front ring on mine attempting that.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Those are incredibly creepy, yikes.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Photoshop batch resizes with some options too, no clue how speedy it is compared to others though.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

spf3million posted:

I think you would have to load all of them into PS before batch resizing them (which could suck depending on how many we're talking about).

Nah, File > Scripts > Image Processor

(This is CS4)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Paragon8 posted:

However it is important to understand why they are rules and when you break them, you do it with purpose.

This is an excellent point that I try to impart to people. Rather than simply thinking of the rule of thirds as a grid to be followed, you should understand what the "rule" is trying to get you to accomplish, and why it is effective and appealing. That way you can follow it or break it as you see fit, while intentionally composing your image successfully.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ Better specific advice right there.

anabatica posted:

Anyone got some tips on shooting fireworks?

Tripod, long exposure, lots of attempts, lots of frustration. Remote shutter release if you can to avoid shake. Try and frame something interesting in the foreground beyond just fireworks in the sky.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I feel like I'm in the minority in the dorkroom, but I rarely shoot RAW. Shooting JPG, I usually set white balance to one of the presets when it's obvious and consistent, but if I'm in mixed or frequently changing lighting, then I'll take my chances with AWB. It's usually good enough for what I need.

That being said, if you're in a situation where you have time and control on your side, might as well get it right in camera. Or shoot RAW and know it doesn't matter.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shot in the dark: anybody have any aerial photography experience? Just found out the local university is sending me up in a helicopter Friday morning to get some campus shots. This is costing them a lot of money to make happen so I'd like dearly not to gently caress up.

I'm planning on shooting with a 16-35 on a 1DmkIII and a 70-200 on a 7D to cover both wide and tight. I imagine I'll need to take off hoods and get lenses right up on windows to reduce glare.

Beyond that, I got nothin'. Any hints?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Can you roll down the window?

You know I actually thought about that, but I won't know for sure 'til I'm there. I doubt it, but I don't really know for sure.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ExecuDork posted:

Excellent :words:

Helicopter Window and the Dome by Execudork, on Flickr

Thanks so much! As of now I'm supposed to be the only one going up for my trip, but it wouldn't surprise me if that changes at the last minute. I've been up in a helicopter before and haven't had any airsickness issues, so I'm not too worried about that, but I'll stick a plastic bag in my pocket just in case.

Anything particular I can do to fight vibrations? Higher shutter speeds I assume. Maybe some trick to bracing the camera?

e: If it's an aircraft model you mentioned, how much space can I expect to have? I don't imagine much. I'm assuming I should go up without a bag... I'm thinking just the two bodies/lenses, with extra cards, a dark rag and barf bag stuck in pockets, and a bunch of gaffers tape wrapped around lens hoods.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 5, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Danoss posted:

Lens Skirt is designed to do exactly what you're after in cutting reflections off the glass/perspex.

It's a neat design that could easily be ripped off and made into a basic DIY project. Though $49 isn't bad for the sake of convenience and lack of effort.

xzzy posted:

It almost looks like you remake it using a crown royal bag and some blu-tack. :colbert:

This just gives me an excuse to visit the ABC this afternoon for a black bag. My Cinco de Mayo plans thank you.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Shmoogy posted:

e: And if you don't want it after the trip, you can sell it for a pretty minimal loss because of how hard they are to get right now.

Then how's he supposed to get one for himself? :v:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This isn't a photography question specifically, but it still seems appropriate:

There has GOT to be a simple way of doing this, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how.

For assignments at locations where I don't have wifi access, I'd like to be able to transfer a handful of images, 10 at the most, from my Macbook Pro to my iPhone 5 in order to e-mail them into my editor. I'd prefer to do this via Bluetooth, but if that's not an option, then I'd be fine plugging the phone into the computer.

iPhoto only seems to want to transfer photos from the phone to the computer, not vice versa. The Photo Transfer App requires both devices to be on the same wifi network. Using the Bluetooth > Send File option, I get a "The device does not have the necessary services" error.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Rather than trying to transfer the photos to the iPhone just to email them, I'd be more interesting in just sharing the iPhone's data connection with your laptop and emailing them directly. Is your iPhone 5 on a plan that includes tethering? Both AT&T and Verizon's new plans include it automatically.

Yeah that would be simpler, I didn't realize Verizon's new plan included that without an extra fee. Awesome! I'll look into that, thanks.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

SoundMonkey posted:

I shoot JPEG almost all the time. Seriously, autism aside, it's not like shooting JPEG ruins photographs or something.

I agree, and I'm the same way, but I've all but given up trying to make this point, especially online. There's this weird mindset that seems to be if you don't shoot RAW you're a bumbling amateur who has irreversibly hosed up every photo you've taken.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That experience isn't necessary makes me think it's just your average entry level park position, same as a gift shop stocker or ticket taker. They're not looking for a photographer (or the associated cost), they're looking for a button-pusher on feet.

If you're okay with that, then go for it, but don't expect to have the freedom to make beautiful art on the clock.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mrenda posted:

Yeah, I understand that. I couldn't make beautiful art if I wanted to. This is mostly a sales position, as they want me to interview for it including a "three minutes sales pitch on a photo I took." I figure I'll use this as photography customer service experience. I'll get used to corralling people, extracting smiles from grumpy kids. If I can manage a summer of that I'll see where I go. And no matter what it'll kill time for me in the hopes the long term job market pics up.

Yeah, sounds about right, just didn't want you heading into that will false expectations. :) If you have even half the bizarre experiences I've heard about from similar jobs, you should definitely start a tumblr or twitter with horror stories, could be hilarious.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

TheJeffers posted:

Personally, I would use the longest practical focal length available to you for headshots. Long lenses distort people's faces in a flattering way. Considering that a face is the only thing a viewer is going to see in these pictures, you want it to look the best it possibly can. Try the 55-250 at the 250 end of the range and see if you like the results.

A visual demonstration of this

I'd agree with this, I usually start off with a 70-200 doing head shots, dropping down to a 50 only if we're shooting in a confined space that doesn't permit that length.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

SoundMonkey posted:

There is of course such a thing as too much, as I discovered when I pulled out the 200-400mm for comedy on a shoot. It did still look good, I just had to be like thirty feet away :v:

I had to shoot a volleyball team portrait once with all the kids walking down a road, side by side. I think it was 10-12 people. It had to be shot vertically because it was for a publication cover, and they wanted it shot with a 400mm for the compression. I must've ended up at least a quarter mile away for this goddamn photo, I had to direct via cell phone. It was ridiculous.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Squarespace can do all that too, except that I also don't know about tumblr integration. Worth looking into, should be in your price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Has there been any discussion about how Photoshop in its monthly subscription will handle not being connected to the Internet? At least once a month I'm in a situation where I have to edit on deadline with no Internet connection, and I wouldn't want Photoshop to refuse to run because it can't phone home and check if my subscription is current.