Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

Nah, XP. I did something a few months ago that I think just totally hosed my monitor settings and color profiles. I'm gonna try to print something tonight, god knows what it's going to look like. I'm tempted to just reinstall windows and start from scratch, but goddamnit do I not feel like going through the hassle.

Oh, and I just noticed: I posted this last night from my home pc, I'm looking at it now on my macbook pro. That guy's shirt was white at home, now it's definitely yellow. What do you guy see? I've got a big problem if there's that big of a discrepancy between my own two computers.

Definitely yellow. I'd go with "saturated cream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bob Socko posted:

I just tried to sell my Sigma 24-70m f/2.8 on eBay. Even though I listed it as a US-only auction, the winner asked me to ship the lens to the Ukraine (which I'm obviously not going to do). Is there any point in reiterating that I will not ship internationally in the item description, or am I going to have to deal with this every time I sell a lens on eBay?

Ugh, the best thing to do is notice before the person wins the auction. I think you can contact an eBay mod and they will remove that bid.

Otherwise, you just reiterate that you refuse to ship internationally.

Edit: Most people have the sense to "ask the seller" before bidding. I've only had it happen once out of hundreds of times to me, so take it as a rarity.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Although I probably wouldn't ship something worth that much to a former Soviet bloc country either, I've actually shipped a lot of stuff abroad without a problem. I'm selling through a massive stockpile of old large format film that has a lot of international interest for some reason, and I've gotten great results shipping to Canada, Russia, Norway, and Poland. I was bracing for the worst but it worked out.

No, I have too. The Nordic and Western Europe countries are usually safe. I ended up shipping a $500 P&S to Russia one time and that kind of soured it completely for me. It got messed up during shipping and the bidder didn't read my description of the camera. He got upset, opened a case against me; Paypal did some kind of down-the-middle ruling. Weird thing is though, no money was taken from me and I still haven't seen that camera a year later.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

thumbsmcgraw posted:

What's the tradeoff (I'm assuming there is one) of using higher ISO values in your pictures? I've been trying to get faster shutter speeds by upping the ISO to compensate for a lack of tripod in certain shots, and I'm wondering if I handicapped my image quality in any way.

Read this, it's got some good pictures too: http://digital-photography-school.com/photography-1017-iso

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Photomatix Pro 3. Be really really light on the HDR if you're gonna do it, though.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Stupid question, but it's always been nagging me.

Is there anyway to get lower than ISO200 on my 40D without going out of a manual setting? I can only get 200 in manual/priorities, but if I throw the camera into Portrait mode it can do 100. Anyway I can bypass this?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

torgeaux posted:

This is odd. ISO 100 is the base ISO, available in everything but some autoiso situations. If you can't set it to 100, there's a problem. Did you buy it used? Take a look at the manual. Manual

I can't get below 200 in Manual or Priorities. Only in the C1, C2. C3 modes I can set it at 100.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopinmymouth posted:

You have on highlight tone priority. REad the manual. It's limited to 200 ISO when that's enabled.

:doh: thanks!

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm pretty much a complete newbie, so forgive the potentially really lame question that follows.

What kind of camera is needed to take those really cool night time cityscape photos? This is an example of what I'm talking about. Is that anything special? Or can it be done with a pretty much anything?

Tripod and a long shutter speed. Most cameras can do this decently, you just need to avoid shake as the camera takes light in, so, yeah, tripod.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

brad industry posted:

long

I follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter and I don't see the big deal outside his commercial shots, which I'm convinced most people could do given his manpower and payroll. I think he's more a businessman than photographer.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just keep at it, the more you take at it the more good photos you'll get.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
On that note, where can I get the latest DPP? It's hell to find anymore and I think I have a pretty old version.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Download Canon's RAW codec? I can open my RAWS in regular old Microsoft Picture Viewer just like any other image.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Personally, I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. Even if you are overdressed, you appear more "official" :shobon:

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Are there any general tips on getting focus right when shooting couples? I'm having difficulty trying to think of how I'd get both sets of eyes in focus. Am I overthinking the general rule of portraits should be extended for two people?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That's what I figured, thanks! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fronkpies posted:

Let me just say, designing even the simplest website with no prior knowledge of html/css/flash or any coding is destroying my brain.

4 days and this is what I have, 4 loving days.

https://www.christopherineson.com

When it finally does get finished i WILL be proud.

What font are you using for your name?