Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
The club shot with swirly lights is becoming really overused and stale. I still do it at parties every once and awhile because it's unpredictable and fun, but it's basically easy to do technically so everyone does it. I couldn't think of pro examples, but poster Already Bored has some good work lately doing night life in a different direction.

Not discouraging you A5h, just saying a thing that needs to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Pardon my noobness, but what exactly is considered a fast prime?

Prime means a fixed lens, generally has higher optical quality.

Fast means a low f stop number (bigger whole) to let in more light- thus letting you use a "fast" shutterspeed.

Fast Primes are usually something like the 50mm 1.8

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

The Wensey posted:

I'm having some problems with star trails. I'm using a D50 with a 30 second exposure, f/3.5, manual focus, long exposure NR turned OFF. I roll with a ghetto setup involving duct tape and a coin keeping the shutter held down, and I'm quite sure it doesn't slip off or anything like that. Battery is fully charged. Shooting JPG fine, not RAW. At first, it shoots continuously- one shot starts right after the other. After a while, however, it starts taking its sweet time in between shots, ending up with my picture looking like this:

When it slows down, I look through the viewfinder and the light meter is blinking, the AF area diagram thing and the dot next to it is blinking (even though I'm on manual?), and the flash icon is blinking. No idea what this means.

I understand that continuous shooting only works until the buffer fills, but with 30 whole seconds in between data writes, shouldn't it keep on going?

What is going on?!

I'm going to try and help you, hold on here.

Interrupting Moss posted:

Just buy the drat IR remote for the D50. It's cheap and works with the bulb setting. I've done long exposures in the manner you describe with a D50 using RAW and didn't have the same problem.

Start with this. There is no reason to be taping a coin to your shutter, that introduces too much variable (there is DIY, and there is ghetto). The official Nikon remote is like $15, or you can try programing a universal TV remote (google it).

I'm going to bet your tape isn't holding down the coin all the way, and half pressing the shutter. A quick test with my D50 shows that the AF diagram and the green dot next to it blink when it can't focus lock onto something- the green dot is the focus confirm that stays solid when you are in focus. If you half press and it can't lock on focus, they both light up and blink like you are describing.

Also a possible problem, is your top dial can be on "M" and the auto focus switch next the the lens can be on "M". Put both of them in this mode, and it will take a picture whenever you press the shutter regardless of focus lock.

/nerd

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

fronkpies posted:

does anyone know where that required reading list went? i cant remember who posted it or in what thread, but i cant find it anywhere.

Perhaps it was the reading list posted by the A Photo Student blog?

http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

nerdz posted:

What's the deal with Ken Rockwell? I know that almost every photo hardware related google search leads to his site and it seems like he is universally hated around here. Why?

Here is the secret- Ken Rockwell is a huge troll. He says a couple reasonable things, then a bunch of outrageous things. He has been around since the dawn of internet pixel peeping, so he gets great search results- which means he makes bank off of site hits and referrals. He does poo poo to make everyone get pissy and link to back to the silly things he says. There was an old page on a former version (or current, who knows!) of his site that basically said this much and it is all a huge joke.