Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Happened sometime around this time last year (I think) but who knows when it will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hop Pocket posted:

So I've just ordered quite a few prints at various sizes (8x10, 8x12, 11x14, etc) and I am interested in finding a relatively cheap way of ordering some basic, decent frames that aren't complete poo poo. I don't like to have a lot of decor on my frames. Mostly just a wooden black frame maybe with a neutral mat. Any recommendations on a good place to order these online?

Not sure what shipping would be like on frames, you may want to check out any art stores you have locally. I have one that is like an art supply store that has decent basic frames for a reasonable price.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I head you should just try to expose correctly so you do not have to make any adjustments in post should I stop trying to do this?

Edit: more serious if you are really that worried and it is a static or slow moving scene/subject bracket you exposures, the joy of digital is you can take as many photos as you want.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

poopinmymouth posted:

While on this subject. When you guys calibrate, do you leave on the room lights that will normally be on when working? or turn them all off and let it calibrate in a dark room?

I know it's not supposed to let much light in, but I'm wondering if a significant amount can bleed through, and if yes, if it's desirable since you'll always have it present.

With my huey pro it has a light sensor that takes room light into consideration, not sure how much it does but I have it to auto adjust all the time and I notice the brightness changes depending on the room light.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ric posted:

Is it possible to merge Lightroom catalogues? I've processed a few sets recently on a different computer and I'd like to add them with changes to my main catalogue.

I think you can import photos from a catalog but not 100% sure.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

brad industry posted:

I dunno if you're on a Mac but I use SuperDuper to do this.

For PC there is synctoy which I use.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

The new 24mm is a good start (Now a 35mm please), but the new wide zoom being f/4 is just retarded.

I first thought that too but it does make sense, you get VR so that helps a bit but often wide angles are used for landscapes where you will be stopping down anyways. This lens will probably be a pretty big hit with people who hike etc. Remember there is always the 14-24 2.8. f4 also lets them keep the cost down.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cyberbob posted:

Playing around with tonemapping on an old throwaway shot of mine.

Too much?

old
new

Generally I can't stand the HDR look these days, but if it brings out some awesome detail without looking too artificial, then it's OK :)

Blend the 2 (or more) exposures yourself, it will look much much better.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not sure about lightroom but it is pretty easy to set up an action that would do that in photoshop which you could then run as a batch.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I may be imagining things but was there not a recall to fix an issue where the mirror could fall out, sounds like this may be the issue or your shutter has failed?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
What body do you use, is it possible you changed it to 14bit RAW?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Alvination posted:

On a certain CF card I have, if I upload a set of pics to Lightroom, the last pic is corrupted somehow. Either it looks like:

Or it just says an unexpected end of file error has occurred and I can't edit that photo. So outside of formatting the card, since I've done it and it keeps having the same results, do I just trash the card?

I had this same issue and it was not the card but something in the transfer was screwing up.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cross_ posted:

I posted this in the post-processing thread, but did not get a response. Let's try it here with some more background info. Here's a screencap of an sRGB JPG exported from Lightroom :

The colors are accurate in LR3, CS3, MS Photo Viewer, and in Fast Picture Viewer. They are off when viewed in all other applications. The cause for this discrepancy is that most applications simply send the image to the Windows color management system which sends it straight to the monitor. Adobe on the other hand specifically requests that the image be color corrected based on the monitor's ICC profile.

This becomes evident in the Fast Picture Viewer application which has a checkbox for "Default ICC" vs. "Specific ICC profile". When I pick my calibrated profile the preview matches LR3/CS3. With Default ICC the colors don't match.

I am using Win 7 64-bit and put my device profile in Control Panel/Color Management both as system default and for current user. Where else do I need to set it so that all CMS-aware appplications use that profile by default ?

Welcome to the world of colour management in windows, I had a real problem with this when I upgraded my monitor earlier in the year. Chrome does not support ICC colour profiles, FF only supports ICC V2, safari supports ICC v2 and ICC v4

Edit: photoshop, LR and windows photo viewer support both ICC v2 and v4. Let me know if this answered your questions I spent a fair bit of time trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
We have to keep an eye on our enemies...

Edit: I like to think that people here realize that Nikon and Canon both make very good gear regardless of what they personally use.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Look at photos you like and decide why you like them. Once you know why you like them you can work towards making photos that you like.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Haggins posted:

Update:

Had no problems with the tripod but I got busted by Mexican TSA for the tool kit which contained allen wrenches and a mini wrench. I just had them throw it out because I didn't want to check anything. At the time I was thinking it was going to cost $25 to check a bag but in retrospect I probably could have checked a bag for free anyway since it was an international flight. When I hit came back to the states in Miami, my last stop before flying home to Orlando, I had to check my duffle bag anyway or throw out my tequila.

I guess that's what happens when you book an international trip on a Saturday then fly out on a Monday. Oh well, I'm sure I can replace what was lost for $10 at home depot.

Strange about the tool kit, did they say why?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Isn't this just image stabilization but in reverse?

It used the gyroscopes to embed camera movement in the exif data. With that data they used software to counter act it which is pretty cool. If i remember they knew the software was not great but if the information was recorded that software down the road could do a much better job.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm trying to put together a photo book for a Christmas present and all the sites I've tried have fixed aspect ratios and just crop of the sides of any photo not in 8x10 ratio. The only fix I can think of is to add black borders to the shots to make them all 8x10 before uploading them, but this is a royal pain when working with 50-60 photos. Is anyone familiar with a way to do this as a batch edit?

You could do a batch job in Photoshop. Can you not just lay out the photos with blank space on each page instead of having put artificially putting black borders on them?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a mat cutter and I don't really use it (mostly because it is not big enough) but unless you are going to be doing a lot of matting I am not sure it is worth it (like buying a photo printer). I found a local art supply store that cuts custom mats for like 2 dollars on top of the cost of the mat. For this nominal cost I don't have to worry about screwing up and they probably do a much better job than I would. I also don't have to worry about having an area setup to cut mats etc. Just something to consider.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm guessing you bought the whole kit then. The kits limit you on the size you can cut and take up a bunch of room, which is why I suggested just buying just the bevel mat cutter, a straight edge, and just cut on some sacrificial mat board. That way they don't take up any room and you aren't limited on size. I've cut mats up to 36" wide this way.

Also free/cheap mat cutting places inflate their prices. Checking two online sites I came up with following prices;
Pictureframes.com - $4.15 / sqft for black
MatShop.com - $14.23 for a 20x24" ($3.33 / sqft)

I can get a 32x40" black matboard at blick for $6.21, which comes out to less than $1 per sqft.

That is actually the exact cutter I have, it came as part of a kit I was given though. I had problems trying to use a larger straight edge and keeping the straight edge in one place. I should probably give it another go but for the time being I dont really have the need.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kiri koli posted:

I'm in the middle of acquiring a 50mm f1.8 from craigslist and the guy said that he has a UV filter on it. On the advice of everyone here I'll be removing the filter, but since I'll have it anyway, are there any situations were it might come in handy? I'm sure it's cheap as hell.

Poor weather/environmental conditions such as a sand storm, heavy dust, maybe snow/rain. There are times they are a good idea but are not needed all the time or everyday use.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Paragon8 posted:

The super telephotos don't need a filter.

Mine actually has a "filter" built into the front, the manual says it may be removed in certain situations if you notice ghosting. I am guessing it is removable incase it breaks etc.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Paragon8 posted:

That's weird. Would it affect weather sealing?

I would guess it would, there is rubber around it. I have never removed or had a need to really. I am pretty sure it is solely there to protect the exotic glass behind it. I think the manual states it is for environmental protection and it is much cheaper to replace than the true front element.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
The longer the focal length the more the image subject is "compressed" I believe. I would imagine after a certain length that his effect would not as noticeable.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I may be wrong but I think PC sync is safe since no voltage is sent through it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MrBlandAverage posted:

It wouldn't be electrical if there weren't voltage! :science:

The issue is just that TTL hot-shoes have sensitive circuitry connected to them that can't handle higher voltages. The manual for the 5D2, at least, says its PC terminal can handle 250V. The PC sync circuit is no doubt much simpler and easier to make with components that can tolerate higher voltages.

I know an electrical signal is sent through it but I did not think any large voltages where.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

robertdx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm guessing graph paper is going to be the best way to go. I'd prefer to use the originals, and I'd prefer to capture it in a single shot (although it does seem like composting everything together would be easier). Going to go to the office supply store today to look at different colored background or matte paper, but I'd also prefer to keep the main background white to match with other shots in the series. White on white, this is a pain in the rear end but at least I am trying to push myself. If I could get tiny squares of off color paper to put behind each card that might help isolate them from the background, but then I'd worry about individually cutting each to be the same size. My other thought was to place a small coin or something under each card, so that they come up off the background a little bit and cause more of a shadow to drop behind them. I dunno, I'll keep you updated.

This is part of a series for the 25th anniversary of my diagnosis with diabetes. It's not really great but some stuff is turning out better than others.

http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186523811_zbWeU-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1186962094_JbZbR-M.jpg
http://gallery.rjbphoto.com/photos/1187487339_8GsuT-M.jpg

Keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing and it's still a work in progress, I have about half a month to finish before the actual anniversary date. I know the deadpan shots of stuff on white background is probably overdone, but gently caress it I like the way it looks.

You should start a project thread, pretty interesting idea and some of the shots look pretty cool.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Link to the desktop uploader for flickr: http://www.flickr.com/tools/

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

tijag posted:

I'm trying to get some images printed, but unfortunately they don't 'fit' on a 5x7 or 8x10 without having to be cropped. Snapfish doesn't allow me to say 'keep the aspect ratio' or something like that so that I get my whole image. How do I get around this. Is there a better printing solution than Snapfish?

Most cameras will have a 3:2 ratio, so unless you are printing 4x6, or 8x12 etc you are going to have to crop. If you really want to have the full image on there you could always add some white/black filler on certain edges to make it fit the sizes you want.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FFS thanks to Adobe for not hosting any installer on their servers apart from the current versions. Bought a digital download of Photoshop CS5 and CS6 has been released? gently caress you if you need to reinstall.

Anyone have the Photoshop CS5 Windows installer they can sling in a dropbox folder or ftp share while I grab it?

That seems beyond stupid. Have you contacted support? I thought they tied stuff to your adobe ID now, have you tried logging into your account? If that all fails I am sure there are "other" places that you can get an installer from.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

1. How do I get rid of shots like this, where everything close to the sky is overexposed?

I suppose I could try HDR, but that's not always possible. Maybe there is no solution. I currently have a Canon EOS 500D/ EOS Rebel T1i which does not feature the new HDR Backlight Control of the new EOS 650/ Rebel T4i.

Does anyone have the new Canon and could tell me how useful this feature really is (and its usefulness without a tripod)? Thank you so much.

2. On a recent trip I was constantly switching between the Canon 55-250 IS and the 18-55 (I think) Kit lens (I'm on a budget). This was tiresome and I found this on Amazon: Sigma 18-250 mm F3,5-6,3 DC OS HSM. Would buying this be a good idea? Thanks again!

Probably the best solution to this is take a shot for the foreground/non sky portions of the photos and then one of the sky at the desired exposure and combine them in post. A ND filter will not me a huge help due to the "shape" of the sky.

Another possibly less practical solution would be to return when there are different lighting conditions.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

GoldenNugget posted:

So I want to do some more landscape photography. I do have a polarizer for bluer skies and cut down reflections. I've seen some wonderful photos taken with ND and GND filters. When should I use a polarizer and when should I use a ND filter? They can't be used together, especially a GND with polarizer, correct? The only reason for the ND from what I've seen is balanced sky and smooth water/waterfalls.

If I do invest in ND and GND filters, what set should I invest in that isn't overly expensive?

Optionally just get an ND filter. You can then shoot a frame for the sky and one for the foreground and then use a mask in post to duplicate what an ND filter does. This is what I do so I can avoid carrying around a bunch of filters. I Just have a cheapo screw in ND filter and it is not great but it works. If you are just wanting to experiment I would suggest getting something like a 77mm ND8 filter, you can usually find cheap ones. IF you really like use it then you can look into getting a nicer one or some GND filters.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

Aside from battery life, do I need to worry about anything if I'm doing super long exposures (~2 hours) in -20 to -40 C temperatures with my 7D?

I am not sure your battery will last that long. You may need to watch out for condensation on the lens etc. I don't really have much experience shooting in temperatures that cold. The one time I did I remember my battery life went from days to maybe hours or minutes.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

GoldenNugget posted:

Thanks guys! So it'd be probably better to stick with a polarizer for most daylight shooting and on special occasions like when I need a larger aperture for bokeh or smooth water I should switch to ND/GND?

Also, are there any good tutorials on how to do masking for a merging a light and dark exposure in either lightroom or photoshop? I have both but only really use lightroom to lighten up shadows or clone out some minor details I don't like.

And what is a good cheap tripod to get? I don't have $ for something like a gitzo.

Define cheap? Have a look in the tripod thread, it has some good info in it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390180

Unfortunately tripods are one of those things you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget I would try to find a used one if possible as tripods last for a long time.

Your ideas for using ND filters etc would be correct. Basically just use an ND filter if you want a longer exposure or to stop down more.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Interview with the photographer who shot the "bliss" photo for the XP wallpaper, kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVXY8OEZAEQ

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I got the Hoya NDx400 9 stop filter and I am pretty happy with it. And like others said you will need to focus/compose before you attach the filter. Vignettes a bit at wider angles but not too badly (16mm on FF). Also used it on @10mm on a crop and was a bit worse but not awful for vignetting.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

triplexpac posted:

So I'm trying to free up space on my computer. I have tons of images saved in RAW format in Lightroom, and I'd like to just convert them all into JPG to save space. I've already retouched the ones I'd want, so I can't imagine being too sad about losing all the outtakes raw files.

Is there a way to do this easily? I'm guessing I would just highlight all the old photos, batch export them to high-rez jpegs, delete the files from my library and re-add the new ones? Or is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

Storage is stupidly cheap these days, unless the photos are really bad I would probably just get some more storage. If you don't want to do that I guess you could export them from LR and then re-add the photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
If there is no fog/mist when you are there hand out a bunch of juuls to teens and get them to create a big cloud then you should be able to get some cool "god rays".