Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The visual demonstration of how focal length affects composition and faces is nice

The OG of posing, Joe Zeltsman

Online DOF calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

unrated: technical error/worthless
1 star: not bad technically
2 star: good technically, worth keeping around just in case
3 star: decent photo, sellable
4 star: great photo
5 star: the shot for the whole shoot

i'll flag images that go in the porfolio

I color things for further editing.

I import everything straight from the card reader through LR. Make what adjustments are necessary. I then edit anything in Photoshop that needs it. PS is then used for composites and the like.

I use ACDSee when I'm shooting jpeg, meaning a football game. After I'm done tagging and editing in ACDsee I import to LR for general management purposes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What does anyone think is the best (Windows based) program for tagging massive amounts of flickr images? I have a bunch of images that have little or no tags and I'd like to fix this as easily as possible without having to look at each image and adding many blanket tags and individual tags.

I'd like to select a wide group of images and tag them all with the same thing, then go through each and tag them with specifics.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

When I'm shooting with a B&W conversion in mind, I shoot in RAW but set my camera to B&W. The JPEG preview is then rendered in black and white on my preview screen, but the file still has all the color information for the B&W conversion that I handle myself, or just in case I want a color print.

Regardless of if you want to do that, shoot color and do the B&W in post. As for help in composing explicitly for B&W, start thinking about tones instead of colors (unless you want to start using filters, which you don't right now) along with your normal composition considerations. Read this introduction to the zone system and digital photography.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

shoot type 55 with a camera made from locally grown timber and glass you ground yourself :smug:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Z posted:

I'm quoting this like five pages later just to say that I tried to watch one of his critique videos and literally had to shut it off after about a minute.

What a terribly mediocre photographer.

Oh, and his wife sounds like a bitch.
Arias is a great example of what an average photographer can do with great business sense. His stuff isn't award winning, but it's largely good and consistent, well-marketed, and simple.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

JaundiceDave posted:

I like Chase Jarvis, because while he may be a bit of a ponce, he can still pull of some amazing creative work from time to time, like that ski shot he did with the strobes firing 8 times per second.
I really didn't think that was too impressive. It's not nearly as difficult as he made it seem. The video was all about showing off that he had lots of equipment and was a cool guy; I felt like it was more about marketing his seminars more than anything else.

Seminars a big deals these days. Lots of people with fancy cameras who have no idea what to do with them. It's kind of scummy. Arias and Jarvis do decent work, but that's where they make their money.

Even Joe McNally does seminars.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Just buy the drat IR remote for the D50. It's cheap and works with the bulb setting. I've done long exposures in the manner you describe with a D50 using RAW and didn't have the same problem.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You guys are kind of talking about this, so:

I'm trying to install an .icc profile on Vista 64 and getting a weird error. Anyone know what this is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I have a core2 duo 3.16Ghz with 8GB of RAM, I can't complain at all.

Are you using the 64-bit version?

Does LR utilize the GPU much? If so, maybe look at that?

e: I've never changed any of the thumbnail/preview settings, so that's not it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

Aperture locks up your metadata and rating and poo poo in it's proprietary database so you should use LR.

Haggins posted:

I thought about switching back to LR but it'd be a lot easier to stick with the horse I got than trying to relearn everything.
QED

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What lies in the shadow of the RAW file

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

hey peoples looking for schooling. I found this http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/ its a college class that is also a podcast for freezies. I've listened to the first three clases from Fall 09 to make sure its not terrible. I've been learning alot so far because I have zero knowledge of the history of art or photography. The professor seems to be pretty organized and is an easy listen. It feels very much like a typical survey intro course, so his jokes tend to be pretty cheesy.
This is really interesting. I only took one photo class in school and it was pathetic all around. Before about two years ago I couldn't even name one photographer other than Ansel Adams. I've become more more interested in history, am beginning to dip my toe into theory, and this course is really great. I'm learning a lot of stuff that I've felt I should know for a while now.

I'm greatly considering going back to school in two to three years, and I plan on soaking up stuff like this and the big batch of reading material posted earlier to get me back into the right frame of mind.

Thank you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Penpal posted:

Ah! I just switched to google chrome and all my pictures look dark and lovely.

What gives? I read about browser colour profiles and everything before, but everything looks like it did on my desktop in Firefox.
The official answer is that Chrome does not read color space information from JPG images.

There are several things you can do to make it look right on YOUR combination of monitor, OS, and browser (exporting from PS with embedded RGB colorspaces, editing in the correct color space, calibrating your monitor, etc.), and you should definitely do so because it's important when it comes to printing and clients. But, I would just let go of trying to make your images look perfect everywhere. You'll never control the viewer's crappy Acer LCD screen and Internet Explorer with Ask! toolbar, even if their setting was using the correct color space.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The big fancy Apple tablet or whatever is supposedly released tomorrow. I'm interested. It would be amazing to use while shooting to let clients easily proof images right as I'm shooting them. Is there some sort of solution (from any camera manufacturer or any other software house) that would let my camera send images via Eye-fi card or a dedicated wi-fi unit straight to a device like that? Even better (and dreaming now) one that would only send the JPGs?

I know the chances are virtually nil, but it would be FANTASTIC to do something like that.

e: or jesus imagine being able to check histograms and stuff on that huge screen with touchscreen controls uuuuuuunf

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 26, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Does anyone have health insurance through ASMP? Do any of the programs they offer have good rates?

It seems you have to log in to find out more information. I know an ASMP membership is great for me to have, but my budget is reeeeeally tight until April, so I can't purchase a membership anytime soon.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

psylent posted:

Can anyone explain how Joey L is so successful at such a young age? It boggles my mind.

He is a great photographer, but he must have had some connections to get where he is so quickly.
Used a trust-fund to travel and meet with photographers and buy a ton of free time/equipment/publicity.

I'd say he made a great use of whatever money was left to him, he's only improving.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A good way to figure out what themes, elements, styles are interesting or meaningful to you is to see what others have done. Read about photo history.

Also, hahhahah holy poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Nausea posted:

There are lots of words here, sorry. But i'm in need of a bit of advice.

I'm passionate about photography, but unsure as to what my next step about it should be.
Get a degree in business, learn that part; the photography/composition part can be learned outside of school or you can take some useful photo related courses along with the business curricula.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

There are five companies pushing their presumably "unlimited space/bandwidth but not so unlimited CPU power" web services in SA Mart. I'm moving away from smugmug and hosting my own site, just need something basic that will also handle perl.

Does anyone use these to host their personal websites? Any experience with downtime?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Host Gator doesn't sound like a company I want to do business with. prgmr does, but I don't have that level of Unix experience. I have the site ready to go, I just need to upload it and set name servers, etc.

e: it sounds like I would have to set up apache and the like if I used prgmr. It's been nearly ten years since I touched any of that, and if I were to need a large amount of control it would be to implement credit card payments and the like, but that's far in the future and I would pay someone to do that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 26, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Smugmug is poo poo and a pain in the rear end for web design. I'm not even sure I'll keep the print portion around after I migrate over to my own server.

Mediatemple looks to be my solution, thanks.

----

Does anyone have a link to the thread where woot fatigue explained his process?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 26, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What monitors that aren't AdobeRGB specific (and therefore fuckoff expensive) are used professionally these days? I have a Cinema Display that I love, but I want something that has more inputs and is HDCP compatible. I remember there were a few Dell monitors that were super cheap and still had H-IPS panels with lots of inputs and were around 24", but I'm clueless.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

e: this probably belongs in SH/SC

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 12, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

pages 424-426 were a lot of fun, thank you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It’s not strictly photography, but Josef Albers’ ‘Interaction of Color’ has educated artists better than anyone reading this forum for 50 years

Highly recommended

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A good book to understand exposure and how your camera works is Ansel Adams’ ‘The Camera’

All the principles are the same, but anytime he talks about exposing for shadows, imagine he’s talking about exposing for highlights.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

There's belt holster systems out there which I think might be the fastest way to do it.. but comes at the cost of looking like a mega dork.

The best I got is a backpack with a rear opening (eg, shimoda but they're far from the only option) so I can toss it on the ground and use the bag as a workstation to mess with gear. Any other approach is high stakes juggling that will someday result in smashing a lens on the ground.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rotation-series-backpacks/products/rotation-50l-backpack

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is silver efex still the plugin to use for b/w conversion

it's what i used to use, found it very powerful and roughly analogous (such that it can be) to darkroom work

the one thing i've never been able to replicate in lightroom is photoshop's ability to dodge/burn only highlights/midtones/shadows, but i've not farted around much with the newest lightroom, or this new silver efex

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anyone made a switch from lightroom to DxO photolab?

kinda sick of the subscription thing, and since i so rarely change cameras/lenses, if a piece of software works, it works. the way it handles RAW files, at least from an a7riv, is hands down superior. i print huge, so the noise/detail matters.

i haven't really found something it won't do. i use masks very infrequently, and photolab's dust spot tool is adequate. silver efex pro has been a go-to for a long time, as well. lightroom's catalog/metadata management is useless to me

...i guess i'm wondering, is there something i might be overlooking here

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i would highly recommend finding someone local so you can do test prints easily and see papers quickly

but if you just want something cheap and fast, i've used artisanhd.com. they have some decent options

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DxO is having a black friday/whatever sale, if you want to get out from under adobe's boot

If you don't need LR's library management and bulk processing tools, I've found DxO Photolab to offer superior image quality and noise control; like not even close. that's as a 15+ year LR user

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I figure I have this camera body, this computer, and neither are changing for a long time. May as well buy software that I like with both and be done with it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Use DxO photo lab

I used LR since it’s inception and got sick of the subscriptions last year. I was pleasantly surprised to find it handles RAW files much better than LR, at least those from my a7riv

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Interaction of color by Josef albers. The book that most modern artists learned color theory from. Read it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Lmao these are super terrible

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Lily Catts posted:

Understanding Exposure is pretty good because it's laser-focused on making you take correctly-exposed photos (a common thing newbies and even intermediate photographers struggle with). It's made for digital photography in mind and while imaging tech has vastly improved over the years it's still aged very well

I’d argue that adams’ book 2 ‘the negative’ is equally worthwhile. The zone system perfectly applies to digital photography, only highlights are the challenge, not shadows.

Really adams’ three books (the camera, the negative, the print) are all valuable.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Megabound posted:

Just shoot black and white, problem solved

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Koth posted:

What is the recommendation for non-subscription based photo editing software? I used Lightroom forever, but now I don't use it often enough to warrant the subscription fee. I'm not necessarily looking for free software. I don't mind buying it, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay a monthly subscription fee.

i made the switch to DxO Photolab 6 ~6 months ago. never looked back. i had used photoshop since its debut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It is always okay to make a photograph of anyone in a public setting, except other peoples’ children, cause that can get a little problematic

Whether or not anyone likes it is another question,