Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Anyone got tips on photographing fireflies? I went out tonight to try out my newly purchased cable release, wanting to do some long exposure shots. Then I noticed that there were quite a few fireflies around so I tried to photograph them but failed miserably. I had a 400D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and a tripod with me. The fireflies where just too small and did not emit enough light. After some quick reading on Google I will bring the 50 f1.8 tomorrow night and try a long exposure wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I'm guessing since you've set it to continous it just writes to buffer and nothing goes to the memory card, thus filling the buffer after a while. I really don't know though, but I really like the effect you got from it! Have you got a version with just trails and no tree?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Please excuse my silly n00b question. I want to view RAW files just like any other image files without having to open up heavy image editing software. I use Irfanview (which I quite like) and it can open RAW files fine but it is waaay to slow. Any other good image viewers? I just want it to be fast, not bloated and preferably free.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I downloaded the codec but it seems to do nothing. Even uninstalled Irfanview to let Windows Picture viewer or whatever it's called take over again but it says it's an unknown format or something. I have restarted my computer too. Running Win7 Pro if that helps.

Anyone else here using Irfanview? I've set it to load half size RAWs to speed it up a bit but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

VV - The codec page is just a bunch of links. Links to the same Canon codec I've already installed. And I don't want to install a program just to view raws, which I can already have but it takes like 10 seconds to load :( Thanks anyway though.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 14, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Yes, you got it right the second time. I just want a fast way to view them so I can show people a bunch of raws whenever. Unfortunately, my girly 400D only does RAW + highest quality jpg which would quickly eat up my memory cards :( I know I could batch convert those jpgs later but :effort:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
King Nothing: Don't worry about it. Depends entirely on what you're shooting and light conditions.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hey guys, what is this in my bokehs?

Dirt? If so, where?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
No, it's normal bokeh produced by a 70-200 f/4L @ f/8. Here's the whole pic if that helps:

So is it really dirt on the sensor that is ruining my bokehs? I know it's a crappy shot, was just playing around :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

TheFuglyStik posted:

I've had floaters in my right eye that look very similar since I had surgery on it. They look so close to the same thing it's freaking me out.

Cool, I saw the same things as a kid. Had to be under certain light conditions. Could get them to float around by blinking. Didn't want to write it though because people might think I'm crazy.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Phat_Albert posted:

Unfortunately the nifty fifty has no focus markings, so I guess I'll just have to eyeball it.

You'll see the difference in the viewfinder. You just need to turn it back a tiny, tiny bit, like 2mm.

spog: Temperature is also the reason I've heard for this feature.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I got a message on flickr from a guy running a "Czech news service" asking for permission to use some of my riot pics. Of course he can't offer any money so I'm thinking whatever, just let him use them, crediting me and a link to my flickr. Should I go ahead or is this a bad decision? His mail was very copy&pasty so I'm sure a bunch of other guys got the same message.

He's asking to use pics from some of these events:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/unrest_in_thailand.html
(mine are of course nowhere as good as those though)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Was just going to suggest what Martyoof wrote. Rent a wide-angle lens such as the Canon 10-22. Use your 50 for detail shots. An 85mm is a bit too long on your crop body. Since that wide-angle isn't the fastest lens in the world, you might want to bring a tripod too. Good luck!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

orange lime posted:

custom title

Haha, just noticed your custom title :) Did you get it from this subforum or somewhere else?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I ran out of power on my Eneloop batteries while on an assignment so I bought some generic Panasonic alkaline batteries just so I could use the flash. Seemed to work well. I left the batteries in the flash overnight and took it out of my bag just now. It was quite warm and the heat seems to come from the Panasonic batteries despite the flash being switched off. I took them out immediately and replaced them with my now charged Eneloops.

Did I just do some kind of terrible newbie mistake? I've used cheap disposable batteries before without any issues.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Phat_Albert: One quick and dirty way to do it would be to have the two exposures on separate layers, apply a layer mask on the top layer and use the gradient tool to blend in the background and then fine tune with brush tool.

I was going to write this in SAD but got lazy, but all the shots you posted could really use some perspective correction to make the buildings point straight up.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
:argh:

(yeah it's not perfect but I'm just showing what I mean)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Edit: sorry nevermind

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 30, 2011

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
What can I do to improve the contacts between flash and camera? I've tried cleaning with alcohol and eraser. It seemed to have helped for a short while but now it's back to normal. Sometimes it's just TTL, sometimes it won't fire, sometimes it's manual only, sometimes I can't even shoot :psyduck:

Flash: 430 EXII
Camera: Canon 5D

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Saint Fu posted:

It helps with reflections when you put the lens directly up against the plexi-glass. But yeah, airplane windows are awful. I do get some cool colors sometimes though:

_MG_0570 by spf3million, on Flickr

:respek:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hope this is the right place to post this: I'm going to have a few photos for sale in a gallery. The photos are of buildings and has a small "(Name) Estate" on the exterior. Should I remove this? I would prefer to leave it in as it looks pretty cool but would like to be on the safe side. However, these buildings are on the other side of the world and I'd say chances that anything would happen are extremely unlikely.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
http://www.worstroom.com/

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A photo magazine has contacted me and wants to use some of my shots for a feature. They say there is a fee depending on how my shots are used. Is that normal? They want me to pay them to use my shots? I thought it was the other way around :/

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 24, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
This is what they wrote: "There is a small fee, but this will depend on how we use your images on the page." Am I misunderstanding the word fee? English is not my mother tongue.

Edit: Should probably not name the mag but looks pretty legit.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hay guyz I'm in Amateur Photog magazine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

VelociBacon posted:

Great shot and congrats on the coverage. I'm really thinking about designing a flexible hood of sorts that mounts to your body and lens but allows you to manipulate it away from the camera a bit without light leaks (though I love the effect in your shot).

Thanks! I know a guy one flickr who's done just what you describe. Maybe you should get in touch with him. http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyoptic/sets/72157623565244753/