Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I guess it all depends (tm). I shoot a fair bit of jpeg, the reasons being not having to fuss with raw conversion, and the subject being exposed well enough and not needing the extra flexibility of a raw shot. And buffering when shooting fast can have an impact. My 50D will fill up the buffer with something like 15 raw files while it'll go seemingly endlessly when shooting in jpeg.

Wouldn't this be solved by using faster cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Penpal posted:

had to check to see if anyone else caught this, but the A550 wouldn't have this function because it's a point and shoot and not an SLR... Point and shoots don't have mirrors to lock up!

the more you know

but the timer suggestion was completely good

Are we talking about Sony Powershot A550, the P&S camera, or Sony Alpha 550 (A550, α550), the DSLR camera?

e: Whoops. :downs:

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 16, 2009

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

nonanone posted:

How many other people use back-button AF? I recently decided to permanently switch over, because I like the control more and it fits the way I shoot. I only know of one other photographer that actually does this though, so I'm curious about who else does.

Me, and I convinced my friend to switch, too. He even uses the same model as I do.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
stimpy, one small thing to also keep in mind is to make sure your dad is willing to haul a large camera with him again. P&S cameras are so attractive partly because they're almost always with you. Awesome gift, by the way.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The 35/1.8G should have a hood included in the box.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The few times I've traveled with a tripod I've had to check it in as an oversized piece of luggage, because I only travel with a carry on bag. The security guy said that it could be used as a weapon, so into the hold it went.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

So when someone says they want to buy a 50mm lens or 25mm lens or whatever, are they saying this primarily because they want that field of view provided by the lens, or is there some other consideration? Besides cost and physical aspects, as you highlighted. In this case, the speed of the lens is a compromise, right?

One fairly important part that's not been touched on yet is perspective. Wide angle lenses (short focal lengths) make nearby objects seem bigger and far away objects seem smaller, while telephoto lenses (long focal lengths) bring objects closer together, making the image seem flatter. Sometimes you want to stand a bajillion feet away because of the way perspective works with long lenses.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

joelcamefalling posted:

I have a telezoom related quandary.

Also, tripods? yay or nay? There is alot of sunsetting and landscapesing to be done.

Are you going on a honeymoon or a photo trip? The 55-250 sounds much more reasonable, you don't really want to carry the Bigma on 19 different flights. You'll want something small and light, but you will be kicking yourself if you don't have a tele. If you have a small and light tripod, bring that, and only if you're willing to spend time getting up at sunrise, and willing to miss awesome sunsets with her, while taking photos. (Also that's a crazy schedule, but let's not get into that.)

Is she into photography at all?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Auditore posted:

Rockin' my way through Singapore Airport on the way (and return from) to England next month and I was wondering if I can get gear cheap in duty-free shops there? Had a google and can't really find any information. I'm from NZ and for me the cheapest store (online) is DWI Digital followed by B & H. Even though shipping for each costs roughly around $100 gear from there is 2/3-1/2 the price of the same gear here in NZ. Will ye shops of Singapore Airport be equal or less than that of those stores I listed?

I've yet to see cheap or even decent prices at any airport, despite how much they advertise tax free. See if you can get into the city itself.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

adamarama posted:

How is the RAW processing in Lightroom compared to Elements? Lightroom 4 looks very comprehensive but I can't find much info on this in Elements, beyond the fact you have to download a RAW plugin.

Lightroom will get great results from RAW files, and help you manage your photos. You can try a 30-day free trial from the Adobe website, too. No real reason not to get it now that it's cheap, really.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

HPL posted:

With an angle finder you still have to get your face close to the ground.

But your back will be pleased. (Unless there's some other way to work with a tilting screen that doesn't involve twisting your torso into impossible positions.)

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

But, I know somewhere between little and nothing about copyright. Is there any chance of trouble between these two organisations if they both publish my photo? The Sierra Club said something about a coffee-table book, and CWS something about a newsletter.

Also, am I a bad photographer for giving away a photo for free?

You could still draw up a contract stating exactly how they can use the photo. Makes it safer for all parties, also stops them from trying to re-sell the photo.

Are you a bad photographer for giving it away for free? Yes. A bad person? Not necessarily. Are they making money using your picture? You should get paid. Are they a non-profit volunteer organization that helps out babies with cancer for no ulterior motivation? You might give the photo for free.

I've done some events this year for no pay (some travel costs recouped though), but it's for a non-profit volunteer organization. They're not making any money, so I don't feel as bad.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I just sold my DSLR stuff to move to mirrorless, but now there's a used Canon 1D III for 600€ in a nearby shop, and it's supremely tempting. It never stops, does it? :sigh:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Battery chat, are Eneloops the standard for flashes?

I'm thinking about picking up a set of 8, and even than still probably going to pack a backup set of regular AA's.

Been using Eneloops for about a year now, much better than the regular AAs I was using before.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

In theoretical terms, one bit is one stop. Each bit doubles the digital value range.

--edit: Also, who's this Ming Thein persona and why should I give a crap about what he has to say? I'm just wondering, because another forum is practically jacking off about his opinions?

He writes exactly like his background, which is in physics, cosmology and auditing. Technically very skilled and knowledgeable, I think, and a good reason to read up on the technical parts of the reviews. Of course, his photos mostly end up oversharpened and dull. Gear reviews tend to be good on the technical side, but all the articles about art can be safely skipped.

Which leads me to the next question: what are some more interesting blogs people read? I know this gets brought up every so often, but I always forget to bookmark stuff.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
What's your ACR version?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I just got offered 200€ to shoot behind-the-scenes still and video for a feature film. Ten days, plus edits, post work, and I have to provide my own gear. At least they were gracious enough to offer me some good experience and networking opportunities!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Supposedly fuji "opened up" their XF autofocus protocol, but I think that really means "mailed a copy of the spec to certain manufacturers, but only after they signed an NDA"

My understanding is that this is exactly what they did.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Gonna need some more details on your location.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I pay 10€/mo for WeTransfer, but you can't preview the files before downloading.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I've used the viewfinder perhaps twice since I bought my mirrorless, if it broke I probably wouldn't know

At this point I'm so set in my ways that not using the viewfinder just feels weird. Like how do I keep the body stable without proper support?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

3. Should I get specialized insurance for my gear or try to add it to my current special stuff policy? Or do most people just hope for the best at this level of $ investment? I'm guessing the answer to this one is "it depends" and varies wildly based on whether this is a hobby or job, or if you are rich (i'm not).

You should definitely shop around for insurance. Might be that your current insurance policies already cover your photography equipment, or you can add the equipment fairly cheaply. Even if it's just a hobby, it's worth spending some time seeing how much it costs.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It is always okay to make a photograph of anyone in a public setting, except other peoples’ children, cause that can get a little problematic

You really, really need to check the local laws on whether that's true or not.

e: Not necessarily you specifically, but whoever's out photographing people in a public setting.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
You're also supposed to buy 10 bundles of the same body + lens combo, test all of them to find the pair with the smallest manufacturing variations, and sell the rest at a loss on eBay.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

The newer cameras have gotten 1 billion new features since Nikon’s first 24mp FF sensor came out, but the sensors have not advanced leaps and bounds beyond what most people will use it for. You’ll even find people lamenting that the Z8/Z9 doesn’t have the same look as the D850, although some photographers just like to complain about anything.

The D850 is one of the best camera-sensor combos ever, so their position is not really that far fetched.

Some photographers of course still just like to complain about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

shoot complete trash with a very expensive pro camera.

stop doxxing me