Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Paragon8 posted:

The canon thread randomly has a lot of nikon users posting.

They're like missionaries: they're bringing the glory of Nikon to the savages. :smug:

I kid, I kid. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Dread Head posted:

We have to keep an eye on our enemies...

Edit: I like to think that people here realize that Nikon and Canon both make very good gear regardless of what they personally use.

Or you're like me and used both in the past.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this true at all? Why use film still?

At least with some of the classes I’ve seen, it’s a good way to put a limit on someone when they’re learning, i.e. you only get one roll of film and the photos on that roll are the only ones you submit for the assignment. It teaches students to think about what they’re taking while making them exercise their technical skill, and it prevents people from cheating where they spray and pray/chimp.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

cerious posted:

I guess while we're on the topic of scanners - anyone here use one of the Coolscan 8000/9000s for 35mm+120? I have an epson v850 and a Plustek 8200i, they're both good so it's mostly just wishful thinking but I've been curious how much better the Coolscans are, and if they're worth the hassle of setting up all the Firewire stuff. My main frustration lately has been scanning 35mm slides on the Plustek, they are so dense that the shadows scan very poorly and it is tough to correct - I had the impression the Coolscan was better at slides.

Last I remember reading, the Coolscan 9000 doesn’t do 35mm as well as the Coolscan 5000. The 9000 would be an upgrade from the V850 and 8200i combo though. I personally do the V850 and Coolscan 5000 combo, though there are times I wish I had the 9000 for 120.