Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

Tape, with Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Robert Sean Leonard. Directed by Richard Linklater. 3 actors, 1 room, all dialogue, completely gripping.
Alternatively, Glengarry Glen Ross. Has unbelievable dialogue courtesy of David Mamet and phenomenal performances from Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, and Kevin Spacey. Insane cast of actors there. If memory serves, there are only two settings used in the entire movie - a bar, and an office. Can't recommend this movie enough.

I'm looking for claustorphobic thrillers in the vein of The Tenant, Rope, and to a lesser degree The Descent. Something where the tension ratchets higher and higher until you feel like puking, ideally without involving monsters ala The Descent. Difficulty: I've seen all Hitchcock and most Polanski

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

vandelay industries posted:

Hey. I'm looking for a recommendation. I'd like to see a good political/international/war (one or a combination of the three) action-thriller-drama along the lines of The Hunt for Red October, Sum of All Fears, or The Peacemaker, or someone trying to trying to take down a corrupt sector of the government or a major corporation like The International. Good action with a strong protagonist is a plus!

I think I've seen most of the Jack Ryan movies.

For "1 man vs. corrupt gov't /" style, The Parallax View is a classic that is an obvious products of Nixon's 70s when people were even more cynical about government then we are today. Heavier on the drama then the action, but nonetheless great. Enemy of the State is a bit less cerebral and more actiony, but is great fun.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 2, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

Recommend me some good Apocalypse movies. I like anything from LAST NIGHT to MAD MAX to CHILDREN OF MEN. I haven't seen many older films (pre 1970s) that dealt with the end of the world, so any recommendations in that regard are very much appreciated!

There are a couple segments of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams that, while short and essentially plot free, are pretty stark and depressing.

You can actually watch it on Youtube if you don't want to watch the whole movie

Mount Fuji in Red
The Weeping Demon
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Of course, watching clips on youtube is no substitute for the real thing

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've been getting really into opera lately and would like to watch something like Robert Altman did for ballet with The Company, but for opera -- plot isn't important at all, as long as it captures the atmosphere of what that life would be like -- both in rehearsals, performances, and day-to-day life. Documentaries or movies are both fine.

Anything that would fit the bill? Searching for movies tagged 'opera' on IMDB returns, as you'd expect, a million operas which isn't what I'm looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

sulphix posted:

I'm a huge fan of David Cronenberg and have seen quite a few of his body-horror films. Was wondering if there's any other directors or films that are similar to his style or compliment his films well.

I'm basically looking for something along the lines of Videodrome, Dead Ringers, The Fly and The Brood but not necessarily directed by Cronenberg.

Cronenberg also did a movie called Spider that you might like. And Takashi Miike's Audition just might fit as well (though you shouldn't read anything about it -- going in knowing nothing about it is the best way to experience it)

e: Maybe Tetsuo. It's on Netflix Instant Streaming.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please recommend some neo-noir thrillers where the hero is completely out of his element with the odds horribly against him, and the more he finds out and the deeper he digs, the more hosed he is. I love it when these take a supernatural or just plain weird turn, or any kind of supernatural or horror/noir hybrids at all. So far I have enjoyed Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, In the Mouth of Madness, Constantine, Oldboy, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks (the series and the Fire Walk With Me movie).

Not a lot of neo-noir that comes to mind that you probably haven't already seen
Memento, but I'm sure you've seen that. Sin City would fit the bill perfectly (especially Marve's story arc) but I bet you've seen it.
For similar themes but without the noir, Serpent and the Rainbow maybe. The Game.

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for movies with quite a heavy focus on dialogue. They don't necessarily have to be entirely dialogue without much action (although I did enjoy 12 Angry Men). I suppose Pulp Fiction would be the best example because of the exchanges between the characters, Reservoir Dogs is another example too.
If you're a romantic at heart, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Watch Sunrise first, then take a month off before seeing Before Sunset.
Others: Tape, In the Company of Men, The Shape of Things

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking for movies that gradually build a really creepy atmosphere/setting/characters. Movies that drop scattered hints that Something Is Not Quite Right that grow more frequent that leaves the realization of the full scope of how hosed up it is until the end of the film or even until reflection upon the film afterwards. Can someone help me out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well and Dark City (the director's cut at least with the awful expository monologue cut out) was good at letting you know things were weird without telling you precisely how. Am I describing what I mean properly?

Audition is the perfect movie for this, fits your definition to a T. Don't read anything about it before watching it.

e: There's two Auditions, one is a korean rom-com, that's not the right one. Get the Japanese film, directed by Takashi Miike

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:allears:

whoops

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

codyclarke posted:

Looking for recommendations of slow, minimalist asian films similar to Kim Ki-Duk's work. I'm a huge fan of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring and 3-Iron in particular. Anything like either of those would probably be up my alley.

Flowers of Shanghai. Probably the most gorgeous film ever shot, and as minimalist as can be.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Looking for films that have an awesome, fictional movie-within-a-movie like Angels With Filthy Souls in Home Alone or the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" show in Robocop. Bonus points if it's actually tied into the plot, like the trailers in Tropic Thunder or the movie version of In The Mouth of Madness in, well, In The Mouth of Madness.

There's loads of these, to a greater or lesser degree.
Inland Empire - basically extends the concept as far as it can be taken
Full Frontal (which I hated but some people like)
Twin Peaks tv series had a bit of this
Who Am I This Time, to an extent
Synecdoche, New York - probably belongs in the same general category as Inland Empire

e: also, Wes Craven's New Nightmare which is a severely underrated horror film. And iirc, Scream 2 (or 3?) pokes fun at the first one by having a film version of it to start the movie.

e2: The Purple Rose of Cairo

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

No i in Teamocil posted:

Lately I've been going on a Charlie Kaufman kick and want to watch more movies like his. I've seen him mentioned a few times in this thread, but there are certain things I'e noticed about his movies that I want more of. First, and probably most important: an ability to make me feel sentimental while still being cynical. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is probably the best example of this. Second: they feel tremendously self-important but also self-conscious. Kaufman kind of lampshades this in Adaptation.. Third: They have a mind-fuckery element to them, but if you don't want to have your mind hosed it's still an entertaining movie, i.e. Being John Malkovich. Can anyone recommend me movies with any of these elements, particularly the first one?

I'd say Before Sunrise and Before Sunset pretty much fit the first two, though the first might be inverted -- cynical exterior (particularly for Jesse) masking a true romantic. My two favorite movies of all time, they are the quintessence of my experiences as a 20-something and 30-something; no other movies have felt nearly as real and authentic as those two.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ganson posted:

Anyone have some good spaceship movies with more flying around shooting crap than teaching alien women to love or preaching about the environment? (Star Wars/Star Trek are too easy, something I probably would have missed).

The Last Starfighter (though in all likelihood you've seen it already)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

the posted:

Any film by Lars von Trier

Or Wong Kar Wai. Even his happy / playful movies have an undercurrent of bleak despair (Chungking Express). Happy Together is one of the most depressing movies I've seen, I think.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Any recommendations for dark or gritty movies with an unreliable narrator? Something along the lines of Memento, Identity, Jacob's Ladder, or The Usual Suspects. And preferably smaller films - if it's something well-known or by a big name director, odds are I've seen it.

Available on Netlix Streaming would be a bonus.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

Have you seen Repulsion? More of a big name director (Polanski), but also French and almost more horror. Brilliant, unsettling stuff, but you may have seen it.

I've seen it, but that's a good recommendation and exactly what I'm looking for. (The Tenant is even better, see that if you haven't).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I love all the films you named, so I'll throw out Lost Highway, Angel Heart, The Machinist, and Pi, even though you've probably seen them already.

'Fraid so. Though Angel Heart might be due for a rewatch.

MonkeeKong posted:

Images by Robert Altman might just be what you're looking for. Also, I'd like to recommend the classic suspense movie The Killers.
For some reason I thought The Killers was a Kubrick movie, but IMDB says not. Haven't seen either of the films you recommended, thanks!

e: typed Images into Netflix and while it sadly isn't available for streaming, Following is! Haven't seen it for nearly a decade, definitely will watch this tonight. Thanks!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 21, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ehud posted:

I watched The Fall yesterday and it was really great. I'd love any recommendations for other visually stunning, original movies.

edit: Not Benjamin Button

Flowers of Shanghai is the most gorgeous film I've ever seen. Visually ravishing. You have to have a tolerance for plotless, slow-moving films though.

Matteo44 posted:

I have almost no exposure to the film noire genre and would love to get more acquainted with some good entries. Really the only film I've seen that could be considered film noire would be Brick, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. I suppose Sin City had some elements to the genre but I don't think it really counts. So where should I begin? If possible, I'd like to start with some more modern films and work my way back.

The original DOA (which iirc is available for free on any public domain movie site - fell out of copyright) and Double Indemnity are definitive examples of the genre.
e: But those are among the progenitors. If you want something more recent to work back from, maybe Angel Heart would qualify - kind of noirish with a twist. Ditto for Dark City. Tone is definitely film noir-like, but from a plot standpoint I don't know if either would directly qualify.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Your confusion is understandable. Kubrick directed movies called Killer's Kiss and The Killing.
Ah, that makes sense. Just too much killing to keep track of them all I suppose.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 21, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Drizzle 34 posted:

like:
fight club, gangs of new york, lock stock, rocknrolla, ocean's 11, se7en, life aquatic with steve zissou, Trainspotting, oldboy.

Those definitely aren't all, but I'm heading out to rent something today and those are close to what I'm in the mood for. I've seen snatch but didn't like it as well as the other two guy films. might be the accent, though I usually keep up fine.

Maybe La Femme Nikita or Shallow Grave

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sashkabob posted:

Can anyone recommend some independent type artsy/indie/philosophical type films?
I really enjoy movies like:

Requiem for a Dream
Waking Life
Abres Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Into the Wild
eXistenZ

Also, I really enjoy movies that have a certain style about them - like a certain unique characteristic that invokes a particular emotion.

If you liked Waking Life, surely you've seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset? Not as overtly philosophical as Waking Life, but definitely indie, artsy in a not-trying-to-be-artsy type of way, and just all around great movies. Jesse and Celine from the 'laying in bed talking' scene in Waking Life are the main characters in those movies.

I'd also recomment the *qatsi films -Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi. Also Baraka, which is very similar.

Born into Brothels isn't arty or philosophical per se, but it definitely evokes emotions.

Other ideas:
Tarnation
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
2046 (I have a hunch you'd really like this)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

In addition to the ones mentioned already,
Living in Oblivion
The Big Picture
8 1/2

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

caiman posted:

I just watched Carl Dreyer's Vampyr and loved its disconnected nightmarish quality. It reminded me of Eraserhead in a way, which is a very good thing. I'd like recommendations for other movies that create a surreal, nightmarish atmosphere. Stark contrasty black and white and Gothic imagery are also a plus.

Tetsuo - The Iron Man is a perfect fit.
Less perfect but still worth consideration:
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Heart
The Tenant
Repulsion

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

lindramine posted:

I'm looking for some good (for me) vampire movies. So many that I've watched just don't hit the right tone and I'm left disappointed. I really want to see movies where the vampires are not the "bad guys" in a monster sense -- i.e., they can be bad in human ways, such as being greedy, selfish, etc., but not just pure scary monsters. I am fine with some violence/gore, as long as it's not too intense or take up too much of the movie. (For instance, the small gross parts in The Lost Boys or Let the Right One In didn't put me off, but Daybreakers was too gross for me.) A movie that did a better job with the "vampire society" thing that features in Daybreakers would be awesome as well.

You should read Anne Rice's vampire books (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, etc). Shame the movies are so bad, but the books do a great job of capturing the feeling you're looking for and exploring vampire society.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 16, 2010

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

codyclarke posted:

I just saw Timecrimes and between that and Moon I'm jonesin' for some other recent, fairly low budget and extremely good sci-fi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Timecrimes was great. I think the main problem will be that there's little low-budget recent sci-fi. Which 2 of those three qualities (recent / low budget / sci-fi) are most important? If you can look past 'recent', then THX1138, Andromeda Strain, and Logan's Run (cheesy but still good) are solid choices.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, 2046 might work too. I'm not sure if it's science fiction or not. I mean it is, but ...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What are some good movies about journalism/mass media screwing people over? It can be serious (Ace In the Hole, A Face In The Crowd) or silly (Network, to a lesser extent Tomorrow Never Dies).

Wag the Dog

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

So, ANY European films from the past 10 years, huh?

In the Mood for Love

I accept that Russia is somehow considered European, but I don't think even the most liberal of interpretations can place Hong Kong in Europe ;)

That said, Wong Kar Wai's entire catalog should be mandatory watching for anyone who likes movies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

terrorist plumber posted:

I recently rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the nth time, and I absolutely love it. Are there any movies that are similar in terms of tone and style of comedy? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are In Bruges and Guy Ritchie's first two movies, which I also really like, although I'm sure there are more.

Maybe Out of Sight or Get Shorty, both based on Elmore Leonard books.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

spe posted:

I watched Glengarry Glen Ross and I loving loved every minute of it. Anything in the same vein as that film would me an immense recommendation. Sharp dialogue, conservative direction (if you know what I mean), all about personalities that become gods for the 90 minutes we share with them.

I know the obvious direction is to follow David Mamet, and if that is the case then I'd love some pointers and recommendations in regard to his back catalogue. Thing with this is, I just watched The Spanish Prisoner. Excellent story, some awful delivery from the leading lady and it just didn't jive with me the same way GGGR did, the main guy was cool as gently caress though.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can steer me in the direction I'm trying look.

12 Angry Men
Maybe Tape

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ayato posted:

Can anyone recommend films about dreams, such Paprika and Inception?

The mediocre Jennifer Lopez movie "The Cell"
"Spellbound" has a very cool dream sequence in it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

electricsugar posted:

Recommend me an action/thriller, but something unconventional. Perhaps a foreign or indie film. I want something fast-paced, fun and a little weird.

La Femme Nikita, though it may not be quite as actiony as you want.
Run Lola Run is an obvious choice.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jolo posted:

I'm looking for a movie with a group of people all banding together to totally ruin a single person. I've been rereading Grant Morrison's Batman run, and his concept of The Black Glove is basically what I'm looking for. They're a bunch of incredibly wealthy people who band together to destroy someone in every way possible because they're bored with their lives of luxury and more importantly, because they can.

I'm trying to think of a particular movie that is like this, but can't think of any. The closest thing that comes to mind is Enemy of the State, but it was less focused on loving with Will Smith's character than getting back a piece of damaging evidence. Ah, just thought of another one: The Game with Michael Douglas is a much better example. Oldboy is another one, but has a single person rather than a group.

Maybe not the best fit, but Happy Together is basically two people being destroyed by society's views. Like many of Wong Kar-Wai's films, it is utterly bleak so be forewarned if you don't like that type of movie.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

You've named some great movies, and I'll second eXistenZ and Pi. Also try The 13th Floor, which makes a great double-feature with Dark City, and The Illusionist, which pairs well with The Prestige. L.A. Confidential is the best film noir to come out in decades, and I'd definitely add it to your list as well. Also Following, Christopher Nolan's first movie, a neat little black and white neo-noir film.

If you don't mind a bit of horror, also try Angel Heart, In the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon, Session 9, and Silent Hill. All have really dark, creepy atmosphere and a few shocking reveals.

^^^Tons of great recommendations here.

And to the OP, I'm sure you've seen it but if not, 2001 is mandatory. Not quite a mindfuck in the way Dark City is, but there's not a person alive who can honestly claim they saw the ending coming.

Other possible fits:
Mulholland Dr
Lost Highway
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Tell No One

Only 2001 and Eternal Sunshine can qualify as sci-fi, but based on your inclusion of Memento, The Machinist, and Identity I included the others.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

I'm in the mood for some time travel movies. Any recommendations aside from Back to the Future, Timecrimes, Primer, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys, or Time Cop?

Triangle is a bit like an inferior Timecrimes. Time After Time is an underrated film.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm approaching my 666th ranked movie on Criticker and want something appropriately Satanic to commemorate it. The only ones I can think of that I've actually seen are Prince of Darkness and Rosemary's Baby, but it doesn't have to be serious.

Angel Heart

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

conf t posted:

Might seem kind of an odd lot, but something like Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, City of God. I want strong imagery in dense, dingy urban landscapes.

After Hours

Robert Analog posted:

Also I have one more weird request. Could anyone recommend movies that start of one way and then go a completely different fuckoff direction? Knowing is a good example as is Martyrs which I watched for the first time last night and what the gently caress. I just want to be surprised with the direction a movie takes, the more outlandish the better aside from the cliches of "It was all a dream" and the like.

Assuming you don't know anything about it going in, Audition fits the bill pretty well. First part is a romantic drama, and the mood ever so gradually starts to change. If you don't know anything about the movie, *don't read about it before watching it*. Movie is much more effective if you go in knowing nothing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hyun. posted:

I've been throwing a movie night for a few friends, and I've been running out of steam on what exactly what to watch next. We've come to the decision we want to watch 'classic' movies, the sort of thing you find in a person's 'top fifty movies of all time' list. Annie Hall and Taxi Driver were definitely big hits. The catch is, something on Netflix's Instant Streaming is definitely preferred.

"Classic" movies I have seen / rated 4+ on Netflix Instant:

Amadeus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rashomon
All The President's Men
Barry Lyndon
Breathless
Charade
Eraserhead
The Exorcist
Ikiru
Jaws
M
Mad Max
Serpico
Three Days of the Condor
THX 1138
Wild Strawberries

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gattaca is an obvious answer, though 99% of it isn't in space.
Contact, arguably (if you accept the movie's conceit that allows for their means of travel)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

I think Sunshine might fit your needs.

Wait, what? What about the --

eh, never mind.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

SMP posted:

So this is a weird request. My two year old sister has forced my dad to watch Stuart Little...literally 98 times :psyduck:. I told him to show her Pixar movies and some Studio Ghibli ones, but apparently she doesn't like animation, so that fucks up my recommendations. I promised my dad I'd help him escape the nightmare, but I can't think of any good kids movies that aren't animation.

Babe. Not only does it have talking animals, it's a great movie that even adults will love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for good "fish out of water" movies, either cultural (Crocodile Dundee), due to magical events (Big), or time travel (Time after Time) ... basically good movies where a character is thrown into an unfamiliar setting and has to learn to cope with this strange environment.

• Locked thread