Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SMP posted:

So this is a weird request. My two year old sister has forced my dad to watch Stuart Little...literally 98 times :psyduck:. I told him to show her Pixar movies and some Studio Ghibli ones, but apparently she doesn't like animation, so that fucks up my recommendations. I promised my dad I'd help him escape the nightmare, but I can't think of any good kids movies that aren't animation.

Maybe Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, or Neverending Story? They might be a little on the distubing side for a two year old, but not much more so than some of the later Ghibli films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oceanside posted:

There's a couple of things I'm just starting to get in to now. The first are horror/mystery films that don't involve some sci-fi or fantasy element. I'm thinking along the lines of Saw or Cube.

Wait, Cube doesn't involve sci-fi elements? :what:

That said, Takashi Miike might be worth looking into; his films are surreal but rarely cross directly over into fantasy. Start with Audition, it's probably the closest to what you want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Futbol Injustice posted:

For some reason, I don't recall a sci-fi aspect to Cube too. Phenomenon? Maybe.

Care to jog my memory?

Oh, I don't know, the film takes place inside a giant megastructure suspended in an endless void?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair, one of the characters in the film suggests a conventional explanation for the cube, something to do with forgotten government bank accounts and distributed contracts so no one really knows what they're working on.

It doesn't ever prove him wrong or right, though.

EDIT: Spoilered just in case.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 15, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hellraiser, definitely. Or maybe Audition if you want to go the "maybe this isn't so bad" fake-out route.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Doctor Claw posted:

I'm looking for more films in a genre I can only think to call "very depressing things happen to very normal people." Deep character dramas with a lot of cynicism.

Closer should be right up your alley.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

After a Miracles marathon I am in the mood for some religious horror or trhiller movie in the same vein of the show; basically something in the vein The Exorcist or Mothman Prophecies.

I've never seen Miracles, but Jacob's Ladder is pretty comparable to Mothman Prophecies and has small but significant religious elements. It's also the best half a horror movie attached to something even stranger and more wonderful ever made. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Black Orpheus is great. It's not a strict retelling; it does its own thing, and very creatively.

Seconding this, it's a remarkable film. Also if I'm not mistaken most of it was filmed on location in Rio, during Carnivale, which is a nice added touch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Popelmon posted:

The Thing (Alaska/snowy region, very, very good)

The Thing takes place in Antarctica. (Filmed in Alaska, yes, but that's not the setting.)

Not that he shouldn't watch it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Whats some good light sci-fi space movies? Something like Moon or even The Fountain, Sci-Fi without aliens and laser battles.

In space but not space opera is a pretty limited field, far as I can tell. There's 2001, of course, which even if you've already seen it you should watch it with Moon still fresh in your mind (or vice versa) because Moon is littered with nods and references to it.

I didn't like the more recent film adaptation of Solaris (and never saw the old one), but it does cover similar themes, and you might get more mileage out of it than I did, especially if you read the book after rather than before watching the film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Synnr posted:

I'm going to be stuck watching a very young girl (~5 I think?) and I'm having troubles coming up with stuff to watch with her. She liked Ghostbusters so I'm going to dig out my copies of 1 and 2, but other than disney stuff that she isn't too ken on, I'm lost. Any recommendations for something an adult male could stand to watch alongside her?

Labyrinth, or maybe the Wallace and Gromit series? They've both got a good number of jokes that fly right over the head of little kids, or in the case of some of the W&G shorts are just charming and funny in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Have you seen Jacob's Ladder, The Mothman Prophecies, or Uzumaki? They're three of my favorite horror films with minimal to nonexistent gore, relying more on anxiety or strangeness than the traditional mix of disgust and surprise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Adus posted:

Uzumaki is a film based on the manga by Junji Ito, correct? I've read the manga. Definitely surreal and creepy. Heard the film doesn't quite stack up to it, and I wouldn't blame it. It would be pretty hard.

Yeah, that's the one. Honestly I think it works better as a film in a some ways, although it (almost necessarily) ends a little before the final day of the comic.

If you haven't seen The Thing that should probably take priority over everything else, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've seen the most recent restoration of Metropolis, M, and Die Nibelungen; where should I go from there with Fritz Lang's films?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oceanside posted:

Fair enough. When you mention "Cat-burglers" what kind of thief are you referring to?

A cat burglar is a specific type of thief, it's someone who uses their skills at roof-climbing and stealth to acquire valuables; comparable to a second-story man.

Hitchcock's To Catch A Thief would probably be the archetypical movie example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just got through watching Suspiria; I think I have a new favorite horror film. I'll probably move on to Argento's other work next, but as long as I'm here - can anyone recommend me other horror films where the conflict takes place entirely or almost entirely between female characters? I really liked the distance between Suspiria and the traditional monster / slasher film gender dynamics, and I'd like to see if it's been realized anywhere else.

(For the record, I've already seen Aliens.) :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

morestuff posted:

The Descent is exactly what you're talking about. The Ginger Snaps movies also touch on a lot of gender issues, but the quality is kind of spotty.

I've seen The Descent, although I hear there are two endings depending on where it was released. Haven't seen Ginger Snaps, though, and I love cheesy werewolf movies (Company of Wolves is a favorite) so I'll look into that!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Skribblez posted:

This might be too specific, but can anybody recommend some horror movies that take place in American city slums? I watched Candyman recently, and the setting was creepier than any cave/forest/haunted house I've ever seen.

I've already seen Leprechaun in the Hood, by the way.

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't speak to the quality, but Wolfen is set in the South Bronx.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Captain Blood, with Errol Flynn.

Seconding this. Mutiny on the Bounty is another one that pops immediately to mind, and if you don't mind an rear end in a top hat protagonist, or just like the idea of Tyrone Power in technicolor, Black Swan (1942) isn't bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

What are some good depressing movies?

Observe and Report.

Technically billed as a comedy, but personally I find it more depressing than most actual tearjerkers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Crazy C posted:

Requiem for a Dream

Just recently watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and it was brilliant.
I would like to watch Trainspotting again as well as Basketball Diaries for the first time.

It's not quite as centrally about drug abuse, but you should check out A Scanner Darkly if you haven't already.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

korgy posted:

I like the futuristic society sci-fi kind of movies such as Minority Report, I,Robot, and The Island. Anything else that might fit that category? (I have seen Blade Runner)

Metropolis and Dark City fit the bill and are great movies. (If you watch Dark City, get the director's cut, the theatrical release spoils the entire film in the first five minutes.) Bicentennial Man not so much, but if you liked I, Robot it might still be worth a look.

EDIT: Logan's Run is fun too, in a gloriously cheesy sort of way. Imagine if Minority Report had come out in the 70's and involved 100% more suicide cults and evil computers.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 14, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

sursumdeorsum posted:

I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon probably more than I should. What are some movies that have a similar tone, along with beautiful cinematography and great acting as well?

House of Flying Daggers is the first thing to leap to mind. It's gets kind of style-over-substance in places, but visually I'd say it's worth it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Strontosaurus posted:

Leviathan, Deepstar Six, the Rift, and Abyss all came out around the same time. Creeptown.

This happens more often than you might think. Lost Boys and Near Dark coming out in the same year is the example I usually point to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

Anybody know any movies that combine detective type mysteries with the supernatural?

I really enjoyed Lords of Illusion and Angel Heart, as well as the Supernatural tv series. I've also seen Constantine.

The Prophecy isn't strictly a mystery, but it's very much in the vein of Supernatural and Constantine except the writing's even goofier and the cast is infinitely better.

The Ninth Gate might be a decent option too, but the last time I tried to watch it I started it late at night and forgot that it's 2+ hours long, so I didn't end up finishing it. What I did watch was slow, but definitely had the mystery aspect, probably even more so than the films you mention.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Furious Foetus posted:

Recommend a scary film for someone who has never been scared by a film. Gore isn't very frightening so something that is psychologically frightening would be best!

Try Jacob's Ladder or Audition. I make no promises about fear, but they're good movies either way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Furious Foetus posted:

I've seen Jacob's Ladder, liked it but didn't find it frightening. I've got Audition, need to watch it! I've read a few customer review-type things and some of them went as far as to say it had given them nightmares so I guess it has potential!

Audition works on two of levels, one of which is physically grotesque, while the other is sly and well-deserved social commentary. It's more about making you extremely uncomfortable than terror or nightmares, though.

On a more general note, if you aren't watching your horror movies late at night, alone, preferably with real-life anxieties on your mind, start. I find one's own psychological state has a lot more of an effect on whether they "work" as experiences than the actual content of the film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow recently and every time I watch it, it frustrates the poo poo out of me that it's not a better movie. All the visual wizardry doesn't mean much if the actors talk to each other and the scenery like it's not there.

Pulp: I never read pulp magazines as a kid (although I did read a lot of comics), but I still find them fascinating.

You might enjoy Solomon Kane. It's not a terribly clever movie, but it is a perfectly earnest recreation of a 20's pulp character in a modern format.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Finally you could always see goon favorite Lord Of Illusions which would be much better if it didn't have early 90's CGI. The first half an hour is amazing, the second half is still decent.

Lord of Illusions is practically incomprehensible. It's worth watching once, but Nightbreed is better.

EDIT: To be fair I think I've only seen the theatrical cut, which might be the problem.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oceanside posted:

What're some films that are colourful? I mean that in the sense that the cinematography draws from a vibrant pallet, perhaps a little like Survive Style 5+ which is all I can think of that fits my description right now. Film from any period is fine, but I'd like to be able to watch it in HD.

House of Flying Daggers fits the bill, if you haven't seen it already.

fenix down posted:

Speaking of animation, pretty much anything by Pixar or Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) would fit that description, but only a few of Miyazaki's are on blu ray. Now that I think about it, I guess kid's movies are going to be the main source for heavy use of basic colors.

Well, if outright anime is okay, Mind Game and Dead Leaves are excellent, and not kids' movies.

Can't believe I didn't think of Fifth Element. :downs:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Can someone recommend me some hilariously bad movies? Preferably movies that try to be serious but just end up being unintentional comedies.

edit: The Core is a good example

Eighties fantasy films are great for this. Krull, Dragonslayer, maybe The Magic Sword - it has the same feel to it although it's from a few decades earlier.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

penismightier posted:

Aside from Meet Frankenstein and Hold That Ghost, what are some good Abbot and Costello movies?

I loved Meet the Mummy and Jack and the Beanstalk as a child, but I can't promise anything about good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

csidle posted:

Everyone's talking about how Drive is a throwback to the atmosphere and mood of 80's movies. What movies from that period could I watch for something similiar?

Lost Boys. The target demographic is probably a bit younger, but it's close enough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

VampireRobot posted:

Please recommend me some obscure but good horror movies.
I particularly like slashers, but your recommendation doesn't have to be a slasher.

The Burrowers came out in 2007 and I think it went under a lot of people's radar - it's a period piece set in the American midwest in 1879. I've never seen the television show it was based on, but the movie itself is pretty good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

llama_arse posted:

Recommend me psychological horror films in the vein of Session 9 or Jacob's Ladder; the more disturbing the better.

I'm going to go with a very generous definition of "psychological" and tell you to watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

It makes a great companion film to Jacob's Ladder, in an inverted sort of sense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think I'm going to hijack that list; I love Company of Wolves but I've never even heard of any of the others.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

I just finished watching Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (not for the first time, I love that movie), and now I'm in the mood for another good high seas adventure, preferably something historically accurate with some action. Anybody have some recommendations?

"Historically accurate" might be stretching it a little, but Captain Blood is always fun, or if you haven't seen it yet there's Mutiny on the Bounty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Ruins is the first thing I think of that is both very mainstream and also a pretty good horror movie. Although some of the appeal might come from wanting the characters to die because they're jerks rather than just traditional scares.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

The obvious film missing from the list is Avatar, which takes "white man saves the day" to outer space.

Dune beat it to that by a couple of decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

I did think about listing Dune, but that was one white alien helping a different set of white aliens. It's the same story, but didn't hit the racial note the guy was asking for.

Maybe my thinking is influenced more by the books, but you don't think the Fremen are meant to be Middle Eastern?

• Locked thread