Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for some really gritty, dark, depraved movies. NOT in like a gross out way, I'm not looking for like Human Centipede type stuff, but more stuff that just leaves you feeling exhausted and soulless by the end of it. Stuff along the lines of Prisoners, Zodiac, The Road, The Bunny Game, Out of the Furnace, etc.

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy (not really a trilogy, just marketed that way). Particularly Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and everybody's favourite Oldboy; personally I prefer Sympathy for Lady Vengeance but I'd say it ends up deviating from the brief you gave a bit.

I'm looking for super easy to watch films at the moment, just super simple things to catch after a long day. Nothing taxing at all. Doesn't have to be great whatsoever, just really easy to pass time with. Under 2 hours, please, because when I'm tired I lose my concentration after a while :shobon: for instance, 50/50 is the right sort of thing, and I caught a film called Smashed tonight which was perfect: short, easy to follow, very effective & entertaining. Any genre will do except, uh, probably horror I guess. Being intentionally vague because I wanna cast as wide a net as possible, and quantity > quality in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

MrSmokes posted:

Looking for some movies where isolation is a major theme, or plays a role in the plot at some point. Cast Away, Moon, The Shining, The Thing, 2001 are some of my favorites that involve this. Bonus points if it's about just one person being in isolation, or reaches a point where there's one person left and then the movie follows just that last person for a while. I'm looking for something closest to Cast Away (any suggestion is great though.) Just something quiet that lets you focus on the person and think about their mindset and whatnot.

Castaway On the Moon for sure. Oldboy starts out that way, but may stray too far from that after a while.

e: Also Gravity I guess

Allyn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 13, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone.

What are some films about loneliness/isolation? I've seen Taxi Driver and Moon. The more depressing the better.

Wrt isolation, there was a discussion a couple weeks ago on that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post437621072

I'd also add Paris, Texas to that list for loneliness

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Kangra posted:

In addition to Paris, Texas, there's also Don't Look Back from Wim Wenders too.

Is that the right title? I can't find any film by him under that name. Have only seen Paris, Texas but loved it so much that I should really check out some other stuff of his as a matter of urgency, really :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

anyone got some recs for trashy entertaining movies i havent seen? Doesnt have to be trashy it can be just good. Watched spring breakers recently and that was a decent trashy movie that really worked for me. Try to recommend a movie where if I sit down to watch it blind I wont have any idea what is actually going to happen in it or what wierd place the movie is going to go into.

Recent watches that I have enjoyed:

The Guest
Haywire
Gotg

Lucy fits the bill I think. Maybe Attack the Block too? Don't know if it's trashy as such but it's just really fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable for it.

Anyone got any reccs for films on colonialism? Just watched Malick's The New World last week and want to see some more stuff on the era.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Looking for some sci-fi along the lines of Interstellar, stuff set in a largely modern or near-future world which involves deep space travel. Think 2001 or Sunshine or whatever; Star Trek, rather than Star Wars. (Seriously, no space operas.) Assume I've seen nothing, it's something I've not really delved too far into. And as a tangent: does Solaris fit the bill? Been meaning to watch it for years but have never gotten round to it, wondering if I should up it to the top of the must-watch pile based on this.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Any movies about people struggling with sobriety/addiction? I'm on my 10th day sober right now and struggling, and for some reason seeing other people struggle helps. I've already seen Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream, though hopefully movies with more of a focus on alcohol than drugs.

Oslo, August 31st is one of the best films of the decade, about a recovering drug addict trying to return to a normal life, walking round Oslo and seeing old friends. It's based on the same novel as a French film called The Fire Within, though I haven't seen it personally and it sounds like it traces a similar path (unsurprisingly) so I doubt it's worth watching both in quick succession. Smashed is a great little indie with a phenomenal performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Best of luck staying sober; I hope you have someone you can call. Take care.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I haven't seen either of those so not entirely sure, but To the Wonder feels basically like that. But fair warning: if you don't like recent-Malick you'll probably find it utterly insufferable

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Any recs for stuff that's heartwarming without being too schmaltzy? I'm struggling to think of examples of what I'm after, unfortunately. Stuff that's redemptive and uplifting without being totally unrealistic.

Not sure that any of these are the best fit, but:
Lee Chang-dong's Poetry. Might be too depressing early on, though. (e: Actually maybe too depressing period. But it does have very touching, heartwarming moments within it)
Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day. Same thing here.
Interstellar, although that definitely falls prey to schmaltz.
Kiarostami's Close-Up actually feels like the best fit of the lot. A very, very humanist film. And even though the story seems totally unrealistic, it's actually a docudrama retelling a completely true story.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Any films which involve walking/driving around classical European towns/cities, and really make use of those locations? Think Before Sunrise (Vienna), Before Sunset/2 Days in Paris (uh, Paris :)), Certified Copy (various places in Tuscany), The Grand Beauty (Rome).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

In Bruges ? Or do you want something more scenic?

I was thinking scenic, yeah, but my friend's been bugging me to watch IB since about 2010 so I'll probably get round to it now anyway :shobon:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shoot me some really good french language films. It seems pretty darn likely at this point that I'll be going to school in montreal so I'd like to get immersed in the language a bit.

TV shows are also acceptable, if you know of any.

edit: oh wait there is a language sub-forum that I totally missed.

Well have some anyway: the Three Colours trilogy (although White is mostly Polish), Night & Fog, The Double Life of Veronique (also Polish early on but majority is French), Two Days One Night, The Pier, Rust and Bone

Although from what I've heard Quebecois is rather unintelligible to French people, dunno if the opposite's true

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Schurik posted:

Looking for low-key and/or "hard" sci-fi (thrillers) in the vein of Europa Report

Coherence, maybe? I think Ex Machina's meant to be like that too, which is in cinemas in the US right now, but I've not seen it yet.

Y'all have served me well so far, so another request: films about either people encountering their doppelgangers, or encountering a second version of themselves (whether through time travel or other means). Ones I've seen include The Double Life of Veronique, Enemy, The Double, Moon, Another Earth, Interstellar, Primer, Triangle, Timecrimes... that kinda thing. That's just about everything I've seen which uses this trope I think, so anything not listed, no matter how famous, would be welcome :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm looking for more movies with a lot of in-character narration. As in the character is the narrator talking about what they are thinking stream of consciousness style or whatever, and not a third party omniscient narrator talking directly to the viewer. The best example I can think of is Revolver with Jason Statham. I really like that he is basically a crazy person and it's all cerebral and weird, but I'd settle for something more normal. The TV show Peep Show relies on this heavily, in a normal not-crazy fashion as an example of that.

Malick's 4 most recent films

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some dark, gritty thriller moves? Hopefully some with some philosophy in it. Or just a really intelligent one.

Think along the lines of True Detective, Prisoners, Zodiac, etc.

Memories of Murder. Also Nightcrawler if you haven't seen it yet

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Eyes Wide Shut

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Only other things I can think of are Blue Velvet and Inherent Vice. Maybe Hana-bi too, actually

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

buddhanc posted:

I've got a couple requests. First, I love movies where the main character is framed for a crime that he / she didn't commit and has to set off on an adventure to clear his /. her name. Anything good in that genre that y'all can think of? Also, I love time travel / parallel universe movies so any suggestions for those would be great as well.

Bong Joon-ho's Mother for the first, although it's a mother trying to clear her mentally disabled son's name

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Most of Edgar Wright's films, really

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Moonrise Kingdom is absolutely spot on for this

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

What are some good movies that deal with the darker aspects of sexuality? I've seen the stuff from von Trier (seeing Nymphomaniac prompted this request) and Gaspar Noe, as well as some of the stuff from Cronenberg and Lynch which fits the theme. Seen Last Tango in Paris and Eyes Wide Shut. The Piano Teacher is also a favorite. I've heard decent-to-terrible things about the work of Catherine Breillat, but haven't seen any of it. And that's about it. Is there anything really great I'm missing out on?

Sex, Lies, and Videotape. Up on Netflix in the UK, too

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ElectricBlizzard posted:

I'm trying to find as many movies as possible that pertain to/are about killing your father (patricide) from any genre of movies.
Any help ?

Himizu. If you wanna go metaphorically, The Truman Show

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Looking for more Groundhog Day-like films, living/experiencing the same day over and over. So far I've seen Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow and Premature. Any others out there?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

star trek posted:

I loved Amelie and Submarine. Any other movies that are fun and quirky like these?

Definitely Frances Ha, Moonrise Kingdom (really all of Wes Anderson's stuff I guess) and Scott Pilgrim. Maybe Castaway on the Moon -- not sure it's fun enough, it's a little slower paced, but it's absolutely lovely in its quirkiness. I'd also throw It's Such a Beautiful Day out there -- again, I don't know if fun's necessarily the word (it is at times but it also gets really, really heavy), but it's just the fuckin best. Plus it's on Netflix and only an hour long.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Are there any other good films like Linklater and Godard's "monologue films." By that, I mean the kinds of movies where various characters spend most or all of the film spouting philosophies and ideologies. Plot or no plot. So, Slacker, Waking Life, Masculin Feminin, etc.

Wings of Desire

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Any good martial arts or well choreographed action films come out lately?

It's not that new (2010) but 13 Assassins has some amazing, amazing choreography, particularly in the final 50 minutes or so. I think it's on Netflix US and Hulu?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ornithology posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of gritty neo-noir crime thrillers. Stuff like Prisoners, Gone Baby Gone, Memento, Zodiac. Preferably darker than stuff like LA Confidential. It's my favourite sort of genre and unfortunately I feel like I've seen pretty much all of the good ones. Recently watched a few recommendations such as Blue Ruin and End of Watch and was not particularly impressed.

E: or something with a similar vibe to Fargo season 1

Memories of Murder

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I have seen the following movies that have the following characteristics: low budget, sci-fi-ish to do with alternate dimensions and time travel:

- Timecrimes
- Time Lapse
- Coherence
- Triangle
- Primer
- Predestination

Is there anything else in this vein that's actually good? I've considered Upstream Color but figured it's probably not really my thing.

e: for some reason even though they're mostly unrelated even though they show up on lists - I've seen Enemy, and don't really want to see The Double.

ARQ is the same sorta thing but tbh I thought it was gash. Then again I thought Time Lapse was terrible too so if you liked that ARQ might still be worth a shot. There are a couple of short films well worth seeing: La Jetée (which was the basis for 12 Monkeys, which I haven't seen but you could probably add in too, although it obv had a higher budget) and World of Tomorrow. Edge of Tomorrow and Source Code are both tight but also much higher budgets than those low-key things, obv. I'd also throw out Another Earth, a bit of a wildcard. No time travel or alternative dimensions, but about the possibility of other versions of yourself. It's also pure indie, low budget stuff.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

Looking for drama films centered around poor characters/poverty/etc.. Not necessarily about trying to overcome it, but certainly the lack of money being important to the story in some way. English suggestions preferred (as I've found multiple lists of foreign-language films that fit the bill so far).

Not in English but the Dardennes brothers, Two Days, One Night is a particular must see. Pretty much everything by Ken Loach. Every hood film ever made -- Do the Right Thing is probably the standout. Fish Tank, Nebraska, Magic Mike, A Woman Under the Influence... They aren't strictly dramas but you could even throw Chaplin's Modern Times and City Lights in there -- they definitely have an aspect of class to them. Hopefully there's something worthwhile in amongst that lot :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations for things like Into the Wild, Wildlike, Wild (lol), Easy Rider, Happy People. Basically like some Americana wanderlust/living off the grid. Something you watch where you're like "drat id love to drive cross country in a camper van and go to the national parkS" or "I just want to live a little off the grid but not necessarily like a complete maniac". Basically just want to escape city living for a bit.

Into the Wilderness, if you're alright with documentaries. They just follow a guy who moved up to the Alaskan wilderness as he builds himself a cabin and tools to hunt with and similar. There are two parts, one of which is on YouTube. (I think it's the second, from the introduction, but it's been a while since I saw them and I'm not certain.) They're very soothing, almost like watching some home improvement show set in a Bob Ross painting

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

If I loved Attack The Block, what are some similar films to watch?

Edgar Wright is the next closest thing, really. Cornish and Wright were working together on Ant-Man for a reason

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Come and See. Just... Come and See

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ornithology posted:

Looking for dark crime thrillers or mystery films, sci Fi also acceptable. Stuff I enjoyed in this theme includes Seven, Gone Baby Gone, memories of murder, triangle, the game, etc. Any quick suggestions highly appreciated.

Dark crime thrillers: Sicario, The Chaser, I Saw the Devil, Cold in July, Blue Ruin, A History of Violence

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

goose willis posted:

I'm looking for 90s comedies set in the 70s, things like Dazed and Confused, The Stoned Age, or Detroit Rock City, any suggestions?

If you're willing to go for a TV series, definitely check out Freaks and Geeks

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's set in the 80's. But still, watch it. It's great.

Ah poo poo, it's 1980, thought it was 1978. Still, it feels much, much closer to 1970s stuff than 1980s. The first year or two of a decade always does feel closer to the decade before, really

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Russian Ark, Rear Window, Taxi Tehran, Ex Machina for the most part. Could even go for Dogville and Manderlay, sorta?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I wouldn't say Russian Ark fits the spirit of the question. I mean technically it does but technically Taxi Driver does because it's all in one location, New York City.

But it's all in the Hermitage, isn't it? It's not going anywhere else in St Petersburg

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Raging Bull, Barry Lyndon, The New World, Zodiac, 12 Years a Slave

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I don't know if it's strictly bipolar disorder (or even if it's explicitly stated what she has) but I love Betty Blue, which is in that sort of wheelhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

FalloutGod posted:

I'm looking for fun "documentary"/retelling of true facts types of movies. Stuff like The Big Short, Spotlight, Zodiak (2007) or Gold (2016). It might be a little bit of a broad request but throw some titles at me. It was fun googling those movies after I watched them to see what was true and what was changed for the sake of the film.

Bernie

• Locked thread