Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I have a huge hankering for surreal films, having just watched Mulholland Drive and quite enjoyed it. Aside from the rest of David Lynch's catalogue (much of which I love) and Bergman's Persona, what are some other movies that will whet my whistle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Belated thanks for all the recommendations! I've been going through them and they're pretty much all exactly what I was looking for. :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone know any good Noir or Neonoir movies. Preferably, but necessarily, black and white and rather archetypal visually and story wise.

I'm also looking for something similar in the form of a Spaghetti Western. Something that's easily recognizable as part of the genre that isn't by Leone. Also preferably something good. Recommendations for good but less well known American Westerns would also be appreciated.

I liked The Man who Wasn't There, it's neonoir with sprinklings of surrealism.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I despise Adam Sandler but I would forgive him in a heartbeat if he played the villain in a slasher film (or something comparable) exactly the way he plays his comedy parts.

There's always Anger Management, where he brutalizes his old bully, who had since become a tibetan monk. I thought he was pretty good in that if only because he had good chemistry with Nicholson.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Trying to think of some more films that fit the trope of, character with obvious flaw gets deepest wish granted / hit with a curse, this gives them some kind of power they didn't previously have. After an initial period of disbelief and confusion, they revel in their new ability, using it to their advantage often in a rather less than moral way. They slowly learn "important truth" about themself, and by the end of the movie they've lost that power but have gained wisdom.

Examples are Big (and to a lesser extent, every age-swap movie ever), What Women Want, Love Potion #9, Liar Liar, Yes Man. Any others in this vein would be appreciated. Also, does this trope have a name and entry on tvtropes?

This is pretty much Jim Carrey: The Movie. Another example is Bruce Almighty. (Don't watch Evan Almighty, it's poo poo)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949) seems like a good fit.

while a good choice overall be aware the headless horseman segment is uncharacteristically disturbing for something that also has scooby doo style antics going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Any recommendations for trans-centric films that are triumphant as opposed to tragic? Good non-binary representation a plus. Feeling really down from obvious recent events.

• Locked thread