Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Drewsky posted:

I've seen most of these, and actually enjoy them. They're actually good action movies. But Commando was just insane, and I was looking for more stuff like that. Just stupid as all hell action movies.

I know Lethal Weapon and Die Hard are silly in their own right, but none of these have a dude frisbeeing a sawblade and slicing off the top of a guys head. Or claiming he can smell people downwind. Having said that though I'll definitely be checking out the ones I haven't seen.

If you want awesome over the top action, have you seen Shoot em Up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

csidle posted:

Any movies in the style of Cast Away / Robinson Crusoe, that deal with isolation and survival?

Kind of a parody/fun spin on the isolation thing, but Castaway on the Moon was great.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 2, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

penismightier posted:

The Chaser. The Chaser so hard.

The Chaser is so brutal and just "gently caress you" in general, it's a great ride. I Saw the Devil is really, really, brutal too, but some people don't like the premise of it. Korean movies in general usually show violence in a way that I'd imagine is very realistic and brutal(but I've never been hit by a hammer).

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

bleeding pebbles posted:

Looking for 3 themes.

1) Some great character study movies

2) Documentaries that could possibly make someone cry

3) Films that will leave you cold

Character studies that I like: Taxi Driver, Revanche and Five Easy Pieces
Moives that left me cold: No Country for Old Men, Rome Open City, Chinatown

I think The Wrestler would be good, Into the Wild maybe too?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

What are the best Robin Williams movies that aren't comedies? I've recently watched What Dreams May Come and World's Greatest Dad and enjoyed him not trying to be funny.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

It's from 99', but I think you'd like Bringing Out the Dead if you haven't already seen it. Directed by Scorsese, starring Nicolas with John Goodman, Ving Rhames, Tom Sizemore. It follows an insomniac Nicolas Cage as he works night shift driving an ambulance in the really poor/dangerous parts of Manhattan.

Little bit late, but

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some of the best and most essential films from the East Asia region, specifically China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan? I understand that this is an incredibly broad question, but I'm doing a subject this semester on Asian Cinema. Obviously it will have its own film list, but I'd like to see a few things beforehand since I'd be going in almost entirely cold aside from Park Chan-wook, Ang Lee and Miyazaki movies. I'm by no means looking for an exhaustive list (you can if you want!) but just a few great films from each of those countries, both classic and recent.

You should check out the South Korean Movie thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 9, 2014

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

How about Bon Cop, Bad Cop? It's a crime/action/comedy about an Ontario cop and Quebec cop that have to begrudgingly team up to solve a murder. Oh, and hockey of course. Not sure if that was what you were looking for, but I found it hilarious.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

What's a good Sam Rockwell movie? I've seen Matchstick Men, Seven Psychopaths, Moon, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Galaxy Quest, Green Mile, Jerry and Tom.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ip Man 3 came out this year, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet. The previous two films are sort of a mixed bag, but the action was well-choreographed. And if nothing else, Donnie Yen facing off against Mike Tyson sounds like a treat.

I heard it's a pretty short fight and it isn't a very central one, since Mike isn't a huge part of the movie or something. When I heard about it I was expecting him to be the big baddie and a final fight kind of like Ip Man 2, but apparently that isn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

looking for movies where the main character becomes increasingly deranged/nuts/batshit. Can be any genre, comedy, drama, whatever. Vampire's Kiss is a good example of hilariously deranged, but feel free to throw me some dark poo poo too.

How about Take Shelter? Also has Michael Shannon.

• Locked thread