Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

zenintrude posted:

Can you guys provide me with some suggestions of really loving Halloweeny movies? I'm not into gore or jump scares, so I'm not looking for things like John Carpenter's Halloween... with me, it's more of a production design thing: I want neighborhoods completely decked out in Halloween trimmings and kids out wandering the streets looking for candy.

Basically I'm looking for movies similar these:
Hocus Pocus
Trick 'r Treat (gore notwithstanding, set design is through the roof)
Costume Quest
The Adventures of Pete and Pete - "Halloweenie"
Freaks and Geeks - "Tricks and Treats"

(side note: from the look of it, I don't think I'd like the Halloweentown films)

Satan's Little Helper - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan%27s_Little_Helper - which I thought was otherwise atrociously bad - has great Halloween house/neighborhood/party production design. But nothing has touched Trick 'r Treat in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

A human heart posted:

What are some cool body horror movies? I've already seen most of Cronenberg's stuff, all 3 of Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo films, The Thing and Alien and I need to give Altered States a watch. Is there any more obscure stuff floating around?

TEETH. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_%28film%29

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

So I saw three movies in the last two years that I've absolutely fallen in love with, Troll Hunter, Rare Exports, and Strigoi, and I'd be greatful if someone can recommend some movies that scratch something of the same itch. I can't put my finger on what it is about all three, but I loved the looming threat of the unknown and possibly supernatural, as well as the slower pacing. I liked the sense of humor they had too, but I think something more serious like Event Horizon would fall into the same bucket.

Though it's not quite on the nose, I want to say that Pontypool will hit the vibe you want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypool_%28film%29

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Please hit me with endearingly shitheeled/loser'ish private detectives or even regular people caught up in stuff way above their paygrade. Modern (1950's or later) setting preferred, Los Angeles is almost a no-brainer but I'm flexible. Obvious touchstones are Altman's The Long Goodbye, The Big Lebowski if only because everyone immediately knows what I mean, the underrated Zero Effect, Palmetto, even Chinatown. Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice and Richard Brautigan's Dreaming of Babylon are novels that perfectly nail this. Emphasis on our protagonist being a loveable doof/fuckup or just plain weirdo.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Awesome, I'm glad! And thanks to everyone else that hooked me up with recs.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just watched Reality Bites, and really enjoyed it, so I'd like to watch something similar, in terms of the time and theme. I'm in a real Gen X, early 90s mood.

SFW
Slacker
Singles
Beautiful Girls
Suburbia (Linklater, 1996)
The Doom Generation
Airheads
The Cable Guy (secretly the most "nineties" movie that exists)
So I married an axe murderer

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Included for the sake of completeness and not as a legit recommendation I assume.

edit:
Empire Records

e2: drat, efb'd twice in one post

Absolutely.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Allyn posted:

Looking for some sci-fi along the lines of Interstellar, stuff set in a largely modern or near-future world which involves deep space travel. Think 2001 or Sunshine or whatever; Star Trek, rather than Star Wars. (Seriously, no space operas.) Assume I've seen nothing, it's something I've not really delved too far into. And as a tangent: does Solaris fit the bill? Been meaning to watch it for years but have never gotten round to it, wondering if I should up it to the top of the must-watch pile based on this.

The Fountain

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Mimir posted:

I'm looking for movies about journeys by small groups or individuals across an unforgiving wilderness/desert/forest, where nature, rather than man, is the main enemy. Westerns, fantasy, or modern.

Fitzcarraldo

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Recommend me a very sad movie. Language doesn't matter, I haven't seen many tear-jerkers either, but I love movies. Just something to let the water-works fly!

Love Liza, Synechdoche NY, Umberto D.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Demons (1985)
Society (1989)
Santa Sangre (1989)
Brain Damage (1988)
Hardware (1990)
Of Unknown Origin (1983)
The Burning (1981)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Razorback (1984)

I could go on and on but it's hard not knowing what you've seen.

The Stuff (1985)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

Anybody know any cool mysteries similar to Chinatown?

"Zodiac," which is like "Chinatown" meets "All the president's men." It's phenomenal.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you want to get sad, realize that Fincher and Ellroy were developing a series for HBO, but it recently fell through.

I......did not know that. I need a moment.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

Looking for horror films that feel nightmarish and where reality and dreams/fantasy clash--what's real is not clear. Stuff along the lines of Jacob's Ladder, Hellraiser (specifically Inferno), Silent Hill, etc..

The Abandoned

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Looking for modern films (post-1970) set in cities and featuring people basically being alienated from society, their loved ones, or being miserable in some other way.

e: I'd like the city to really have its own personality rather than being some nondescript backdrop

You literally will not find a more exact, accurate, and perfect answer to this question than Syecdoche, NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

Any recommendations for trans-centric films that are triumphant as opposed to tragic? Good non-binary representation a plus. Feeling really down from obvious recent events.

Tangerine

• Locked thread