Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any recommendations for older science fiction movies? I enjoy classic B-movies like "The Invisible Man" and "The Fly" and Netflix has been a valuable resource for these. Any great ones that I am missing out on? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you, that's quite a lot of titles! Invasion of the Body Snatchers was excellent, I will be sure to check out the other ones.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any reccomendations on science fiction epics? I love movies like Blade Runner, Moon, the Alien movies, etc. Movies with great characters, plot and pacing that are science fiction. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I watched V/H/S earlier today and loved it, it was fun, gory, and I had thought myself desensitized but it did, at times scare me, especially the second story when they kill the boyfriend

Any reccomendations for other good horror anthologies/horror short stories?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out-I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter so this should be right up my alley

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Some reccomendations for darker, grittier horror movies (Like the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, also TCM:TB, [REC], things like that, would be much appreciated. The gorier the better, though I'd prefer to stay away from some of the demon/possession stuff. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I, after your suggestion, ended up seeing the loved ones. It was great! I loved it...definitely had that tone and feel I was looking for. Indeed I've seen and loved Martyrs too. Thanks for your suggestions!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Reccomendations for fantasy sword-and-sorcery flicks? Think Conan the Barbarian.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any reccomendations for gritty fantasy/medieval movies? Something alone the lines of Game of Thrones (not a movie but still) or Black Death. Preferably on Netflix instant. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some science fiction/future movies dealing with drug addiction?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I recently watched Repo! The Genetic Opera and Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Reqiuem Any other reccomendations for good rock/metal operas?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Reccomendations along the lines of Blue Valentine and Lost in Translation?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

Anybody know anything along the lines of Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, or Prisoners?

Not about kidnapping, but Zodiac has that eerie/dark Prisoners vibe. You might enjoy it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Movies similar to Excision or Donnie Darko?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some fantasy/medieval/sci-fi epics? Like Lord of the Rings or something that would go well with an Amon Amarth soundtrack.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I recently watched Valhalla Rising and Pathfinder and have been listening to a lot of Amon Amarth.

What are some other awesome viking movies?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some awesome metal documentaries? I recently watched Until The Light Takes Us, Pure loving Mayhem, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Last Days Here, so something along those lines would be great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yaws posted:

Just saw The Room for the first time and I can't remember laughing so hard in my life. I was nearly in tears. Can I get some recommendations for "so bad they're good" movies? I know they're hard to come by (and define) which is why I'm asking here. Kinda worried that The Room is the best bad movie and I've spoiled myself. I've see Troll 2 and Birdemic.

Thankskilling is a must.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

big business sloth posted:

Thankskilling is fun but it's definitely aware of its own camp.

Thankskilling 3, on the other hand, is a profoundly bizarre film.

I agree. Both are fun though. Also check out Poultrygeist.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for movies similar to Hesher?

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 16, 2013

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vogler posted:

Has there been any good war movies lately? I'm looking for a present for my brother, and he adores Black Hawk Down, Generation: Kill, etc. He also likes Jason Bourne-type action movies.

Act of Valor was pretty good if you're into those types of movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

What are the best of the Saw-likes (group of people forced to compete in insane guy's game for their life)?

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the topic.

Hostel
Hostel: Part II
Hostel: Part III (laughably bad)
Cube
Frontier(s)
Martyrs
Vile
Are You Scared?
Any of the Texas Chainsaw Mssacre movies.
the Guinea Pig series
A Serbian Film kinda fits the bill too.
August Underground, August Underground's Mordum, and August Underground's Penance
all have elements of people being forced to do things by insane people.
Rest Stop
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
Megan Is Missing (One of the shittiest movies you will ever watch, please avoid it at all costs. Figured I'd throw it in in case you are really desperate.
The Bunny Game
The Human Centipede: First Sequence
The Human Centipede: Part II: Full Sequence
Philosophy of a Knife

All of these have elements of people being captured against their will, forced to compete against each other, forced to do things against their will, or otherwise being imprisoned or tortured. Not all of them are going to be exactly like Saw but ALL of them have some of the same elements as the Saw series.

Hope this helped. Enjoy!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

No problem dude, be sure to report back what you think and if you need more suggestions! Be aware that a lot of the movies on the list will have a lot more extreme content than Saw. Don't want you to go into them thinking that they are as tame as Saw.

Starscream posted:

Except for the fourth one (with McConaughey and Zelwegger) which should not be watched under any circumstance!

True. Please do not watch that one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cube
Martyrs
Vile
Are You Scared?
Any of the Texas Chainsaw Mssacre movies.
A Serbian Film kinda
Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door
Megan Is Missing (One of the shittiest movies you will ever watch, please avoid it at all costs. Figured I'd throw it in in case you are really desperate.
The Bunny Game
Philosophy of a Knife

These are the ones from the list that have psychological fuckery. Some of them are still pretty nasty but will definitely have that element that you are going for.

I would also like to suggest Berberian Sound Studio. It basically fits your bill perfectly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even Xandoom is repulsed by Megan Is Missing.

It truly is one of the most atrocious pieces of filmmaking I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. And I'm an August Undergroud fan. Seriously. Just avoid MiM at all costs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Quincyh posted:

Can anyone recommend comedies that are actually, you know, funny? I haven't seen a comedy I've enjoyed in ages to the point where I actively avoided them this year. I liked Dodgeball and Galaxy Quest, Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang... Anchorman was pretty good, Cabin in the Woods was fun. Any suggestions?

Clerks
Goon
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
Spinal Tap

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recomend a couple movies similar to Wristcutters: A Love Story? I'm kinda looking for that drama and or comedy with elements of suicide/depression. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have not but will definitely check it out. Thank you!

I also watched It's Kind of A Funny Story and that is also along the lines of things that I am looking for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone!

Parkingtigers posted:

About a Boy.

I tried to watch this but I cannot stand Hugh Grant.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

n4lrah posted:

Go watch Let Me In (2010), do it naaaoo

If youre into vampire stuff etc, this is a pretty solid movie. Remake of the Swedish original version. Worth the time.

I loving love this movie. It is better than the original, but they're both great. Chloe Moretz is great! Now I need to rewatch it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some good dark/gothic movies with tons of style? Think like The Lost Boys or The Crow.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I want to watch some films with crazy costumes after watching Eurovision last night. I got a real Fifth Element vibe from the presenters and some of the acts. So, either S/F films where the designers have gone wild, or anything else where the clothing is unusual or significant in conveying the atmosphere of the film.

A lot of Tim Burton's movies (Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc), have a lot of interesting/goofy character design, if not specifically clothing (though sometimes).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for some really gritty, dark, depraved movies. NOT in like a gross out way, I'm not looking for like Human Centipede type stuff, but more stuff that just leaves you feeling exhausted and soulless by the end of it. Stuff along the lines of Prisoners, Zodiac, The Road, The Bunny Game, Out of the Furnace, etc.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Once again, Lynch's Inland Empire, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, especially the first two. You'll definitely feel exhausted and soulless.

Se7en, since you've already seen Fincher's best movie.

The Machinist.

I'll check those out for sure, Eraserhead is one of my favorite movies but I've never seen any of Lynch's other work. Thanks

Do I need to watch the Twin Peaks tv show before the movie?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the reccomendations everyone

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey guys, I'm looking for movies featuring white trash. From Deliverance to Trailer Park Boys I wanna know your best white trash movies. Thanks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

With Sons finishing up I'm looking for some more crime dramas about motorcycle clubs/gangs. Movie or TV, thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ok, since autumn is setting in I could use me some good homey family food movies. Some films in this category I've seen and loved:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

What're some more good ones? They don't have to be turn of the last century but I do enjoy that era. Something about the subject of large-house-keeping is really interesting to me.

My Dinner With Andre doesn't quite fit the bill, but it works in a sense.

I also always consider Groundhog Day and What About Bob to be my go to "snuggle up in the cold weather for some family fun" movies. Again, not quite what you're looking for but they have similar vibes to them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Everblight posted:

What about that Ryan Reynolds movie where he is literally in a tiny box the entire film? Buried?

On that note, Locke with Tom Hardy takes place entirely in a car I think.

• Locked thread