Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is a bit of an odd request, but rewatching Once Upon a Time in the West made me realize that it and True Grit are the only Westerns I know of which feature interesting female characters. Most women in Westerns seem to be love interests or damsels in distress, if they are present at all. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some Westerns with a more nuanced portrayal of women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Johnny Guitar. Meek's Cutoff.

Parachute posted:

The Quick and the Dead

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Blazing Saddles.

GimpChimp posted:

McCabe & Mrs Miller, and Deadwood if you're up for a TV series (and haven't seen it).

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll be sure to check them all out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's the most obvious choice imaginable, but Singing in the Rain has a pretty iconic rain scene.

Other films with memorable rain are The Seven Samurai, Unforgiven, Blade Runner, Sorcerer, Se7en, Dumbo and The Perfect Storm.

Joke answer: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I have a recommendation request which is fairly specific but I think still has plenty of scope. I'm looking for good older films (let's say pre-1965) that aren't Westerns, Musicals, Detective noirs, or anything that is epic or particularly long. Horror films, comedies, romances, and smaller-scale dramas are a-ok. Bonus points if your films are well regarded and may have a cult following, but aren't super well known canon films.

Check out the silent films thread. Lots of great recommendations, both well-known and obscure.

How do you feel about animated films? There are some great works from the 40s and 50s that are relatively unknown, but I don't know how interesting they'd be for anyone who doesn't care much about the history of the medium.

That's a great list, but does it have to be completely bolded?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's not completely bolded - only the movie titles are. I typically bold movie titles in this forum. Once upon a time you did too.

Bolding film titles in sentences makes sense, it just looks a bit weird when there's nothing but film titles. Not that it really matters, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

What are good historical or mythological epics? Bonus points if they don't star Charlton Heston.

Lawrence of Arabia, Kubrick's Spartacus, the 1925 version of Ben Hur, Cleopatra (or failing that Asterix and Cleopatra), Braveheart, Gone with the Wind, King of Kings, Doctor Zhivago, Jason and the Argonauts, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and Reds.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Joakim Brecht posted:

I'm looking for films where voice-over is used in an interesting way. Not just for exposition, but as an autonomous, enriching level of narrative. Any suggestions?

The Informant is the best example I can think of.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Post-apocalyptic films in general seem to deliver on that front. The entire Mad Max trilogy thrives on its unique character designs.

Or if you're looking for something different, check out Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

bowser posted:

What are some good slice-of-life films? I'm thinking in the vein of anything by Richard Linklater and also the Japanese movie Linda Linda Linda. Movies that are generally low-stakes but have good dialogue.

Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage, which was a big inspiration to Linklater when he worked on Before Midnight. It originally started as a TV series and was later condensed into a feature film. Both versions are worth watching, though I slightly prefer the film for its pacing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

MrSmokes posted:

Looking for some movies where isolation is a major theme, or plays a role in the plot at some point. Cast Away, Moon, The Shining, The Thing, 2001 are some of my favorites that involve this. Bonus points if it's about just one person being in isolation, or reaches a point where there's one person left and then the movie follows just that last person for a while. I'm looking for something closest to Cast Away (any suggestion is great though.) Just something quiet that lets you focus on the person and think about their mindset and whatnot.

Sean Penn's Into the Wild, based on the real story of Christopher McCandless, who ventured into the Alaskan wilderness to get away from society.

It's not like any of the films you listed in your post, but there's also a documentary by Alexander Sokurov called A Humble Life, which follows an old woman living by herself in a remote mountain village. Very insightful and beautifully shot, but it demands a lot of patience from the viewer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You might enjoy Clue, Le Dīner de Cons, Rope, Gosford Park and Peter Seller's The Party.

Edit: Le Dīner de Cons also had an US remake with Steve Carell, called Dinner for Schmucks, but I don't know how good that is.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why use 1700 as the cut-off point?

In any case, the Shakespeare thread has a lot of good recommendations. Other good options are Man of La Mancha for Don Quixote, Fritz Lang's two parter Die Niebelungen and Murnau's Faust.

There's also a ton of films centered on Greek and Roman legends, but I haven't seen too many of them. The only one I could really recommend is Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, which is excellent, but more of a loose retelling than a completely faithful adaptation.

I do remember that penismightier posted a lot of films centred on the Battle of Troy in the General Chat thread a while back, so he'd probably have some more recommendations for you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

twitter and bisted posted:

What is Orson Welles best work?

Citizen Kane is the usual answer to that question, but The Magnificent Ambersons, Touch of Evil and F for Fake are up there as well. Personally, I'd go for F for Fake simply because it's a really unique experience and so much fun to watch.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

speshl guy posted:

A courtroom drama/thriller in the vein of A Few Good Men/The Lincoln Lawyer with lots of twists and intrigue. Really been on a binge lately.

Anatomy of a Murder

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shoot me some really good french language films. It seems pretty darn likely at this point that I'll be going to school in montreal so I'd like to get immersed in the language a bit.

TV shows are also acceptable, if you know of any.

edit: oh wait there is a language sub-forum that I totally missed.

In addition to everything that's already been mentioned, I'd recommend La Haine, Au revoir les enfants, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, Le roman de Renard and all the animated Asterix films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Based on your description, it sounds like you would really enjoy Soderbergh's The Informant.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Laverna posted:

Can I get a recommendation for something to watch with my mum?

She doesn't really like films with graphic sex or violence, so something Rom-Commy or feel-good is more what I'm looking for.

There's a lot of good rom-coms to choose from. Off the top of my head:

Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
Love Actually
Notting Hill
As Good as It Gets

If your mum doesn't mind black-and-white films, It Happened One Night is also worth watching.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I definitely agree with Slaapaav. Lawrence of Arabia is a gorgeous film, and it received one of the best blu-ray transfers I've seen.

Other suggestions:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Ben Hur
The Godfather Trilogy
North by Northwest
Seven Samurai
The Wizard of Oz (less epic in scope, but very colourful and an amazing transfer)
Anything from Disney, Pixar, or Ghibli (animated films in general greatly benefit from the HD upgrade)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Bad obvious answers: AI, Chappie, I, Robot

But all of your bad answers are actually good answers. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Eyes Without a Face and Anatomy are the first two that come to mind. Re-Animator is also good if you want something more gory and comedic. Marathon Man isn't quite what you're looking for, but it does have a very memorable dentist scene.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There are a lot of great options to choose from. The Young Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, and the original Drunken Master are my favourites of his early films. The fight choreography isn't as fantastic as in some of his later works, but they're still a lot of fun to watch, and the sheer amount of abuse Jackie's body takes in them is insane.

From the 80s, you have Armour of God (Indiana Jones with martial arts), Project A (pirates), Police Story (cops), and my personal favourite, Wheels on Meals (fast food business). There's also Dragons Forever, which overall isn't quite as good as the others, but is worth watching for the incredible final fight. And Miracles is fun if you want to see him in something that's less focused on action.

You've already seen his best work from the 90s, but Who Am I is extremely good as well.

If you want more suggestions, check out the martial arts thread. There's quite a few knowledgeable posters there who can help you out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is a classic, mostly because of the special effects work done by Harryhausen. From the same time period, you also have the original Clash of the Titans and the imho underrated Dragonslayer.

If you're looking for something a bit more contemporary, Aronofsky's Noah is really good, and Avatar has its moments.

As for animated films, Disney's The Black Cauldron isn't exactly great, but it has enough interesting elements to warrant a watch.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't know what this is in reference to, but I agree.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hamlet's uncle does marry Hamlet's mother, so it ends up being patricide after all. They didn't include that in The Lion King, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What are some good films about big families? Maybe films that follow a family through multiple generations, or show how the influence and personalities of grandparents and parents influence children and grandchildren? Big family gathering movies are always good - I know there's a billion of these but I just can't think of any.

Buddenbrooks
Fanny and Alexander
Star Wars

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh, man, yeah, I love F&A but I haven't heard of Buddenbrooks, definitely more stuff like that would be awesome.

If you're not averse to TV series, you could try out The Forsyte Saga, The Thorn Birds, or Downtown Abbey, which also cover the fate of a single family over multiple decades. It's something that's probably hard to pull off in a single feature film due to time constraints.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's a good place to start with African cinema?

My knowledge of African cinema is abysmal, but I'd recommend checking out the Senegalese film La Noire de.../Black Girl. It's an interesting examination of the relationship between France and its former colony Senegal, and it clocks in at a lean sixty minutes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oliver Reed posted:

Looking for horror films that feel nightmarish and where reality and dreams/fantasy clash--what's real is not clear. Stuff along the lines of Jacob's Ladder, Hellraiser (specifically Inferno), Silent Hill, etc..

Orson Welles' The Trial

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ip Man 3 came out this year, though I haven't had a chance to see it yet. The previous two films are sort of a mixed bag, but the action was well-choreographed. And if nothing else, Donnie Yen facing off against Mike Tyson sounds like a treat.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Despite being a fan of musicals in general, I somehow never got around to seeing a single Fred Astaire film. What would be a good starting point for an uncultured boor like me?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My absolute favorite is Vincente Minelli's The Band Wagon.

I'll check it out, thanks. Is that the one which inspired Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Teflon Don posted:

I'm looking for any films featuring conflict between a father/male figure and a wayward son/brother, a la American History X

Rebel Without a Cause
The Royal Tenenbaums
Big Fish
Life as a House

Also, this scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Based on your description, it sounds like you might enjoy film adaptations of dialogue-heavy stage plays. Check out Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The 1956 adaptation of Moby Dick, the first Pirates of the Caribbean (and possibly the second and third film as well, depending on your tolerance for wacky Depp), Life of Pi

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

All of those are worth watching. But if you're short on time, the ones you definitely shouldn't miss are Saving Private Ryan and Munich.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's real good

disclaimer: the last time i saw it i was a 14-year-old neo-nazi

As someone who is neither 14 years old nor a neo-nazi, I can confirm that Die Nibelungen is indeed excellent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If I understand your request correctly, you might like John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Jupiter Ascending, or Pan. Or are you looking for something a bit less recent?

Alris posted:

I can never keep straight whether White House Down is the good one or Olympus Has Fallen, although I suspect it's the former. Which is the superior action film?

White House Down is the good one. Or the better one, at any rate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Teflon Don posted:

I'm looking for schlock. Tons of it.

Come join us in the horror thread. Enough schlock to last you a lifetime.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There are a ton of those either made during or set in the Great Depression. Check out Make Way for Tomorrow, The Purple Rose of Cairo (a bit more light-hearted), The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Wild Boys of the Road, or I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.

Roemer's Nothing But a Man is excellent as well and illustrates the interrelation between race and class. If you want something a bit more recent, you could try Matewan or the original Rocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

WWI got all the good films: Paths of Glory, Lawrence of Arabia, All Quiet on the Western Front, La Grande Illusion. No wonder they called it the Great War.

• Locked thread