Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm having a Day From Hell at work, so sorry for the quick answers.

Jay Dub posted:

Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

Edit: VVVVVVV That was actually the film I was thinking of when I typed this. It's an excellent movie, but are there any others like it?

Kanal
Fires on the Plain
Shame

As someone else said, The Thin Red Line. There's really a whole bunch of them, it depends on what you want in a war film.

Binowru posted:

Recommend me films for someone who really, really loves brutal satire and black humor, but doesn't know any examples other than Dr. Strangelove and Network.

The Americanization of Emily
A Face in the Crowd
Ace in the Hole
Songs from the Second Floor
You, the Living

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

The Exterminating Angel
What Happened Was
Wait Until Dark
Closet Land
Dial M for Murder
Rope
Rear Window
Arsenic and Old Lace
Secret Honor
My Dinner With Andre
Swimming to Cambodia/Monster in a Box/Gray's Anatomy/Terrors of Pleasure
Glengarry Glen Ross

DiscoJ posted:

EDIT: I'd like to be recommended films which contain interesting takes on the future. That's really general but what I'm interested in seeing covers films such as The Matrix, Ultraviolet, Equilibrium, Children of Men, Sunshine, The Gene Generation, Barbarella, Idiocracy, Babylon A.D., Starship Troopers, etc. basically any film that focuses on a 'possible' (if extremely unlikely) way that the world might develop in the coming years.

Sex Mission
Code 46
THX 1138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Journalism/Newsroom movies? Stuff like All the President's Men, Zodiac, Shattered Glass, and season five of 'The Wire.'

I think Network goes without saying. Also Ace in the Hole. Sweet Smell of Success is one of my all-time favorites (but not really about journalism so much).

Some others:
Absence of Malice
Reds
Z
The Killing Fields
Good Night, and Good Luck
Broadcast News

On the lighter side:
His Girl Friday
Libeled Lady
Roman Holiday

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 3, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Somehow I've gone this long without seeing Network. It just always looked/sounded really preachy to me.

I don't think it's preachy at all. It's loving brilliant, go get it now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

eatenmyeyes posted:

Please recommend movies that improve drastically when viewed with commentary. I saw Superman IV on Saturday and the person doing the voice-over opened with an apology that continued through the entire ordeal.

C.H.U.D.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the posted:

Try this thread.

And this one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Could CineD recommend me some musicals?

My favorites:

Singin' in the Rain
42nd Street
Meet Me in St. Louis
One Hour With You
An American In Paris
Love Me Tonight
Pakeezah
Cabaret
Lagaan
The Happiness of the Katakuris

Some that Criticker has classified as musicals, but aren't really musicals in the sense that most people think of them:

The Hole (a.k.a Dong)
All That Jazz
The Wicker Man
Linda Linda Linda
The Wayward Cloud
The Blues Brothers
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
Artists and Models
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Donkey Skin
The Roe's Room
Quadrophenia

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

northerain posted:

Any movies taking place in Alaska or similar, like:
The Thing
30 Days of Night
Thaw

There are countless Scandanavian films worthy of attention, but I assume you're looking more for the extreme weather setting.

Herzog's Antarctic documentary Encounters at the End of the World is a must-see. Most of Grizzly Man takes place in Alaska too, IIRC, but mostly in the summertime.

Atanarjuat is a bit overrated, but as the first Eskimo-language film, it has some cultural significance. Also Flaherty's classic semi-documentary Nanook of the North.

Runaway Train has some flaws, but overall it's pretty good. The Alaskan weather plays a big part in it. Based on a Kurosawa screenplay.

And of course, there's always March of the Penguins.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zas posted:

I would really love to see a good movie set in a Deli, is that possible?

A lot of God Does Not Believe In Us Anymore takes place in a deli, but it doesn't really make a difference.

How about a noodle shop? Tampopo.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MisterFister posted:

I'm looking for more great Cold War era Russian cinema. I've seen Solaris, Stalker, Kin-Dza-Dza!, and Come and See. I loved them all and was wondering what else to watch! Thanks!

Since you've already started with Tarkovsky, check out Nostalghia, Ivan's Childhood and The Mirror.

Also:
The Cranes Are Flying
The Letter Never Sent
I Am Cuba
Ballad of a Soldier
Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors
The Color of Pomegranates
The Ascent
Wings
Gypsies Are Found Near Heaven

qwako posted:

I would love to watch something similar to Dirty Pretty Things, such a good film.

Similar in what way? A few that are similar in tone:

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
The Lives of Others
The Lovers on the Bridge

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trump posted:

I don't know if this falls a little outside what this thread is about, but here goes.

I'm looking for more behind the scenes docus in same vein as The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, The Beginning: Making Episode I or Lost in La Mancha.

Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Burden of Dreams (Fitzcarraldo)
Dangerous Days (Blade Runner)
American Movie (Northwestern/Coven)

Kinda hard to recommend... many major films have an extensive making-of on the DVD.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What are some movies with well-executed first-person segments? Off the top of my head all I can think of is the SQUID recordings from Strange Days, Doom's last big firefight, and the Evil Dead trilogy.

The entire first half of Dark Passage is first-person. I guess it's well-executed, but as a gimmick it gets old after a while.

Russian Ark is entirely first-person, and one take. It's impressive, although the subject matter is rather dry.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jay Dub posted:

Monty Python's The Life of Brian is another great example. It's respectful toward Christ himself, but thoroughly lampoons the way religious symbols, messages, and miracles are manufactured. And then it's still funny as hell.

This is probably the best possible answer, but I'll also add Twist of Faith. It's a documentary and there's nothing funny about it, but it's both critical and supportive of religion.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Seconding Man Without a Past. I love how it handles amnesia in a very matter-of-fact manner.

Alain Resnais deals with memory frequently in his work. Most notably (and effectively) in Last Year at Marienbad, but also in Je T'aime Je T'aime, Muriel, Hiroshima Mon Amour, and Providence.

Some others worth checking out:
After Life
Distant Voices, Still Lives
La Jetee
Solaris
(both versions)
The Mirror
Synecdoche, New York
Johnny Got His Gun
3 Women

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Looking for recommendations of slow, minimalist asian films similar to Kim Ki-Duk's work. I'm a huge fan of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring and 3-Iron in particular. Anything like either of those would probably be up my alley.

I have a bunch of them, but first I'll point you to this thread. Most of the selections would be classified as slow and minimalist (primarily the last 4). Try to see some before next week so you can join the discussion.

vvv edit: that's a good one. You might also like Ratanaruang's Ploy and Invisible Waves, although neither is as good as Last Life. 6ixtynin9 is my favorite, but it's not very slow or meditative.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

crime fighting hog posted:

E: also I figure I'll ask here because I can't remember the name of it. It's a movie about this guy's mother who's been in a coma for nearly a decade or more in East Berlin. She wakes up so he has to try and hide the fact that the wall came down because the shock would kill her. Anyone know?

Goodbye Lenin

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

angryhampster posted:

Can someone recommend me some quality documentaries? I'd prefer something fun rather than morbid. Perhaps something along the lines of King Of Kong?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184270

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

What are some suicidally depressing movies, like Scenes from a Marriage?

El Norte
Shoah
I Stand Alone
Black Rain
(Imamura, not Scott)
Threads
Testament
When the Wind Blows
Grave of the Fireflies
The Human Condition trilogy
Sansho the Bailiff
Fires on the Plain
Kanal
Dodesukaden
Obaltan
Mouchette
Vidas Secas
Pelle the Conqueror
Ashani Sanket
Inheritance
This Sporting Life
Salaam Bombay

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NoSleepTillBedtime posted:

Can anyone recommend any murder/mystery/"dark" movies set in Victorian times? I just read "From Hell" and thought the movie was semi-so-so but was digging the sets & costumes. Hmmm?

You might like Gothic

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My favorite noirs:

Double Indemnity
Sweet Smell of Success
The Third Man
Notorious
The Night of the Hunter
Shadow of a Doubt
Nightmare Alley
Bad Day at Black Rock
Gilda
The Killing
The Stranger
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Asphalt Jungle
The Lady from Shanghai
Gun Crazy
Laura
Murder, My Sweet
Touch of Evil

There's a lot more I could name, but I'm particularly fond of the genre.

As for neo-noir/foreign noir:

Blade Runner
Shoot the Piano Player
Les Diaboliques
Stray Dog
Chinatown
Le Samourai
Blood Simple
L.A. Confidential
The Grifters
The Last Seduction
Blue Velvet
Dark City
The Man Who Wasn't There
House of Games

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Carbon Thief posted:

Can someone suggest some good movies about the Yakuza? I'm thinking the equivalent of The Godfather but something that's just an action flick with Yakuza as characters is cool too.

Sonatine
Hana-bi (Fireworks)
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Yakuza Graveyard
Sympathy for the Underdog
Youth of the Beast
Tattooed Life

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thehandtruck posted:

1) Which of those movies FitFortDanga posted is the best? Or where should I start? Oh and I've seen Tokyo Drifter, I liked it a lot.

Since you liked TD, I suggest the other Suzuki films... Youth of the Beast, Tattooed Life and especially Branded to Kill. Out of the rest that I listed, Yakuza Graveyard is the best of the straight-up yakuza films. Sonatine and Hana-bi by Takeshi Kitano are more postmodern yakuza, very well-done but maybe more low-key and introspective than what you're looking for.

thehandtruck posted:

2) This might be slightly harder to answer but there's a song by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers called Afrique and all I can picture in the beginning of the song is a really intense foot chase in a rainy street with lots of shots half showing corners and half showing the street the chaser is coming down. Are there any movies that are heavy in this kind of jazz that are film noir. I've asked this question to some adults who like film noir and they recommended me good movies, but the jazz in them was smooth boring jazz, didn't have the intensity I was looking for in the movie or in the soundtrack.

Check out Elevator to the Gallows, a French noir with a terrific Miles Davis score.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

Also, do any movies exist that are centred primarily on an interrogation, but not with physical torture, more the mental kind of thing.

Closet Land is exactly what you're looking for.

edit: looks like the whole movie is on YouTube.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Regression posted:

What are some good/great/classic movies that have loneliness as a theme? Nothing really comes to my mind, but I'm sure there must be plenty.

Everything by Ming-liang Tsai.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Silver Newt posted:

Are there any interesting films or documentaries about the film industry? I've just finished watching The Cutting Edge - The Magic Of Movie Editing and I want to find more films about the biz.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
The Player
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Entourage (tv series)
Bowfinger
Cinemania
Funny People
Get Shorty
What Just Happened
Barton Fink

...all of which I've seen and enjoyed, but can't think of any more to add to my Lovefilm list.

poo poo, we had a whole thread about this a while ago, but I dunno where it is now.

Day for Night
8 1/2
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
Burden of Dreams
Who's Camus Anyway?
Lost in La Mancha
Sunset Blvd.
Cinema Paradiso (I actually don't like this much, but a lot of people do)
Singin' in the Rain
American Movie
Hearts of Darkness
Ed Wood
Irma Vep
Symbiotaxiplasm
The Kid Stays in the Picture
Adaptation
Close-Up

I know there's a bunch I'm not thinking of.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

hook me up with some war movies. STOP what you are thinking, i've probably seen most all good movies i'm looking for something that i haven't seen.

That's not very helpful. For all we know, you could think that "most all good movies" consists of Saving Private Ryan, Platoon and Apocalypse Now.

Here are some that I hope you haven't seen. If you have, well, sorry to waste your time. I'll try to skip the more obvious ones. A lot of these are more about war in a larger sense rather than battle scenes and whatnot, but you weren't very specific.

Fires on the Plain
Devils on the Doorstep
Shame
The Red and the White
Kanal
Wooden Crosses
Paisa
Overlord
Ballad of a Soldier
Ivan's Childhood
The Dam Busters
The Cruel Sea
Human Condition I,II,III
The Americanization of Emily

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Silver Newt posted:

I've already seen Adaptation and Ed Wood - but most of the others are new to me, so that's my next few films planned - thanks.

Just so you don't get confused, I hosed up one of the titles. It's Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, not Symbiotaxiplasm.

bonus description from Criterion:

In his one-of-a-kind fiction/documentary hybrid Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One, director William Greaves presides over a beleaguered film crew in New York’s Central Park, leaving them to try to figure out what kind of movie they’re making. A couple enacts a break-up scenario over and over, a documentary crew films a crew filming the crew, locals wander casually into the frame: the project defies easy description. Yet this wildly innovative sixties counterculture landmark remains one of the most tightly focused and insightful movies ever made about making movies.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SuperSlacker posted:

-I'm looking for atmospheric movies set in Japan. Something like the atmosphere in the movie Lost in Translation, with or without a similar theme.

You want some Shunji Iwai. Check out All About Lily Chou-Chou and Love Letter.

Some others:
Tony Takitani
Sonatine
Fireworks (Hana-bi)
Still Walking
Labyrinth of Dreams
A Gentle Breeze in the Village
Rainbow Song

Maybe also Last Life in the Universe. It's a Thai movie set in Thailand, but the star (Tadanobu Asano, who's in just about everything) is Japanese.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dekko posted:

Are there any good movies about the Spanish Civil War?

They're more indirectly about the Spanish Civil War, but Spirit of the Beehive and Cria Cuervos are both excellent. And then there's Pan Labyrinth, but I recommend seeing the other two first.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

I'm mostly just looking for stuff that might have slipped by my radar. I guess that's what I mean by low-budget, stuff that might have seen one or two theaters or whatever. I've seen most of the classics, so I'm looking for more contemporary stuff.

Save the Green Planet? Code 46?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Chinaski posted:

I recently watched Machine Girl, an over-the-top ultra-violent Japanese movie.

Gore has loss its appeal to me but I liked the way they did in that movie because it was unrealistic to the effect that it became comedic.

Can I get recommendations for similar movies? I've seen Dead Alive and loved it.

I'd say the obvious choice is Takashi Miike. Especially Ichi the Killer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

Perhaps you all can assist me. My favorite movies are all lingering, stark, stylistic, psychological films (Bela Tarr's "Damnation", many of Bergman, Tarkovsky's "Solyaris" and "Stalker"), and I would love to discover a new director with this sort of powerful niche. I've been hearing a lot about Michael Haneke lately, and I didn't realize he did "Funny Games," which was pretty good, but apparently not his usual style.

So, anybody who can recommend me a methodical, slow, stylized, philosophical journey would be my friend immediately.

These are some of my favorite kind of movies as well.

The Bothersome Man
Syndromes and a Century
What Time Is It There?
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone
The Conformist
Mother and Son
You, the Living
Last Year at Marienbad
Three Colors: Blue
(the whole trilogy is good, but Blue most suits what you're looking for)
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Innocence
Woman in the Dunes
The Beautiful Washing Machine
Safe
Red Desert
Rosetta

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I've been very interested in French films made since 2000 (A Prophet, Cache, Mesrine: Part 1 - Death Instinct) and I've seen a few others from Germany, The Netherlands and Sweden. I'm looking for films in the action, drama, thriller or crime genres. Anything you think is worth checking out.

So, are you looking for films from France, or any French language films, or anything European at all?

oceanside posted:

The second-tier of the request is because of the recent love I've developed for Balkan films. I've watched a lot of Emir Kusturica and some other great movies (Bal-Can-Can, Tockovi). So I'm looking for requests along those lines too.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Distant (Uzak)
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
12:08 East of Bucharest
I Even Met Happy Gypsies
(especially if you like Kusturica)
Before the Rain
Eternity and a Day

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for any European films, in any language.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!
I'm sure there was a thread about French film specifically a while back. I had a look 20 pages back in the archives for 2009 but had no look. So if anyone has that bookmarked it would be awesome if you could give me the link.

I can't recall a thread about French films in general. There might have been a French New Wave thread, but of course that wouldn't cover 2000-present.

So, ANY European films from the past 10 years, huh?

Werckmeister Harmonies
The Bothersome Man
Innocence
Saraband
The Man from London
Talk to Her
A Very Long Engagement
L'Enfant
The Man Without a Past
Bad Education
In the Mood for Love
Revanche
The Consequences of Love
Fat Girl
The Counterfeiters
The Inheritance
The Tunnel
Volver

I excluded UK films, assuming you'd probably be familiar with most of them. Also left off some of the more obvious ones like Amelie and Downfall.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

regulargonzalez posted:

I accept that Russia is somehow considered European, but I don't think even the most liberal of interpretations can place Hong Kong in Europe ;)

That said, Wong Kar Wai's entire catalog should be mandatory watching for anyone who likes movies.

Ha ha, whoops. Wasn't thinking there, those slipped in when I did my Criticker filter by country. Probably French financing or something.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So many movies can be said to have a "dreamlike" atmosphere that it's pretty hard to narrow down. But I'll throw some out there that I like, probably forgetting dozens of others:

The Bothersome Man
The Trial
Dreams That Money Can Buy
Ten Nights of Dreams
Dreams
(Akira Kurosawa)
Un Chien Andalou
L'Age d'Or
3 Women
8 1/2
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Inland Empire
Cat Soup
Mind Game
Hausu
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango
Damnation
Woman in the Dunes
Even Dwarfs Started Small
You, the Living
Stalker
The Mirror
Delicatessen
The Beautiful Washing Machine
Kwaidan
The Saragossa Manuscript
Persona
The Silence
Santa Sangre
El Topo
Valerie and her Week of Wonders

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mung Dynasty posted:

Can y'all suggest some films with a broody, quiet, badass male lead that's legitimately cool and/or engaging and not like Vin Diesel or some vampire anime fag. Something like Michael Corelone from The Godfather, or to a somewhat lesser extent, Nikolai from Eastern Promises. Any genre will do, but some sort of action, thriller, crime drama, or anything else lending itself to tense moments would be great.

Murder By Contract
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Night of the Hunter
Touchez pas au grisbi
Sonatine

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Flutch posted:

Looking for films that are similar to Godard's Weekend.

You should probably just stick to more Godard, there's not a whole lot out there like him. If you like Weekend, these might appeal to you:

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
Made in USA
Pierrot le Fou
Contempt
Masculin, Feminin
Tout Va Bien
Vivre Sa Vie
A Woman Is a Woman
Le Petit Soldat
Les Carabiniers

You might also like William Klein's stuff, especially Who Are You, Polly Maggoo?.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

Doesn't The Maltese Falcon take place there as well?

There's a bunch of San Francisco noir, it's right behind LA and NY.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

Apologies, I don't particularly care about the type of movie, just a film with a lot of exteriors showing the city off.

The Lineup has a lot of great location shots, and is a kickass movie to boot.

If you don't mind something terribly :smith: then The Bridge really shows off the GG Bridge beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

You might find this list helpful, too.

You know, I've seen Harold & Maude about a dozen times and I don't think it ever registered that it was set in San Francisco. Or maybe I just forgot. I'm not very observant sometimes.

• Locked thread