Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Please recommend some neo-noir thrillers where the hero is completely out of his element with the odds horribly against him, and the more he finds out and the deeper he digs, the more hosed he is. I love it when these take a supernatural or just plain weird turn, or any kind of supernatural or horror/noir hybrids at all. So far I have enjoyed Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, In the Mouth of Madness, Constantine, Oldboy, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks (the series and the Fire Walk With Me movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dark City is in my all-time top ten favorites, I also love Brazil, I keep meaning to see Big Lebowski again (haven't seen it since it came out), and now that I'm a Twin Peaks junkie, I also need to give Blue Velvet a new viewing. All great choices, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In addition to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, try The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, 500 Days of Summer, Away We Go, and Role Models. Definitely not Tropic Thunder.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking for movies that gradually build a really creepy atmosphere/setting/characters. Movies that drop scattered hints that Something Is Not Quite Right that grow more frequent that leaves the realization of the full scope of how hosed up it is until the end of the film or even until reflection upon the film afterwards. Can someone help me out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of specific examples of what I mean - Audition did the slow burn build up really well and Dark City (the director's cut at least with the awful expository monologue cut out) was good at letting you know things were weird without telling you precisely how. Am I describing what I mean properly?

Try David Lynch's Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, although you probably won't appreciate the latter if you haven't watched the entire series. However, the series has quite a bit of building creepy weirdness to it too.

Also, David Mamet's House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner aren't creepy, but they sure do build up to big, hosed-up surprises.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Any recommendations for dark or gritty movies with an unreliable narrator? Something along the lines of Memento, Identity, Jacob's Ladder, or The Usual Suspects. And preferably smaller films - if it's something well-known or by a big name director, odds are I've seen it.

Available on Netlix Streaming would be a bonus.

I love all the films you named, so I'll throw out Lost Highway, Angel Heart, The Machinist, and Pi, even though you've probably seen them already.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

oceanside posted:

I'm feeling like some mindless violence right now. What are some movies with slick, cool and calculated assassins? In the vein of Leon and Lucky Number Slevin.

Also, do any movies exist that are centred primarily on an interrogation, but not with physical torture, more the mental kind of thing.

It's probably obvious, but The Usual Suspects is set during an interrogation in the present, broken up by flashbacks to various events in the past being discussed. Also, while it's a very small part of the movie, L.A. Confidential has my favorite criminal interrogation scene ever.

As for assassin movies, try The Killer by John Woo for one of the best and most stylish ever. For lighter fare that's still violent, of course there's Grosse Pointe Blank and Pulp Fiction.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

xThrasheRx posted:

I am looking for movies that has that dreamlike feeling,

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

there are probably a lot more examples that I have seen but I would appreciate tips to these kind of movies :)

Try more David Lynch: Lost Highway (my favorite), Inland Empire (which I couldn't get into), and the Twin Peaks series and movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The movie is a prequel, but I think it resonates more if watched after the series, since it came out afterwards. However, I think it stands okay on its own, too.

Also give eXistenZ a shot, a very weird David Cronenberg movie. I always thought it belonged in a film festival with Dark City, The 13th Floor, and a little movie called The Matrix, as all four share some similar themes. On that note, Dark City has everything you want and more. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

terrorist plumber posted:

I recently rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the nth time, and I absolutely love it. Are there any movies that are similar in terms of tone and style of comedy? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are In Bruges and Guy Ritchie's first two movies, which I also really like, although I'm sure there are more.

The Last Boy Scout is written by Shane Black (who wrote and directed Kiss Kiss), and while it is a much more conventional action movie than Kiss Kiss, it has some pretty funny one-liners and interplay between mismatched partners Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, as well as some good violence and badass moments.

If you like that, try The Long Kiss Goodnight, another Black-written action movie that teams up Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. It has some funny parts too, mostly thanks to Jackson.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Heist is a great Mamet film with more action than his typical fare. House of Games is harder to find and much lower-key than Glengarry, Heist, or The Spanish Prisoner, but it's definitely worth watching if you're a Mamet fan or "completist."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

I'd love to watch some movies with funky orchestral Lalo Schifrin-esque soundtracks (ala Dirty harry, Bullitt).

For reference :)

I don't think it was Lalo Schifrin (who is indeed awesome), but I was pleasantly surprised by the awesome '70s-style funky bombast of the Taking of Pelham One Two Three score. The original with Walter Matthau, of course!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I'm looking for a movie that explores the punk subculture and class/work, something in the same vain as Repo Man.

Any ideas?

Definitely SLC Punk, which has Matthew Lillard's best performance ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just watched Exam since I saw it mentioned a few posts back. It was ok, nothing spectacular, but decent enough. Anyway it's given me a taste for that style of "head trippy, sci-fi reveal movie". I can't really come up with a good description beyond that so I'll just list some good examples of the type of films I'm looking for below....

Bonus points for films that focus on the psychology of group dynamics and problem solving like Cube, Identity, etc.

Cube
Cypher
Moon
12 Monkeys
Time Crimes
Primer
The Machinist
Memento
Dark City
Donnie Darko
Vanilla Sky
Identity
The Prestige
Triangle

Any recommendations based on the above?
You've named some great movies, and I'll second eXistenZ and Pi. Also try The 13th Floor, which makes a great double-feature with Dark City, and The Illusionist, which pairs well with The Prestige. L.A. Confidential is the best film noir to come out in decades, and I'd definitely add it to your list as well. Also Following, Christopher Nolan's first movie, a neat little black and white neo-noir film.

If you don't mind a bit of horror, also try Angel Heart, In the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon, Session 9, and Silent Hill. All have really dark, creepy atmosphere and a few shocking reveals.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

conf t posted:

Might seem kind of an odd lot, but something like Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, City of God. I want strong imagery in dense, dingy urban landscapes.
Dark City! It's one of my all-time favorites, but if you have a choice, watch the Director's Cut.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

After seeing Dorothy Mills, I'm looking for movies that capture that feel of community hostility towards a stranger.
The first part of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me would fit perfectly. It's a prequel to the generally-great TV series, but meant to be watched afterward for full effect. After how inviting the town of Twin Peaks seemed and how nice most of its people were to the out-of-towner FBI agent in the series, the events in the movie serve as a very stark contrast.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Taped Crusader posted:

I also love really, really sharp comedies. Dark comedies are also great. In Bruges was hilarious, as was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, American Psycho, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch. One earlier poster used the phrase "blink-and-you'll-miss-it one-liners". I also adore the dialogue in Pulp Fiction, but really, who doesn't? That about covers it. Thanks for everything, goons.
Since you liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (as any right-thinking person should), you should try a pair of fun '90s movies from the same writer, Shane Black: The Last Boy Scout (an action-comedy buddy movie with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans) and The Long Kiss Goodnight (more of a straight action movie with Geena Davis being sexy and badass, but Samuel L. Jackson provides solid comic relief).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Femur posted:

Hey, fresh off of seeing Pirana, and I want to watch more man vs beast type of movies; but i am out of ideas on good ones.

I've seen and enjoyed to varying degrees,

Lake Placid
Deep Blue Sea
Anaconda - all of them
Tremor - Couldn't finish the 3rd
The Ruins - this counts right?
The Cave
Jaws
Eight Legged Freaks

I don't think I would enjoy Willard or Birds, is there anything else I might enjoy?

The Ghost and the Darkness. Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer as big game hunters in Africa tracking two man-eating lions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm about to sit down and watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I could use some other light teenage comedy recommendations. I've already seen Superbad and that genre of film is kind of what I'm looking for.

In fact they don't even have to be that genre. Just any good light comedy recommendations, preferably from the last 5 years give or take a few years. I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Hot Tub Time Machine, and Extract recently and they were all pretty funny and pretty much also the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Black Dynamite
Step Brothers
Hot Rod
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Knocked Up
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (more of an action/noir/buddy movie, but still hilarious)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

csidle posted:

I watched Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind recently, the former having become one of my all-time favourite movies. Are there any movies of the same vein you'd recommend?

Stranger Than Fiction (yes, with Will Ferrell) and Wristcutters: A Love Story are two clever, poignant, funny movies that go well with Eternal Sunshine. You might try Adaptation as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'll second this, it really does feel like a diet version of Charlie Kaufman's movies (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Synechdoch New York), which sounds like damning with faint praise but is actually pretty high praise for a Will Ferrel movie.

Ferrell does some of his best comedic work as a straight man, rather than as the ridiculous manchild he's played in too many recent films. Most of his best-loved characters on SNL were played relatively straight, including Alex Trebek and James Lipton. Along these lines, he turned in a fine dramatic performance in Stranger Than Fiction, which reminds me a lot of toned-down, dramatic Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xinlum posted:

I just signed up for Netflix today. After rating some movies it suggested Drunken Master starring a young Jackie Chan. I really liked it and want to watch some similar old school kung fu films. Anything like Drunken Master or the much more recent Kung Fu Hustle is the type of film I'm looking for.

Also, Netflix has World of Drunken Master (a sequel starring the old man instead of Jackie I think), Drunken Master 3 (no Jackie or old man), and Legend of Drunken Master (a more recent sequel to the first movie made in the 90s starring Jackie himself in the same role). Are any of them worth watching?

Legend of Drunken Master (originally known as Drunken Master 2) is one of the most outstanding and entertaining martial arts films I've ever seen. It really captures Jackie Chan at his best, I think.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

These Loving Eyes posted:

After playing a couple hours of Alan Wake I started to ache for proper storytelling in a same sort of setting. I'm mainly looking for something with quirky townsfolk, things (owls) not being what they seem and the usual stuff. On the other hand, I also love movies with just Alaska or Northwestern US as the setting. So, recommend me movies that either nail the eerie, introverted town feel, take place in the colder regions or both. :)

The ones I've seen this far have been Insomnia and The Pledge. I'm also interested in redneck stuff à la Deliverance.
Please tell us you've seen all of Twin Peaks! Other than that, there's the early '90s dramedy Northern Exposure (no creepiness, just quirky life in small-town Alaska) and the vampire movie 30 Days of Night.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sewer Cartographer posted:

I've always liked the atmosphere of movies set in 70's New York after dark.
Taxi Driver and The Warriors come to mind.
Are there any other movies you can recommend that have that same kind of feel to it?

One more Scorsese, Bringing Out the Dead. Made in 1999, but really recaptures that dirty, dangerous New York of the '70s. Ridley Scott's American Gangster works too, to a lesser extent.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm definitely seconding Jacob's Ladder. Also, add The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, and Silent Hill. Even Pandorum, for all of its flaws, really delivered the spooky atmosphere of a horror movie set on a big, creepy spaceship. It would be a good double-feature with Event Horizon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JaundiceDave posted:

Any recommendations for genuinely scary movies that don't depend on violence? Thinking of The Strangers and Session 9 as two examples I've seen recently.

I don't remember Jacob's Ladder being violent, but it is nightmarish and creepy (and very good).

Inland Empire isn't a horror movie by any means, but it is a long, difficult, disconcerting nightmare of a movie. There are some short moments of violence, but the overall mood of dread and not knowing what's going on is far more pervasive.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

Does anybody know any horror movies that focus on like, a dark occult underbelly of the world? Where its set in the normal world, but there's a lot of darkness going on underneath. I recently watched Lord of Illusions and completely loved it, and I suppose Hellraiser is almost in the same vein. So is Midnight Meat Train. Clive Barker seems to be the common denominator between those movies, so anything with similar themes that he uses.
It got a lot of poo poo, mostly for the horrible casting of the protagonist, but Constantine has a lot of really great qualities, and has everything you want in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Can you guys recommend some movies like Garden State(guilty pleasure), Swingers, Adventureland,basically movies about dating and relationships.Comedy/depressing,also none earlier than 1995.

In addition to the above ones, try Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Wristcutters: A Love Story (a virtually-unknown gem that's available on Netflix Instant), and for a little bit earlier than 1995, Singles and Say Anything (both by Cameron Crowe) deserve a chance. If you liked Garden State, you may want to try the more depressing Last Kiss, also starring Zach Braff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wait, what are the two different Silent Hill endings? I saw it on DVD and the ending it had was fairly depressing, but I really liked it. The person I watched it with hated the ending, though.

I actually think that movie in general is pretty drat underrated, but I think I'm the only one.

I didn't like the confusing exposition dump in the third act or the constant cutaways to Sean Bean's character that slowed everything down, but the movie did an outstanding job of creating an atmosphere of creeping doom and dread. I think someone on this board a long time ago said the movie perfectly captured what they always thought hell would look like, and that isn't far off from what I thought. I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JohnnyDavidson posted:

What are some movies like The Da Vinci's Code & National Treasure 1 + 2? Like modern treasure hunts.
They're cheesy, but the three made-for-TNT Librarian movies, starring Noah Wyle, are great Indiana Jones-style adventure movies with lots of legendary treasures to be found. The Librarian: Quest for the Spear is the first one. I love them, but I am also a librarian.

And on that note, The Mummy is a great adventure movie too (and co-stars Rachel Weisz as a sexy, heroic librarian). It feels like more of a spiritual successor to the first three Indiana Jones movies than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did. The Mummy Returns is okay, but the first one is awesome. I've never seen the third one. (These are '30s/'40s period pieces, though, unlike the Librarian movies, which take place in modern times.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

oceanside posted:

What are some movies where we get to see intelligent people solving problems? Kind of like seeing geniuses at work. I'm thinking along the lines of Goodnight and Good Luck, Quiz Show or Wag The Dog.

Aaron Sorkin's TV show The West Wing would be perfect for this. Also Apollo 13, with the scenes in Mission Control with Ed Harris. For much lighter fare, Iron Man actually has a lot of great engineering scenes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bishnu posted:

Anyone have any conspiracy thrillers to recommend? I've seen:

The Ghost Writer
The Bourne Trilogy
Green Zone
Munich
The Interpreter
The Parallax View
Three Days of the Condor
Enemy of the State

I especially dug the throwback 70s feel of movies like The Ghost Writer and The Interpreter, if anyone has any more suggestions like that it'd be great.

The Conversation is a great conspiracy movie actually made in the '70s (by Coppola), and you'll love it if you liked Three Days of the Condor. In fact, I read someone's online essay once that extrapolated how Gene Hackman's character in Enemy of the State could easily be an older, wiser version of his character in The Conversation.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

This should be an easy one. I recently watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original) and thought it was the poo poo.

What are other 70s gritty crime/thriller movies? Urban setting preferred, but not necessary. I've already seen The French Connection, which is another good example of what I'm after.

Maybe The Conversation, Three Days of the Condor, Taxi Driver, or the original Assault on Precinct 13?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SMP posted:

Are there any more great sci-fi horror 'monster' movies like Alien or The Thing?

In addition to the others mentioned, I've always had a soft spot for the original Species. Granted, I haven't seen it in over a decade and it has probably aged poorly, but you have Natasha Henstridge as a shape-shifting alien sex monster, and a team made up of Ben Kingsley (in Professor Xavier mode), Michael Madsen, Marg Helgenberger, Alfred Molina, and Forest Whitaker trying to stop her from loving guys to death.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

b0nes posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if I needed my own thread, but basically i want the poo poo scared out of me. I can't tell you why, but basically scary movies do next to nothing for me. it's always been like that. I thought Nightmare on Elm Street was a comedy when I was young. Chucky did nothing for me. Honestly in my lifetime I haven't seen anything that really " disturbed" me except The Human Centipede, which really got to me. My best friends girlfriend recommended I watch Midnight meat Train, which is on it's way via netflix.

In addition to Inland Empire (which will leave you exhausted mentally and almost physically as well), try Lost Highway (from the same director, David Lynch), The Thing, Session 9, Silent Hill (flawed, but full of great "looming doom and dread" atmosphere), In the Mouth of Madness, 28 Days/Weeks Later, and maybe The Mist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm looking for movies featuring inner city street gangs and crime. I have recently watched Training Day, Brooklyn's Finest, and City of God. The first two were entertaining but somewhat comic-booky, and the latter was more straightlaced but I missed the American cities.

I have no problem watching more foreign films like City of God, but I'm way more fascinated by the "warzone in the first world" concept.
Street Kings is along the same lines of Training Day (over-the-top action-packed to the point of being cartoonish), but I really enjoyed it. It also has a great cast, including Keanu Reeves, Chris Evans, Hugh Laurie, and Forest Whitaker. The great crime novelist James Ellroy wrote it, and Training Day writer David Ayer directed it.

The Shield and The Wire are two great shows that feature street gangs, urban crime, and drug dealing, but they are very different. The Shield is a fast-paced show with plenty of action and thrills, and it focuses on the cops, many of whom are corrupt. The Wire (which I only just started watching) seems to be a lot grittier, more realistic, slower-paced, and spends equal time on the drug dealers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

John Q Russia posted:

This is sort of hard to describe but I'll try. I'm looking for movies where there main character is kind of "disconnected". Thinking of people like Michael Douglas in "The Game", The main dad guy from "The Limey", and a few others I can picture but don't know what they are. The reason I was thinking of it is because I thought of that sort of character Sean Penn is going to be in "The Tree of Life". I just saw the trailer and I think the part whee it transitions from the kid form of Penn to his adult form, and then it shows him at the sink he's got that aura of sorta-sad. Like when poo poo sucks when you break up with someone and you go through the motions and it's not super dramatic or overly sad, but there's like that scared weight on you. Suppression of feelings is a part of it too, as well as being lost in thought.

Like I said, very hard to explain for me but I've seen it used many times. Is there a more accurate term for it for people that write movies? If anyone knows what I mean, can you recommend some movies with people like that? Thanks.

I'm not sure, but you might like Lost in Translation, Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, or Wristcutters: A Love Story.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

What are some good movies about deep space/water and the madness that afflicts people there? Stuff like Sphere, Abyss, Pandorum, and Event Horizon. Obviously more horror-type stuff. I just watched Outland with Sean Connery and it started off with some space madness but then kind of devolved to a detective story in space.

Sunshine. Makes a great triple-feature with Event Horizon and Pandorum.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

I want more sci-fi. Hopefully it fits one or all of these criteria:

1) A really immersive environment (Blade Runner, Dark City, Aliens)
2) Monstrous or threatening aliens (doesn't have to be an invasion flick though)

I've seen the obvious big ones (Alien movies, Blade Runner, The Thing, etc.) and I intend to catch the original The Thing from Another World as well as Sunshine. What else you guys got?
Event Horizon and Pandorum, for sure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So, I've been on a kick here recently for some good, hopefully more modern Noir movies. Ideally, I'm looking for something with a similar feel to the opening scene from Sin City, though I was also a big fan of LA Confidential and Blade Runner as well. Bonus points for anything that has a lot of really good atmospheric music.
It was a letdown compared to the amazingness of L.A. Confidential (maybe my favorite movie of the '90s), but The Black Dahlia, based on another novel by the same writer, James Ellroy, is watchable neo-noir. Scarlett Johanssen looks like she was born to wear sexy 1940s clothes and hairstyles, though.

For more of a tongue-in-cheek action noir, try Give 'Em Hell, Malone, starring Thomas Jane as a two-fisted private eye. I'm pretty sure it went straight to DVD.

And if you want sci-fi noir, you HAVE to watch Dark City (another one of my '90s favorites), but either get the Director's Cut or mute the volume from the beginning until it cuts to a scene with a bathtub. The opening narration gives away a major plot twist, but it was removed for the Director's Cut.

Beyond that, The 13th Floor is another sci-fi noir hybrid, but not as good as Dark City.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 22, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm going to assume you've seen most of the common ones that will be recommended (Usual Suspects, Mulholland Dr, The Prestige) and try to recommend slightly more obscure ones.

Audition
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Heart
Enter the Void (well, kind of. You'll certainly be guessing all the way through and lots of Holy poo poo, Really? moments)
Synecdoche, New York.

Guess those would be closer to thrillers than action, not a lot of action movies that have mindfuck twist endings that I can think of.

Seconding Usual Suspects, The Prestige (still my favorite Christopher Nolan movie), Jacob's Ladder, and Angel Heart. I love them all. Also try L.A. Confidential (one of my all-time favorites), Dark City (only watch the Director's Cut), Memento, The Sting (a classic!), Lost Highway, Brick, The Machinist, Inland Empire, and even though it's not nearly as good as the others listed, the recent Unknown.

Also watch the entire series Twin Peaks, which is only two seasons. Season 1 and the first third of Season 2 are outstanding, then Season 2 gets mediocre with moments of excruciating badness, but the series finale is one of the all-time great mindfucks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jadz posted:

Edit: Are you talking about Unknown with the group of amnesiacs in the warehouse, or the new Liam Neeson one? I haven't seen the brand new one, but I really liked the other.

The new Liam Neeson one, although the other one sounds pretty cool too, from what you say about it. Have fun watching The Usual Suspects and the others movies regulargonzalez and I listed. I'd give anything to be able to watch some of those for the first time, spoiler-free.

OH! Also try Fight Club, Unbreakable, and Cube.

• Locked thread