Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

thegreatcodfish, Where do you live?

Why do you still go to that church? Do you do anything to counter his incorrect information he's putting out there as "facts?"

It is too bad that churches do this and get away with it. If you're tax exempt, stay out of politics.

Georgia. I still go because I have gone for 25 years and my family and friends are there. It wasn't like this until recently, this past month or two has been the worst. For a long time it was the only church I knew of that actually steered fairly clear of politics in general, but that's probably because they were in power. I've been working on going through the stuff he sends out and trying to find real facts to disprove stuff. Not sure what I will do with it yet though. I know what I should do, but I don't know if I want to be labeled a heretic yet :P

I agree on the tax exempt point for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

honestshrubber posted:

Taking positions on public policy issues is not the same as "getting into politics." I really don't think there is anything wrong (legally or ethically) with a church or other non-profit expressing its views on policy issues and urging its members to participate in the political process, especially when there are no elections coming up that they could be viewed as trying to influence.

You don't find any ethical problems with this at all when the views they are expressing are based on outright lies in many of the cases that he listed?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
FW:FW:FW:FW: SCARY!!!

quote:

Contact your Representatives and let them know how you feel about this. We, as a country, cannot afford another 1000 page bill to go through congress without being read. Another 500 pages to go. I have highlighted a few of the items that are downright unconstitutional.

• Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure!
• Page 29: Admission: your health care will be rationed!
• Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
• Page 42: The "Health Choices Commissioner" will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
• Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
• Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Health card.
• Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer.
• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (read: SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to g overnment rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans)
• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens
• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
• Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter.
• Page 124: No company can sue the government for pr ice-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers will be crushed.
• Page 127: The AMA sold doctors out: the government will set wages.
• Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.
• Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their familie s.
• Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an 8% tax on payroll
• Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6% tax on payroll
• Page 167: Any individual who doesn’t' have acceptable healthcare (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income.
• Page 170: Any NON-RESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes (Americans will pay for them).
• Page 195: Officers and employees of Government Healthcare Bureaucracy will have access to ALL American financial and personal records.
• Page 203: "The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax." Yes, it really says that.
• Page 239: Bill will reduce physician services for Medicaid. Seniors and the poor most affected."
• Page 241: Doctors: no matter what specialty you have, you'll all be paid the same (thanks, AMA!)
• Page 253: Government sets value of doctors' time, their professional judgment, etc.
• Page 265: Government mandates and controls productivity for private healthcare industries.
• Page 268: Government regulates rental and purchase of power-driven wheelchairs.
• Page 272: Cancer patients: welcome to the wonderful world of rationing!
• Page 280: Hospitals will be penalized for what the government deems preventable re-admissions.
• Page 298: Doctors: if you treat a patient during an initial admission that results in a readmission, you will be penalized by the government.
• Page 317: Doctors: you are now prohibited for owning and investing in healthcare companies!
• Page 318: Prohibition on hospital expansion. Hospitals cannot expand without government approval.
• Page 321: Hospital expansion hinges on "community" input: in other words, yet another payoff for ACORN.
• Page 335: Government mandates establishment of outcome-based measures: i.e., rationing.
• Page 341: Government has authority to disqualify Medicare Advantage Plans, HMOs, etc.
• Page 354: Government will restrict enrollment of SPECIAL NEEDS individuals..
• Page 379: More bureaucracy: Telehealth Advisory Committee (healthcare by phone).
• Page 425: More bureaucracy: Advance Care Planning Consult: Senior Citizens, assisted suicide, euthanasia?
• Page 425: Government will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers=2 0of attorney, etc. Mandatory. Appears to lock in estate taxes ahead of time.
• Page 425: Government provides approved list of end-of-life resources, guiding you in death.
• Page 427: Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life ends.
• Page 429: Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient's health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT.
• Page 430: Government will decide what level of treatments you may have at end-of-life.
• Page 469: Community-based Home Medical Services: more payoffs for ACORN.
• Page 472: Payments to Community-based organizations: more payoffs for ACORN.
• Page 489: Government will cover marriage and family therapy. Government intervenes in your marriage.
• Page 494: Government will cover mental health services: defining, creating and rationing those services.

This e-mail has pretty much everything: ACORN, Americorps, death panels, rationing, illegal aliens, and government controlled motorized wheel chairs.

Throw in some gun control and Obama's Islamic upbringing in Kenya and we could rule the world of forwards.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

You don't find any ethical problems with this at all when the views they are expressing are based on outright lies in many of the cases that he listed?

Oh, I do. Believe me. You can't just stand up in the middle of the meeting and start yelling though.
I'm a fairly new "convert" from conservatism and discovering the outright lies is still a mind gently caress for me. I'm still trying to figure out a way to fight them. Facts don't help. The things that they point to in the bills can be, if twisted hard enough, seen as supporting what they say. I know this gonna sound chicken as hell, but whatever. No one except my wife knows how I feel about these things and there are certain people in my family that I would be ceriously afraid of finding out that I am more on the liberal side of the fence. One in particular is former DoD and has been buying weapons and ammo like crazy and has made jokes to the family about "if we named the dog Obama then I'd have to beat it every day" and other crap like that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to fight certain people. I'm educating who I can (my wife mostly at the moment) and gathering info to solidify my beliefs. I'm hoping that this thread will be helpful.

Sheri, I don't want to derail this thread too much so if its more appropriate, feel free to shoot me an email. Username @ gmail . Com

Naet, I got that in an email(not from my pastor, family member) a week or so ago. It's really funny to actually look in the bill to see what they are referencing.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh, I do. Believe me. You can't just stand up in the middle of the meeting and start yelling though.
I'm a fairly new "convert" from conservatism and discovering the outright lies is still a mind gently caress for me. I'm still trying to figure out a way to fight them. Facts don't help. The things that they point to in the bills can be, if twisted hard enough, seen as supporting what they say. I know this gonna sound chicken as hell, but whatever. No one except my wife knows how I feel about these things and there are certain people in my family that I would be ceriously afraid of finding out that I am more on the liberal side of the fence. One in particular is former DoD and has been buying weapons and ammo like crazy and has made jokes to the family about "if we named the dog Obama then I'd have to beat it every day" and other crap like that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to fight certain people. I'm educating who I can (my wife mostly at the moment) and gathering info to solidify my beliefs. I'm hoping that this thread will be helpful.

Sheri, I don't want to derail this thread too much so if its more appropriate, feel free to shoot me an email. Username @ gmail . Com

Naet, I got that in an email(not from my pastor, family member) a week or so ago. It's really funny to actually look in the bill to see what they are referencing.

Hey, no problem. I know it can be tough when you're the only one...my question was directed at honestshrubber who indicated that he saw nothing ethically wrong with what was going on.

Good for you for keeping an open mind. My family is not crazy (as in Palin levels of crazy) but I am extremely liberal and they are not so much. I cannot have a political discussion with them as they don't believe anything I present to them, no matter how sourced it is, and will believe anything Bill O'Reilly says. We don't talk about politics anymore, as it makes my mother too angry. I know how you feel.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh, I know. I sent a reply to the list of people with a link to the actual bill and told them, in a nice way, to not be stupid. In addition, I also stated that the bill is certainly not the ideal solution for healthcare, but that the correct way to make change is to actually fight the tangible problems and not waste time making up utter bullshit like death panels and ACORN conspiracy theories.

Really, there's no logical way that any of these people can argue with my e-mail. I linked the actual bill and not any other website that would immediately be written off as "LIEbiral"; anyone who continues to argue on the side of the FW just proves to me that stupid people are stupid people are stupid people and no amount of actual evidence will ever change their minds.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 17, 2009

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
My mother sends me something similar to these lines everyday. It's funny how they sound so familiar to the ones I got about how Dubya was better than EVILCLINTON666.

Faux's Mom posted:

OK son, don't just delete this, ok? I want you to read and be honest and think about your inward response. It's simply an exercise to point out to ourselves that we do in fact judge everything by our own perspective. Remember - I bought Chip a George Bush doll that you pull his string and it says some of his most stupidest quotes, and I thought it was hilariously funny. Now the same thing is happening with Obama, and where are the jokes? Where is the doll? I want you to be aware that all of those people "out there" who might be telling you that your parents have tried to brainwash you with their religion and their politics - well, they're simply trying to do the exact same thing by often offering you only their perspective and one side of the story. If you're going to be a liberal, at least be an honest, well informed liberal, ok? I love you regardless. I don't think "those people out there" could possibly have your best interests at heart the way yo' mama does!

-Vickie

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: Undisclosed-Recipient@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 11:59:55 PM
Subject: Fw: Fwd: IF GEORGE BUSH HAD ... A MUST READ

> If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?
>
> If George W.. Bush had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly narcissistic and tacky?
>
> If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?
>
> If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current on their income taxes, would you have approved?
>
>
> If George W. Bush had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to “Cinco de Cuatro” in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the fourth of May (Cuatro de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, would you have winced in embarrassment?
>
>
> If George W. Bush had mis-spelled the word advice would you have hammered him for it for years like Dan Quayle and potatoe as “proof” of what a dunce he is?
>
>
> If George W. Bush had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on “Earth Day”, would you have concluded he’s a hypocrite?
>
>
> If George W.. Bush’s administration had okayed Air Force One flying low over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether they actually “get” what happened on 9-11?
>
>
> If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how he is inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?
>
>
> If George W. Bush had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence?
>
> If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have
> approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had reduced your retirement plan’s holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?
>
> If George W. Bush had spent $250,000 to take Laura Bush to dinner and a play in NYC, making the theatre delay the start of the play over an hour, would you have approved?
>
> So, tell me again, what is it about Obama that makes him so brilliant and impressive? Can't think of anything? Don't worry. He's done all this in 5 months -- so you'll have three years and seven months to come up with an answer.

Aarg.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ReverendFaux posted:

My mother sends me something similar to these lines everyday. It's funny how they sound so familiar to the ones I got about how Dubya was better than EVILCLINTON666.

Aarg.

ask if if george bush jumped off a bridge if she would.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

ReverendFaux posted:

> If George W. Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have
> approved?
Didn't GWB grow the national debt by a huge margin, without a proposal? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

Hey, no problem. I know it can be tough when you're the only one...my question was directed at honestshrubber who indicated that he saw nothing ethically wrong with what was going on.

Good for you for keeping an open mind. My family is not crazy (as in Palin levels of crazy) but I am extremely liberal and they are not so much. I cannot have a political discussion with them as they don't believe anything I present to them, no matter how sourced it is, and will believe anything Bill O'Reilly says. We don't talk about politics anymore, as it makes my mother too angry. I know how you feel.

Whoop. I feel like a dumbass. I was on my blackberry and skimmed what you quoted. Ah well.

edit: atonement for my sins

quote:

USRPN: Urgent Prayer & Action Concerning Children's Rights
United States Reformation Prayer Network
Jun 25, 2009

Dear Friends,

We received this urgent message for prayer activism from our United States Reformation Prayer Network New York Apostle, Joseph Askins.

The agenda to see that our rights as parents be greatly diminished or taken away is very serious under the following treaty.

This only verifies the revelation God gave me that the "strongman" over America is in New York over the United Nations.

Please read this email carefully and take action as well as forward it to others.

God bless you,

Cindy Jacobs

The Obama administration is reportedly close to pushing ratification of the "UN Convention on the Rights of the Child" treaty (CRC). This is a call for prayer and action!

On June 1 and 2, Georgetown University Law School hosted a two-day symposium entitled "The Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC): Why It Is Time to Ratify." This well-funded conference was held to organize a new coalition effort by American internationalists to seek ratification of the UN child's rights treaty.

Click here (http://www.ifapray.org/ScienceArtCulture/SAC_2009/ChildRightsForcesMobilize.html) to read entire article.

Ten things you need to know about the content of the CRC:

Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.
A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.
Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.
The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent's decision.
A child's "right to be heard" would allow him or her to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.
According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children's welfare.
Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.
Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty.
Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions, without parental knowledge or consent.
Please pray and call officials and let your voice be heard.

Here’s what we need you all to do:

1. Call the White House comments line at 202-456-1111. Tell them you heard the administration wants to ratify the CRC, and you strongly oppose this giving away of U.S. sovereignty to the UN. Also keep in mind that this treaty gives the government jurisdiction to override any decision made by any parent if the government thinks that a better decision can be made—even if there is no proof of any harm.

2. Call Ambassador Susan Rice’s office at the United Nations. Tell her that you want her to represent the United States to the world rather than trying to get the United States to go along with international law initiated by the UN. The US Mission at the United Nations can be reached at 212-415-4000 (press 6 to leave your message). This number has been disconnected through our efforts. You can also contact the Public Diplomacy Office at 212-415-4050. We are no longer urging calls to the U.S. office at the United Nations.

3. Contact your Senators and urge them to oppose ratification of this treaty. (Find your Senators’ contact information by typing your zip code into the box here.) Ask them also to defeat it once and for all by cosponsoring SJRes 16 – the Parental Rights Amendment.

It is very important that we speak up right now. Please call before you close this email!

This is not a message our officials want to hear, so speak courteously but do not expect a cordial reception. The important thing is to get the message through. It is important that you make this call. A decision by the President is imminent.

"The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, like the channels of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)

Click here to read 10 more things you should know about CRC

Click here to visit the home page of ParentalRights.org

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Dear Friend of Parental Rights,

Monday in a Harlem middle school, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice told a group of 120 students that administration officials are actively discussing “when and how it might be possible to join” (that is, ratify) the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). As before, she also communicated what a disgrace it is that the U.S. would stand with only Somalia against such a widely-accepted treaty.

This is the first direct public statement by the Obama administration that it will seek ratification of the UN CRC.

In my 30 years of political involvement, I have learned to recognize this as what is called a “trial balloon.” Like in World War I trench warfare, our opponents have “sent up a balloon” to see if it will draw fire. If things remain quiet, they will proceed with their plans to push for ratification of the CRC in the U.S. Senate.

To discourage them from doing so, we need to make sure that our voices are heard with unmistakable clarity. We must let the Obama administration know that we oppose this anti-family, anti-American treaty.

Sincerely,

Michael Farris

Neither of these people are my pastor, just an email that was forwarded.

thegreatcodfish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 17, 2009

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

publicblast posted:

Didn't GWB grow the national debt by a huge margin, without a proposal? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless of that, ask her if she remembers the national debt and a certain President named "Reagan."

Wiki tells me that the national debt when he entered office was right around a trillion dollars, and when he left it was around three (unadjusted dollars; when adjusting it's roughly two to roughly four). THAT UNABASHED SOCIALIST COMMIE MUSLIM!

Plus, let's point out that Obama is not, in fact, proposing to double the national debt. Not that these people give a poo poo (or could even comprehend) about the difference between debt and deficit, or real and adjusted dollars, or anything.

Ortsacras fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 17, 2009

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

thegreatcodfish posted:

National rights of the child

That sounds like the greatest thing... why hasn't this been ratified yet?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

the posted:

That sounds like the greatest thing... why hasn't this been ratified yet?

Because people want to beat their children.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
The subject of this email is: "Feel Safe Yet?"

quote:

Obama Appoints 2 Devout Muslims to Homeland Security Posts

(NOTE: has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, Jew or Protestant..., just wondering?)
Doesn't this make you feel safer already??

Obama and Janet Nappy Appoint Devout Muslim to Homeland Security Post
Arif Alikhan as Assistant Secretary for Policy Development
Source for announcement:
Homeland Security Press Room
http://makkah.wordpress.com/2009/05...eland-security/

Shora, who was born in Damascus, Syria

Kareem Shora appointed by DHS Secretary Napolitano on Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC)
Washington, DC
June 5, 2009
https://www.adc.org
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) is proud to announce that earlier today at a ceremony held in Albuquerque, New Mexico, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano swore-in ADC National Executive Director Kareem Shora as a member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC).

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

quote:

(NOTE: has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, Jew or Protestant..., just wondering?)
Doesn't this make you feel safer already??

The correct response would be "Does it make you feel safer? Why or why not?"

The unsaid premise is of course that you shouldn't trust them because they are Muslims being placed in a Homeland Security position and Muslims = Terrorists. Any good response would force the original sender to in some way acknowledge their overt prejudice for what it is and either confront it or at least stop pretending to be sly about it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Not just a Muslim, a DEVOUT one!

sumosally
Dec 28, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Vilerat posted:

The correct response would be "Does it make you feel safer? Why or why not?"

The unsaid premise is of course that you shouldn't trust them because they are Muslims being placed in a Homeland Security position and Muslims = Terrorists. Any good response would force the original sender to in some way acknowledge their overt prejudice for what it is and either confront it or at least stop pretending to be sly about it.

I don't think you understand exactly how devout these guys are.

Lavareef
Feb 5, 2009

I'm in a TINY bit of trouble

ManoliIsFat posted:

Not just a Muslim, a DEVOUT one!

I heard them there fellas behind 9/11 were 'devout' Muslims, just another thing that Barrack Hussein Obama doesn't want you to know. :ssh:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The subject of this email is: "Feel Safe Yet?"

Haha "Janet Nappy"?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Toad on a Hat posted:

Haha "Janet Nappy"?

Napolitano Headed Hoes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReverendFaux posted:

Aarg.

Ask her if she would blame Obama for a terrorist attack in September.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Naet posted:

FW:FW:FW:FW: SCARY!!!

I got this one from my uncle. This uncle was recently laid off from his job and had to take on COBRA in order to keep his health insurance from lapsing so he could be covered again (pre-existing conditions + ongoing prescriptions, that sort of thing). According to my aunt his monthly COBRA payment was just a little bit less than the mortgage on their house.

BUT SERIOUSLY gently caress HEALTH CARE REFORM AM I RITE GUYS

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I don't know enough about Obama's health care reform to contribute if that's what the fake chain letter is going to be.
But here's a goofy, poinltess one I received last week.
I find it deliciously ironic that apparently the worst thing in math is math in Arabic.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Sometimes the mails are just silly :3:

quote:

Think about this:
1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

------------------------------------------------------------------------

COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around
our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

THE CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq ... Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse or Congress is this --you cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians .... it creates a hostile work environment..

Also, think about this .... if you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is time for America to speak up!

Yes, I passed it on!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mince Pieface posted:

I find it deliciously ironic that apparently the worst thing in math is math in Arabic.

:psyduck: I can't really find an analogue to that - The worst thing about English is how much it shares with German? I'm struggling here.

e: ^^^I like how they're bitching about how we're not using the constitution as a precursor to bitching about how we're not putting religious symbols in government buildings.

They also fail to realize cows don't assume fake names and are generally tagged and shipped around as freight (especially in the case mentioned with mad cow). We can't "Track down dem messicans" because we don't tag people, chop them up, and ship them around as freight. Don't give her any ideas though.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 20, 2009

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
My family largely knows to leave me the gently caress alone when it comes to politics. This amused me, though.

chesh's stepmom posted:

Hope all is well with the new living arrangements! I wasn't sure, but thought I'd ask if you were thinking about sending your dad anything for his birthday.
He gave me 2 ideas last week. I have another idea of my own but may use one of these if mine doesn't work out.

1- A membership to heritage.org ( I'm pretty sure it's org not com) Rush Limbaugh promotes it
2- Stuff from oreilly.com

Let me know if you are or are not using any of these. Maybe you're just sending a card.

XXOO

Oh ho ho.

chesh's response posted:

I will not be getting him these things. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chesh posted:

My family largely knows to leave me the gently caress alone when it comes to politics. This amused me, though.

Oh ho ho.

Send him Mein Kampf (or if you can find it, the Kloran) and say it's pretty much along those lines.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

BullitNutz posted:

Send him Mein Kampf (or if you can find it, the Kloran) and say it's pretty much along those lines.

That would be hyperbolic. I'd be up for suggestions on something subversively liberal to send his way, though.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

chesh posted:

That would be hyperbolic. I'd be up for suggestions on something subversively liberal to send his way, though.

http://heritage.com/

It's a newspaper! You can make sure he's informed of all the southeastern Michigan happenings.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

chesh posted:

Oh ho ho.

Now just step back a second, what's wrong with oreilly.com? :v:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

csammis posted:

Now just step back a second, what's wrong with oreilly.com? :v:

Chesh, you should buy your dad MAKE volume 18 off the O'Reilly website. The one with "REMAKE AMERICA" on the cover. This one. With all sorts of green projects and environmentally-friendly ideas.

sumosally
Dec 28, 2006

by Fistgrrl

chesh posted:

Oh ho ho.

Get him this. It's not openly partisan so he won't necessarily discard it without a second thought (though he still might, I don't know your dad) and it has some pretty well-reasoned arguments about MJ reform.

Disco Duck
Jul 30, 2004

by mons noobis
:siren:DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD OF THIS:siren:

I'm a little nervous about posting this, even if the intention is to show how crazy the email is. This is what white people in the United States actually think, and they do not believe any of this makes them racist. It probably goes without saying, but Mike Richards didn't actually say any of this.

quote:

This is great. I have been wondering about why Whites are Racists, and no other race is. Read, on this does make sense...

Proud to be White - Michael Richards makes his point...

Cosmo Kramer
Cosmo Kramer
Seinfeld

Michael Richards, better known as Kramer from TVs Seinfeld, does make a good point. This was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act. He makes some very interesting points...

Someone finally said it... How many are actually paying attention to this?

"There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman' .. And that's OK.

But when I call you, friend of the family, Kike, Towel head, Sand-friend of the family, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink ... You call me a racist. You say that Whites commit a lot of violence against you... So why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live? Why do more blacks kill blacks than anyone else?

You have the United Negro College Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day. You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day. You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi. You have the NAACP. You have BET...

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists..

If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists. If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' our, Lives we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students Scholarships. You know we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US . Yet if there were 'White colleges' That would be a racist college..

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights.

If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us Racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it.

But when we announce our white pride, you call us racist!

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white Police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

There is nothing improper about this E-mail.

Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on. I sadly don't think many will. That's why we have lost most of OUR RIGHTS in This Country. We won't stand up for ourselves!

BE PROUD TO BE WHITE! It's not a crime yet .... But getting real close!

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

Disco Duck posted:

:siren:DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD OF THIS:siren:

I'm a little nervous about posting this, even if the intention is to show how crazy the email is. This is what white people in the United States actually think, and they do not believe any of this makes them racist. It probably goes without saying, but Mike Richards didn't actually say any of this.

haha, Michael Richards didn't say any of that, it was just copied from another chain email

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' our, Lives we'd be racists.
Heritage Foundation?

quote:

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us.
Yep, that's what every black person asks themselves when they wake up in the morning - "Who am I going to rob, carjack or shoot today?"

This e-mail doesn't make any good points and generally the writer/sender is bitching about how it was the other way 'round for a few hundred years, and it's a wound of identity that isn't exactly fully healed yet (i.e. there's still racism). Ask him when it was that a white person was ever 3/5 of a vote or when white people were owned by black people, ask about that time we invaded Sweden to kidnap swede farmers and bring them over to the US to have them work in the fields. Ask him why people can be proud to be openly Christian, Catholic, etc; but the second someone's openly Muslim, it's RED ALERT RED ALERT KEEP AN EYE ON THAT MUSLIM AT ALL TIMES HE MIGHT BLOW SOMETHING UP

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

BullitNutz posted:

Ask him when it was that a white person was ever 3/5 of a vote
Three-fifths of a person. They still couldn't vote. :eng101:

This is actually worse because it means that Southern states had around four seats for every three they would have had if only the free population were counted, and yet only the free population had any chance of voting (subject to possession of penis, of course). So each voting citizen in slave states essentially had 33% more representation in the House than a citizen in free states. In other words, the slave population was about a quarter of someone else's vote!

Of course, my Cherokee-and-proud-of-it grandfather liked to ask when the last time anyone told all the white men that they had to pack up and move was.

quote:

Ask him why people can be proud to be openly Christian, Catholic, etc; but the second someone's openly Muslim, it's RED ALERT RED ALERT KEEP AN EYE ON THAT MUSLIM AT ALL TIMES HE MIGHT BLOW SOMETHING UP
I wish I were lying when I say that I've heard someone argue that Christian values have been squashed by liberals so badly that there's no chance of a theonomy (hahahahaha), but that the liberals would love nothing more than to force the U.S. into a Muslim theocracy in the name of being "progressive".

Speaking of which...like I said before, I don't actually get a whole lot of e-mail, so I don't get forwards all that often (and usually the ones I get are "cute puppy dog picture" ones that aren't crazy), but I keep getting linked to or invited to things on Facebook that are about on par. I normally delete them, but if it would be okay, the next time I get one of these I'll post the message, video, or group statement here for laughter's sake.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Although not a forward, I thought I would share this.

I get forwards from my mother all the time. We have pretty open, occasionally heated conversations about politics. Lately she's been touting Glenn Beck as a respectable figure.

So yesterday I responded to one of her forwards with a link to GBS's awesome video compilation of crazy Glenn Beck moments, in the "Glenn Beck is crazy" thread.

From that I got the following response. It starts a bit concillatory, but then it goes all over the place on other tangents, showcasing her stunning adherance to Fox News talking points. In particular, notice the part about Glenn Beck being stressed and financially unable to support his family.

mom posted:

The videos definitely did not speak well of Glenn B. at all and were far from flattering, some even over the top. He has some background in comedy which illustrates some of the drama, and depending on the subject matter etc. Definitely he can be cynical sometimes as more information and news presents itself. I've noticed lately that he seems more stressed also. With his daughter's disability he has some big time concerns (and fear, as many do) about some of the issues in the health care reform bill including legal decisions and implications--for the present and even moreso down the road. Adding to the mix, America's quality of healthcare, timeliness of health care, costs of healthcare, whether the procedure or healthcare is approved and to what degree, or if it is refused and declined. Some of the newly appointed czars that president Obama has put in place, have backgrounds and belief systems that are very concerning. Including in the area of our healthcare. There is great concern (shared by much of America) about the authority he will have also in deciding our healthcare, who will receive what, and regarding the relationship between Dr. and patient, including relative to what is deemed "appropriate" and/or necessary patient care as well as how a patient or residen'ts needs will be met. Examples: newborn babys, chronically ill, mentally challenged or impaired,, chronically ill, disabled, or less healthy, and the "elderlly" population. Moreover, rationing of healthcare would be introduced into the system, with incremental changes that would come to pass which would change everything, including the obsorbiant amount of debt that would be incurred . This would mean even a whole lot $$$$$ more of debt, then more "bigger government" and would amount to incrementally, more control of our lives and fewer freedoms. It's a scarry thought to much of America, if government were to be callilng the shots- where individial health concerns, decisions, treatments and surgerys if they that qualify, and costs are concerned. Then there are issues such as how long a person has to wait for surgery or treatment, as well as for MRI's, CAT scans etc. There would be restrictions and requirements expected of our doctors, to include pay incentives and bonused--based on how much money is saved. This would determine how the Dr. is reimbursed (or rewarded).

Irritated at this point, I gave this rebuttal:

me posted:

Where did I mention Obama, healthcare, or any politics at all? We're talking about Glenn Beck here. And if you honestly believe that Beck, a multi-millionare, has any real concerns over his daughter's health care that are not just television theatrics, you've been duped.

Talk to me again when he's got a negative income (like 20% of Americans) and not, I don't know, signing $50 million television contracts.

Something tells me that from watching Fox News, you've picked up some wrong ideas about wealth distribution in America that go far deeper than "wrongly believing Glenn Beck's family will ever have to worry about money." I hope to make you a little better informed on this.

First off, did you know that in 2004, that the top 1% of households owned 34.3% of all privately held wealth? Just the top 1%. Think about that. A tiny 1% of households, owning over a third of America's wealth. That includes guys like Glenn Beck, and most certainly has never included you or your husband - unless at some point you made over $12.5 million, which is necessary to be in the top 1%.

The cutoff for being considered "upper class" in America is miles above what most people realize. The gap between the rich and poor in America is larger, to an incredible extent, than you think it is. People like Glenn Beck are NOT in the same boat as people like you and I, and I mean that in the most extreme sense possible.

Here are some more statistics I want you to think about carefully in order to reconsider your notions that "most" Americans are pretty well-off and not just a tiny handful:

From New York University:

"The bottom 20 percent basically have zero wealth. They either have no assets, or their debt equals or exceeds their assets. The bottom 20 percent has typically accumulated no savings." That's one out of five households.

From Harvard's Joint Center for Housing Studies:

"In 2004, the wealthiest 25% of US households owned 87% ($43.6 trillion) of the country’s wealth, while the bottom quartile held no net wealth at all [1]. The middle 50% of the country held 13% or $6.5 trillion of the total household net wealth [1].The previous data are taken from analysis of the Survey of Consumer Finances (SCF) which over samples wealthy households. This over sampling more accurately represents the true wealth distribution [since most of the wealth is concentrated at the top]. This data shows that the top 25% of American society holds on average a net wealth of $1,556,801 which is 33 times more than those of the lower middle class, or the 25th-50th percentile [1].

[1] a b c d e f Growing Wealth, Inequality, and Housing in the United States. Zhu Xiao Di. Feb. 2007. Joint Center for Housing Studies."

Fox News has a huge incentive of keeping their viewers unaware that they're not actually rich, or even anywhere near what it would take to be rich in America. That channel thrives off of telling its viewers that they're the select few, the chosen wealthy ones who must protect their wealth from those wanting handouts (usually implied to be liberal blacks).

If the viewers knew this to be false, which it absolutely is (remember the difference between that top 1% and the remaining 99% of households), they wouldn't be as accepting of the messages of greed and fear constantly pushed to them. But they'd rather not know, because it makes people "feel good" (and therefore watch Fox more, leading to higher ratings) to hear that their wealth can be compared to Glenn Beck's.

No mom, it's not Glenn Beck that is affected by the U.S.'s dismal healthcare system, it's people like you. Turn off your TV and read an almanac and you'll get a much different picture.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 20, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't think I'd ever speak to my parents if they were diehard conservatives.

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
My mom's family is always sending her these emails for some reason. I'm not even sure how to take this one.

quote:

FW: Travel Advisory
Those expecting to be on the road this weekend please be advised of the
following TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY:

A travel advisory was issued by the Department of Transportation for
this coming weekend covering the following six states:

1. South Dakota
2. Iowa
3. Illinois
4. Indiana
5. Kentucky
6. Virginia

The following 10 Interstates will be clogged by road blocks, heavy
traffic, expected heavy spectators and Press:

1. I - 64
2. I - 71
3. I - 65
4. I - 465
5. I - 74
6. I - 474
7. I - 80
8. I - 380
9. I - 90
10. I - 190

The reason for the delay is Federal Government is shipping a 100 TON lump of coal from West Virginia to South Dakota so that Obama can be added to Mount Rushmore.

However, the consulting engineering firm of Pelosi, Frank, Reid, Jackson & Sharpton are questioning that they are not sure it would be big enough.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

faustcf posted:

My mom's family is always sending her these emails for some reason. I'm not even sure how to take this one.

Send her this in response.