Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

VitalSigns posted:

You had some goons actually mad about trans fat bans, and seemed to believe that trans fats were some super-delicious sinful and indulgent ambrosia that They were taking from you. Instead of, you know, an industrial byproduct that arguably isn't even food at all since it just wrecks your arteries and provides no energy or nutrition. And that nobody even missed when they were removed)

Hey stop, I skipped breakfast and you're making me hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Side note: the debates about trans fats here in D&D were very interesting, not so much for their content, but as a real-time look into how big industries use propaganda to try to defeat attempts at regulation.
If they ban trans fats people will just eat more cis fats to compensate!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Those drat chemists of... [checks Wikipedia] 1869! :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
That's actually kinda clever. Slapping two "the government told ME WHAT TO DO" grievances onto the same picture.

Edit: why do the youth hate us, I say while ruining their futures for purely selfish reasons

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Wait till this person learns about catalytic converters...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

Wait till this person learns about catalytic converters...

Pretty sure the bulk of people that post this stuff are well aware of catalytic converters and the quickest way to remove one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

That was due to lobbying from the butter industry to make margarine look gross. There were also some states that made it illegal for margarine manufacturers to dye white margarine yellow to look like butter for the same reason.

Margarine was actually really bad for a long time though because the process of hydrogenating vegetable oil created trans fats as a byproduct, and the harm wasn't recognized until the 1990s, and regulations requiring margarine to not contain trans fats didn't come around until the 2000s.

My favorite fun fact about margarine is that for a long while in the early-to-mid 20th century it was the primary driver of industrial whaling.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

an industrial byproduct that arguably isn't even food at all since it just wrecks your arteries and provides no energy or nutrition.
Trans fats provide about as much nutrition per gram to humans as any other type of edible fat. They're food, just not very healthy food.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herman Merman posted:

Trans fats provide about as much nutrition per gram to humans as any other type of edible fat. They're food, just not very healthy food.

Do they?

I thought the whole issue with trans fats was that we can't metabolize those fatty acids so they accumulate in our arteries and cause problems.

Sure they're found in foods but I'm not sure they're actually food themselves.
E:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000786.htm

quote:

Your body does not need or benefit from trans fats

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Do they?

I thought the whole issue with trans fats was that we can't metabolize those fatty acids so they accumulate in our arteries and cause problems.

Sure they're found in foods but I'm not sure they're actually food themselves.
E:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000786.htm
Trying to keep the message simple I guess, it's saying there is no benefit in eating them over other types of fats, and several downsides.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/trans-fat posted:

WHO’s recommendation for adults is to limit consumption of trans fat to less than 1% of total energy intake, which is less than 2.2 g per day for a 2000-calorie diet.
Trans fats are counted in the energy intake because human metabolism can extract energy from them. About 9 kcal/g, roughly the same as other edible fats.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's funny because in casual parlance, I would have considered 'calories' to be separate from 'nutrition' but that's obviously quite silly thinking about it now. That's probably the lingering effects of learning about 'empty calories' and that stuff. Like, at least when talking about adults in modern wealthy nations not personally faced with food insecurity, it makes some sense that the caloric value is not the 'nutritive' part you typically need to worry about. But of course, carbohydrates, fats and protiens are caloric and are macronutrients, so clearly they're nutrition. Just sort of odd thing about the way we use words without examining them. Or maybe just me.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Black market margarine w/ extra trans fats

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bespoke margarine manufacturing process to only create the trans isomer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

As long as the trans fat sticks to it's own bathrooms and doesn't spy on my kids I'm fine with it. It's against god and nature, but I fully support it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

As long as the trans fat sticks to it's own bathrooms and doesn't spy on my kids I'm fine with it. It's against god and nature, but I fully support it.

Love the sinister isomer, hate the sin

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

(Copied from a friend) Think about this next time you walk into a Wal-Mart.... This probably sounds crazy, but just yesterday I was looking for a wastebasket. I found some made in China for $6.99. I didn't want to pay that much so I asked the lady if they had any others. She took me to another department and they had some at $2.50 made in USA . They are just as good. Same as a kitchen rug I needed. I had to look, but I found some made in the USA and they were $3.00 cheaper. We are being brain washed that everything that comes from China and Mexico is cheaper. Not so. That is also why I don't buy cards at Hallmark anymore. They are made in China and are expensive. I buy them at Dollar Tree....50 cents each and made in USA . Check this out. I can verify this because I was in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments... They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in USA . Start looking ... In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job. So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track.. Let's get behind her! My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more. My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... Now I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything ... Good idea ... One light bulb at a time ... This past weekend I was at Kroger ... I needed 60W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, " Everyday Value ." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats they were the same except for the price ... The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand, but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA by a company in Cleveland , Ohio. So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here ... So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets... Yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada ... The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price! My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Saving money by using incandescent lights and tumble dryers.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Isn’t a lot of those generic brands just the name brand selling the generic brand batches that do not meet QA?

That would explain why the generic brand is “made in the USA” since it is just packaged there.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Isn’t a lot of those generic brands just the name brand selling the generic brand batches that do not meet QA?

That would explain why the generic brand is “made in the USA” since it is just packaged there.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can't say "made in the USA" if it's not literally manufactured in the United States. The closest to what you're saying is something like "Assembled in the USA from parts made in X", which probably wouldn't apply to, say, a rug.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

To no one's surprise, a lot of the locations are inaccurate. For example, GE has headquarters and factories in Bucyrus, Ohio. Bounce dryer sheets are made in West Virginia.

It kinda reads to me like a Boomer who would be ashamed to buy non-name-brand (read: too 'low class') products coming up with a reason for it being an act of patriotism.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i stopped reading the block of text, but i love how "reading price tags" is like some new supa strat for them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PhazonLink posted:

i stopped reading the block of text, but i love how "reading price tags" is like some new supa strat for them.

These are the people who believe they are the last generation capable of making change without a calculator, of course they think it's some super life hack.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herman Merman posted:

Trans fats are counted in the energy intake because human metabolism can extract energy from them. About 9 kcal/g, roughly the same as other edible fats.

Oh ok you're right then

PhazonLink posted:

It's also funny how many times they repeat it

Yeah we get it, there's information printed right on the labels, that's what labels are for, let's go gramps it's time for your nap

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Panfilo posted:

These are the people who believe they are the last generation capable of making change without a calculator, of course they think it's some super life hack.

"I'm just saying, give me two more nickels, I can give you two quarters and a dime, you put a nickel down and it squares the circle, touch a silver dollar twice and give me a twenty, then we're even and I can just give you ten.

No this isn't a trick of some sort, why do kids act like giving change is some trick. Nobody's out there trying to trick people into giving them money"

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah we get it, there's information printed right on the labels, that's what labels are for, let's go gramps it's time for your nap

I wonder how he's going to feel when he finds out those labels are mandated and regulated by the GUBMINT.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's actually a pretty common scam technique to wait until the clerk has already rung up the transaction with a round number and then say "oh hang on I've got the exact change" and try to confuse the cashier into giving them more money back than they're owed, since most people are genuinely bad at quickly figuring it out in their head and probably don't care enough/are too busy to double check with a calculator.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Professor Beetus posted:

It's actually a pretty common scam technique to wait until the clerk has already rung up the transaction with a round number and then say "oh hang on I've got the exact change" and try to confuse the cashier into giving them more money back than they're owed, since most people are genuinely bad at quickly figuring it out in their head and probably don't care enough/are too busy to double check with a calculator.

Someone tried to quickchange me once with a return when I worked at Old Navy and I unintentionally shut it down by a) being good with math and b) slowing the whole thing down and handling everything one piece at a time; they were basically trying to be like "I want to exchange this for this and this for this and that for this oops actually this for this" and I just took both piles, seperated the returns and the purchases, rang in all the returns, rang in all the purchases, and told them their total. Took me a few minutes to realize what had happened and why they were pissed at me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

Someone tried to quickchange me once with a return when I worked at Old Navy and I unintentionally shut it down by a) being good with math and b) slowing the whole thing down and handling everything one piece at a time; they were basically trying to be like "I want to exchange this for this and this for this and that for this oops actually this for this" and I just took both piles, seperated the returns and the purchases, rang in all the returns, rang in all the purchases, and told them their total. Took me a few minutes to realize what had happened and why they were pissed at me.

Same thing happened to me but they eventually got away with it after it took so long that another customer showed up behind them and I let myself get distracted and they palmed a bill

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
not the same, but as a food delivery, someone once tried to pay with a jar of coins and got pissed when i poured it out on hood of vehichle and counted it out for the next five/ten minutes before handing over food

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

World Famous W posted:

not the same, but as a food delivery, someone once tried to pay with a jar of coins and got pissed when i poured it out on hood of vehichle and counted it out for the next five/ten minutes before handing over food

Back in 2002, I was working at a gas station when a lady came up and bought a carton of cigarettes with a huge jar of change. I had her wait there while I counted every single coin. Other customers were getting mad at her but dammit, I wanted to make sure that she got that extra .19 back.

I also had a few people try to quick change me and like you said, keep all of the money separated and they cannot screw you over. My favorite customers were the underage cigarette buyers. They look so young and naive.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

the center-justified text is :discourse:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The meter starts out okay but gets so bad by the end, what awful teacher is giving that an A+

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can see the point where their definitely 15 year old non-boomer brain slides from "variations on a children's bedtime prayer" to "wait I've still got to fit in some punches against birth control and blue hair and band name t-shirts"

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

VitalSigns posted:

The meter starts out okay but gets so bad by the end, what awful teacher is giving that an A+

That just proves how far schools have fallen. :smugdog:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The teacher that gets 25% of the way through it and just sighs because they don't want to deal with the kid's Trumper parents.

Not that it's actually a kid that wrote it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also being angry about gun laws and then pretending to care about kids getting shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

Also being angry about gun laws and then pretending to care about kids getting shot

Also the fact that prayer was never outlawed in schools, they just don't mandate it for everyone. Which, I suppose is the same thing in their minds, but still.