Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Panfilo posted:

I never understood why it couldn't just be melted back down, even if it's not suitable for whatever parts it could still be used in something like insulation, packing foam, etc.

There’s more kinds of plastic than you can imagine, and the ones which can be treated like this need to be kept uncontaminated by other kinds of plastic for the process to work. There aren’t that many kinds which can, though.

And, yeah, it’s more expensive than new plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Normally don't post stuff from non family but jesus christ this dude is just getting crazier and crazier by the minute

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

the_steve posted:

Also, with the slow cooker, buy slow cooker liners. They are your friend.

Because of plastic chat I went to see if reusable slow cooker liners are a thing, and apparently they are! I wonder how well they work?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So Elon is no longer claiming to be an environmentalist investing in technologies to fight climate change?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Medullah posted:

Normally don't post stuff from non family but jesus christ this dude is just getting crazier and crazier by the minute

A lot of the reactionaries that Musk follows seem to sincerely believe any effort to address climate change is simply a front to control the population for nefarious means. You saw this with Covid, and it'll inevitably come up on the next major disaster that happens.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Panfilo posted:

A lot of the reactionaries that Musk follows seem to sincerely believe any effort to address climate change is simply a front to control the population for nefarious means. You saw this with Covid, and it'll inevitably come up on the next major disaster that happens.

And in so doing, necessitates the control of said population to address climate change

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Medullah posted:

Capitalism can't stop and is a major enabler of climate change soooo......

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Panfilo posted:

there's no "sincerity" it's just a way to keep from talking about the real issues while making themselves feel smart and important.
every conversation is a chess game and they need to win.
and the do that by chafing the conversation.
"we need to address climate change"
*burst of chafe* "so you hate babies?" :smuggo:
they win.

that's all it is. to attribute what they're doing to a higher strategy, or a sincere belief, is giving them far too much credit. it's dull, insecure people using trickery to "win"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dameius posted:

Capitalism can't stop and is a major enabler of climate change soooo......

Yeah but it's not like China/Russia or anyone is really doing that much better on the climate change front.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah but it's not like China/Russia or anyone is really doing that much better on the climate change front.

Both of those are capitalist though, so you'd have to look to the environmental record of more Maoist China or the Soviet Union and....oh. Oh. Yikes.

It's almost like long-term environmental stewardship isn't particularly baked into or even incentivized by either of the popular 19th century economic philosophies, and CEOs, vanguard parties, and worker collectives are all equally happy to put their short to medium-term material concerns ahead of distant global abstractions.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Medullah posted:

both would be good

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
richest and smartest man on earth can't figure out how to get in on the green scam that's so obvious twitter randos know all about it?
oh wait...he's making green cars...wait...while taking tons of government money...wait...
sometimes i feel like the world is a dot to dot picture of a jackson pollock painting

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Going back to food talk, had some friends over last night and decided to grill instead of getting pizza. Because of this thread I decided to make some home made potato wedges and they came out so good my friends refused to believe I made them. It really does feel good when you get some praise for home cooked stuff :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

InsertPotPun posted:

there's no "sincerity" it's just a way to keep from talking about the real issues while making themselves feel smart and important.
they win.

that's all it is. to attribute what they're doing to a higher strategy, or a sincere belief, is giving them far too much credit. it's dull, insecure people using trickery to "win"

I think you meant chaff here but chafe is low-key funny too

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Medullah posted:

Going back to food talk, had some friends over last night and decided to grill instead of getting pizza. Because of this thread I decided to make some home made potato wedges and they came out so good my friends refused to believe I made them. It really does feel good when you get some praise for home cooked stuff :)
make a home made lasagna for your pf group and suddenly you're the most popular guy there

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Love the double H misspelling.

"How do you confuse this generation? Place them in a barn with no butter so they have to churn their own..."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
1) do rotary phones even work with modern telecom systems anymore?
2) im wearing an analog clock wrist watch, never mind that some people do digital analog clocks on their phones

3) dont get the no remote thing, rabbit ears also dont work because modern over the air signals have some sort of digital encryption and tuner.
4) again i dont think this standard even exists anymore

6)oddly enough videogames have a lot of hand written notes for lore items, its nice that devs have both the hand writing and the print text function. (or fonts that look like penmenship)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I like how they think this is a huge own when half of that poo poo doesn't even work anymore because the technology is so obsolete the services that used them shut down decades ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've heard "kids these days can't read the wall clock any more because of the digital casio watches" since the 80s.

Teach them then? They're kids, reading a Renaissance adaptation of a Babylonian time system isn't innate. Show them how it works.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

1) do rotary phones even work with modern telecom systems anymore?
2) im wearing an analog clock wrist watch, never mind that some people do digital analog clocks on their phones

3) dont get the no remote thing, rabbit ears also dont work because modern over the air signals have some sort of digital encryption and tuner.
4) again i dont think this standard even exists anymore

6)oddly enough videogames have a lot of hand written notes for lore items, its nice that devs have both the hand writing and the print text function. (or fonts that look like penmenship)

1. they don't.

3. kids are too stupid to understand dials and buttons.

4. There are still ISPs serving dial up I think, at least as of a few years ago, but they were for rural and/remote locations that already had the cables run.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I convinced an old friend to learn how to hand make dough for big soft pretzels and cheese sauce for dipping and it got him a girlfriend within less than two weeks.

I mean, I think other things about him helped but she really went after him after he cooked for the DnD group.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

DnD group.

LonsomeSon posted:

girlfriend

Nice try, nerd!

kidding of course

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jagged Jim posted:

I like how they think this is a huge own when half of that poo poo doesn't even work anymore because the technology is so obsolete the services that used them shut down decades ago.

And of course that poo poo goes both ways, even if they'll never acknowledge that being unable to open a pdf is a shortcoming on their part.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Medullah posted:

Well, what was the recipe?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Electric_Mud posted:

Well, what was the recipe?

Oh there was no recipe other than "toss them in some olive oil, bread crumbs and various spices/seasonings I had sitting around and air fry for 10 minutes at 400."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m amazed that potato wedges are cooked through in 19 mins, I gotta try this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I’m amazed that potato wedges are cooked through in 19 mins, I gotta try this.

Might have been a couple minutes extra in it, I was drinking by that point. But definitely was closer to 10 than 19.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I meant to type 10 anyway!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also plenty of young people love to drive manual transmission cars. While some young people prefer not to learn to drive, plenty still do and have no problem driving a stick shift.

I think when a lot of what you know and feel confidence in becomes obsolete and irrelevant, there's this cope in acting like you knew some arcane skill that others are too dumb to understand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My daughter just turned 16 and learning to drive stick is the only part of getting her license that she’s looking forward to. (We don’t own a manual.)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The industry went automatic in part chasing boomer buying habits, so it is just yet another thing where the boomers created the difference and holds it against other people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter just turned 16 and learning to drive stick is the only part of getting her license that she’s looking forward to. (We don’t own a manual.)

but what about the other parts of the list?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PhazonLink posted:

but what about the other parts of the list?

I think she’d do fine, depending on how manual the dial-up part was. She’s never had to learn a Hayes command string, but I don’t think she would find it challenging if needed.

Mostly that list is “stuff we didn’t teach our kids dot txt”, really. Similar to the participation trophy stuff; I never knew how to use a slide rule or read a punch card (though my kid and I learned both at a museum this spring!).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nah if you read a punch card it will assume you’re a computer and never respect you, you have to immediately punch them.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I bet none of you youngsters never rode a penny-farthing, or chiseled a love letter into a clay tablet. You loving idiot babies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ATH0

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

they win.

I've found it has led to this fun psychological hack where if you force them to stay on one topic by restating it and the fact you're sticking to it every time they try to pivot, they'll be stuck in a loop for a little while of trying to do that while not being able to ignore you because they have to win and their one trick isn't working. They will of course eventually tire of this and make up a reason to disregard everything you say but until then expect to repeat the same thing twelve times, get a dumb relevant argument eventually, and easily shred it with the slightest of scrutiny, on a loop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Now including dad commentary!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Now including dad commentary!

The most extremely paradoxical thinking is that these people then want government services but then also never want to pay for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

The most extremely paradoxical thinking is that these people then want government services but then also never want to pay for them.

Oh no they will tell you repeatedly they paid more than their fair share while they were working, millions of dollars worth into Social Security that the DEMONRATS are trying to take away.