  • Post
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Ask him why European countries that offer "free healthcare, free housing, free clothing" have less unemployment than us.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Thank you to those that actually take the time to respond to these crazies with a well-researched e-mail that refutes their bullshit. As ultimately futile as it might be, I really enjoy the smackdowns and look forward to doing likewise when I receive my next right winger extended family email horseshit rant.

I wish I had kept it, but a few years ago I went back and forth with a right-winger family member over Oliver North (dated subject, I know). Naturally Oliver North is the Greatest Hero That Walked The Earth After Reagan.

Paranda
Jun 9, 2003

It just saddens me that no matter how good the replies are, they will probably be ignored. Has anyone here actually succeeded in winning someone over?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Paranda posted:

It just saddens me that no matter how good the replies are, they will probably be ignored. Has anyone here actually succeeded in winning someone over?

See, this is the real problem. They send some contentless jab about a retarded talking point (in this case, "gently caress poor people") and are literally immune to any facts or evidence to the contrary. I just want to lash out in some completely non-constructive way just to elicit any kind of response, hoping that it might actually get them to reconsider their criminal ignorance. Unfortunately, the whole thing is just counter productive.

I had an uncle tell me literally that my argument was less valuable because I was more educated. It's so retarded.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

TehSaurus posted:

See, this is the real problem. They send some contentless jab about a retarded talking point (in this case, "gently caress poor people") and are literally immune to any facts or evidence to the contrary. I just want to lash out in some completely non-constructive way just to elicit any kind of response, hoping that it might actually get them to reconsider their criminal ignorance. Unfortunately, the whole thing is just counter productive.

I had an uncle tell me literally that my argument was less valuable because I was more educated. It's so retarded.
I was surprised when I sent a response to a crazy family message that none of the 6 people who sent a "reply all" response to the original message had not even read the thing, they just saw a few choice words and thought "Yeah stupid Democrats!"

They were agreeing with a message that used the word "friend of the family" several times. Somehow that didn't jump out at them.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
*removed like 9 nested FW:FW:FW, also all of this is centered and on a lime green background*

quote:

86% will send this on......

BET YOU'LL SEND IT!!

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG,

OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ,

AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS,

ONE NATION UNDER GOD,

INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

I was asked to send on if I agree, or delete if I don't.
It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God.

Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having 'In God! We Trust' on our money and having 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I believe it's time we stand up for what we be believe!

If you agree, pass this on, if not, delete.

PLEASE KEEP THIS GOING,
EVEN IF
YOU HAVE PASSED IT ON BEFORE!!
Oh, dad.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 26, 2009

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

*removed like 9 nested FW:FW:FW, also all of this is centered an on a lime green background*

Oh, dad.

I like that according to the last picture Neil Armstrong landed on the Alamo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

*removed like 9 nested FW:FW:FW, also all of this is centered and on a lime green background*

Oh, dad.

Why is that man pissing on the gravestones?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Is there a movement to remove God from money? I hadn't heard of such a thing.

Or is it more like, "Those drat liberals are in power and want to take away our religion, UNLESS... we forward emails!"

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

VROOM VROOM posted:

*removed like 9 nested FW:FW:FW, also all of this is centered and on a lime green background*

Oh, dad.
you should send them a "if you do not FWD this you will have bad luck forever! and turn into a democrat!" and see if it catches on

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

shouldn't it be obvious by this point that to prevail in debate you shouldn't try to make up fake conservative e-mails but figure out ways to construct simple homilies and 'ironic' quasi-anecdotes around actually factual (or not, who cares) left-wing points of view

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

amateur economist posted:

SA should try writing it's own chain email that's just plausible enough to seem realistic, and then see how long it takes to hit our inboxes or be the subject of commentary on Glenn Beck
How about this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

Megiddo posted:

How about this:

nice picture. How about this for an article to go along with it?
FORWARD THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND MAYBE WE'LL WATCH IT ON CNN
IF YOU DON'T YOU'LL HAVE YOUR LOVELIFE RUINED FOR FIFTY YEARS

quote:

THIS JUST IN, BREAKING NEWS: NEW FEDERAL PRISON CAMP CONSTRUCTED FOR POLITICAL PRISONERS

Incoming news from Cumberland Gap, Tennessee: Local sources have confirmed that construction is underway for a federal prison camp. Small portions of the structure have been completed and inmates are already beginning to fill its cells. But they're no ordinary inmates. They're American citizens that have been caught and identified as Activist Conservatives by the Obama Administration. THAT'S RIGHT! They are beginning to target everyone who disagrees with them politically and PUTTING THEM IN PRISON!!!

We were able to secure a private interview with one inmate. For the safety of his family, we'll call him "John". John claims he had been surfing the government website "www.cars.gov" just hours before a SWAT team busted down his door and arrested him, and that officials have refused to state the charges against him. He believes that after surfing a number of Conservative Activist websites, he visited cars.gov and the website picked up on this previous web history information. Again, officials refused to speak with us on the subject.

I suggest that you start watching what you do and say on the Internet. Big Brother has a way of intercepting free speech going through the Internet and letting the Government know who sent it. Write to your Congressman that you will not stand for this sort of barbaric treatment, and forward this to your entire family so they can keep themselves safe.

if there were any spelling or grammar errors.... just imagine it was meant to make the FWD mail more convincing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Banana Factory posted:

if there were any spelling or grammar errors.... just imagine it was meant to make the FWD mail more convincing.
It's not quite there, because why would they let someone who was a prisoner be interviewed. Change it to "we talked to the family of one man, 'the Jones'"

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Too non-believable and too few statistics or facts that the person will (probably) not look up.

I would go with...

"BILL HR 3501 will make it illegal to criticize the new health plan"

"It would create a new federal prison camp, some already under construction (picture) that would house prisoners from the new secret and unaccountable court system..."

Or something to that affect.

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009
Here's the new version of the FWD, I think made a lot more believable, with some big words thrown in there for credibility. Let me know what you guys think

Megiddo posted:

quote:

THIS JUST IN, BREAKING NEWS: NEW FEDERAL PRISON CAMP CONSTRUCTED FOR POLITICAL PRISONERS

Incoming news from Cumberland Gap, Tennessee: Local sources have confirmed that construction is underway for a federal prison camp. Small portions of the structure have been completed and inmates are already beginning to fill its cells. But they're no ordinary inmates. They're American citizens that have been caught and identified as Activist Conservatives by the Obama Administration. The federal prison camp is authorized due to a bill in Congress that has been recently passed with little media attention. BILL HR 3501 will make it illegal to criticize the new health plan or the Government, and it would authorize the creation of a new federal prison camp, some already under construction (picture) that would house prisoners in a new secret and unaccountable court system...

Since we were unable to secure any interviews with any of the inmates, we talked to the family of one prisoner. For the safety of him and his family, we'll call him "John". John's family says he had been surfing the government website "https://www.cars.gov" just hours before a SWAT team busted down his door and arrested him, and that officials have refused to state the charges against him. The family believes that after surfing a number of Conservative Activist websites, he visited cars.gov and this website picked up on this previous web history information. Again, officials refused to speak with us on the subject nor will they give an estimated time before release. Since John is the breadwinner for the family, his wife and children will need to find some way to pay the mortgage soon.

There is no way to tell how many arrests have been made or how many inmates are within the walls of this new prison camp. All information about this facility are covered under "Executive Privilege" and therefore impossible to obtain, even with a Freedom of Information Act request.

I suggest that you start watching what you do and say on the Internet. Big Brother has a way of intercepting free speech going through the Internet and letting the Government know who sent it. Write to your Congressman that you will not stand for this sort of barbaric treatment, and forward this to your entire family so they can keep themselves safe.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

More paragraph breaks and we've got a winner.

v v Ho-lee poo poo this is perfect. I especially like how it goes all "FISSION MAILED" at the end. Can you throw a cyrillic or '&npsb' character at the end, like the government is taking over the message?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 27, 2009

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yes, you need to correct format this for e-mail:

quote:

>> Incoming news from Cumberland Gap, Tennessee: Local sources have confirmed that
> construction is underway for a federal prison camp. Small portions of the
> structure have been completed and inmates are already beginning to fill its
> cells. But they're no ordinary inmates. They're American citizens that have been caught and identified as Activist Conservatives by the Obama Administration. The
>> federal prison camp is authorized due to a bill in Congress that has been recently passed with little media attention. BILL HR 3501 will make it illegal to
> criticize the new health plan or the Government, and it would authorize the creation of a new federal prison camp, some already under construction (picture)
> that would house prisoners in a new secret and unaccountable court system...
>
> Since we were unable to secure any interviews with any of the inmates, we talked
> to the family of one prisoner. For the safety of him and his family, we'll call
> him "John". John's family says he had been surfing the government website
>"http://www.cars.gov" just hours before a SWAT team busted down his door and
>arrested him, and that officials have refused to state the charges against him.
The family believes that after surfing a number of Conservative Activist >websites, he visited cars.gov and this website picked up on this previous web
>history information. Again, officials refused to speak with us on the subject nor
will they give an estimated time before release. Since John is the breadwinner >for the family, his wife and children will need to find some way to pay the >>mortgage soon.

There is no way to tell how many arrests have been made or how many inmates are
> within the walls of this new prison camp. All information about this facility >are covered under "Executive Privilege" and therefore impossible to obtain, even >with a Freedom of Information Act request.

>I suggest that you start watching what you do and say on the Internet. Big Brother
>has a way of intercepting free speech going through the Internet and letting the Government know who sent it. Write to your Congressman that you will not stand for
> this sort of barbaric treatment, and forward this to your entire family so they can keep themselves safe.
>>
>>> WAKE UP AMERICA! AMEN!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
It is almost tempting to add in something ironic about the family losing their health insurance(way to go Obama), but that might just be going overboard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gripen5 posted:

It is almost tempting to add in something ironic about the family losing their health insurance(way to go Obama), but that might just be going overboard.

Nobody ever got ten million emails forwarded by saying "Nah, let's reel that in a bit."

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I can take a picture of a better sign, there's another one that's intact and looks newer. Or you could just add that the camp was set up during the Bush administration because as every Glenn Beck fan knows, both Republicans and Democrats are part of the cancer that is progressivism that is trying to enslave us.

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009
I like the new formatting! It adds a definite air of legitimacy.

Be sure to keep https://www.cars.gov hyperlinked, just to scare the poo poo out of them as a single stray click may send them to that deathtrap of a website!

What is a good image host that can handle the bandwidth of a million Activist Conservatives making GBS threads themselves? If one of you has your own host, we can also track the number of people trying to access it (or any future images from SA generated chain mails) and see how popular it really gets.

edit: and report their IP addresses to the government hurr hurr hurr

Megiddo posted:

I can take a picture of a better sign, there's another one that's intact and looks newer. Or you could just add that the camp was set up during the Bush administration because as every Glenn Beck fan knows, both Republicans and Democrats are part of the cancer that is progressivism that is trying to enslave us.

make sure its extra scary!

Banana Factory fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 27, 2009

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
On second thought, maybe it's not such a good idea - it might drive some crazy fucker over the edge.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Megiddo posted:

On second thought, maybe it's not such a good idea - it might drive some crazy fucker over the edge.

A crazy forwarded email will be a teardrop in an oncoming ocean of misery. If something happens I doubt it was because you sent an email.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I just received this one from my grandmother. It's not as acidic as most emails here, but it is worth posting.

quote:

From: [removed email address]
Subject: FW: Notes from a DC Airline Ticket Agent (funny)
Date: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 8:29 PM

From: [removed email address]
Subject: Notes from a DC Airline Ticket Agent (funny)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:43:40 -0700

> [...]
>
> He
> replied, ''Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on
> my
> luggage that said (FAT), and I'm overweight. I think that's very rude!''
>

> After putting him on hold for a minute, while I looked into
> it. (I was dying laughing). I came back and explained the city code for
> Fresno , Ca. Is (FAT - Fresno Air Terminal), and the airline was just
> putting a destination tag on his luggage.
>
> 8. A Senator John
> Kerry aide (Lindsay Ross) called to inquire about a trip package to
> Hawaii .
> After going over all the cost info, she asked, ''Would it be cheaper to
> fly
> to California and then take the train to Hawaii ?''
>
> 9. I just
> got off the phone with a freshman Congressman, Bobby Bright (D) from
> Alaska
> who asked, ''How do I know which plane to get on?''
>
> I asked
> him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, ''I was told my flight
> number is 823, but none of these planes have numbers on them.''
>

> 10. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D) called and said, ''I need to
> fly to Pepsi-Cola , Florida . Do I have to get on one of those little
> computer planes?''
>
> I asked if she meant fly to Pensacola , FL
> on a commuter plane.
>
> She said, ''Yeah, whatever, smarty!''
>

> 11. Mary Landrieu (D) La. Senator called and had a question about the
> documents she needed in order to fly to China . After a lengthy
> discussion
> about passports, I reminded her that she needed a visa. 'Oh, no I don't.
> I've been to China many times and never had to have one of those.''
>

> I double checked and sure enough, her stay required a visa.
> When I told her this she said, ''Look, I've been to China four times and
> every time they have accepted my American Express!''
>
> 12. A New
> Jersey Congressman (John Adler) called to make reservations, ''I want to
> go
> from Chicago to Rhino, New York .''
>
> I was at a loss for words.
> Finally, I said, ''Are you sure that's the name of the town?''
>

> 'Yes, what flights do you have?'' replied the man.
>

> After some searching, I came back with, ''I'm sorry, sir, I've
> looked up every airport code in the country and can't find a rhino
> anywhere."
>
> ''The man retorted, ''Oh, don't be silly! Everyone
> knows where it is. Check your map!''
>
> So I scoured a map of the
> state of New York and finally offered, ''You don't mean Buffalo , do
> you?''
>

> The reply? ''Whatever! I knew it was a big animal.''
>

> Now you know why the Government is in the shape that it's in!
>

> Could anyone be this DUMB?
>
> YES, THEY WALK AMONG
> US, ARE IN POLITICS, AND THEY CONTINUE TO BREED.

Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Grifter posted:

Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?
Of course not. What's surprising is that anyone hasn't already heard that entire "things heard at a travel agency" - I first saw it in '98 and I'm sure it goes back years before that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grifter posted:

I just received this one from my grandmother. It's not as acidic as most emails here, but it is worth posting.
Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?

obviously false, nobody would ever willingly go to pensacola.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Of course not. What's surprising is that anyone hasn't already heard that entire "things heard at a travel agency" - I first saw it in '98 and I'm sure it goes back years before that.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/travelagent.htm

They have an older version from years ago without any names.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Grifter posted:

I just received this one from my grandmother. It's not as acidic as most emails here, but it is worth posting.
Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?

This would be a fun game to play where we all make up anecdotal stories about people we've never met or talked to.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Deteriorata posted:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/travelagent.htm

They have an older version from years ago without any names.
Wow. Everything old is new again - the version I first read didn't even claim it had anything to do with U.S. Government employees!

SuperomegaBill
Aug 29, 2004

Grifter posted:

I just received this one from my grandmother. It's not as acidic as most emails here, but it is worth posting.
Is it really a surprise that everyone mentioned in the email has a (D) next to their name?

My favorite is that apparently Bernie Sander's idiotic moment is that he thinks that Florida is a thin state. Forget about the fact that Vermont is probably about half the width of Florida at best.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
You need to change the bill involved to something about speech.

I recommend http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-449.

Keshik

US Tax System Explained with Beer

Our Tax System Explained: Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.
The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.' Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.
But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'
They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
'I only got a dollar out of the $20,'declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,' but he got $10!'
'Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too.
It's unfair that he got ten times more than I got' 'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'
'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!
And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics
University of Georgia

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Would a chatlog be kosher for this thread? It isn't very long, especially if I were to edit it, but it really illustrates quite clearly the mentality of a lot of the Glenn Beck audience.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Keshik posted:

Would a chatlog be kosher for this thread? It isn't very long, especially if I were to edit it, but it really illustrates quite clearly the mentality of a lot of the Glenn Beck audience.

I'm down.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Keshik posted:

Tax e-mail
And, of course, another e-mail forward that wasn't written by who the e-mail claims. The oldest known version was apparently a letter sent to the Chicago Tribune (and the submitter didn't even claim to be the author).

NUMBER 1 DBZ FAN!!!
Nov 26, 2008

by Fistgrrl
EDIT: gently caress thought this was lf

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm down.
I pretty much never ever read chatlogs because they are invariably self-serving and uninteresting, so I want to be clear that I am not posting this because I believe my arguments are particularly witty, insightful, or biting (though I am proud of when I got him to defend slavery). I do however believe that my friend who I had this argument with represents one of the more cerebral variety of the GOP protesters against healthcare reform (no, really, I have known him a long time and he is not normally as frighteningly stupid as this may make him seem), and for that reason I think it's worthy of analysis. I've re-read his arguments a number of times and I keep coming back to the conclusion that the people who oppose healthcare reform are unanimously misinformed, misguided, or are deliberately and dishonestly trying to perpetuate misinformation and poor critical thinking skills among other people by any means available.

edit: gently caress me that is rather a lot of scrolling. here, you can read it here if you choose: http://pastebin.com/zEL4EESd

Keshik fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2011

Everett True
Dec 4, 2002

Keshik posted:

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics
University of Georgia

I love that the first google hit for his name is his university web page, the very first words of which are:

quote:

David R. Kamerschen

Complete vitae available online. Contrary to Internet folklore, Dr. Kamerschen is NOT the author of "Tax Cuts: A Simple Lesson in Economics" or “Bar Stool Economics” or anything similar to that. Additionally, he does NOT know who wrote it and he has no opinion on its merits.

Everett True fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 28, 2009

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That letter completely omits the part about the first four getting $80 a day for backbreaking labor in service to the tenth man, their boss, who gets $30,000 a month from the factory they own. This is marginal utility writ large.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Keshik posted:

edit: gently caress me that is rather a lot of scrolling. here, you can read it here if you choose: http://www.keshiklabs.com/txt/healthcare_debate.txt

No offense but your friend sounds like a babbling psychopath. I'm pretty glad that I have access to Canada because seriously c'mon.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4