Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Dameius posted:

"Nobody can read cursive anymore!"

The cursive:

Hey, that's Trump's signature!

TremorX fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost
Cyrillic cursive is cursed

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have no idea why cursive has become these Boomer brains' bogeyman; especially when second graders are still learning to write it. I think it's very weird.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have no idea why cursive has become these Boomer brains' bogeyman; especially when second graders are still learning to write it. I think it's very weird.

Everything that they learned was good and everything that kids learn these days is bad. Even if they're the same things.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
idk how effective cursive can and should be as a primary form of written writing to be digested by others, but i will say that my 11 year old has been working on it with their occupational therapist and it's been really great as a way to get them to slow down and think about their hand and wrist movements when they write, which has made their writing more legible and also has stopped them from going off grammatically or narratively because they can't let their brain get too far ahead.

and that has carried over somewhat into their printing and whatnot. cursive is great for some but ultimately not necessary to be taught generally as a rule imo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

aBagorn posted:

and that has carried over somewhat into their printing and whatnot. cursive is great for some but ultimately not necessary to be taught generally as a rule imo

supposedly, it faster to write than print. My handwriting is some horrible amalgamation of the two.

Mostly, it feels like when I was in school for the 90s it was for old school teachers to separate "smart kids" out from "dumb kids." My handwriting of course sucked so maybe they were right!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Learning cursive is one of the more valuable lessons you get in school, not because connecting your letters is an important skill, but because it teaches you that authority figures will lie to you to get what they want.

"You have to learn cursive now because you'll have to write everything in cursive in high school and college"
High school: no cursive allowed, and you should really type your papers just to be safe
College: no handwritten papers allowed

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Cursive is for dorks and always has been.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The only time I ever needed to use cursive in my life was when I took the SAT where they had a “honesty pledge“ that you had to write out in full and they required that you wrote it in cursive. Pretty hosed to be honest.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mooseontheloose posted:

supposedly, it faster to write than print.

If speed is important, note-taking during a lecture or whatever, you're better off learning/devising some kind of shorthand.

It's faster and more legible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The only time I ever needed to use cursive in my life was when I took the SAT where they had a “honesty pledge“ that you had to write out in full and they required that you wrote it in cursive. Pretty hosed to be honest.

I thought it was funny when the proctor kept repeatedly stepping down the requirement for students until eventually sighing and saying "you can print just... connect some letters."

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

VitalSigns posted:

Learning cursive is one of the more valuable lessons you get in school, not because connecting your letters is an important skill, but because it teaches you that authority figures will lie to you to get what they want.

"You have to learn cursive now because you'll have to write everything in cursive in high school and college"
High school: no cursive allowed, and you should really type your papers just to be safe
College: no handwritten papers allowed

I assumed that was just part of being an elder millenial. Cursive was taught with all the old "you'll need this" lines when I was a kid, then as an adolescent they were scrambling to teach everyone typing ("keyboarding" 😛), then by the time I was a teenager everything was required to be typed only.

I hadn't considered that anyone was taught cursive in the last 30 years. My kids certainly weren't.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Mooseontheloose posted:

supposedly, it faster to write than print. My handwriting is some horrible amalgamation of the two.

To believe it's faster is to believe that lifting a pen a fraction of a millimetre off the paper is somehow slower than drawing a bunch of extra flourishes, which I've always thought as utterly implausible. There's a study linked on the wikipedia page for cursive that puts the average speed of cursive and printing the same.

I've read otherwhere that a hybrid of the two is actually marginally faster, so congratulations, your horrible amalgam might be the most efficient of all.

Come to think of it, in the UK we were taught "proper joined-up handwriting" but it wasn't so slavishly "every letter has to connect" as the US form seems to be. And when I was in junior school we moved very quickly onto learning Classic Italic with fountain pens which screwed up everyone's handwriting from then on.

Nobody told us lies about having to use joined-up writing in secondary school, though.

Edit: ^^^ My kid was taught it in elementary school (in the US, to be clear) less than 8 years ago.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

This is the visual equivilent of when my friend demonstrated how he listens to podcasts at like 4x speed and it was just gibberish to me.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

generatrix posted:

I assumed that was just part of being an elder millenial. Cursive was taught with all the old "you'll need this" lines when I was a kid, then as an adolescent they were scrambling to teach everyone typing ("keyboarding" 😛), then by the time I was a teenager everything was required to be typed only.

I hadn't considered that anyone was taught cursive in the last 30 years. My kids certainly weren't.

Went to school ~2006 or so. Had an aging professor for one of my English comp classes that required everything be submitted to her on paper in long hand bc dammit, she's not changing to accept these new fangled computers for nothing.

I had to continuously remind that if she was going to insist on grading my papers based on A: me writing 10-15 pages a week and B; being legible, I was going to have to take my CP addled right hand down to offices and raise hell.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Polygamy is when you hoard all the chicken feet and only share with the two chads in the class.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Writing print makes my hand cramp faster than cursive. Too many sharp corners. I remember that from the last time I did significant amounts of handwriting, about a dozen years ago.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Panfilo posted:

Polygamy is when you hoard all the chicken feet and only share with the two chads in the class.

"Observed harpy bitchiness", I say objectively.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
These think pieces are often used to lay out :biotruths: about boys and girls, they also get used to support misogynistic ideas that actually women are catty and selfish while men are egalitarian protectors.

Much like the Lego quote I see going around a lot:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I would much rather Batman go shopping and bake cookies and go to the prom than anything the writers have made him do in the last 30 years

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

I would much rather Batman go shopping and bake cookies and go to the prom than anything the writers have made him do in the last 30 years

This is some grant morrison slander.

:colbert:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Little girls actually use their toys to act out tales of suffering orphans and courtly intrigue, hth

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I'm sure when they ran the experiment the other direction they found that if you give a boy a Barbie toy, he's gonna want to know everything there is to know about Barbie, and he'll try to think and talk like Barbie when he plays with the toy.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

jjack229 posted:

I'm sure when they ran the experiment the other direction they found that if you give a boy a Barbie toy, he's gonna want to know everything there is to know about Barbie, and he'll try to think and talk like Barbie when he plays with the toy.

The future liberals want.

I played with Barbie and learned Warhammer and outdoorsy poo poo from my dad. Maybe marketing and parental preference affect little girls’ play preferences? Couldn’t be, they are famously immune to those influences.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BOW-HUNTER BARBIE makes another smoothie for Kelly.

BOW-HUNTER BARBIE can slay a ten-point buck at 90 meters, but that's not all BOW-HUNTER BARBIE is about.

Despite the misleading name, BOW-HUNTER BARBIE contains camo-clad multitudes.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Elephant Ambush posted:

batman's origin was an objectivist who murdered suspects without trial.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

soviet elsa posted:

The future liberals want.

I played with Barbie and learned Warhammer and outdoorsy poo poo from my dad. Maybe marketing and parental preference affect little girls’ play preferences? Couldn’t be, they are famously immune to those influences.

All I remember is that I had Polly Pocket and Mighty Max toys as a little kid, but then my dad refused to buy any more Polly Pockets for me and I couldn't understand why.

Sure, Pokémon came out shortly thereafter and temporarily created true gender equality on the playground, but I was still bitter.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
New T shirt design just dropped

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Somehow I think she'd been filming this for a while... and ended a long time before any of this even happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Somehow I think she's been filming this for a while...

It's actually been a passion project for her for years, just read about it. She auditioned for it and they couldn't get funding to get it made early in her career so she went back and produced it. drat libs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

they made the entire movie over the last 72 hours just to make conservative pundits caremad

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes, massive lawns at campuses or any other large properties use residential grade push mowers. also students do them and not maintenance .

loving christ regressives have such a disconnect with like everything

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PhazonLink posted:

loving christ regressives have such a disconnect with like everything

Wait a sec... is being regressive shitheel and being disconnected with reality somehow related? We might be on to something here, folks.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
very easy to pay off 80k in student loans doing landscaping

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Any chud who says people should just work to pay off loans would never be caught dead mowing lawns for a living

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Elephant Ambush posted:

Any chud who says people should just work to pay off loans would never be caught dead mowing lawns for a living

Sure they were, from age 8-12 they were put to work operating heavy agricultural machinery before getting hired by their uncle to maintain his pumpjacks six days a week.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Sure they were, from age 8-12 they were put to work operating heavy agricultural machinery before getting hired by their uncle to maintain his pumpjacks six days a week.

And from 18-22 they mowed 10 lawns a week during the summer to afford their calendar year expenses on tuition, food, rent, supplies, and have a little extra left over for some gutter weed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Panfilo posted:

New T shirt design just dropped

It's funny that they're pretending like she didn't freely accept the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cat botherer posted:

very easy to pay off 80k in student loans doing landscaping

The willful ignorance is the most infuriating thing.

My uncle was able to landscape-job his way through law school and his bar exam, back in the day when that actually was financially feasible. He, and obviously so many others like him, just constantly refusing to admit that it doesn't work anymore.
Yeah, back when your entire college education only cost like $8k minus any scholarships or the like, sure, a summer or two of labor work was absolutely viable.

Show me a loving summer job now that would pay the $50k+ it would take now to get a college education nowadays that wasn't someone's rich family member helping out each other's rich failkids.