Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Replace the picture of trump with a picture of biden and repost it back to them

These people are so loving stupid

Edit: better yet obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Elephant Ambush posted:

I make my tea from reb tears #kinggeorgederangementsyndrome :agesilaus:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

Sincerely thanks for the quote, I never realized it was on mastodon which is why I couldn't find it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Elephant Ambush posted:

poo poo, replace "this guy" with "this flag" and replace the face with a queer flag.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Colin Kaepernick

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Colin Kaepernick

I always liked the outrage at him kneeling then the outage at the BLM protests "Why can't people peacefully protest????"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol "hurt your feelings"

"i think this behavior is beneath the dignity of the office"
"are you feeeeeeeeelings hurt???"

"trump says a lot of stupid and crass things"
"are your feeeeeeeeelings hurt???"

"trump's inaction and callousness killed millions of american"
"lol sorry your feeeeeeelings can't take that, snowflake!!!"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

I always liked the outrage at him kneeling then the outage at the BLM protests "Why can't people peacefully protest????"

And doubly so when it was a former Green Beret who persuaded Kaepernick to kneel as a more respectful option.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

NO HE DID IT BECAUSE HE HATES AMERICA AND HE SUCKS AT FOOTBALL - my dad

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pointing that out has had literally zero effect on anyone, as we've all learned to expect. There's always a reason why that doesn't count and it's still actually the Troop equivalent of the N-word.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Their feelings do not care about your facts.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
This was on the shirt of the guy in front of me at the gas station.

I guess he really misses 10% unemployment, wearing masks everywhere, and kids not in school.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

"well, why don't you then?"
"I'm not a [racial slur] a democrat."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost
I would pay these people money for them to try it

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

blackmet posted:

This was on the shirt of the guy in front of me at the gas station.

I guess he really misses 10% unemployment, wearing masks everywhere, and kids not in school.

Isn't infrastructure basically the thing he says he wants

Okuteru posted:

"well, why don't you then?"
"I'm not a [racial slur] a democrat."
My reply is something to the effect of hello, I am completely loving shameless about how I get money, please teach me how to do this idea of yours. As you might expect it's deflection roulette at that point.
(this probably only works because I'm a tall straight white Christian guy)

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Guavanaut posted:

The Engineer (not valid in states where that's a registered profession) has spoken.

How on earth would it be faster to recover, melt down, and re-cast (or forge) the steel than it would be to use existing stocks?

If only in basic logistics, it would mean that you couldn't even have a stock of material ready to go on the reconstruction until recovery was completed.

How does anyone think that Musk is anything but a drooling nepobaby at this point?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm a tall straight white Christian guy

Username/post disappointment

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Walter posted:

How on earth would it be faster to recover, melt down, and re-cast (or forge) the steel than it would be to use existing stocks?

If only in basic logistics, it would mean that you couldn't even have a stock of material ready to go on the reconstruction until recovery was completed.

How does anyone think that Musk is anything but a drooling nepobaby at this point?

Well there are two answers to that. One is that he doesn't think about it at all. The other is that he believes you could fish the pieces out of the water and just stick them back in place as if it was a failed Lego project.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My new venture kne'X will allow anyone to build a bridge in 3-6 months out of modular components made in my Tesla gigafactories.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's already bridge-shaped, just in pieces underwater! Half the work's already done!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, he's absolutely just assuming you could grab the metal, straighten it out, and weld it back into place. He doesn't understand poo poo about anything materials science or engineering and is any moment likely to start blathering something like, "Salt water can't damage steel beams!"

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
This guy who wants to reuse busted up construction materials is humanity's only hope of becoming an interstellar species!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost
"See the paper clip is totally fine!" I say as I try to straighten it out and it snaps in my fingers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Musk showing up at the bridge site in a 'work the problem' tshirt with a truck full of duct tape.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DarkHorse posted:

How’s that family who moved to Russia for freedom working out?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Musk showing up to the bridge site with an iPod submarine, calling the rescue workers there pedophiles.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Got an ad for a t-shirt store on my work computer that was certainly... something.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

some of those shirts are the longest book these people will read this year

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Skios posted:

Got an ad for a t-shirt store on my work computer that was certainly... something.

"Be not afraid father, I am Gabriel, messenger of Allah, rejoice at my coming!"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A friend replied to that one with "They asked God for a better parent, and they sent Child Protective Services."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I'd wear this one.

Edit: my third child can suck it I guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wow guess I owe Elon an apology, we found our innovator!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Guavanaut posted:

Wow guess I owe Elon an apology, we found our innovator!

I don't understand how people can be this dense. I sincerely hope that this is an april fool's joke or something. There's just absolutely nothing in that post that is attached to reality in any way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost
A large 3D printer... from where exactly?

Printing in steel presumably... again, where does this exist?

And printing what, exactly? What STL files of bridges do you have lying around? Even assuming you could use the previous bridge's design (you can't, material properties are different) those files don't exist, and if you use AI to generate them who is going to analyze, inspect, approve, and install them?

At least the bridge can have lots of extra fingers and knuckles

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DarkHorse posted:

this part at least is pretty much commodity within the industrial context, although possibly not really the type of steel you want for a bridge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dirk the Average posted:

I sincerely hope that this is an april fool's joke or something.
I'm hoping that it's a troll, but I know that troll or not people like Musk would respond "looking into it" so people that dense do still exist.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't understand how people can be this dense. I sincerely hope that this is an april fool's joke or something. There's just absolutely nothing in that post that is attached to reality in any way.

Dunning-Krueger gets misinterpreted and misquoted but there's some truth to the wrong reading. Some people are so arrogant that they assume the things they don't know about a topic must be inconsequential, because if they were important they'd know them because they're smart. This is a great example: this guy doesn't know a goddamn thing about what it would take to build a bridge like that but assumes that there's nothing important to know beyond what he already knows.

In this case he's doubly stupid because he's bought into the bullshit about 3d printing, AI, etc and assumes that it can do what he proposes here.

(This is the same way you get climate change deniers smugly asserting that they can "debunk" it by mentioning volcanoes, as if there's never been any climatologists who study the impact of volcanic emissions on the composition of the atmosphere and include it in their models.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DarkHorse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponylQTj_gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DarkHorse posted:

A large 3D printer... from where exactly?

Presumably from someplace like this company.

quote:

Beyond size, the EBAM 300 is also one of the fastest industrial 3D printers commercially available with a deposition rate ranging from 7 to 20 lbs. per hour. It produced a 10-foot-long titanium aircraft structure in 48 hours at a rate of approximately 15 lbs. of metal per hour.
I don't think we'd be able to print out the entire 1.6 mile long bridge in a couple of days.

E: Quick back of the envelope math- If it takes 2 days to make a 10 foot structure, then to make an 8,500 foot bridge would take 1700 days, or about 4.7 printer-years of work, plus added time for the vertical size of the bridge. It'd be almost certainly be faster and cheaper to roll the members and weld them the usual way than to try 3d printing it.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 2, 2024