Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Professor Beetus posted:

If you're not a disgusting creep, cooking is like a cheat code for getting laid as a cishet dude

I realized this in my early twenties, or as I describe it, I didn't want to be the guy who asks "Hey baby, what kinda hot pocket do you want for dinner?" The first time my partner, who doesn't really cook, came over to my house last year, she brought a bag of veggies and some cilantro, and basically said "Make something from this". I made a garden salsa, and it blew her mind. She said her brother makes something with those typical ingredients, but she had no idea it fresh salsa could also be made just like that, and now when she tells people about how our relationship developed, she talks about my cooking skills.

Cooking is such a crucial skill to learn, and it is absolutely one of the best ways to impress someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

Ah true true

For real though I think a lot of the incel poo poo also has to do with these guys having unrealistic expectations. They think they are entitled to someone who looks like Jenna Ortega but has a shared love for and encyclopedic knowledge (but not more than them!) of their favorite isekai or whatever. It's a symptom of these guys getting hooked into the reactionary pipeline and listening to guys like Andrew Tate. In truth many of them would likely have no problem having sex or finding companionship, they just don't want to do that with the female equivalent of themselves, because ( :ironicat: ) they recognize how unappealing that is.

I know my age group was targeted with a lot of the "Nice Guy is rewarded the girl once she is humiliated into realizing he was The One for her all along" movies and assorted media, conditioning us to believe the whole "If we keep inserting Friendship Coins we will be rewarded with a relationship with someone hot enough to be a model but insecure enough to never realize it" fantasy.

The Wheatus-Teenage Dirtbag generation.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You don't even have to be that skilled at cooking to impress most cishet women. All you have to do is make one simple dish that tastes okay and you will be a Good Cook to us. That's how low our expectations are.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
First time my gf came to my house I was so embarrassed to only be able to make a vegetarian burrito wrap. She appreciated that a man 1. Had any food on hand 2. That there were vege options.

The bar is shockingly low. We've been married 5 years now :3

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

You don't even have to be that skilled at cooking to impress most cishet women. All you have to do is make one simple dish that tastes okay and you will be a Good Cook to us. That's how low our expectations are.

My mother taught my brothers and I how to cook. Only one of us doesn't do the majority of the cooking. Not knowing how to cook as an adult is sad. Don't be like my dad and only be able to make cereal and sandwiches.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

VitalSigns posted:

That's always the complaint. The kid can pray silently whenever, it's literally impossible to prevent that since if you're doing it the way God said to no one can even know you're praying

And they can also pray out loud if they really want to, between classes, at lunch, before or after school, whenever it isn't disturbing other kids' learning.

They just can't force everyone else to observe their religious practices anymore.

The greatest part is in my day, the loving late 00s to early teens, we had the mandatory non-denominational moment of silence which the teacher would lead and end with an “in Jesus name I pray, amen.”

“Oh and other kids you can substitute Jesus for your guy.”

No prayer in schools my rear end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jesus III posted:

My mother taught my brothers and I how to cook. Only one of us doesn't do the majority of the cooking. Not knowing how to cook as an adult is sad. Don't be like my dad and only be able to make cereal and sandwiches.

I never understood this, I mean nobody has to be a master chef but all's that's needed to follow most recipes is basic reading comprehension.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

socialsecurity posted:

I never understood this, I mean nobody has to be a master chef but all's that's needed to follow most recipes is basic reading comprehension.

Yeah I would love to cook but I'm very impatient and like to just eat, but eating isn't generally a fun experience for me. That said, I have cooked a few things and gotten super great reviews because I literally watched a Youtube video or followed a web page. I've got a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe that I would always get requests for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah if I was on my own I probably would just eat sad goon microwave meals most of the time, or at least more than I ought, but cooking for other people is rewarding.

Of course there's a lot of overlap in the incel/socially atomized/internet libertarian circles who are skeptical of the whole idea of social reward, like with that "being married to a woman is slavery" screed. (Actual slavery tho, that's been misinterpreted by grievance culture trust me bro.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_steve posted:

I know my age group was targeted with a lot of the "Nice Guy is rewarded the girl once she is humiliated into realizing he was The One for her all along" movies and assorted media, conditioning us to believe the whole "If we keep inserting Friendship Coins we will be rewarded with a relationship with someone hot enough to be a model but insecure enough to never realize it" fantasy.

The Wheatus-Teenage Dirtbag generation.

A generation of Hollywood screenwriters that thought Ducky got the shaft

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Why mess up a good thing? My mom has cooked for him for 60 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Duck_King posted:

Cooking is such a crucial skill to learn, and it is absolutely one of the best ways to impress someone.

Also a really good way to save money

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Also a really good way to save money

It really is. It's always awesome to see the threads in BFC where people ask for help getting out of debt and they list out how much they're spending on fast food and eating out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

socialsecurity posted:

Ehhhh, you need the space in the kitchen, you need the time, you need the ingredients, you need the equipment, you need to know how to use said equipment, you need to know the little things about prepping the ingredients that aren't in the recipe, you need the patience when you're already hungry, you need a recipe that wasn't shitted out by AI in the last year. I understand why people don't cook for themselves.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Ehhhh, you need the space in the kitchen, you need the time, you need the ingredients, you need the equipment, you need to know how to use said equipment, you need to know the little things about prepping the ingredients that aren't in the recipe, you need the patience when you're already hungry, you need a recipe that wasn't shitted out by AI in the last year. I understand why people don't cook for themselves.

You also need time, even a "quick" recipe that is 20 minutes still needs some prep time.

I will say though it also makes you eat healthier too, if only for way less sodium. At least I feel like I am eating way better cooking at home.

Learning how to bake a dessert though, that's the real money maker.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
half my adult life is working in a kitchen. the last thing i want to do at home is cook even though im good at it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
has anyone pointed out the top chefs and cooks are mostly men and that restaurant industry is fueled by drugs, drug abuse, labor abuse, drugs, and sexism, and drugs and labor abuse?

also i thought regressives and their toxic manness said to be independent and self reliant?

so after I make my own gun , bullets, gunpowder, and other hunting tools, I kill a buffalo or some other animal, cut and prep it and bring it home to get kicked out of the kitchen?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 24, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
look, we need those drugs to get through this shift

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

has anyone pointed out the top chefs and cooks are mostly men and that restaurant industry is fueled by drugs, drug abuse, labor abuse, drugs, and sexism, and drugs and labor abuse?

also i thought regressives and their toxic manness said to be independent and self reliant?

so after I make my own gun , bullets, gunpowder, and other hunting tools, I kill a buffalo or some other animal, cut and prep it and bring it home to get kicked out of the kitchen?

That's the whole thing about men are chefs, women cook.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Animal-Mother posted:

That's all absolutely fair. It does take some time and practice to learn how to season things to your specific tastes, and even if you can make a week's worth of meals with a slow/pressure cooker or an instant pot in a very short amount of prep time, there's definitely some background knowledge required.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

VitalSigns posted:

Actually, I guess they wouldn't because gay male incels also exist, their personalities just so terrible they can't get laid on easy mode.

That's mad homophobic what the hell, saying gay men are slutty, being gay is easy mode?? What loving year is it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean it's just a fact that MSM have a higher number of sexual partners than heterosexual men, although probably has more to do with both partners being men than with gay men specifically being "slutty". Not that there's anything wrong with liking sex or having a lot of it.

I'm a gay man. It's pretty great to be honest. Gay incels are really missing out.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 24, 2024

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah, while it's homophobic to assume a gay man automatically has a lot of casual sex... Grindr still exists. Like, if a gay man WANTS a lot of casual sex, there's an entire app for that.

As a bisexual man who's way too shy for it, I'm happy for them. Seems like a great time. (Ignore all the nightmare anecdotes out there.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

(Ignore all the nightmare anecdotes out there.)
Yeah, you may run into Graham Linehan pretending to be a trans woman in order to 'own the libs' or something. He's such a gross piece of poo poo.

Speaking of really gross forwards

the computer (controlled by the freemasons ofc) is doing all the work, because imagine a person in a wheelchair being good at math! :eng99:

Animal-Mother posted:

This is a valid point, especially when you get pundits ranting about "why are those people always eating fast food" and it's often because they're in accommodation that doesn't even support half the equipment you'd need.

It does get made worse than it needs to be by

VitalSigns posted:

Although, cooking has always been a prestigious activity for men, but only if they do it professionally for money and fame
on celebrity cooking shows going "here's a simple dish, you just need 20 ingredients you don't have and this rotary slicer-dicer from my own personal range of kitchen equipment for only 59.95" though, until some people just write the whole thing off as dark magic.

It's neither as simple as the conservative commentators who have people cook for them insist that it is, nor as complicated as the chefs who have all day to cook for an audience make it out to be.

(Bonus Jamie Oliver as he somehow manages to be both :wankah:)

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I get annoyed at people who say stuff like “I can feed my family for a week on this simple split pea soup recipe, a mere .25 per meal.”

I’m sure it’s good. But people eat junk because food is a huge dopamine hit, and junk food is on top of that engineered to max it out. When you’re poor, McD’s fills a hole you need filled anyway, while triggering everything all your pleasure sensors ask for, and requiring no effort. Even more so when you have kids. A happy meal is 10000000x more tasty than day 3 of Stew when you are nine years old.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 24, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, while it's homophobic to assume a gay man automatically has a lot of casual sex... Grindr still exists. Like, if a gay man WANTS a lot of casual sex, there's an entire app for that.

Yeah pretty much. It's not that every gay dude wants to hook up, just like not every straight dude wants to. And I would be shocked if the percentages of men who do want to differed very much between gay and straight men. But like, all else being equal, the gay dude who wants to is going to have way more opportunities and I don't know a single gay men who would disagree with that statement because it's just a fact, not a moral judgment. The day that straight Sniffies exists and regular straight men can log on and pick from a dozen women hosting no-loads-refused cumdumps in their town in a given week is the day I'll agree straight men have finally achieved equality.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gay-incels_n_5af5c37ae4b0e57cd9f91b97
Interesting interview with a gay ex-incel. Basically gay men become incels for the same reason straight men do: they're obsessed with status and social hierarchies, resentful that they aren't at (what they consider to be) the "top".

They want to get only the hottest supermodels, and not mainly out of sexual desire really, but because loving them is a status symbol.

Recommend the interview, it has a happy ending, guy gets deradicalized and finds a relationship even in a small town :3:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's also the mental aspect of preparing your own meals vs buying them. As someone who struggles with cooking a variety of balanced and healthy meals for my kids, it can get hard to consistently make and come up with meals that are both healthy, enjoyable for everyone, and use ingredients I have available at the time. Meal planning, as simple as it sounds, takes mental energy to plan for. The marketing of fast food takes a lot of that out of the equation.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

As a bisexual man who's way too shy for it, I'm happy for them. Seems like a great time. (Ignore all the nightmare anecdotes out there.)

I'm straight but it seems fairly non-controversial to say that our society still has a lot of sexual inequality in how men and women are taught to view "casual sex" and while that sort of thing doesn't define every individual it still shapes attitudes and behaviors on aggregate. Given the base level of "getting laid a lot with lots of partners" being presented as a masculine virtue but a feminine vice, and how pervasive it still is even today, it would be surprising if straight, gay, and lesbian dating pools all had similar levels of committed vs. casual sex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

soviet elsa posted:

When you’re poor, McD’s fills a hole you need filled anyway, while triggering everything all your pleasure sensors ask for, and requiring no effort. Even more so when you have kids. A happy meal is 10000000x more tasty than day 3 of Stew when you are nine years old.
Oh yeah, one of my friends was telling me about that. He can put effort into cooking a delicious meal and his kids are like whatever, but if he says "I'm too tired" and brings home pizza or happy meals they're like "yeah way to go dad!"

It's crazy how your body and mind changes. I remember being so excited at the special treat of going to McDonald's and now...gently caress I haven't had it in years. Even when I do get fast food it's not McDonald's, it just tastes so bad. Well the burgers anyway, the fries still hold up I think.

Guavanaut posted:

It does get made worse than it needs to be by celebrity cooking shows going "here's a simple dish, you just need 20 ingredients you don't have and this rotary slicer-dicer from my own personal range of kitchen equipment for only 59.95" though, until some people just write the whole thing off as dark magic.

One problem with learning is that ransom recipes you find online are rarely targeted at beginners. They expect you to already be a cook and have say a well-stocked spice cabinet, cooking oil, and so on or else you're suddenly shelling out $50 for your "cheap" meal to stock full new bottles and jars of everything. They expect you to be experienced enough that they can leave out "obvious" steps and that you already know how to do things ("just fold it in!")

Goony but I got started back in the day with https://www.cookingforengineers.com/ because you can robotically follow their detailed instructions and it will turn out fine. Perfect for a beginner who needs a meal now. As you gain experience you can branch out. That and a book of basic techniques from a used bookstore with big glossy photos that show things most recipes don't teach you like how to, say, dice an onion

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Alton Brown is also good for that, as he explains a lot of the cooking science behind a lot of steps and is also waging a personal war against single-purpose kitchen gadgets

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember getting so loving pumped when my parents came home with a big bucket o' Popeyes. Was that affordable at some point? Seems like splashing out to me, these days.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Brawnfire posted:

I remember getting so loving pumped when my parents came home with a big bucket o' Popeyes. Was that affordable at some point? Seems like splashing out to me, these days.

Popeyes is still affordable somehow

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Panfilo posted:

There's also the mental aspect of preparing your own meals vs buying them. As someone who struggles with cooking a variety of balanced and healthy meals for my kids, it can get hard to consistently make and come up with meals that are both healthy, enjoyable for everyone, and use ingredients I have available at the time. Meal planning, as simple as it sounds, takes mental energy to plan for. The marketing of fast food takes a lot of that out of the equation.

Kids are meal terrorist and mine would eat nothing but graham crackers if we'd let them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Stephen Hawking
the computer (controlled by the freemasons ofc) is doing all the work, because imagine a person in a wheelchair being good at math! :eng99:

didnt he do most of his major discoveries and publishing before his condition got really bad? also having nothing better to do (and being before the Social media and streaming media wastes of today) he probably had a ton of time to just think things outs.

also reminders me of one of the early tiktok stupidity fads of Helen Keller being faked. No Tiktok, your just stupid and your skill is talking into a phone mic and cam to do SM shitposts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

didnt he do most of his major discoveries and publishing before his condition got really bad?
He did, and he also lived a lot longer than anyone expected when first diagnosed, so he had a period where he was intensely driven to publish before he thought he'd die.

Idiots assume that because popular science knows him as the computer voice man that's what he must always have been, and then just go in even worse directions from there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Especially dumb because mathematics and theoretical physics is nothing but reading and thinking about stuff, activities very appropriate for someone in a wheelchair to do!

Although from the meme it sounds like the disbelief is mainly about writing books, as though the only way to write is by hand with a quill pen or something. Clearly every book ever written was done laboriously by hand, what's dictation.

And even more especially dumb that they acknowledge he has a "computer voice". How does that computer know what words to generate? Because Stephen is capable of communicating input to it. So if he can communicate words that a computer speaks, it can simply print those words instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's like a club sandwich of gross prejudices disguised as ~secret knowledge~

Assuming that everyone in an electric wheelchair is severely cognitively impaired + those type of people have nothing useful to contribute + only I am smart enough to see through the matrix system = "it must be just some guy slumped in a wheelchair being remote controlled and voiced by the illuminati for ??? reasons because otherwise it would just mean I'm a gross ablist chode"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it's all stupid prejudice: they think disabled people are inferior subhumans. Someone in a wheelchair can't possess human faculties other than working legs, no, they must have an inferior brain too.

But it's very funny that their other big piece of "evidence" (how can a quadriplegic who can't hold a pen write a book) is completely disproven by their other insult ("he has a computer voice")

E: gotta love how the illuminati always leave very obvious clues. They could have trotted out a handsome athletic witty guy with a great speaking voice and said he wrote the books and no one would be the wiser, but instead they wheeled out a vegetable and pretended the computer voicebox was his because (???) They wanted the biggest morons on Facebook to see right through their gambit easily?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 24, 2024

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

VitalSigns posted:

One problem with learning is that ransom recipes you find online are rarely targeted at beginners. They expect you to already be a cook and have say a well-stocked spice cabinet, cooking oil, and so on or else you're suddenly shelling out $50 for your "cheap" meal to stock full new bottles and jars of everything. They expect you to be experienced enough that they can leave out "obvious" steps and that you already know how to do things ("just fold it in!")
I did Blue Apron meal kits for a little bit, as part of relearning how to cook worth a drat, and I remember running into some difficulty with a recipe saying (IIRC) "now that you've cooked the pasta, pass it through a strainer and rinse it with cold water". I sent them feedback over it saying "I'm a bachelor in a poorly-furnished kitchen. Could you let me know ahead of time if a recipe requires utensils like a strainer, zester, box grater, etc?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

E: gotta love how the illuminati always leave very obvious clues. They could have trotted out a handsome athletic witty guy with a great speaking voice and said he wrote the books and no one would be the wiser, but instead they wheeled out a vegetable and pretended the computer voicebox was his because (???) They wanted the biggest morons on Facebook to see right through their gambit easily?
I was just thinking along similar lines, they could have made it about virologist Dexter Holland or astrophysicist Brian May and said "can you believe this rock bro is really a top scientist, they are playing us for absolute fools" if they just wanted to fly their ignorance flag high but nah, got to get those prejudices out there too.