  • Post
Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
He fixes gas pumps for some chain. Not really sure on the specifics, sadly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Wait so is the grasshopper black people or are the spiders black people? I'm confused.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just don't get the "ACORN" obsession. Surely there's a better target. I didn't get it then and I surely don't now (although with the nature of internet forwards I'm assuming this one was created when ACORN was still a thing. Before they killed it. And refuse to just leave it dead.)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

myron cope posted:

I just don't get the "ACORN" obsession. Surely there's a better target. I didn't get it then and I surely don't now (although with the nature of internet forwards I'm assuming this one was created when ACORN was still a thing. Before they killed it. And refuse to just leave it dead.)

It literally was killed because the GOP juxtaposed the word ACORN with a picture of James O'Keefe dressed as a pimp. That's really what it was.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dominion posted:

It literally was killed because the GOP juxtaposed the word ACORN with a picture of James O'Keefe dressed as a pimp. That's really what it was.

Yeah I get how they did it. I'm just not sure why. Is it just as simple as "poor people"?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

myron cope posted:

Yeah I get how they did it. I'm just not sure why. Is it just as simple as "poor people"?

Republicans don't like it when poor black people go vote since they usually vote Democrat.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

myron cope posted:

Yeah I get how they did it. I'm just not sure why. Is it just as simple as "poor people"?

More like "black people" but yeah by their logic an organization that helps poor minorities must necessarily be doing something shady.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mo_Steel posted:

I've got my own version:

The ant works hard and toils as a dishwasher and night janitor at the only jobs he could find all through the summer, often 80 hours a week, to support his family of ants that he more easily supported before he got laid off from his better paying job at the bank. He notices a strange lump on his back but can't afford to go get it checked at the doctor so he ignores it. Winter comes and the grasshopper, who went on vacation all through the summer and had a grand time, returns home to his affluent father who ensures he has a well paying job in the family business. Meanwhile, the ant wakes up to find out his 20 year old car won't start, costing him most of the tiny bit he managed to save up while feeding his family. He tries to take on a third job, running himself ragged.

One day on the job the ant collapses and is rushed to the hospital by his concerned coworkers. While there doctors tell him the lump on his back is cancerous and needs to be treated with chemotherapy. The ant was lucky to find the three part time jobs he had but none of them offered health insurance and he couldn't afford it himself, so he goes deep into debt from the hospital visit and takes a second loan out on his house for the start of the chemotherapy. Because of the chemotherapy he is sick often, and gets fired from two of his jobs because he has no union to argue for sick leave on his behalf and his employment is at-will so he can be fired for any reason or no reason. Unable to keep up with his payments, the bank forecloses on his house. The family lives out of their car which barely runs and hardly has heat, and twice a week they are lucky enough to get a bed and a free meal at a local charity.

Two months later the ant dies of cancer, unable to afford his chemotherapy and checkups. His wife can't afford the funeral.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself.

Mention that the ant's former boss at the bank gave himself a bonus that was larger than last year's by an amount that was greater than the salaries of the ants he laid off.

Anyway. this email is leftover from back when ACORN was in the news, so it's not necessarily still a thing they bitch about.

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pththya-lyi posted:

And that Albert Einstein was Beethoven.

An abusive father relentlessly forces his son to practice piano and composition. Beating him if he does not comply and excel at these tasks. This father also forces the son to perform at will for any audience. The father takes the son's performance earnings. Should child protective services take this son away from his father?

If you answered yes, you just erased Mozart from history. Another reason to be against Big Government.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

myron cope posted:

Yeah I get how they did it. I'm just not sure why. Is it just as simple as "poor people"?

There was a video on youtube a while back (may still be there, i dunno) from a tea party rally shot by a middle-aged white guy who follows two black young adults (teens-20s probably) screaming "ACORN! ACORN! Get out of here ACORNS!" blah blah blah and I really got the impression that acorn meant friend of the family.

edit: relevant video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7VfjyNDfM

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 16, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

andrew smash posted:

There was a video on youtube a while back (may still be there, i dunno) from a tea party rally shot by a middle-aged white guy who follows two black young adults (teens-20s probably) screaming "ACORN! ACORN! Get out of here ACORNS!" blah blah blah and I really got the impression that acorn meant friend of the family.

gently caress, it boggles my mind that the people behind one of the most successful political campaigns in American history lost a messaging war to these morons.

I know, that's just even more mind boggling!
VVV

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dr Christmas posted:

gently caress, how did Democrats lose a messaging war to these morons?

They never attempted to win it in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They never attempted to win it in the first place.
Yup. Makes their good cop routine that much easier to pull.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Democrats don't actually want to win, they just want people to think they want to.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

You must be new here. If there's anything US Democrats are terrible at, it's keeping issues from being re-framed by right-wing politicians and that side of the media.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yeah, I can understand them not wanting to actually implement UHC or punish the big banks, but not that they don't want to win elections. They didn't even try.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The current president is a democrat and his chances of winning re-election are really good. The poor are still getting hosed but the democrats aren't.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
I think losing in the midterms was more down to :argh: ARE BLACK PRESIDENT :argh: than not trying. There was a ton of fear & anger in white America post-Obama.

Besides, the Republicans have a significant advantage in being able to frame debate. They'd rather drive the Overton window right than try to capture the center. I think part of this has to stem from their supporters willingness to support ideological purity tests. When was the last time someone was run out of the Democratic party for opposing abortion or opposing gun control legislation?

As a result, it's a lot easier for Republicans to stay rigidly on message than the Democrats. I wouldn't attribute this to "the democrats didn't want to win".

ascii genitals

TAKE TIME TO READ. It's worth reading it. Trust me :)

By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.

aww already posted, oops.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Bruce Leroy posted:

No matter what he does, Barack Obama can't win with these people. He's in a perpetual catch-22 where he'll be criticized no matter what he does.

If he sends federal tax dollars to all the midwest flood victims, he gets criticized for subsidizing the bad decisions of Americans who chose to live on a flood plain and increasing the deficit, but if he doesn't send money, he gets criticized for being heartless towards their suffering and potentially even a racist because most of those flood victims were white. Where was all this outrage from conservatives about New Orleans during Katrina?

If he gives foreign dignitaries modern, yet personalized gifts that are relatively inexpensive (e.g. DVDs, personalized iPods, etc.) then he's criticized as lacking class, being dumb, and even "being ghetto" by more racist conservatives, but if he gives them some really fancy and expensive gifts then he's criticized for being a kleptocrat who is using our tax money to send gifts to his liberal European friends.

If he doesn't bow to the Saudi King or the Emperor of Japan, he gets criticized as lacking class and being disrespectful to our foreign allies, but if he does bow to them he gets criticized as submitting to foreign powers. Where were these conservatives when Bush literally kissed the Saudi King and walked hand-in-hand with him?

They hated it when Bush did it too. Every last one of them. Of course, they're lying, but that's what they'll say if you ask this, because in their mind admitting you're wrong means you're no longer the alpha dog.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

namesake posted:

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar.

Is any of this getting through to you?

Like a balloon... and something bad happens!

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Chunk posted:

Wow, whoever wrote that really hates poor people.

One thing that causes me equal amounts of frustration and laughter is how conservatives think things like that are the height of humor and intelligence, but then the wonder why poor people tend to vote for more liberal and/or Democratic politicians.

And it's not even that it's just about poor people, conservatives spend the majority of each year stripping away the rights and protections for women, gays, blacks, Latinos, Muslims, and pretty much any group that isn't rich, white, Christian, male, heterosexuals, but then they lament how most people from those other groups won't vote for conservatives. "poo poo, why won't any of these Latinos vote for us after we spent the year demonizing all Latinos and enacting legislation to racially profile all of them as illegal immigrants?"

It's kind of like the schoolyard bully being confused about why he doesn't have any friends after he's spent the day tormenting everyone else.

myron cope posted:

I just don't get the "ACORN" obsession. Surely there's a better target. I didn't get it then and I surely don't now (although with the nature of internet forwards I'm assuming this one was created when ACORN was still a thing. Before they killed it. And refuse to just leave it dead.)

It seems to be that the obsession stems from ACORN helping poor people and minorities, both of which are on the conservative "poo poo list."

Think about it this way, if you felt there was a group(s) of people who were, by and large, shiftless, lazy, stupid freeloaders, would you really want an organization to help those people exercise their right to vote? Or hell, if you simply thought that the organization was registering people mostly for the opposing political party, wouldn't you oppose them?

The entirely untrue bullshit about election fraud from ACORN just serves as the perfect support for their confirmation bias against the organization even though they opposed ACORN well before James O'Keefe made his fallacious videos.

King Dopplepopolos posted:

They hated it when Bush did it too. Every last one of them. Of course, they're lying, but that's what they'll say if you ask this, because in their mind admitting you're wrong means you're no longer the alpha dog.

Exactly.

The best part is when you pull a Daily Show-style clip juxtaposition showing conservative pundits defending Bush for something identical to what Obama is doing or, even better, a congressional voting record for conservative politicians.

E.g. Paul Ryan. If deficit spending is so terrible and the National Debt is so "immoral" to leave to future generations, then why did he vote for tax cuts while at the same time voting for two wars and a completely unfunded Medicare Part D expansion?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bruce Leroy posted:

The best part is when you pull a Daily Show-style clip juxtaposition showing conservative pundits defending Bush for something identical to what Obama is doing or, even better, a congressional voting record for conservative politicians.

E.g. Paul Ryan. If deficit spending is so terrible and the National Debt is so "immoral" to leave to future generations, then why did he vote for tax cuts while at the same time voting for two wars and a completely unfunded Medicare Part D expansion?
There have been flyers posted on bulletin boards advertising College Republicans with the tagline "Tired of Being Broke?" with Obama's symbol replacing the 'o' in Broke.

Two massive wars concurrent with enormous tax cuts, the original TARP bailout, and all the other spending/cuts - and the Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility? :crossarms:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not to mention the age-old practice of Republicans cutting student aid. Most college Republicans are probably rich yuppies though so I guess it doesn't matter for them.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dradien posted:

Just had this posted on my facebook from my soon to be Step-Father in law.

:ughh: I don't even know what the hell.
You could always cut out the relevant comic from here. Hell, you could use all of them although it sounds like this person wouldn't really get the point.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lord, I got that ant and the grasshopper story from my grandparents back in 2002.

2004 and here it is!

quote:

> [...]
> >
> > The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
> >
> > MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!
> > > >

> > MODERN VERSION:
> >
> > The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building
> > his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
> >
> > The grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays
> > the summer away.
> >
> > Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and
> > demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well
fed
> > while
> > others are cold and starving.
> >
> > CBS, NBC, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering
> > grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with
> > table
> > filled with food.
> >
> > America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a
> > country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer
so?

> > Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody
> > cries when they sing, "It's Not Easy Being Green."
> >
> > Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house
> > where the news stations film the group singing, "We shall overcome."
> > Jesse
> > then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's
> > sake.
> >
> > Tom Daschle & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Peter Jennings
> > that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and
both
> > call
> > for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his "fair
share."

> > Finally, the EEOC drafts the "Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper
> > Act," retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined
for
> > failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having
> > nothing
> > left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the
> > government.
> >
> > Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a
> > defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a
panel
> > of
> > federal judges that Bill appointed from a list of single-parent
> > welfare
> > recipients.
> >
> > The ant loses the case.
> >
> > The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits
> > of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just
> > happens to
> > be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't
maintain
> > it.
> >
> > The ant has disappeared in the snow.
> >
> > The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the
> > house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who

They changed a few names to more recently newsworthy ones and added a line at the end warning that this will cause the entire free world to fold in on itself. This poo poo is just hilarious.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
From my mom's coworker: