Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

the posted:

I seriously can't understand how people who HAAAAAAAAAATE taxes expect the government to pay for anything. They're like little kids; do they think money grows on trees?

I suppose you forgot why our finding fathers fought? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

quote:

> 8. We have enough colleges to keep educating and making smarter citizens:
> University of Texas, Texas A&M,

With you so far.

quote:

> Texas Tech, University of Oklahoma,
> Oklahoma State University,

I, uh... OK, that's arguable.

quote:

> UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, University of
> Arkansas, LSU

Stop. You've gone too far.

(This e-mail was probably written by an LSU graduate.)

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
Christ, that's not enough ridicule.

I also wonder what they think would happen to TEXOARKLA's industrial and agricultural production after they're apparently no longer allowed to sell anything to the United States (in order to spite the libruls).

What makes secessionists so LAFFO to begin with — whether in the real world, like Quebec, or in fantasyland, like the small minority of Texans who want to secede — is the fact that the very first thing they'd do after becoming independent is ask their former nations for a free trade agreement.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
Got an email from a conservative accusing liberals of hypocrisy because when Bush the elder spoke to kids, the NEA and democrats objected, citing the recent cuts in the school lunch program while spending 26k to do the speech. She then went on to explain that liberals should have complained because of the cuts Obama has made to eduction. By cutting the DC voucher program.

When I called her on that bullshit, she went back of course to the DOE's suggested lesson plan asking kids to write to Obama and explain how they could help. I pointed out that Bush himself asked for exactly that in his speech, and now its shifted back to the vouchers for private school being more important than kids being able to eat.

At what point do I just write this off as arguing with the mental equivalent of a box of poo poo?

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

publicblast posted:

So that's where these e-mails are coming from.

Sometimes you feel like a nut.

Sometimes you are.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

stimpy posted:

At what point do I just write this off as arguing with the mental equivalent of a box of poo poo?

When the goalposts keep changing.

I gave up arguing with my co-worker because he told me Rupert Murdoch was a liberal. At that point I told him it wasn't worth talking to him if he was just gonna make poo poo up like a five year old and walked away.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Hagetaka posted:

I gave up arguing with my co-worker because he told me Rupert Murdoch was a liberal. At that point I told him it wasn't worth talking to him if he was just gonna make poo poo up like a five year old and walked away.

I'm at this point too. Every well reasoned response is met with more lies and topic changes by my friend:

quote:

"Palin's comment was an exaggeration of the end of life portion of the bill. Just like Palin and Limbaugh, there are a slew of journalists as well as Nancy Pelosi spreading viscious rumors about the opposition. Yes, there have been some gun toting hillbillies at the town halls, most are normal people including doctors (most of which) are against Universal health care. Obama knows Universal health programs are completely out of the realm of conservative ideology if he wants "bipartisan progress" he must drop it."

He just wants to declare victory for the argument despite me not wanting his input or to argue on Facebook.

This is the same guy who yelled LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS at me during a phone conversation then hung up. I have not talked to him on the phone since then.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
An idiot acquaintance of mine posted this on facebook along with the following title:

" For all of you Liberal wack-jobs out there... I have a little story for you. Read the Ant and the Grasshopper story."

quote:

THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER

This one is a little different...

Two Different Versions!

Two Different Morals!

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer
long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.The grass-
hopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and
plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building
his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and
plays the summer away. Come winter, the shivering grasshopper
calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should
be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the
shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor
grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody
cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Acorn stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house
where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.'

Rev. Jeremiah Wright then has the group kneel down to pray to God for
the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King
that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both
call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act
retroactive to the beginning of the summer

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of
green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his
home is confiscated by the Government Green Czar.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits
of the ants food while the government house he is in, which just
happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident
and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders
who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2010.

The funniest part was the conservative circle jerk it inspired where he and his friends pretended like this is god's honest truth.

EDIT - Pulled this from one of his conversations "Remember, stupid people don't know that they are stupid!" Irony at it's finest.

Tape Speed
Aug 3, 2005

by T. Finn

Hagetaka posted:

Yea, the whole pathological making up things on the fly like a five year old saying his dad works at Nintendo gets old, along with the inability to empathize with the sick or suffering if it means less for them, the lack of fundamental courtesy shown to officials or civil argument with opponents... the only conclusion I can come to is that being a Republican is for people who have retarded development in some aspect of their personalities.

Unless its your boss or someone you have to tolerate, just cut people out of your life if they insist on being vocal about this bullshit. It's not any better to tolerate someone being "outraged" over having to pay taxes so sick people can get care than it is to put up with someone who rambles on about how blacks commit too many crimes or whatever else

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Tape Speed posted:

Unless its your boss or someone you have to tolerate

My boss has been having problems with his email and since he lives in Arizona and I'm in Florida I remotely access it whenever he has problems. He is 80 and somewhere to the right of Rush but never struck me as lunatic level republican.

I saw his outbox. It was pages and pages of FW: FW: FW:. Birther poo poo, including the most recent certificate unveiled by Taitz. Anger over Obama "ordering" the post office to put out a stamp celebrating a Muslim holiday and pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. Alot of it is poo poo that was passed around years ago like Pelosi demanding flying luxery liners but dated 2009 instead of 2006 and one story of a couple who just happened to work at a local airport where Obama had a town hall and they told of days of transports flown in including cases of live lobsters which is about where I had to stop for fear of formatting his hard drive to try and exorcise the stupid from his computer.

I had no idea he was that far off the deep end.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Toasticle posted:

My boss has been having problems with his email and since he lives in Arizona and I'm in Florida I remotely access it whenever he has problems. He is 80 and somewhere to the right of Rush but never struck me as lunatic level republican.

I saw his outbox. It was pages and pages of FW: FW: FW:. Birther poo poo, including the most recent certificate unveiled by Taitz. Anger over Obama "ordering" the post office to put out a stamp celebrating a Muslim holiday and pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. Alot of it is poo poo that was passed around years ago like Pelosi demanding flying luxery liners but dated 2009 instead of 2006 and one story of a couple who just happened to work at a local airport where Obama had a town hall and they told of days of transports flown in including cases of live lobsters which is about where I had to stop for fear of formatting his hard drive to try and exorcise the stupid from his computer.

I had no idea he was that far off the deep end.

Our work email has been pretty much professional and free of this crap (a bit surprising since it's overwhelmingly GOP, I'd say between 80-90 percent at least), but we had a couple of right wing emails creep in recently. One was some Wall St. Journal editorial about Zeke Emmanuel being the death panel guru (I think it was from that same insurance company person that Jon Stewart annihilated on his show), and one was precisely the business about the lobsters (it was supposedly from some insider in the area at the Montana town hall on healthcare Obama had). Someone actually challenged the WSJ one with a mediamatters link and this stuff seems to have died out for now.

I'm not optimistic for it to stay that way as health policy has the potential to have substantial impact on our business.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Just got a long email full of low quality gifs about Obama being "The One" that was pretty standard fare until this little gem showed up at the end.

THIS really tells it like it is. After reading it -- and before you go into the bathroom to throw-up -- forward it to your friends and those you know who care about our country and what is happening to it under the rule of Commissar Obamanation

downout
Jul 6, 2009

This is a fun one relayed to me by a friend. He asked how should he respond to it. I told him don't bother. Once you see "liberals hate this country" it is impossible to do anything. This guy claims to love discussing and debating issues yet is completely incapable of arguing in good faith. He starts from random evidence and just creates or believes these warped conclusions.

quote:

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

Second Amendment accurate quotes http://cap-n-ball.com/fathers.htm You can look them up and verify them at BrainyQuotes.com
“Kennesaw Georgia Mandatory Gun ownership”. Google this term. See what you find.

The economy. How we got where we are today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN31-nKndg8

Weapons of mass destruction Iraq. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwqh4wQPoQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg195sgzXhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7n3ivH3pCQ&feature=related

You may not like the source, but this is the Democrats in their own words.

You asked me last night “did your parents use Medicare and Social Security?” Yes they did. Had they put 15.2% of their earnings in to their own personal investment accounts instead of Medicare and Social Security, they would have been multi-millionaires. When they died they had about $90,000 of assets instead of millions.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-05-28-federal-budget_N.htm USA Today article. Google “Medicare and Social Security unfunded liability”. Over $100,000,000,000,000. They system is bankrupt!!!!!!!!! The last thing that we need to do is put the government in charge of health care. What party gave us Medicare and Social Security? The Democrats gave us The New Deal and Social Security and The Great Society and Medicare and Medicaid. Both programs were passed with Democrat House/Senate/President. They have bankrupted the country. “George Bush’s War” is a drop in the mother loving bucket. All those Democrats that are calling this Bush’s War are noted in the Youtube links above. The uninformed, misinformed, ill-informed dupes that can chant “Hope and Change” and “Obama, Obama!” unfortunately have the same right to vote as me. Alexis de Tocqueville “Only in a Democracy can those that vote for a tax escape the obligation to pay for it”.

The facts.
The Democrat Party has bankrupted this country with the creation of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
The founding fathers put the second amendment in the constitution so we would be well armed enough to overthrow our government and does not apply only to a well regulated militia. Their quotes are noted above. The founding fathers that wrote the constitution know what they meant when they are quoted after writing the document. Case closed.
The Democrats made the same claims as George Bush about weapons of mass destruction until they decided it was politically advantageous to change their tunes as noted in their own words above. Saddam had WMDs and the ability to make them and hid and destroyed them prior to our invasion. He could have reconstituted them in a matter of days if he wanted to and had yellow cake uranium to make nukes. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/07/iraq.uranium/index.html
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused this financial meltdown and these organizations were created by, and wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democrat party. This financial crisis is the fault of LIBERALS and their policies. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html as noted by this article in the LIBERAL BIBLE The New York Times.
Man made global warming is a big fat loving lie made up by Liberals to stifle economic growth and control our lives. Most liberals hate this country and everything it stands for and are feelers and not thinkers. See the attached PDF.

Please do yourself a favor and watch and read everything I have sent you. Don’t get your news from CNN/MSNBC/NYT etc. and all the other liberal rags. The main stream media is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Democrat party and have a vested interest in Obama. The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves over what the media has done to the first amendment. They are cheerleaders for this administration and not journalists. They are a loving embarrassment to journalism. Stop being duped.

You are too young to remember the Jimmy Carter administration. Obama will be the next Jimmy Carter, a miserable failure. You can’t tax and spend your way to prosperity or borrow your way out of debt. You will still chant “Obama! Obama!”. Twenty years from now, you will realize you were duped. You voted for a media creation, a cult of personality, a reader of the tele-prompter, a community organizer, an America Hater. John McCain wasn’t my candidate but he actually loves his country. I voted for the lesser of two evils. Jimmy Carter gave us Ronald Reagan. Hopefully, Obama will give us a good conservative president and return the Republican party to it’s conservative roots. If not, we’re hosed.

Please go through all the attached info. It is all factual, whether you agree or not, it is true. Democrats in their own words. The America haters are in charge. Hope! Change! Obama! Obama! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8 . Don’t continue to be one of the people in this Youtube video. Spend 30 minutes of your life going through every bit of this information.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

downout's friend's friend posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-05-28-federal-budget_N.htm USA Today article. Google “Medicare and Social Security unfunded liability”. Over $100,000,000,000,000.
I've seen this "$100 trillion unfunded liability" number flying around lately. Where is it coming from? FreeRepublic cites the 2009 Social Security/Medicare report, which doesn't have any such numbers, although it does call for higher payroll taxes or lower benefits in the future to balance their budget. Of course, medical costs are what we're debating right now, right?

quote:

The Democrats made the same claims as George Bush about weapons of mass destruction until they decided it was politically advantageous to change their tunes as noted in their own words above. Saddam had WMDs and the ability to make them and hid and destroyed them prior to our invasion.
I'm pretty sure people started to question the common suggestion that there were nuclear weapons when the weapons inspectors completely failed to find any new WMDs beyond decade-old chemical weapons they had destroyed or buried. I notice that the quotes end in March 2003.

Also notable was Edwards' comment in one of those videos that they were receiving daily briefings stating that Saddam had WMDs and plans to use them. I wonder where they were getting that information....

quote:

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused this financial meltdown and these organizations were created by, and wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democrat party.
First, the bit about being subsidiaries of "the Democrat party" is just dumb.

Second, we could also blame Greenspan for keeping interest rates low, which encouraged investors to seek more profitable returns, like the housing market. Or we could blame the banks, insurers, ratings agencies, and investors who pumped up the derivatives markets and housing loans to ridiculous levels on the assumption houses never lose value and everyone pays their loans. Or we could blame federal regulators like the Office of Thrift Supervision for being too eager to bring in business, which paid their bills, by turning a blind eye to market problems.

There were a lot of people getting greedy during the housing bubble and the financial derivatives bubble, and to say that nobody else is to blame because Fannie and Freddie... did... something... is extremely short-sighted. Yes, Democrats encouraged loans to lower-income families. No, Democrats did not force banks to hand out million-dollar loans like candy.

quote:

Don’t get your news from CNN/MSNBC/NYT etc. and all the other liberal rags. The main stream media is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Democrat party and have a vested interest in Obama.
And that's why Fox News, which has a 50% share in all cable news for all time slots of the day, is a liberal mouthpiece. Wait, what?

(I agree that Fox, CNN, and MSNBC are all awful these days, though.

But if the guy is linking "How Obama Got Elected" and throwing out all these talking points, he's a lost cause. He wants to believe, and I doubt any amount of fact-checking will help.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 14, 2009

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yes, Democrats encouraged loans to lower-income families. No, Democrats did not force banks to hand out million-dollar loans like candy.

Could I get some info on this? I've had friends of mine say that the whole financial mess is because democrats passed a bill saying banks couldn't refuse loans to minorites or some crazy poo poo. Is any of that true?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

crime fighting hog posted:

Could I get some info on this? I've had friends of mine say that the whole financial mess is because democrats passed a bill saying banks couldn't refuse loans to minorites or some crazy poo poo. Is any of that true?

In the late 1970's, a billed was passed that made it illegal for banks to deny loans based on the address of who they were loaning the money to. This was to prevent banks from denying loans to applicants purely based on the fact that they lived in a poor black neighborhood.

This legislation was overall meaningless because it didn't really have any teeth to it. Banks can always find reasons to deny giving out a load. It did NOT in any way force any banks to issue any loans. It was intended to try and reduce discrimination.

How this piece of legislation could have caused a financial crisis 40 years later is anyones guess. (It didn't.)

Edit: It was called The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA).

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 14, 2009

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Gripen5 posted:

In the late 1970's, a billed was passed that made it illegal for banks to deny loans based on the address of who they were loaning the money to. This was to prevent banks from denying loans to applicants purely based on the fact that they lived in a poor black neighborhood.

This legislation was overall meaningless because it didn't really have any teeth to it. Banks can always find reasons to deny giving out a load. It did NOT in any way force any banks to issue any loans. It was intended to try and reduce discrimination.

How this piece of legislation could have caused a financial crisis 40 years later is anyones guess. (It didn't.)

Edit: It was called The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA).

I don't know if you can call HMDA toothless.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I don't know if you can call HMDA toothless.

Well, that was passed under LBJ, and all I keep hearing is how much it was Carter's fault. Maybe I missed something.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Gripen5 posted:

Maybe I missed something.

I pretty much tell myself this everytime I get confused over politics or when someone I know makes an insane claim like death panels and poo poo.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

crime fighting hog posted:

The narrative I always hear is Carter wrote the CRA to make banks give loans to the irresponsible, Clinton enforced it and Obama worked on the case that gave it legal precedent.

This is the narrative my father and his side of the family have bought into. It doesn't matter that it's not true; it just "sounds right". By that of course; it's all the liberals, minorities and poor peoples fault the economy tanked.

Never mind the banks that made the bad loans weren't subject to the CRA or the deregulation of the CDS market turning a $900 billion market into a $62 trillion market based solely on speculation.

Also Cato did a study in the late 90's and found that the CRA did little to increase minority home ownership. Then when the economy tanked; it was all the CRAs fault.

Even better before the economy tanked, a FWD:FWD: went around as a Bush resignation speech and proudly stating how under his presidency he increased not only the amount of home owners, but MINORITY home owners.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

quote:

Jesus is coming back. I'm ready. Are you?

quote:

“Banks will close, currency will change, what happened last fall was a shadow of what’s coming,” says Dr. Richard Ruhling, author on current events and Bible prophecy, noting that when the U.S. Senate met to approve a $760 billion bailout, the new moon on October 1 signaled the Feast of Trumpets, Lev 23:24. Anciently they blew trumpets for 10 days until the Day of Atonement; last fall our markets crashed for
10 days in a different kind of at-one-ment. “History does not repeat, but it does rhyme,” Mark Twain.

Intersecting events and biblical timelines suggest expectancy for this Feast of Trumpets, September 21 (visible crescent of new moon) when “all green grass [is] burnt up” Revelation 8:7. We might expect this first trumpet of Revelation 8 to occur on the Feast of Trumpets because grass represents wealth or riches and “as the flower of the grass, so shall the rich man fade,” James 1:9-11, KJV.

Calamity is expected because the first trumpet of Revelation 8:7 is preceded by an earthquake, verse 5. Earthquake may initiate “the day of the Lord” as in Joel 2:10,11, 1Thessalonians 5:2,3 says Ruhling. Earthquake was also how the ancient church of Laodicea ended. That last church of seven was lukewarm with materialism. Many believe their description also fit western Christianity (type and antitype).

War is expected in connection with “the day of the Lord” when [God] will gather all [United?] nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city shall be taken and the houses rifled and the women ravished... Then shall the Lord go forth and fight against those nations.” Zechariah 14:1-5 includes an “earthquake.”

Iran? When asked about the end of the world, Christ said to understand Daniel (Matthew 24:3,15) and Gabriel tells Daniel that his vision of a ram is “at the time of the end,” Daniel 8:17. This political cartoon depicted a ram that got both horns broken. The horns were the kings of Media and Persia (ancestors of Iraq and Iran, Daniel 8:20. With the execution of Saddam, this prophecy is half fulfilled. And last week the White House reflected concern about nuclear Iran.

Summary: Expectancy for economic woes and war with Iran could be based on other news sources, but it’s interesting to see that the Bible said it first and has relevant information for our time.
Please keep your mind open, and pray.

I guess we're at the edge of the rapture.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Here's one from a friend's boss, interestingly linking to an ACLU anti-national ID card effort.

quote:

Ordering a Pizza in 2015

This is absolutely hilarious, but the scary part about it is that it's probably not too far away from being reality, providing Obama has his way with socialized medicine, and digitizing medical records.

Want to know how to order a pizza in 2015? Click the link and see.

Turn up the volume, listen closely and watch the pointer!

http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

Interestingly, computer interfaces in 2015 appear to have degraded significantly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CDOR Gemini posted:

Here's one from a friend's boss, interestingly linking to an ACLU anti-national ID card effort.

Interestingly, computer interfaces in 2015 appear to have degraded significantly.

It's funny because this animation has a mish mash of things that right wingers have been both for and against, depending on the circumstances.

They are all about the National I.D. card when it comes to people voting, and total information awareness and tracking when it comes to the antiterrorism security state.

Put it in the context of ordering a pizza, and WHOOOAAAAAH.

I'm pretty sure that animation is a lot older than the Obama Administration.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
All of that is great and I wish they would enact those changes.

EDIT: LOL? And the link at the end goes to the ACLU. Aren't they the sworn enemy of conservatives?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not surprising but in-context its not about Obama or health care at all and is significantly less crazy:

http://aclu.org/pizza/

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bozz posted:

I'd like to get other's reactions to this before I post my own thoughts.
I've found, in my experience, that often the best response when people degenerate into spewing, "Hurr the government isn't the solution it's always the problem," is to backhand the person across the face and yell, "Hey moron! - Government was created in the first place specifically to be the solution to a whole host of problems."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CDOR Gemini posted:

Sorry, are they arguing against the digitization of medical records? What the gently caress that is just god drat retarded.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Slippery slope argument. If you create a national medical database it's only a matter of time before it gets sold off to advertisers or whatever!

I dunno.

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007

Deuce posted:

Slippery slope argument. If you create a national medical database it's only a matter of time before it gets sold off to advertisers or whatever!

I dunno.

But isn't that the free market at work?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gripen5 posted:

The practice the CRA was written to stop was called "redlining." Check out some of the zoning maps on Wikipedia -- they actually divided cities like Philadelphia into rich (white) and poor (minority) areas on the presumption that the former would repay loans and the latter wouldn't. Result: Nobody in "black" neighborhoods could get funding to start businesses or build homes. With no banking support, the poor parts of major cities rotted away.

The argument that the CRA forced banks to lend money to those unreliable blacks is simply another way to create a conversational hedge against blaming banks, the government, investors, and greedy house-flippers for a market bubble everyone had a hand in creating.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not surprising but in-context its not about Obama or health care at all and is significantly less crazy:

Ugh. Now who's fearmongering? They don't help their cause with such blatant hyperbole.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

RagnarokAngel posted:

No, that's pretty much just-as-crazy.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No, that's pretty much just-as-crazy.

In the future, the cute sounding girl at the pizza place will be able to see that you are, in fact, impotent.

Enjoy your sprout sub, loser!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

savetheclocktower posted:

With you so far.

I, uh... OK, that's arguable.

Stop. You've gone too far.

(This e-mail was probably written by an LSU graduate.)

University of Louisiana as a gem of your national education system? I just spent two years working there, and drat, that's just incredible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Found this on snopes (The prayer part is true)

quote:

On September 25th there will be a national prayer gathering of Muslims on the west front of the U.S. Capitol Building. They are expecting at least 50,000 to attend from mosques all across America. They say that they want America to see how they pray!

A permit for this gathering was issued by Capitol Hill Police on July 28th. They will gather to pray from 4:00 AM until 7:00 PM.

The gathering will take place by the site where U.S. Presidents have been inaugurated since 1981. The organizers say that it was Obama's inauguration speech in January and his speech broadcast from Egypt in June that gave them the idea for this prayer gathering on Capitol Hill.

They have a wesite set up for this event. To view it go to: islamoncapitolhill.com. The site features a logo with a red, white and blue hand shaking a light brown hand with the words to the preamble to the Constitution and a page of Arabic text in the background.

It is not yet known who will lead their main prayer service at 1:00 PM nor is it yet known who will preach the sermon. However, they have been working dilgently to raise money to televise the event.

As I received this news, the Lord immediately brought back to mind the words that He spoke to me quite some time ago saying, "I have strengthened Russia and China to come against America and Islam shall rise up from within America because the last three administrations have given Islam a seat of authority here in America."

He has had me share this whereever He sent me to speak and no one really wanted to hear it. Nevertheless, it is here! It is happening! Russia and China have been testing America, and Islam is arising!

These nations are but rods of judgment in the hands of Almighty God against our nation because we have turned our back on Him, His will, and His ways. Our nation has been given over to a false god with a false prophet at the helm. Dear Lord, in wrath remember mercy!

If ever we needed to be crying out for mercy for America , it is now! We must stand strong and speak Truth whereever we are and at every given opportunity. We cannot be intimidated by the enemies of our God. Let us share the true Gospel of Yeshua the Messiah at every given opportunity. When the Great commission was given it was given to all of us, in America not just some of us. May there be multitudes come in to the Kingdom of God while there is yet time.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Found this on snopes (The prayer part is true)

There are some people on Free Republic talking about they're going to murder people that go to that event.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Got this one over the weekend from my boss. I guess this is the new version of the "welcome to the republican party :smug:"

quote:

Maybe this will wake some of the younger folks up. This is really hitting the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

Letter from Grandpa

John G. is 63 years old and owns a small business. He's a life-long
Republican and sees his dream of retiring next year has all but
evaporated. With the stock market crashing and new taxes coming his way,
John assumes now that he will work to his dying day.

John has a granddaughter. Ashley is a recent college grad. She drives a
flashy hybrid car, wears all the latest fashions, and loves to go out to
nightclubs and restaurants. Ashley campaigned hard for Barak Obama.
After the election she made sure her grandfather (and all other
Republican family members) received a big I told-you-so earful on how
the world is going to be a much better place now that her party is
taking over.

Having lost both roommates, Ashley recently ran short of cash and cannot
pay the rent (again) on her 3 bedroom townhouse. Like she has done many
times in the past, she emailed her grandfather asking for some financial
help. Here is his reply:

Sweetheart,

I received your request for assistance. Ashley, you know I love you
dearly and I'm sympathetic to your financial plight. Unfortunately,
times have changed. With the election of President Obama, your
grandmother and I have had to set forth a bold new economic plan of our
own..."The Ashley Economic Empowerment Plan." Let me explain.

Your grandmother and I are life-long, wage-earning tax payers. We have
lived a comfortable life, as you know, but we have never had the fancier
things like European vacations, luxury cars, etc. We have worked hard
and were looking forward to retiring soon. But the plan has changed.
Your president is raising our personal and business taxes significantly.
He says it is so he can give our hard earned money to other people. Do
you know what this means, Ashley? It means less for us, and we must cut
back on many business and personal expenses.

You know the wonderful receptionist who worked in my office for more
than 23 years? The one who always gave you candy when you came over to
visit? I had to let her go last week. I can't afford to pay her salary
and all of the government mandated taxes that go with having employees.
Your grandmother will now work 4 days a week to answer phones, take
orders and handle the books. We will be closed on Fridays and will lose
even more income.

I'm also very sorry to report that your cousin Frank will no longer be
working summers in the warehouse. I called him at school this morning.
He already knows about it and he's upset because he will have to give up
skydiving and his yearly trip to Greenland to survey the polar bears.

That's just the business side of things. Some personal economic effects
of Obama's new taxation policies include none other than you. You know
very well that over the years your grandmother and I have given you
thousands of dollars in cash, tuition assistance, food, housing,
clothing, gifts, etc., etc. But by your vote, you have chosen to help
others -- not at your expense -- but at our expense.

If you need money now sweetheart, I recommend you call 202-456-1111.
That is the direct phone number for the White House. You yourself told
me how foolish it is to vote Republican. You said Mr. Obama is going to
be the People's President, and is going to help every American live a
better life. Based on everything you've told me, along with all the
promises we heard during the campaign, I'm sure Mr. Obama will be happy
to transfer some stimulus money into your bank account. Have him call me
for the account number which I memorized years ago.

Perhaps you can now understand what I've been saying all my life: those
who vote for a president should consider the impact on the nation as a
whole, and not be just concerned with what they can get for themselves.
What Obama supporters don't seem to realize is all of the money he is
redistributing to illegal aliens and non-taxpaying Americans (the
so-called "less fortunate") comes from tax-paying families.

Remember how you told me, "Only the richest of the rich will be
affected"? Well guess what, honey? Because we own a business, your
grandmother and I are now considered to be the richest of the rich. On
paper, it might look that way, but in the real world, we are far from
it.

As you said while campaigning for Obama, some people will have to carry
more of the burden so all of America can prosper. You understand what
that means, right? It means that raising taxes on productive people
results in them having less money; less money for everything, including
granddaughters.

I'm sorry, Ashley, but the well has run dry. The free lunches are over.
I have no money to give you now.

So, congratulations on your choice for "change." For future reference, I
encourage you to try and add up the total value of the gifts and cash
you have received from us, just since you went off to college, and
compare it to what you expect to get from Mr. Obama over the next 4 (or
8) years. I have not kept track of it, Ashley. It has all truly been the
gift of our hearts.

Remember, we love you dearly....but from now on you'll need to call the
number mentioned above. Your "Savior" has the money we would have given
to you. Just try and get it from him.

Good luck, sweetheart.

Love,

Grandpa.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

gramps is kind of a dick

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Good thing there were no payroll taxes before Obama took office. Them sure was the good ol' days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

publicblast posted:

Good thing there were no payroll taxes before Obama took office. Them sure was the good ol' days.

Outside of the increase in the cigarette tax and the AIG bonus taxes, has taxes even changed at all in the last 8 months? I don't see how a single thing that grumpy Gramps brings up has anything to do with Obama other than that Ashely campaigned for him and then decided to shove it in her relatives' faces that he won.