Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Verge posted:

One of the technicians that maintains my Harley is a woman. I happen to view her mechanical wisdom more than most of the men there, as an anecdote. In fact, just off gut feeling, if I had to pick a mechanic for troubleshooting, I'd probably assume the one dudebro would be more likely to find the fix while she'd be more likely to do a good job, so I'd have her give it a once over first and submit it to him if she couldn't find it (he just SEEMS like he's got more hours, maybe 'cause he's older). That being said, with day to day poo poo, no one's gonna make it last longer than her. Not because she's a woman and that makes her "technical" or "thorough" but because she's a tech that happens to have good traits for a tech.

My girlfriend could probably wreck your face and I respect her on those grounds (just as I would a man). I feel the qualifier is necessary that I wouldn't say that I disrespect a woman for an inability to wreck faces, or a man, for that matter.

Did it ever strike anyone that people like me simply respect masculine people but don't run into enough masculine women to see us respect them for it?

Talkin' poo poo about someone being a wussy, especially a specific person and not a more general, "Wussies are bitches," way amongst dudebros is dickish, totally. Talkin' poo poo about a woman fixin' her car is just...weird, to me. Women who fix cars are hot. -Fixes his girlfriend's moped whilst grumbling.- She couldn't identify the loving spark plug, man!

e: and don't get on me about objectifying women! Many times I've been told I'm hot when I'm fixing a car (which is actually a task that I'm terrible at) so don't even!

What the gently caress is this jumble of word salad and how the hell were these even a response to what those other posters said? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've seen pretty much a 100% overlap between people who, during the worst of the recession, were saying "You got laid off? The McDonalds has a Now Hiring sign up, what, are you too good to work at all? There's a ton of jobs out there, you're just a big baby that doesn't want to do hard work" and the people that are now saying "Who do you think you are demanding better wages, conditions, and benefits? You work at McDonalds, those jobs are for teenagers not people trying to support a family, get a real job!"

Most of the places with now hiring signs probably aren't even hiring. They just want to be able to more easily replace their current employees.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

robotsinmyhead posted:

The ones that get me are the "I have to put FOOD on the table!" types, then proceed to take a week off of work and spend a few thousand dollars on permits, guns, camo, tree stands, ATVs, etc. to go bag some scrawny buck.

The other thing I see is people saingy how peaceful it is being all alone in the woods at 5am with nothing but your thoughts and nature - that part of the equation is actually free, you can do it 24/7 365, and doesn't require a gun.

I like deer jerky as much as the next guy, but come on. Just be honest and say you wanna shoot poo poo.

It's frustrating to me more that the way that conservatives want to 'enjoy nature' by trampling it with ATVs and bringing their beer cans and their modern conveniences, and then have the gall to call themselves outdoorsman. I'd rather they not be out there killing things, but yeah, we do need ways to keep the deer population under control because we stupidly hosed up the ecosystem for hundreds of years and it's not like you can stuff that genie back in the bottle. Sometimes I think I'd just be happy if enjoying hunting didn't always seem to correlate with a whole lot of other douchey behaviors and opinions, but maybe my redneck family is the exception, not the rule. I futilely hope so, anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

darthbob88 posted:

That's also 7c/gallon going towards expanding Exxon Manor, vs 46c/gallon keeping my roads from getting even more potholed. I know which one I'm happier with.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that that's complete bullshit anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've found one of the most frustrating things about working in retail again is that even my co-workers who self-identify as liberal are always pissed at minimum wage increases. Hint: if your raises keep getting eclipsed by minimum wage, it's not minimum wage you should direct your anger at.

Hell, even my girlfriend who agrees with Bernie's platform in full will say poo poo like, "but you know, there ARE people that take advantage of the system." I feel like the Republicans are winning in certain ways just because repeating lies and stereotypes has poisoned the well on certain topics. We, as Americans, are just supposed to take at face value the fact that welfare fraud is a Real Serious Issue even when statistically and economically it's insignificant, especially when compared to corporate welfare and tax evasion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I get this too and it drives me mad. We're a county contractor in mental health and a few months ago the county workers were striking for more money and my coworkers were annoyed because hey, they already make way more than we do! I pointed out that if we had a union we might be able to negotiate better wages and was told that if we had a union we'd probably just shut down because reasons. :psyduck: Most of the people I work with are basically dirty commies to boot, I don't get it.

Oh yeah, unions. We can blame the Republicans for poisoning that well too. I have a friend who works for Boeing who posts poo poo about loving his 'Boeing money' and uses his next breath to say something pissy about the union.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guavanaut posted:

There are. They exist. But ask them if they're prepared to burn the village to save it. If they're prepared to let good people suffer to teach bad people a lesson.
It's not only morally abhorrent to say yes to that, it's totally loving stupid. It's like throwing out a perfectly good engine because it's not 100% efficient, or throwing an innocent person in prison because sometimes there are guilty people who get away with crime.

Yeah, I usually just respond with "and? Why is that important? What should we be doing about it, realistically?" Then it becomes really clear that she hasn't really thought about it all the way through and I guess just wants to seem even-handed or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seiferguy posted:

Which union is he in? Or is he non-union support staff? Also, even the most right wing of employees at Boeing has looked at what they've done for worker rights and think "Yep, this is good for the company" when they've posted record deliveries, while at the same time cutting pensions, healthcare, bonuses, and jobs.

He's a mechanic, and it's weird because he's not even a super right wing guy, especially compared to some of the super racist crazy co workers that post poo poo on his fb wall.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's a wall of text response I received today, in response to a post I made about economic class being fair game for differentiating tax brackets.

Lol, what, does this guy make like 10.80 an hour or something?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's sad that he's skittish, sounds like he may have been beaten by one of his former masters. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's a part of it that's also rooted in the fact that modern conservatives are operating so far outside the bounds of reality, that they have no real concept of what other people might find funny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Amused to Death posted:

Like god drat, everyone in my store does the same, and when it comes to holidays we generally don't have the option of saying no, except the good deal of these people are at or within a few dollars of minimum wage.

My boss and I joke about how little my bachelor's does for me (I am a department manager in a retail store) and it kills me a little bit each time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TerminalSaint posted:

Yeah, the only interaction I've had with the IRS outside normal filing was when they sent me a letter saying "We checked your filing and you paid too much, here's a check for what's yours."

I get a check from the US Treasury once a year for like 1.40 and I have no idea why. I used to just rip them up because who the hell would go through the effort but now that I can "deposit" them with my phone I just take the 5 seconds. Thanks for half a coffee, Uncle Sam!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

xrunner posted:

The easy solution to this is to not order IPAs. I can't stand porters, even the smell makes me want to puke. I've never once bitched at a bar or restaurant for having them on tap. I swear, people who don't like IPAs are the contemporary version of people in the 90s who didn't own TVs.

:hfive: The meteoric rise of the IPA as the quintessential NW micro has led to a lot of obnoxious unearned hate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jurgan posted:

I agree, but Hillary Clinton and PP execs were outraged at the suggestion. To be fair, Sanders said they're part of the establishment "that we're fighting against," which was probably a mistake. They're part of the Democratic Party establishment, but Clinton argued they're not "establishment" because they're constantly under fire and not respected. Really, though, the whole thing was a mind-numblingly stupid semantic argument- is there any doubt that both Clinton and Sanders support PP?

To be fair, I feel like it's pretty obnoxious that PP and NARAL have thrown down for Hillary, when Bernie has pushed for expanded healthcare access via single payer. The cheerleading for a woman candidate no matter the platform is a little worrying.

Full disclosure: I worked for a PP affiliate for several years, and while they do so much good, they are a very big machine and don't always have the best track record with stuff like LGBTQ issues, especially at the clinic level. They also treat their lower level, low wage employees about as poorly as any other big company, which is pretty shameful considering what they take in and what they spend on their political and educational arms.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maybe if Trump gets the presidency the Dems will wisen up and nominate a progressive next time instead of giving us a milquetoast 80s Republican to vote for.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

razorrozar posted:

you're assuming the country will last another election cycle if trump gets elected

Dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed, I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

e_angst posted:

The ACA did result in doctors being removed from the system, though. Mostly through older doctors deciding to retire earlier than they would have otherwise rather than having to change their offices over to the new electronic records requirements.

Not that there weren't more net positives than negatives overall, but this was indeed one of the negatives.

:rolleyes: A bloo bloo bloo, I can't join the 21st century.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SSNeoman posted:

This is the same guy who posts the anti-Islam and anti-feminist stuff.

Was there any truth to the rumor that the picture on the bottom was actually taken after the first and was made to intentionally mock it? Because that would be amazing but it also is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JVNO posted:

Yeah, the whole body paint as loving pants thing in comics/videogames is even starting to bug me. And I'm a butt guy! But I can almost feel the greasiness dripping off whatever artist or focus group developed most of these wank fantasy characters.

This is entirely true, but yoga pants as casual wear is something that has exploded in the last few years and it's not a huge leap to see fashion trends reflected in character art.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also gently caress the "college degree" people. Bitch, I have one, and thanks to the lovely economy I am still doing a retail management job, and the poo poo I have to do and put up with is worth a hell of a whole lot than what they are paying me. It's the government's job at this point to step in and halt the race to the bottom in terms of how crappy we can treat our low wage workers (who are doing all the actual hard work that keeps our business running).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So not sure if this is the right thread for this, but half the time the posts in here are asking how to argue with right-wing memes, so here goes:

I was thinking that, were a 15 dollar federal minimum wage enacted tomorrow, would it really be all that useful without other massive, systemic changes? Like given the current tax structure, would too many people even see that much difference in their actual take home pay? I'm all in favor of it but it's something I hadn't really thought of until now, and it occurred to me that without changes to our education system, prison, policing, and tax structures, a 15 dollar minimum wage wouldn't really do much to fix many of the problems of being poor in the US.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thanks for all the input on the last page to my dumb questions. I am a poor person and would certainly love to make more money, it's just hard for me right now to conceptualize what that would like. Especially since around 6 years ago, I was making about 15-16 bucks an hour (for about five months) and it honestly didn't feel like my life was all that different. But I was single at the time and most of my income was disposable anyway so I don't really have a great point of comparison now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Playstation 4 posted:

Yes your candidate lost, and is surrounded by a loud bunch of idiots proclaiming absolute bullshit like "Hitlery is a Republican!", "Primary Fraud!", and " Benghazi and Emails!".

Berniebros deserve every bit of mockery they get at this point the moment so many started saying they'd vote loving Trump.

There was plenty of fuckery surrounding many of the primaries so I'm not sure where you get your smug superiority from.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When such a small percentage of people hold the vast majority of wealth and power in this country, it's not really a conspiracy theory anymore. But sure yeah everything is okay and the system is working just fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KillerJunglist posted:

I feel like anyone who posts a "PEE WITH MY DAUGHTER NO NEVER UH UH!" macro probably unironically wears one of these shirts (or sweaters, I guess):

If their daughter's don't already hate them, I'm sure they will eventually.

Uhh. Uhh. *dabs forehead furiously with handkerchief* uhh no one's touching my baby girl EXCEPT ME. Just can't imagine anyone else touching on those sweet curves and kissing them lips. Daddy's girl forever. - a totally mainstream dad, not weird and hosed up at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How many shares for our (hot, white, sexualized representation of) our women in the military??? Remember, these are the same dudes who are no doubt saying some of the most vulgar degrading poo poo constantly about actual women in the service. Oh, and raping them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean, given the state of the world, unsustainable population growth and first world living, and where we are with climate change, the decision to have children is fairly narcissistic and selfish. And of course, adoption is only ever for other people. It's soooo hard to do, they want to make sure that you can provide an adequate home and everything.

It's okay though, your child is a special snowflake who's going to cure cancer or bring world peace or something and it was definitely absolutely necessary for you to breed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lancemantis posted:

They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay. 

Lol. Yeah, so does everyone stuck working in food service and retail, but I bet any one of them would like to have the pay and benefits of any police officer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ha, I'm a huge nerd and the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, in which Sanctuary Districts were basically ghettos for poor people in a period where the US was trying to get over its post-scarcity growing pains.

:ironicat:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wahh why aren't they asking tough questions about made up bullshit we keep bringing up??? :qq:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chimera-gui posted:

So my dumbass aunt discovered a rancid pile of dog vomit and sent this rancid pile of dog vomit to me today: here

:confused: Am I parsing this sentence correctly?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That reminds me of the time I shared an article titled "Sorry Black People, but Trayvon Wasn't Jesus" or something like that, and despite the title it was a pretty well written article discussing the fact that in order to get white people to care about black people getting killed by cops you have to basically have a black person who is basically Jesus get murdered because horrible white people will dredge up their past to find reasons to justify their deaths.

Of course my whackadoo right wing moron uncle posts something like "yeah, that's right!" in response and I was like, "uh, did you even bother to read the loving article?"

I think there's probably a not insignificant portion of idiots who simply read headlines on things posted on fb and extrapolate all the details they need from there. I guarantee you they lie to their friends and say "I read an article that-" and repeat these lies so many times that they start to just believe it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Saw a gem the other day on a pickup truck with your typical hunting/fishing bullshit. One was the Confederate flag (I live in the Pacific Northwest) and the other had really small print that read "Stay back 100 feet or you will be shot" and had Arabic text underneath (that I am assuming was a translation of the English text.) These are the people I visualize rolling their vehicles over on the freeway or wrapping them around a tree at 100 mph.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 26, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is a takeoff of an actual sign hung on the back of convoy vehicles in Iraq.

I assumed as much, still seems like a garbage human being by any and all accounts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It makes sense as a literal sign in Iraq, but as a bumper-sticker in Texas it indicates an rear end in a top hat.

Well yeah, in Iraq it makes sense, in Washington State it might as well read "I'm a loving tool."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Based on porn viewing habits and age of consent laws, I'd say the typical American dude at least fantasizes about loving high school girls on a fairly regular basis, if not actually doing so in states in which it is legal.

I don't see this changing as long as we keep attributing women's desirability and worth to their ability to maintain a youthful appearance well into their 40s and 50s.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Veteran here. The military is a medical nightmare. If you have diabetes then you just die, whether you're deployed or stateside, doesn't matter, it's a death sentence. Got a cut? Better hope it doesn't get infected because the best you can hope for is an amputation.

That's why care packages are so important to the military. They don't have access to clean food or water or even clothing. If you don't get a care package with socks, it's just bare feet in your boots.

I realize this is a joke post, but isn't diabetes a condition that would disqualify you from military service?

Just asking because I'm curious. I am a type 1 diabetic with no interest in serving in the military and am probably too old now anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WampaLord posted:

From my understanding, they'll screen you out if you're diabetic pre-enlisting, but if you develop it after you've joined, they will let you stay on.

:thumbsup:

I wonder if it's limited to certain specialities. I seriously cannot imagine the logistics of going into the field as an insulin dependent diabetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not all diabetics are insulin dependent, but if the medical board lets you stay in it's often with a permanent "non-deployable" status. HIV+ servicemembers are often classified similarly.

I know that, which is why I specified insulin dependent. I'm just imagining trying to keep your poo poo sterile out in the field, and hoping you didn't smash your vial of insulin when you dropped into cover or something.