Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
Every scientific endeavour has value and worth, if only because each new thing discovered is there for someone to pick up later and apply. Engineering benefits from biology for instance, in that there are some structural problems nature solved long ago. Theoretical research is best done by governments because that research generally isn't a money maker and because private entities are all too happy to lock up new discoveries under patent law. 2.5. Billion is a pittance to the government, a fraction of a fighter plane built using yesterday's tech.
It may seem like a priveliged Western fantasy, but space exploration is a necessity. We live on a finite planet with finite resources with an infrastructure increasingly dependent on the rarest of those resources-even the thriftiest of societies will eventually run out of poo poo. Better that the countries who can most afford it lay out the groundwork before we start bombing people for rare earth metals to put in iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
I know it doesn't get much traction here, particularly after the recent shootings in CO and WI, but as someone pretty loving leftist in politics, I've still maintained a pretty pro-gun opinion. Now granted, I'm from the Midwest and was raised in a military family and so guns were just kind of part of growing up, but even a cursory look at the history of labor and civil rights in this country indicates to me that an armed working class is in a better position to demand fair conditions.
(Pro-gun does not mean I'm not all for background checks, waiting periods and requiring extensive licensing fees for automatic or miltary surplus weapons)
I also find the argument that the US would nuke a domestic uprising silly. Salt the earth policies aren't generally worthwhile in civil wars.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
I'm aware of the use of military forces to break labor disputes, I just don't see it going beyond conventional weapons, nor do I believe, given the recent actions of some police, that government would necessarily balk at using weapons on unarmed citizenry. Truthfully, if you could guarantee me a far better social safety net, universal mental health care and humane rehabilitative prison reform, which I'd think would go much further towards alleviating the causes of such crimes, I'd dump my guns tomorrow.
At any rate I have no emails to offer, so I'll stop my part in the derail now.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
Man, she is gonna love Ender's Game then.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
I know about the PaulBomb, but is there something comparable for Glenn Beck?

I'm spending a lot of time with my dad, and things go easier if we just talk about fishing and the military.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
I've got electric everything for lawn care (with commonality with batteries) which should last until I cover every inch with berry bushes and trees and garden space. Grass lawns are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, let's use the steel that got mangled and submerged in salt water.

To say nothing of its state prior to collapse. American bridge infrastructure hasn't got the greatest of reputations.